Possible cause of the Great Freeze?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: Possible cause of the Great Freeze?

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 am

Ecological Dissasters for dummies.

1 - Comet / Asteroid / Large Meteor Impact.
Ecological result: Massive initial kill off of everything near impact followed by 'nuclear winter' as global temps cool rapidly thanks to dust thrown into the air. Mass extinctions, deaths etc... A 'great freeze' begins and Usagi saves the survivors from the plight by pulling a large scale cryo stunt. Temperatures remain cold for centuries while dust settles. Usagi keeps people in a deep freeze until global temps normalize simply because it would be better on them than trying to irk out one thousand years of ice age.

2 - Supervolcano Eruption (Yellowstone Super Caldera or similar goes up.)
Ecological result: See 'Comet Impact'

3 - Usagi screws up. BIG TIME.
Ecological Result: She's blond, she has the most powerful silver plot crystal of them all on her, and she mumbles in her sleep. Do the math.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:04 am

Eh? But it's made clear that the great freeze/cold sleep was responsible for the world's dormant state, not Usagi. And Usagi waited a long time to reverse the condition rather than said condition slowly going away on its own, until the world was livable/bearable again.

Unless that's a suggestion for events in an alternate universe.

As for 3, while it's funny, the ginzuishou doesn't work that way. It requires heart, not idle thoughts. Perhaps if she dreamed of the world covered in ice cream... :P (Although it seems like she doesn't usually sleep with it, anyway.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:15 am

I had considered when they got stronger and if I remember correctly, then they got new attacks against the Black Moon family. I think atleast Sailor Moon got an upgrade in the Death Busters as well, then again she gets upgrades in pretty much every arc, some times twice. So I was just thinking if the Inners fell a bit short, then the Outers would be running the war against the Death Busters on their own mostly. Leading to the situation where Sailor Moon and the inners don't have sufficient experience and power to successfully deal with the Snow Princess. I suppose you could still easily imagine a scenario where they could still manage to beat this enemy, or get power ups in a different order. But the idea still seems to have some possibilities to me, like if for instance the Outers thanks to weaker Inners hadn't found the Grail yet and they are forced to flee the planet in defeat.

In any case, this might then be a plausible enough idea for a story then I think. Though one would have to set it up carefully I suspect, the ready made villain and a reason why Usagi didn't fix it right away have a certain lure to me atleast though.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 am

Whatever floats your boat. I'm not against anyone's creativity, and I'd be willing to help flesh out the idea if it were taken to... whichever forum it was. (I'm not sure if it's Ideas or Fic Research.) Still, as far as canon goes, where the inner's power is concerned, it wouldn't change. Luna and Artemis give them their next power-up shortly after the Doom Tree story ends, and not because of the new enemy (since they had only encountered one or two of the new enemies by then, and had successfully dealt with them).

There would be other things to consider, though. For one, with Chibi-Usa's absence events could go in an unfortunate direction with Pharoah 90. Or it could even work out for the better, if Mistress 9 never gets the ginzuishou of either time (since Chibi-Usa's interaction with Hotaru was pivotal for the direction that the story took). Author's prerogative and all that.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57 am

That's a good point, with out the time traveling, the entire Death Busters Arc goes in to the blender, hmmm.

And yeah, I've poked around a bit... I think ideas might be the relevant board for floating an entire fic idea, though if any one else knows better, best correct me now.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Eh? But it's made clear that the great freeze/cold sleep was responsible for the world's dormant state, not Usagi. And Usagi waited a long time to reverse the condition rather than said condition slowly going away on its own, until the world was livable/bearable again.

Clearly Neo-Queenist Propoganda meant to obscure the painful truth. Remember who's mouth that explanation came out of. Or next they'll be claiming Second Impact was caused by a micrometeor impacting at a considerable fraction of the speed of light.

There are no ecological dissasters capable of flash-freezing the entire planet. It was clearly supernatural in nature.
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Pusakuronu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:10 pm

If you are going down that route, you might as well question whether there was any freezing at all.
Pusakuronu
Senshi Candidate

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh, there's no doubt something happened. The star charts clearly indicate one thousand years of stellar drift. I'm not a conspiracy nut. If the queen had to put our asses on ice for a few centuries, that's what she had to do. But this 'ecological disaster' nonsense being spouted in an attempt to protect her perfect and pure image needs to go.
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:Clearly Neo-Queenist Propoganda meant to obscure the painful truth. Remember who's mouth that explanation came out of. Or next they'll be claiming Second Impact was caused by a micrometeor impacting at a considerable fraction of the speed of light.

But that's still based on pure speculation. Which is fine for fanfiction, but not canon. That's how it works with fictional stories; it's not like the historical non-fiction of the real world, where such a possibility could exist.

There are no ecological dissasters capable of flash-freezing the entire planet. It was clearly supernatural in nature.

Only the English dub gives that specific reason for it, but I'd just chalk the explanation up to being the early nineties and the people responsible for the anime's plot not knowing any better (or not caring).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 am

Regardless of how much more powerful and/or more experienced the Senshi are as a result of season R, f you're looking for a source of timeline divergence, there's a much more straightforward one. Isn't Chibi-Usa herself there for the events of the movie? Any time anyone goes back they have the potential to cause cascading alterations.

Maybe it was just Chibi's absence in the original timeline that caused the Kaguya showdown to go a different direction, Kaguya's great freeze happened, and the earth became an ice cube until Usagi managed to eventually recover and reverse it.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:But that's still based on pure speculation. Which is fine for fanfiction, but not canon. That's how it works with fictional stories; it's not like the historical non-fiction of the real world, where such a possibility could exist.

*Facepalm*

Clearly you completely fail to recognize when someone's being silly. Especially with a post starting with something as absurd and conspiracy-nutty as: "Clearly Neo-Queenist Propoganda-"
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:23 am

claymade wrote:Maybe it was just Chibi's absence in the original timeline that caused the Kaguya showdown to go a different direction, Kaguya's great freeze happened, and the earth became an ice cube until Usagi managed to eventually recover and reverse it.

It's a possibility. Though her role isn't significant in that story... I don't even think she was there. Well, if it's the anime movie, I'm not sure. It's been ages since I've watched it. Still, without Chibi-Usa around when the outer senshi make an appearance, perhaps things don't proceed to the point where the grail/chalice is formed, but Saturn still takes care of Pharaoh 90. And since Usagi uses/needs the grail/chalice to defeat Princess Kaguya in the original timeline...

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:*Facepalm*

Clearly you completely fail to recognize when someone's being silly. Especially with a post starting with something as absurd and conspiracy-nutty as: "Clearly Neo-Queenist Propoganda-"

No, I recognized it. But I wanted to keep things on track with something that actually contributes to the discussion, since that's what I'm focusing on. If I had taken it seriously, what I would have addressed was the reasoning behind the "clearly Neo-Queenist propaganda" part rather than the validity of the idea itself. Which I didn't really have to do, but I'm bored. And when I'm bored, I find excuses to yap. Er, type.

Besides, I had already shown that I had seen the humor in one of your previous posts. I try not to repeat it too often in serious forums. Because I'm paranoid. Speaking of which... *Shuts up*
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:35 pm

You know, Crescent, it's not really paranoia when people are trully out to get you... >_>
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 pm

TerraEpon wrote:In the fanfic called Secrets (I forget the author, Ken something I think), cyrogenic freezing is exactly what they do -- and they are only able to save something like a 30 mile radius out from the palace (which is the result of a 'trap' or something that actually CAUSES the freeze) where they cast the spell to do it.

Ken Wolfe wrote Secrets. While it stands on its own, it does make references to the previous four stories. Particularly Frozen Time.

Without giving too much detail, Ami comes up with an idea for cryogenics in Frozen Time, and Usagi actually triggers the freeze in Secrets.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Konsaki wrote:You know, Crescent, it's not really paranoia when people are trully out to get you... >_>

Are you afraid of the dark?

You should be.

*Man, we need a ::DrEvil:: emoticon.
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon