Some more questions about Sailormoon

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 pm

DCG wrote:- Anime only question: How did Pluto convince Hotaru's dad to give Hotaru to her? Did she kidnap her?
The dad’s dead. He was a youma to long and the outers didn’t ‘t even try to heal him before they took em out.

Anime version DCG. He's alive at the end of S but his mind is pretty much swiss cheese. I'd lay good odds that he might not have even noticed her being taken. How Setsuna finagled her way past the nurses and the beuracrats is another story.
As for comparisons between Akane and the Senshi, well untransformed Makoto is able to life more than her own body weight (specifically an armoured youma) over her head and throw it several metres without an excessive degree of effort she's probably not that far behind Akane in terms of stregnth, even before transformations. When transformed she's proven that she can withstand truly phenomonal amounts of punishment when she shielded Usagi from Neherenia is Stars so I'd have to give the fight to Jupiter. Uranus doesn't seem to be as strong physically but she's faster than Jupiter and speed is one of Akane's weak points so I'd probably give that much up to the senshi as well.
As for a normal sword vs the Haruka's Space Sword, doesn't matter who's weilding it the Space Sword is going to slice right through it. It's just too sharp.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:49 pm

But Matako didn't lift a Youma over her head she used a judo throw which is common in Martial arts and uses mostly the momentium of the enemy. It's taught in almost all self defense classes and the one I went to had a 100 pound girl throw a guy that looked to be three times her size as demonstation on it's effectiveness.
Akane is not slow. She's slow in comparision to Ranma and Shampoo. (just like she's weak when compared to Ranma and Ryoga) Akane is fast enough to swing around and catch an arrow aimed at her back. She is fast enough to dodge the Orachi's heads trying to catch her. She's fast enough to avoid Ryoga when he was trying to hug her (barely). She is fast enough to take on multiple attackers at once as seen during the Pheonix arc and during the hentai horde battles. She is fast enough that the pheonix people were having trouble keeping up with her when she was running and she was dodging arrows at the time. She is fast enough that she was almost able to take on an entire volleyball team by herself (not quite fast enough though but she was really close). Also Akane has demostrated that she has been trained in the use of the sword (at least enough to battle Kuno for a short time).
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:55 pm

Oh and not that this has to do with anything but does strengthen the theory that they have no disguise magic I thought it was really funny when Venus dressed as Sailormoon so that the enemy would stop thinking Usagi was Sailormoon

I suspect she was using the disguise pen, and Usagi could see through it since she was obviously in a position to know it was fake.
Also, Venus was operating as a decoy for the princess for a long time as Sailor V.
And the fact that Kaolinite fell for that ploy actually suggests that they do have disguise magic.
Also pale wolf in reply to one of your earlier comments I think judging by other actions that they would spend time climbing up just to be dramatic especially Tuxedo Kamen and the outers minus Saturn.

You obviously have a lower opinion of the Outers than I do.
But how's this for evidence of impressive jumping abilities?
I don't have the episode number, but it was the first one in S. Uranus and Neptune started off their appearance in that episode in a rather tall tree. When they left, they used short, easy - ie not straining themselves in the slightest - leaps that bounced them up to the level of the treetops. That indicates that the Senshi can jump at least one or two stories - and since they were actually seen making the jumps, they obviously didn't climb anywhere to be dramatic.
But Matako didn't lift a Youma over her head she used a judo throw which is common in Martial arts and uses mostly the momentium of the enemy.

She lifted it over her head. It was like unto the fricken hulk.
Akane is not slow. She's slow in comparision to Ranma and Shampoo. (just like she's weak when compared to Ranma and Ryoga) Akane is fast enough to swing around and catch an arrow aimed at her back. She is fast enough to dodge the Orachi's heads trying to catch her. She's fast enough to avoid Ryoga when he was trying to hug her (barely). She is fast enough to take on multiple attackers at once as seen during the Pheonix arc and during the hentai horde battles. She is fast enough that the pheonix people were having trouble keeping up with her when she was running and she was dodging arrows at the time. She is fast enough that she was almost able to take on an entire volleyball team by herself (not quite fast enough though but she was really close). Also Akane has demostrated that she has been trained in the use of the sword (at least enough to battle Kuno for a short time).

AM, since you've obviously already decided what answers you are going to use, why did you bother asking?
She is fast enough to take on multiple attackers at once as seen during the Pheonix arc and during the hentai horde battles.

These were explicitly stated to be shit that happened to resmble the form of a fighter.
lso Akane has demostrated that she has been trained in the use of the sword (at least enough to battle Kuno for a short time).

She used a shinai. Which is almost as far as you can get from a sword's handling characteristics while still maintaining the basic 'long spar of something' form. A lead pipe's better.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby antimatterenergy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:53 pm

The thing is I don't know if the senshi are faster than Akane or Akane's faster than them. I'm listing Akanes feats. I am hoping that someone can give me feats from the anime that show they are faster. I don't like just saying well they're magically enhanced they must be faster. I want some feats of them doing stuff fast. The enhancement maybe less than Akane's speed or the enhancement was so into giving them energy attacks that whoever made it might not of put a lot of speed enhancements. I'm just trying to place the Senshi's stats compared to the Ranma world. If someone can prove they're faster then Akane I'd of asked are they faster than Shampoo well giving some of her feats or just judged where in the Ranmaverse their feats put them.
Pale wolf if you look at the last post of the page before this I listed the senshi's jumping feats that I could find and then compared them to Akane's best. In comparison I came up with the conclusion that they can jump at about the same height as Akane give or take a little. (around 2.5 stories from the feats I've seen them perform includeing Tuxedo Kamen but not the cats)
I also never said that they did climb up to be dramatic only that from what I've seen that might be something they would do. Also since they seem to just wait for the right moment to join the fight and a high point would be good for viewing the fight.
When was the hentai horde (a fannon term I believe) ever "explicitly stated to be shit". The were a group of people attacking Akane en-mass, some were Martial artists (sumo for example), some were armed with weapon and they all appeared to be athletic. They were low scale for the series but there were a lot of them and they weren't weak like Gosunkugi.
Can you tell me what episode that Matako lifted a Youma over her head because the way I remember she did a judo like toss and not a straight lift ? I'd like to youtube/download the episode to see it becuase that is not the way I remember it.
Akane may have used a shinai but it still is a sword (sorta) and in the right/wrong person's hands it can be deadly. Hell Kuno can cut tree's down using one. Anyways I was just mentioning that Akane has some training. Though looking back I don't know why I mentioned it at all since it had nothing to do with the rest of the paragraph.
I'm not really a big Akane fan but I also try and not under estimate her. I try to judge the characthers by the feats they performed.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:09 am

The thing is I don't know if the senshi are faster than Akane. I'm listing Akanes feats. I am hoping that someone can give me feats from the anime that show they are faster. I don't like just saying well they're magically enhanced they must be faster. I want some feats of them doing stuff fast. The enhancement maybe less than Akane's speed or the enhancement was so into giving them energy attacks that whoever made it might not of put a lot of speed enhancements. I'm just trying to place the Senshi's stats compared to the Ranma world. If someone can prove they're faster then Akane I'd of asked are they faster than Shampoo well giving some of her feats.

Don't.
They're two different worlds, concieved and brought to life by different artists. They show events at different paces, different types of events...
But this much is fact. The senshi are intended to fight against world-ending threats. It is ridiculous to think that a hobbyist martial artist could outperform them.
The fact that Takahashi chose to focus on martial arts and Takeuchi preferred to focus on the energy-slinging is irrelevant. Just because Takeuchi didn't feel like constantly rubbing our noses in how cool (in a physical sense) her characters are doesn't mean they're not quicker.
Pale wolf if you look at the last post of the page before this I listed the senshi's jumping feats that I could find and then compared them to Akane's best. In comparison I came up with the conclusion that they can jump at about the same height as Akane maybe a little less.

You listed Senshi jumping feats, and you compared them to Akane without listing anything Akane did.
When was the hentai horde (a fannon term I believe) ever "explicitly stated to be shit". The were a group of people attacking Akane en-mass, some were Martial artists (sumo for example), some were armed with weapon and they all appeared to be athletic. They were low scale for the series but there were a lot of them and they were armed.

Actually, I was grouping in the hentai horde with the Phoenix army since they were about equal - mass fighters of no consequence only used to scatter bodies about the area.
And you mention there were practicioners of sumo. Yes, sumo is a martial art, but it is one dependent on grappling. Even Akane would be moving too fast to get caught up in such a grapple.
And yeah, it's a fanon term, but you were using it, and it gets the idea across.
Can you tell me what episode that Matako lifted a Youma over her head because the way I remember she did a judo like toss and not a straight lift ? I'd like to youtube/download the episode to see it.

Her intro episode. No idea what the number is, but it was the one where Jupiter first appeared.
Akane may have used a shinai but it still is a sword (sorta) and in the right/wrong person's hands it can be deadly.

Yeah. If you shove it down their throat.
You're thinking of a bokken, as indicated by your comment on Kuno cutting down a tree.
Here's the difference - a bokken is a length of hard wood, similar in performance characteristics to a katana. A bokken actually can hurt someone, and pretty easily.
A shinai is a length of bamboo. It is whippy - it doesn't have the solidity to be anything like a real blade in performance, and the skills you use to take advantage of a shinai are only tangentially related to the skills used for a bokken or real sword.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:30 am

Yeah but if I'm combining the world in a fanfiction I'll have to place the charachters stengths in comparison to each other and that is what I'm trying to do. Also world destroying threats don't mean that much to me since you can destroy the world with a big enough rock but that doesn't mean the rock has any other abilities or that that the world destroying threat needs two hundred years to gather the power needed to destroy the world. For some threats speeds don't matter so the senshi can be massively slower and physically weaker while still being able to deal with the threat.
For instance if the threat to the world was Gosunkugi with an antimatter bomb you wouldn't need any powers to stop him but he is a threat to the entire world.
Also the minions aren't world destroying threats, even the generals aren't world destroying threats. At most I'd list them as city destroying.
Akane is a hobbyist compared to Ranma, Ryoga, and the other high end fighters but she is considered to practice a hell of a lot more then most people in her world. She runs before school, practices by herself, tries and hit Ranma for several hours, lifts weights in her room, and is on sports teams at school. So she is way more fit then any hobbyist.
I listed one of Akanes jumping feats in the first post of this thread. Akane was able to jump over the orachi's head while said head and body which I estimate to be around 2.5 stories judging by how high it was compared to the surroundings and its size compared to her. Another of her jumping feats is to jump to the top of the dragon tap from the cave opening she was standing at.
With the Hentai horde Akane would still need some pretty good skill and speed becuase of the number of fighters attacking and that they were average people probably above average since they were athletes and able to take the beating Akane gave them and come back for more the next day.
Also those were the pheonix military who were supposedly trained by Kima not just regular not used to fighting people.
Your right I was thinking about a bokken and not a shinia my bad.
Last edited by antimatterenergy on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:52 am

Yeah but if I'm combining the world in a fanfiction I'll have to place the charachters stengths in comparison to each other and that is what I'm trying to do.

And I'm saying that, because they were created by different individuals, you can't accurately compare them. You'll not likely find much evidence of the Senshi's physical performance, even if it's higher level than Ranma's, because Takeuchi didn't feel like rubbing our faces in it.
Either come up with something reasonable, ie that the Senshi are physically in a similar range to Ranma and Ryoga, or go with the level of comparability that you obviously want to. Don't bother looking for evidence of where they compare, because it doesn't exist.
Also world destroying threats don't mean that much to me since you can destroy the world with a big enough rock but that doesn't mean the rock has any other abilities or that that the world destroying threat needs two hundred years to gather the power needed to destroy the world.

It doesn't matter how long they take to gather the power, because they are on the brink of doing it whenever the Senshi fight them.
Also: S season went from two viral lifeforms up to fricken Great Old Ones within something like five/ten years, including a ridiculously slow development time for the daimons.
For some threats speeds don't matter so the senshi can be massively slower and physically weaker while still being able to deal with the threat.

Right... and the thing is, they're meant to take on all threats. Including the ones where speed matters.
Akane is a hobbyist compared to Ranma, Ryoga, and the other high end fighters but she is considered to practice a hell of a lot more then most people in her world. She runs before school, practices by herself, tries and hit Ranma for several hours, lifts weights in her room, and is on sports teams at school. So she is way more fit then any hobbyist.

That's really not much more than high-end sporty-girl stuff.
With the Hentai horde Akane would still need some pretty good skill and speed becuase of the number of fighters attacking and that they were average people probably above average since they were athletes and able to take the beating Akane gave them and come back for more the next day.

They've been doing it for a long time - they're used to the pain.
And actually, in mass-fighting, Akane's gorilla-strength is more explicitly valuable than speed. It lets you smack the enemy away and get some distance, and you only need to be faster than any one of them. Speed can get jammed up in a crowd.
In other words, she doesn't need much speed to fight the horde.
Also those were the pheonix military who were supposedly trained by Kima not just regular not used to fighting people.

Trained by Kiima? Never heard of that. Not sure what you're trying to say there, I'm afraid.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby crystlshake » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:47 am

WarGiver wrote:about the Desguise field...
Manga: Nope not at all
Anime: Plausiable deniability, i.e. There is no way that ditz Usagi is Sailor Moon.
It is shown in a few episodes/ovas/movies (forget which) that they can be identified while transformed, at least at close range. At a distance Plausiable deniability seems to takes over. (I remember specifically that Mercury got IDed)
(I think Luna once said to Usagi that she wouldn't get identified)
(Actually I suspect that Luna and/or Artemis are mind whipping anyone who finds out.)

Your probably onto something there.
Luna looked imperiously at the store attendant starring at her departing charge with wide eyes. She gave a soft swish of her tail to draw his attention to her. " These are not the Senshi your looking for."
As far as physical feats go Usagi has some crazy speed with her frantic run to school. Of course whether it is her control or a reduced reaction time that causes her to run into stuff is up to the individual to decide.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:29 am

Pale wolf you've mentioned them going against world enders several times. The thing is they usual are fighting people who aren't world enders the generals/witches/etc... and such do not have the kind of power to end the world. I'd list them as city destroyers at most. They have problems fighting them (many of them being killed by other villains rather than the senshi and they generally manage to pull out the heart crystal, mirror, etc... out of the senshi). Any time they go against a real world ender they barely survive. Hell some times they don't survive. Only two senshi stand a chance against the world enders Saturn and Moon in those battles speed, strength, and durability meant next to nothing. All that mattered was raw power.
In several of the situations they could have avoided going against the world enders. For instance if they killed beryl before she merged with Metellia or if they killed mistress nine instead of letting her open the way to pharaoh 90 or if they new about it earlier.
From what I've seen of the Senshi based by my most current research into the senshi and lack of anyone showing me counter evidence (anime, manga's another thing entirely) are in a physical range of Akane but more durable against energy attacks (falls and physical attacks seem to hurt them about the same as Akane maybe a little better I'd guess) and have less stamina. The most powerful generals (for lack of a better term) being at Herb and Saffron's level i.e. city destroyer in terms of power but below Ranma in terms of physical abilities. The senshi seem to not need the kind of physical conditioning the Ranma cast has because of all the raw power they have and numbers (usually - not always - they out number the person/thing they're fighting in battle i.e. 5 senshi verse 1 youma/whatever).

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon