Media Format Recommendation Please

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Media Format Recommendation Please

Postby LurkingGrue » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

So, Sailor Moon is a fond part of my early childhood memories. Well, up until the point where I "learned" about gender roles at age ~6 and stopped watching it.

While very near and dear to my heart... I don't actually know much of anything about it. That's because I thought I would just leave it in the magical place it had in my heart from vague memories.

I've decided to change all that though and finally sit down and see what it really was all about.

This leaves me at a bit of a conundrum, since there are different versions of the anime/manga for me to go for.

My question to you folks out there is which one I should go out and om nom.

Manga official translation? Fan translation? Subbed anime? Dubbed anime?

Aside from your own personal opinions, is there any general consensus as to which is the best?

Generally speaking, I prefer (dubbed anime) > (subbed anime) > (manga), but it's a very slight preference. If one media format has better art/words then I'd rather go for it over the others.
LurkingGrue
Initiate

Re: Media Format Recommendation Please

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 am

As far as I know, there is no official english dub DVD release of Sailor Moon. There are the DiC and cloverway english dubs, whose quality is... suspect. Neptune and Uranus are cousins, for example. Their school is "Crossroads" in an unnamed US town. Episodes missing. Censorship. Personally, I wouldn't touch these versions with a 10 foot pole. If you see an english DVD of Sailor Moon being sold, it will be this version.

There are the official Japanese DVDs subbed in english release by ADV. However, as far as I know, they only were able to release the first season, and not the rest.

There are the full series in LaserDisc format, japanese, no subs. Of course, its laserdisc format and only in japanese. If you can speak japanese and have an LD player, go this route.

You are, unfortunately, pretty much left with the option of fan-translated english subs if you want seasons 2 and onward (For season 1, go with the ADV version). Its THE ONLY route without learning to speak japanese or settling for the DiC/Cloverway versions.

The official manga by Tokyopop is 1) out of print 2) follows a mix of the DiC dub and Japanese versions 3) has new art and removed some art 4) flipped left to right. Passable, I guess. Just substitute the names mentally and they're fine. I haven't seen this version to be honest.

There are scanlations you can download from the net. They aren't bad, either. The quality of the scan is poor compared to most scanlations today.
Last edited by mondu_the_fat on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:11 am

mondu_the_fat wrote:There are the official Japanese DVDs subbed in english release by ADV. However, as far as I know, they only were able to release the first season, and not the rest.

ADV were able to release both the first season and R on DVD. Geneon/Pioneer was able to release S, SuperS and the movie as well. There was an 'uncut' dub but it was still rife with name changes and the infamous cousin alterations but as a plus they dubbed then cut rather than cut then dub like DiC so there was also a japanese audio track on these as well with subtitles. I have S, but not the movies or SuperS.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:52 am

Before I say anything else I will point out that all versions of Sailor Moon are presently out of print in North America and, I believe (though not 100%), no company presently holds any of the licenses. On top of that the fifth series Sailor Moon Stars was never licensed.

That said I'd avoid the dubbed anime (cut or uncut) and go with the subtitled as the Japanese voice acting, and music, is better and the changes made for the dubbed release (ie. attack names, character names, Haruka and Michiru's relationship) annoy me.

Now as to whether the anime or manga is better, that all depends on you. I personally prefer the anime artwork (though I prefer the manga senchi uniforms) but prefer the manga for story. The manga tends to focus more on Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen with the rest of the senshi having a (relatively) smaller role while the anime gives the senshi a larger role while minimizing Tuxedo Kamen's. However, if you like some of the major villians (Ie, Kunzite or Jadeite) then you might prefer the anime as they don't killed off as quickly as they do in the manga but at least the outers appear in the SuperS manga (they don't reappear until the SuperS movie and Stars TV anime)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 am

Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Wyrd » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 pm

The manga version at mangafox.com can be read for free. It may not be the best translation, but it is a pretty good one, and the version I would put at the top mostly for the fact that there is real character growth, Tuxedo Kamen is actually useful and doesn't give me creepy vibes like he sometimes does in the anime, and because it has a more coherent plot.

The subbed version of the anime is out there, even if they are fansubs. You can watch most of them on youtube. The subs are vastly better than the dubs. I am not one to believe that the subtitled version is always better, but the horrible job done dubbing SM is part of the reason that prejudice against dubs exists. There are a few episodes where particular elements were translated well, such as the song "Rainy Day Ken," but on the whole it is just horrible, especially if you want a version targetted at someone over 6.

Just a warning: brace yourself before watching/reading SuperS, or skip that arc entirely. Someone was on a lot of drugs when they came up with that. On the other hand, the last season, Stars, is one of the best of the entire show, especially in the manga.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby LurkingGrue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Alright, thanks for your input everyone, I think I'm going to go with the manga, with subbed anime as backup if I run into trouble.
LurkingGrue
Initiate

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Aw. Before I could give my input? ;p Well, I would have recommended the manga and subbed anime, anyway.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Hmmm... my own anime series collection I used for research (needed to see it to understand what was going on in all the Ranma crossovers with SM I was reading back then) is from a variety of sources... none are directly the DIC Version except season 1-2, which was not packaged by DIC but ADV.

Season 1 and 2: Retail ADV DVD Dubbed
Season 3 and 4: Retail Pioneer Animation DVD Bilingual Subtitled
Season 5: Canadian DVD Fansubbed
3 movies: Retail Pioneer Animation DVD Bilingual Subtitled
3 specials: Aquired from various internet sources, all 3 Subtitled

so... 200 episodes, 3 specials, and 3 movies.

I got real lucky when I was starting my research back in late 2002 and early 2003, it was just as Geneon bought Pioneer, and everyone was trying to get the Pioneer stuff off the shelfs, I bought seasons 3-4 and the movie box set at a cut rate discount.

When it came to the 5th season, had to hunt around, as near as could tell, it was never made available in the U.S., so went to a Canadian fansubber at the time and ordered it.

As for watching, since my 1st and 2nd season is dubbed only (only after getting it did ADV announce the new subtitled DVD's), watched it that way. Season 3-4 and movies I watched both ways., and the 5th season and specials watched only Subbed.

Watching the Pioneer release stuff is a eye opener, as the names of the attacks and some of the interactions were a bit jarring compared to the ADV dubbed.

I attempted at one point to watch live... my eyes bled, and want no part of that. So far I've found only a couple fan fiction stories based on it.

I still refer to the notes I took back then sometimes... it really helps on a series that big with so many characters.

I suggest, if can find it, the Pioneer subtitled version.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

There was a site I used when I decided to watch the entire series beginning to end that had most of the episodes subbed( and dubbed where available), but unfortunately it has been over a year since I even visited that site and lost all of my bookmarks to a hardware crash between then and now. While I prefer to support the creators where possible, I have no difficulty watching something that isn't even available for purchase for free. Still, I would say start with the manga and then watch the subs as you have time.

On the live action series, I know of one good fanfic based off of it, Spoiled Brats. I was really disappointed when it didn't update this year(it had been updating every November).
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 am

mondu_the_fat wrote:As far as I know, there is no official english dub DVD release of Sailor Moon. There are the DiC and cloverway english dubs, whose quality is... suspect. Neptune and Uranus are cousins, for example. Their school is "Crossroads" in an unnamed US town. Episodes missing. Censorship. Personally, I wouldn't touch these versions with a 10 foot pole. If you see an english DVD of Sailor Moon being sold, it will be this version.

There are the official Japanese DVDs subbed in english release by ADV. However, as far as I know, they only were able to release the first season, and not the rest.

ADV released the full seasons 1, and 2 of Sailor Moon uncut with English subtitles.

Geneon released seasons 3, and 4 uncensored as I recall, and they contain English subtitles, the English dubing, or the original Japanese. Season 4 takes a turn for the cartoon, but it explains why and how Crystal Tokyo, the Great Freeze, and the events of R.
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Chibi-Usa wished to be born while possessing the Gold crystal.

Season 5 has never been released in area 1.
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Season 5 starts before season 4 ends even though this is impossible.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 pm

dont forget the live action tv show..have it in the dvd case and not really watched more then 3 eps...sigh.....and thier where 3 stage plays that are flaoting around on tapes in japanese......(looks at the tapes)......yep...not idea how they stack up agist the ohter but the costums where very cool in them.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon