Logical Extensions of Power sets.

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Logical Extensions of Power sets.

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:43 am

I was driving home from class (College Math) earlier today, and started thinking about some of the applications of electricity and electromagnetism. And I got to thinking of what could happen if a lightning element user like Makoto ended up with an Applied Science degree in electrical engineering and possibly a background in the related nuclear physics.

When I started stringing the related theory behind different tiers of electrico-magnetism together, I ended up with quite a wicked little cluster of abilities should 'could' produce simply by fine tuning her ability to manipulate electricity.

Here's a chart.

Mind you, the chart is neither exhaustive, nor does it go into exactly WHAT is required, but just touches on the concepts available to her just by layering additional knowlege sets on top of her basic skills.

Quite frankly, when I essentially worked my way to 'fusion cannon' after only starting with 'lightning bolt', I started laughing.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Logical Extensions of Power sets.

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 am

Well, considering how Saturn uses a "can opener of death," scientific knowledge shouldn't hurt. ;p

There's one thing I'm curious about, concerning electromagnetic fields. I once saw a documentary a long time ago about how objects fly or float (depending on their weight) in the air when they are in an electromagnetic field (a strong one, I'm supposing), once a person enters said field. I was wondering if that could be put to use, since I've had no success finding anything about it since I recalled it a few years ago.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:09 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:There's one thing I'm curious about, concerning electromagnetic fields. I once saw a documentary a long time ago about how objects fly or float (depending on their weight) in the air when they are in an electromagnetic field (a strong one, I'm supposing), once a person enters said field. I was wondering if that could be put to use, since I've had no success finding anything about it since I recalled it a few years ago.

You might be thinking of an Electrohyrdodynamic Thruster or EHD. It uses what's known as the Biefeld-Brown effect which basically means passing very high voltage between two electrodes set up in such a way that causes the air around them to ionise and flow from one electrode to the other in such a way to produce a net thrust effect. Depending on how high you crank the power it could either just negate the force of gravity to float/hover or with more power fly.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:28 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:There's one thing I'm curious about, concerning electromagnetic fields. I once saw a documentary a long time ago about how objects fly or float (depending on their weight) in the air when they are in an electromagnetic field (a strong one, I'm supposing), once a person enters said field. I was wondering if that could be put to use, since I've had no success finding anything about it since I recalled it a few years ago.

It's simple enough. Iron is strongly drawn to a magnet (or more exactly, is drawn to regions of increasing magnetic field). It is ferromagnetic. Some substances are paramagnetic, and are weakly drawn to a magnet. And some substances are diamagnetic, and weakly repelled by a magnet. (A superconducting object is strongly diamagnetic; thus the demonstration of a magnet floating in the air above a superconductor.)

Most organic materials are diamagnetic. If you get a powerful enough magnetic field, they'll float in the air above the magnet. I've seen a video featuring a frog, a grasshopper, and an acorn floating. (No, they don't walk into a bar.) If you had a large and powerful magnet, people would float.

But there is a fly in the ointment. You need a large and powerful magnet. The frog in the video was tiny, even smaller than the acorn. I don't think there's a magnet on Earth powerful enough to levitate a cane toad, let alone a human. And if you did it in the open air, every scrap of iron in the vicinity would home in on the toad/human/youma and smush it.

Jupiter would be well advised to simply use magnetism to control the iron, if the goal is the smushing.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:42 am

Was it that? From what I remember of the documentary, there were various objects sitting on a table in a nondescript room (that I don't recall had anything else in it). I can only remember a bag of groceries and a bowling ball being among the things on the table. It was specifically said that the objects moved because of the person's entrance into (what I remember, but I could be wrong) the electromagnetic field being generated. The lighter objects shot into the air, while I clearly remember the bowling ball hovering an inch or two over the table.

Knight of L-sama wrote:You might be thinking of an Electrohyrdodynamic Thruster or EHD. It uses what's known as the Biefeld-Brown effect which basically means passing very high voltage between two electrodes set up in such a way that causes the air around them to ionise and flow from one electrode to the other in such a way to produce a net thrust effect. Depending on how high you crank the power it could either just negate the force of gravity to float/hover or with more power fly.

It wasn't that. What I'm talking about was also used as a theory (possibly in the same documentary) to explain the poltergeist effect (things seemingly moved from their original location as if by a ghost), focusing on residences near transmission towers and the like.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:22 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:It wasn't that. What I'm talking about was also used as a theory (possibly in the same documentary) to explain the poltergeist effect (things seemingly moved from their original location as if by a ghost), focusing on residences near transmission towers and the like.

Oh, well a program like that is composed of equal quantities of ignorance, bullshit, and lies. Not very heavy on the statistics, though.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:It wasn't that. What I'm talking about was also used as a theory (possibly in the same documentary) to explain the poltergeist effect (things seemingly moved from their original location as if by a ghost), ...

Feh. I can do that all by myself without having to involve a poltergeist.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Me, too. :P

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Oh, well a program like that is composed of equal quantities of ignorance, bullshit, and lies. Not very heavy on the statistics, though.

That could very well be.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon