Sealing a lot of air in ice, or liquifying it

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: Sealing a lot of air in ice, or liquifying it

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 am

Now that I think about it... If there are no oceans for the moon's gravity to pull on, what happens there? O_o
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Now that I think about it... If there are no oceans for the moon's gravity to pull on, what happens there? O_o

I do not think much at all... the earth has had ice ages before... even if this would be bigger...

I could potentially see maybe a slight rise in earthquakes... The water in liquid form might well have been buffering the moons affect since it is by nature fluid...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby XofderXofder » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 am

Now that I think about it... If there are no oceans for the moon's gravity to pull on, what happens there? O_o

If the process of the freeze is at a regular pace then tidal flexing will most differently still occur. The moons constant pulling actually generates friction in the oceans which generates heat which would make a layer of ice on top with ocean deep underneath. It's one of the reasons some people believe that their may be life on Europa one of Jupiter's moons because of the ocean underneath all of the ice might actual sustain some micro organisms which do not require oxygen. However if all the Earth's water was to be frozen at once I'm not exactly sure what would happen. That probably doesn't have any hold on whether man will survive or not but that is what happens.

A way you could freeze the world in a 'believable' fashion, I guess, would be to rapidly deplete the atmosphere's CO2 and other greenhouse gases. This would lead to the Earth being unable to hold heat meaning at first a slow cooling but it would begin to accelerate quite quickly with the oceans freezing and more reflection of the sun's heat. Maybe Earth's scientists came up with a 'cure' for global warming by removing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere only for it to somehow go wildly out of control leading to the freezing of the planet. Depends on how you want to go about it I suppose.
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Fic Research