Unconventional ways to get to different places

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Unconventional ways to get to different places

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:50 pm

I was wanting to know more places that require some odd means or condition(s) in order to get there. Here's an example of the ones that I was able to think of: using a circle of mushrooms to enter Faeryland, or heading toward the second star on the right to reach Neverland. (I kind of thought that a rainbow was involved when it came to getting to Ponyland, but I can't seem to see any evidence of that, at least so far. The ponies just seem to fly up into the sky, and then down once at their destination.) I'm not sure if Oz counts, since I don't think the novels say anything beyond it being isolated by a (deadly) desert, and in the movie it seems to be a dream.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Unconventional ways to get to different places

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 am

Places that are odd or unusual in how get to.... Depends on definition of unusual... But how about:

- Buck Rodgers - having to go through a black hole to get tot he alternate earth.
- Dr Who Tardis - Police call box bigger on the inside
- El Hazard - Malfunctioning Eye of God Combined with Makoto Mizuharas high school science experiment.
- Dog Days, how the evil princess lied to the supposed hero in stating he could not go back home through the supposed 1 way portal. (my understanding was they were never caught and taken to task for that dreadful lie)
- Escaflowne - the girls pendant allows for jumping between earth and hidden moon
- Fate/Stay Night - Reality Marble... using magic to enter your soul
- Inu Yasha - his fathers grave is in a subspace pocket in his eye
- Gatekeepers main base entrances under gas station and school
- Hellsing - Alucards Soulsscape, if that is what want to call it
- Kannasuki no miko - how they get to the moon
- Real Bout high school - how they get tot he battle scenes
- Revolutionary Girl Utena Series and Movie - how escape from school and consequences
- Magic Knight Rayearth... portal to Cephiro is in Tokyo Tower
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - alternate space their fights normally take place in.
- Orguss - The way the earth has been shattered by the disassociated idioblast.
- Slayers - where Lina Communs with the energy sphere form of the book...
- Star Trek, the mirror universe, several different methods used to get there scattered between the different series. Original method was a transporter accident.
- Tenchi Movie 1 - where he fights Kain in subspace
- Tenchi Movie 2 Daughter of Darkness - where he fights Yuzuha
- the Legend of Black Heaven - how he uses a bathroom entrance to access the space ships in orbit
- Shakugan no Shana... the method of transport between the normal reality and the sealed of dimension of darkness and monsters.
- Toaru Kagaku no Index - building where Crowley hangs out, the building with no windows and doors
- Toaru Kagaku no Index - the imaginary number building and project, yielding the girl.
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya - Closed Space and the IDSE/Chorus sealed spaces and similar shadow weaves.
- Zero no Tsukaima (Familiar of Zero) - the Princess Henriettas Bedroom being connected to Saitos home in the last season.

Oh... and there is La Blue Girl... the ritual used to get to the skhima realm.

That is all I can think of off the hop, as the saying goes, though I do not think some of that is along the lines you are looking for.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 am

Unfortunately, you're right. I was thinking more along the lines of the means or conditions not being understood, expected or supported by the experiences of the individuals who encounter them. The second star to the right may be those three things to at least some of the denizens of Neverland, but not to someone on Earth.

I just remembered Alice in Wonderland. Unless Alice's trip to Wonderland was just a dream, I'd also count the rabbit hole.

I think a good way to put it, is that the means or conditions are such that someone would have to stumble upon them by chance unless someone from those other places gave an introduction to them. I wouldn't rule out a tool or something developed, but the closer to, "that's just how it is," the better.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:- El Hazard - Malfunctioning Eye of God Combined with Makoto Mizuharas high school science experiment.

Depends on continuity. OAVs version its only the Eye of God (or Ifurita duplicating it's power) that transport people to and from El-Hazard.

Or if you prefer the more poetic version from the opening narration (dub version): "If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you."

PCHeintz72 wrote:- Fate/Stay Night - Reality Marble... using magic to enter your soul[
]

Techincally a Reality Marble is using to temporarily overwrite your interior reality outwards, on to the world, at least at full manifestation. Unlimited Blade Works and Depletion Garden at least have other effects that make them useful even when they're not fully manifested.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm

(I kind of thought that a rainbow was involved when it came to getting to Ponyland

Dunno about that, but a rainbow is involved if you want to get between Asgård and Midgård.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifr%C3%B6st

Hmm, there´s 12 kingdoms, where sometimes people end up on earth or vice versa, i don´t remember how it happened though, pretty random i think.

Red Dwarf has the teleportation device that malfunctions and sends people off a bit of anywhere... :mrgreen:

Rosario to Vampire has the tunnel into the hidden area.

Himiko-den has an amulet that makes the main character go *poof* between worlds without anyone trying to make it happen.

Zipang and The Final Countdown has a weird storm displace the ships in time.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

There is also a rainbow involved in transport for Care Bares, IIRC...

Depends on continuity. OAVs version its only the Eye of God (or Ifurita duplicating it's power) that transport people to and from El-Hazard.

I know... in the OAV's it was Ifurita and he was a English student. In the TV he was a science student
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research