(Probably A Stupid) Question on the Great Freeze

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: (Probably A Stupid) Question on the Great Freeze

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:28 pm

Metroidvania wrote:One of my reviews pointed this out to me on FF, and it made me think.
I thought for quite a while that fanon was right, and Pluto was behind the whole thing.....but then I realized when I started here, with the info we've got on Pluto, that seems a little out of her league......
Is the Great Freeze merely a cataclysmic event that can't be stopped, even by the Senshi? I.E. a huge frickin' meteor that can't be destroyed or something?
I'm thinking that, fanon to the contrary, Pluto's not the great orchestrator of it all, unless through Usagi's desire for a "perfect" world, as evidenced when the scouts have to go to the future, she kind of took Usagi's desire and ran with it?
I apologize if this seems a bit silly, what with many of the fukufics using it as a plot device, but I don't know if there is a real reason out there, or if it's just a general "Warning, The World Is Going To End" in the manga and anime, and it would be good to know either way.
Thanks,
MV

Hah. Let's do something simple on how it happened.
Ice 9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_9
A giant meteor with Ice-9 in it's core strikes the pacific ocean, thus freezing all the water in the oceans, `atmosphere, and then landbond lakes.
Yep. Sounds good. You'd even wind up with roughly half-mile thick layer of Ice-9 over most of the planet.
And the Senshi can't fight that, as it's a force of nature, not a "plot by the great evil"
Though they do manage to save Tokyo after they figure out just what the ice is.
Oh, and i know Someone allready used the basic idea, but I've forgotten who and what fic.
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Heheh. I remember something along those lines - Stratagemini and I were bouncing around the idea of Black Mage having caused the Great Ice.
Of course, we were also bouncing around the idea of putting Black Mage in a fuku, so...
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby crystlshake » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Sounds almost like someone managaed to summon boost Shiva past 250%...
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:39 am

Pale Wolf wrote:Of course, we were also bouncing around the idea of putting Black Mage in a fuku, so...

EEEwwww. You are sick. Sick!^_^
Seriously though, that'd be one weird fic.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:54 pm

I have the rather demented feeling, that not only would it be a funny fic, but it would contain a lot of black humor, should it be the black mage I'm thinking of.
You guys do mean Black Mage from 8-Bit Theatre, right? The little $%@* with the Nuclear Hadoken as a level 9 spell?
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:37 pm

Yes. That Black Mage. The one that crossdressed as Black Magia.
Honestly, I don't know if I have the funnybone to pull it off, but it is a frightening thought.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Wow. I didn't know he crosdressed. Most recent I knew of was right after he took over the shoe store.
Hmm, well, I hope you find the funnybone to do it. ^.^ I know I wouldn't be able to write it.
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:11 pm

Wow. I didn't know he crosdressed.

Remember Elfland?

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 pm

Pale Wolf wrote:Remember Elfland?

No. But, I do tend to forget things fairly easily.
And another way the great ice may hve occured.
When Mugen Gakuen went blooey, all the magic in the area directe the force straight up, thus, changing the planet's orbit.
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Possible cause of Great Freeze

Postby NeverTooOld » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:05 am

I figure that you can pretty much take your pick of the possible causes, the only issue is why Usagi doen't stop it.
1. Normal ice age, accelerated by human action, i.e. global warming causes a rebound effect when the ice caps begin to melt, increasing the amount of solar radiation reflected back into space.
2. Giant meteor impact AKA 'Dinosaur Killer',
3. Magical attack, spell or ritual going really bad.
Unfortunately, Usagi should be able to counter any of these using the Crystal. You need a really well thought out reason why she can't prevent it.
The only cause that I can think of that she would not be able to counter act is if the sun's output became variable and dropped just slightly, enough to trigger a rapid iced age.
Even that she might be able to mitigate, at least on a local basis.
NeverTooOld
Initiate

Re: Possible cause of Great Freeze

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:13 am

NeverTooOld wrote:I figure that you can pretty much take your pick of the possible causes, the only issue is why Usagi doen't stop it.
The only cause that I can think of that she would not be able to counter act is if the sun's output became variable and dropped just slightly, enough to trigger a rapid iced age.

The sun did increase it's output in 1976, by 10%, and we didn't get fried. Besides, the effect of the sun is based on energy per square meter (or square foot) hitting the ground on Earth, a large lens would take care of the problem, and if it takes Ami longer than a week to figure that out, she's not as smart as she thinks she is.
I'm afraid you're right back to Moon let it happen.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:07 am

I think you are overestimating Usagi's power by orders of magnitude. Stopping global warming or the sun increasing its activity? Preventing an asteroid impact? Creating a giant lens to warm the planet and prevent an ice age?
For heaven's sake, she's a freakin' schoolgirl with a magic rock that barely allows her to fight off the bad guys who show up. Before the Great Ice, she has no resources to work with that can't be hidden in the folds of those miniscule skirts she wears. Even if Ami is bright enough to figure out how to possibly stop or slow down the oncoming disaster, the Senshi have no way to build anything larger than a tree house. Or do you think their allowances are equal to the task of buying the parts for an orbital booster?
NeverTooOld wrote:Unfortunately, Usagi should be able to counter any of these using the Crystal. You need a really well thought out reason why she can't prevent it.

Quite the opposite. Since you are making an assertion that runs counter to the events shown in the series, you need to show in canon material where she ever had the power to counter the Great Ice. The burden of proof is on you.
I've read or watched an awful lot of the series, and the most impressive thing I know that she pulled off with the crystal was reincarnating her friends after the fight with Beryl. Since they were linked to the Moon Kingdom, that was hard, but not impossible. It's never even hinted that she could ever reincarnate anyone else.
Even in the later shows, she didn't have to do anything with it that was much beyond blowing away the latest avatar of Chaos that was fighting her. And that usually taxed her to her limits and sometimes needed a power-up.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Pale Wolf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:42 am

I think you are overestimating Usagi's power by orders of magnitude. Stopping global warming or the sun increasing its activity? Preventing an asteroid impact? Creating a giant lens to warm the planet and prevent an ice age?

Well manga-wise she is strong enough to, you know, blow the fuck out of ALL her Senshi in one attack, including 'goodbye Planet' Saturn. She's a walking demi-goddess. There are no discernible limits to her power.
Even in the later shows, she didn't have to do anything with it that was much beyond blowing away the latest avatar of Chaos that was fighting her. And that usually taxed her to her limits and sometimes needed a power-up.

Keep in mind that this latest avatar of Chaos tended to get into the 'bye bye planet' power level. If she can fry that, she could certainly do something minor like blow the hell out of an asteroid. And her powers don't specialize in destruction.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Pale Wolf wrote:Keep in mind that this latest avatar of Chaos tended to get into the 'bye bye planet' power level. If she can fry that, she could certainly do something minor like blow the hell out of an asteroid. And her powers don't specialize in destruction.

Aye. They Supposedly specilize in purging of Chaos, and Purifying of Evil-energies.
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm

NeverTooOld wrote: I figure that you can pretty much take your pick of the possible causes, the only issue is why Usagi doen't stop it.
Anime Moon has limits. She can't do things like like she can in the manga. The great Freeze is mostly an anime thing, and anime Princess Serenity(Usagi's most powerful form I believe) does not have that kind of power.
NeverTooOld wrote: 1. Normal ice age, accelerated by human action, i.e. global warming causes a rebound effect when the ice caps begin to melt, increasing the amount of solar radiation reflected back into space.
She is never shown to be able to do such things as far as I can tell.
NeverTooOld wrote: 2. Giant meteor impact AKA 'Dinosaur Killer',
See the R movie.
NeverTooOld wrote: 3. Magical attack, spell or ritual going really bad.

See any(Or just about any) season of Sailor Moon. The bad guys always get the spell or ritual of, and she does not seem to be able to stop them. You are also implying that Usagi wants to stop the great freeze, and It seems Chibi-Usa may have made a wish on the golden(and maybe silver at the same time) crystal that she would be born during SuperS.
NeverTooOld wrote: Unfortunately, Usagi should be able to counter any of these using the Crystal. You need a really well thought out reason why she can't prevent it.
Anime Moon may not have even reset time at the end of the Beryl arc. People forget anime Pluto has the powers, resources and will to alter history to her liking in the anime. Remeber Pluto in the anime is a time traveler from Crystal Tokyo. Anime Moon is not really that powerful. It is the Silver crystal that is draining the other senshi of energy to boost Moon's power. we see it in seasons 1, 2(R), 3(S), and maybe even later seasons.
Remember Moon could not defeat Beryl, Wise man/Death Phantom, Pharaoh 90(Moon couldn't even slow it down with an attack ment to take down daemons, and P90 was a big planet eating deamon), Neherenia(during SuperS), and Neherenia (after being powered up in Stars). Galaxia/Chaos seems like it was weaker then the other to me, but then again she did have Chibi-Chibi/Galaxia helping her.
NeverTooOld wrote:The only cause that I can think of that she would not be able to counter act is if the sun's output became variable and dropped just slightly, enough to trigger a rapid iced age.
The real question is why didn't Saturn stop the Great Freeze in the anime.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon