Locking Children out as a Punishment

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Locking Children out as a Punishment

Postby Knight of Ranko » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Seen it happen once in Sailor Moons Pilot Episode.

Read somewhere this form of punishment was common in japan once, but cant find the article anymore, anyone else have info on it?
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Re: Locking Children out as a Punishment

Postby mondu_the_fat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:02 am

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=623
Children are sometimes punished by being locked out of the house. Children often cry with fierce shrieks when this happens."From our bedroom window," Downs wrote in the Washington Post, "I saw Satoshi, a little boy of 5 or 6, pounding on his front door and frantically screaming to be allowed back in. Over and over again he repeated that he would do what she wanted only 'Please mother, let me in. Please! Please!' I have never heard a child as desperate as that boy. The threat of separation from his mother was profoundly disturbing, and it was clear he was willing to do anything to avoid it."

The rest of the article would have some insight on why this works, like:

Watching a group of young children at a playground long-time Tokyo resident Lavina Downs wrote in the Washington Post: "None of the toddlers would ever stray more than 20 yards from their mother; an invisible cord seemed to pull them back. The women chatted with each other but rarely spoke directly to their children. Nevertheless, I seldom sensed anything but affection and trust, often spiced with good humor, between mothers and children.” [Source: Lavinia Downs, Washington Post, April 3, 1994]

If that is true, being locked out of the house would be pretty effective punishment.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:47 am

The Japanese mother is commonly the parent that is around the children the most, thus doing most of the raising. On top of that they also tend to be the authority figure in the home, where it's not uncommon for them to manage the finances while giving the husband an allowance from the money he earned.

Something related to the importance of the mother involves a question of whether a man saves his wife or his mother if they are both drowning and he can save only one. The right answer is to save the mother, because -- while a wife can be replaced -- there is only ever one mother.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Note that this view is why Genma wanted to go on the training trip with Ranma in "Ranma 1/2". By Japanese custom Nodoka would have run the household and would likely have stopped Genma from doing anything too extreme. Though, other than the neko-ken, there's nothing in canon that says his training was as drastic as fanon says.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Drawde wrote:Note that this view is why Genma wanted to go on the training trip with Ranma in "Ranma 1/2". By Japanese custom Nodoka would have run the household and would likely have stopped Genma from doing anything too extreme. Though, other than the neko-ken, there's nothing in canon that says his training was as drastic as fanon says.

Clear indication that Genma wanted to be the momma. :lol:
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:26 pm

LawOhki wrote:Clear indication that Genma wanted to be the momma. :lol:
Not the Mama!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaurs_(TV_series)
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:38 pm

It's also why Ranma does what he does to not disappoint her. There's an article on it by a fan...

[url]
http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A2203598[/url]
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:It's also why Ranma does what he does to not disappoint her. There's an article on it by a fan...

[url]
http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A2203598[/url]

What a garbage article. Anything good is swallowed up by the need to fit into pairings and fanon.

I think this line pretty much sums up how little knowledge that guy has.

after all, he was running around with his father for most of his life, and he probably didn't even know what girls were till he met the Amazons in China!
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Return to Fic Research