An academic exercise

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

An academic exercise

Postby Wyrd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 am

I don't plan on writing this up as a story, or I would have put this over in the ideas section. Instead I'm just curious what you guys think about this: If the cast from Sailor Moon had been born in England instead and had attended Hogwarts, which houses would they be in. The few cases I've run across where someone even tried this, they all wound up in Gryffindor. While they all have courage, kind of necessary with them being heroes, this just seems a cop out to me. That, and I'm bored and was hoping for a lively discussion.

Usagi: Gryffindor for her ability to rise to the occasion when needed, or Hufflepuff for her devotion to her friends and her sense of loyalty. I would consider Hufflepuff to be the more likely to me, though the biggest flaw in that idea is that she is not a hard worker, which is their other prime trait. She could wind up in Gryffindor and be a lot like Neville, I suppose.

Ami: Ravenclaw. Definitely Ravenclaw. While the argument could be made that she would wind up like Hermione in Gryffindor, I just don't see her as having the right personality traits prior to Usagi's influence, and they would all be sorted before they reached Senshi age.

Makoto: The most Gryffindor of the bunch. She has some Hufflepuff traits, but not enough to justify putting her there.

Minako: I'd have to go with Gryffindor again here.

Rei: I would be inclined to put her in Ravenclaw, though once again an argument could be made for Gryffindor. Still, it gets dull if they are all in the same house.

Haruka: Slytherin. She is way too willing to have 'acceptable losses' and do whatever she feels is necessary.

Michiru: Slytherin or Ravenclaw.

Hotary: So little is said about her personality that she is hard to place, but I would say Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Re: An academic exercise

Postby BF110C4 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 am

Hotaru would be a Gryffindor no doubt, someone that cures strangers even after having so many bad experiences is braver than hell. And I would consider Haruka one too because she is a car racer and she does not have the memories of a Sailor Senshi fighting to protect the world from destruction in the hands of a weapon of mass destruction.
BF110C4
Senshi Candidate

Postby Quickshot0 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am

Considering they are heroic figures, it probably shouldn't be surprising a fair amount end up in Gryffindor, they all after all have a certain amount of bravery.

Still, I suspect Michiru would probably be a Ravenclaw if we go with over all talent.

Haruka could be Ravenclaw or Slytherin I guess, she did get in to that high profile school after all so she isn't stupid, and I'm a bit unsure how cunning she is exactly so how Slytherin she is exactly is something one can wonder about.

Setsuna would be maybe Ravenclaw as well? It kind of depends on which variant of her you take though, Hufflepuff might be an option as well.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:42 am

Haruka and Michiru also seem to come from prominent, wealthy families, increasing the odds of them being sorted into Slytherin. Remember that it is not an evil house, it is just the house that is most likely to get the self-centered and ambitious people who tend to go down the dark side. Both of them are ambitious enough within their specialties(racing and playing the violin) and have the right background to be accepted. Usagi's ability to bring together such disparate people is part of what makes her an interesting character.

I think Hotaru is more about compassion than bravery, which would put her in Hufflepuff in my opinion. She wouldn't have had anywhere near as many bad experiences if she was raised in a magical family, but she would still have been seen as a freak if muggle born until going to Hogwarts.

edit:

And yes, if you want to consider which house Setsuna would be in, I would go with either the 'devoted hard worker' interpretation and put her in Hufflepuff or the 'manipulative control freak' interpretation and put her in Slytherin.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm

I would actually say that Minako has potential as a good-natured Slytherin. When she sees something she wants (usually a boy), she goes for it without a second thought.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Haruka would not make a good (stet) Slytherin. She is far too straightforward. She's not smart enough to be a Ravenclaw. She doesn't seem enough of a team player to be Hufflepuff. It's Griffindor or nothing.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Quickshot0 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I never understood why Hotaru was considered a freak, scientists would be absolutely crazy to have a person like that to study. And not to mistreat her, that would be really stupid, obviously such a person would need the best care.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Quickshot0 wrote:I never understood why Hotaru was considered a freak, scientists would be absolutely crazy to have a person like that to study. And not to mistreat her, that would be really stupid, obviously such a person would need the best care.

There is much in what you say, but how many scientists are there in middle school? They don't even have scientists for teachers!
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby BF110C4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:43 pm

And not all scientist are nice people, sociopaths like Dr. Mengele would love to do pathology tests to see if the ability is is her blood, her flesh or her brain or if using certain drugs would decrease or increase the ability. Other factors such as if the healing powers are passed from mothers to either a son or a daughter would be made and so on...
BF110C4
Senshi Candidate

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon