Questions about Senshi fanon

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Questions about Senshi fanon

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:59 pm

I'll say it up front that I don't really know much about the Sailor Moon series. In fact, the only real exposure I've had to the original mediums are a few glimpses of the dubbed show when it was shown as a morning cartoon down here in the early 90s and one volume of the manga. Most of my exposure to it, ironically, is in the form of fukufics. I just recently read the "Master of Orion" serial on the anime addventure (fundamentally a fukufic, but with Ranma hired -alongside Sousuke Sagara and Negi Springfield- as a 'trainer' for the Senshi by Orion, a Mau OC who was a general before the disaster and who disapproves of the bungling ways of Luna and the Senshi, instead of being a magical girl), and while I could recognize the various cliches of Ranma 1/2, and even the Full Metal Panic and Negima ones, I was unsettled to realise that I didn't really know how cliche the Senshi were depicted.

So, anyway, that brings me here: could people tell me notable cliches and fanon "lore" that shows up when the Sailor Senshi get involved in a fanfiction, either pure Sailor Moon or a fukufic (or whatever the general term is for Ranma/Sailor Moon crossover- he needn't actually be a magical girl)? If it helps, think of this being like the “list of clichés” topic I started in the Ranma board.

I recall some specific examples from Master of Orion that I'll bring up here.

*Do Moon and Mars really bicker a lot? In MoO, Mars seems to look down on Moon for her bungling, ditziness, etc, and try and do her best to keep her grounded, which Moon responds to by complaining at her harshness.

*Does Moon really eat that much? MoO depicts her doing her best to steal food from others, including deceiving Sousuke so she can eat his lunch, then trying the same on Ranma- only to beg for him to teach her in the (fanon) "Saotome Art of Competitive Eating".

*Is Moon really prone to klutziness out of Senshi form? MoO has a scene where Orion basically claims to be surprised she hasn’t killed herself to tripping over her own hair.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Questions about Senshi fanon

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:39 am

It varies depending on which source your going from, manga, anime (original Japanese or dubbed) or live action.

In the anime the answer to all three is a qualified yes.

1) Usagi and Rei do tend to bicker a bit, mostly because Usagi has a relatively short attention span and is more likely to goof off than focus on the issues at hand.

2) It varies but she's nowhere near Ranma levels. It's best summed up as Usagi having a sweet tooth and tending to comfort eating for mild emotional distress. Whenever she's annoyed or a little upset she tends to make midnight fridge runs

3) Yes she is clumsy but nowhere near that bad. When not acting as Sailor Moon Usagi is more likely to be the one making a prat fall compared to the others but it's not that bad. Much like item 1) its when she's distracted and not paying attention that something is likely to happen.

There is an important caveat to this though and that is all these behaviours decrease as time goes on (apart from one incident involving Eternal Sailor Moon, a narrow corridor and breakable items). Basically if it's set in the first couple of seasons or even S such characterisation isn't too bad but by the later seasons not so much.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:02 am

There is an important caveat to this though and that is all these behaviours decrease as time goes on (apart from one incident involving Eternal Sailor Moon, a narrow corridor and breakable items). Basically if it's set in the first couple of seasons or even S such characterisation isn't too bad but by the later seasons not so much.

I had a really long response planned, then decided not to bother. Some of *these* bad behaviors decrease, but others take their place or grow to compensate. One of the things with anime canon continuity that annoyed me to no end was Usagi's characterization, especially as time went on and into the later seasons.

If you want more of my opinion on anime canon continuity Usagi and are a member of TFF, there are a couple threads there in the Sailor Moon section that have me go into long detail on my opinions of her characterization and actions.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:48 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:So, anyway, that brings me here: could people tell me notable cliches and fanon "lore" that shows up when the Sailor Senshi get involved in a fanfiction, either pure Sailor Moon or a fukufic (or whatever the general term is for Ranma/Sailor Moon crossover- he needn't actually be a magical girl)? If it helps, think of this being like the “list of clichés” topic I started in the Ranma board.

Since I'm tired and about to hit the hay, I'll mention the first thing that comes to mind. Which is purely based in fanon.

Pluto being a controller of destiny: i.e. weaving the fate of numerous people in and out of the Sailor Moon universe (with the time gate, which is supposed to be a dimensional doorway, not the strings of fate). Always knowing everything (which usually sets her up for a typical scene where someone catches her by surprise, or knows something that she doesn't) and being able to sneak up on anyone, catching them by surprise (happens to Ranma a lot, in particular). And the reason why the last one happens so much is because a lot of authors have her going to and from the time gate, as if she were a manager, and is usually unavoidable unless she feels like "dropping in" on whoever's looking for her.

In reality, while Pluto does know a lot, it's clear that she has done nothing but guard the time gate up until the point when she died and was later reincarnated, whereupon she eventually began to fight alongside the other senshi (along with Neptune, Uranus and (later) Saturn). I don't know about the anime but, in the manga, she gets a job as a nurse at the school where most of the senshi attend. Like the rest of the senshi, she is, in the end, devoted to Usagi, and wouldn't do anything with the time gate unless instructed to do so by her. And there's no evidence that she did, or ever would.

Well, I suppose I could add to something that was mentioned before. As was mentioned previously, there are a lot of differences between the anime and the manga. In Rei's case, in the manga, you're not going to find her verbally abusing Usagi all of the time; in fact, it probably only happens a few times. She's a lot more refined and ladylike in the manga, which is why Luna (or Ami; I forget which) first assumed that she might be the princess. She doesn't even show much of a temper, like she does in the anime.

In the end, when it comes to the Sailor Moon series, you can get quite a mess from the differences between the anime and the manga. A lot of kneejerk and common interactions between characters in Sailor Moon fanfiction can often be attributed to the anime. You can only hope that their behavior isn't exaggerated; it usually depends on which senshi the author favors, and/or what the story is about.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:26 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:
Pluto being a controller of destiny: i.e. weaving the fate of numerous people in and out of the Sailor Moon universe (with the time gate, which is supposed to be a dimensional doorway, not the strings of fate). Always knowing everything (which usually sets her up for a typical scene where someone catches her by surprise, or knows something that she doesn't) and being able to sneak up on anyone, catching them by surprise (happens to Ranma a lot, in particular). And the reason why the last one happens so much is because a lot of authors have her going to and from the time gate, as if she were a manager, and is usually unavoidable unless she feels like "dropping in" on whoever's looking for her.

In reality, while Pluto does know a lot, it's clear that she has done nothing but guard the time gate up until the point when she died and was later reincarnated, whereupon she eventually began to fight alongside the other senshi (along with Neptune, Uranus and (later) Saturn). I don't know about the anime but, in the manga, she gets a job as a nurse at the school where most of the senshi attend. Like the rest of the senshi, she is, in the end, devoted to Usagi, and wouldn't do anything with the time gate unless instructed to do so by her. And there's no evidence that she did, or ever would.

In the anime Pluto doesn't use time stop until the end of season three, and even then we don't know if she died using it.

Anime Pluto is never shown to be reborn in the past.

Anime Pluto out right states she is in the past on a mission in season 3.

Anime Pluto seemingly knows when and where people will be.

Anime Pluto did not know an odd plant she took to study was a heart crystal snatcher until she scanned it with the Pluto desk top, but by then it had attacked, and she was only saved when her staff acted on it's own.

In the Sailor Moon anime it does appear that someone is manipulating events so thing happen in Moon's favor in generally subtle fashion. Fanon tends to take this to an extreme, but it is there.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:*Does Moon really eat that much? MoO depicts her doing her best to steal food from others, including deceiving Sousuke so she can eat his lunch, then trying the same on Ranma- only to beg for him to teach her in the (fanon) "Saotome Art of Competitive Eating".

Anime Usagi didn't try to steal others' food, but she did beg for it. She was almost always hungry, and as mentioned before, had an out of control sweet tooth. She's definitely the type that asks the others "are you going to finish that?"

*Is Moon really prone to klutziness out of Senshi form? MoO has a scene where Orion basically claims to be surprised she hasn’t killed herself to tripping over her own hair.

It was played for laughs in the anime, but wasn't a defining trait in her character.

Some of it is due to unfamiliarity. She tended to be clumsy when fighting, probably because she wasn't very athletic before being rooked into becoming a heroine. She was frightened because she was being tossed into situations where she was expected to face opponents that would happily kill her. Then she had to perform feats of physical prowess she'd never before attempted with no training whatsoever. Is it any wonder that she tended to trip over her own feet? As the series progressed and she gained experience and confidence, she became better at it.

My pet theory is that at the beginning of the series, she was probably going through a growth spurt. That would account for both the extreme appetite and general clumsiness.

After that, while she undoubtedly enjoys food, she probably has a high enough metabolism that she doesn't gain much weight even though she has poor eating habits.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby TerraEpon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm

The common (fanon) explanation is that she runs so much (she's often running late) that she burns a lot of energy that way.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:20 pm

She's definitely the type that asks the others "are you going to finish that?"

When she tried to go on a diet, she got really hungry. Then she saw a little boy with a some sort of bun. She looked at him with her insane eyes, mouth slobbering, and said something like "what a good bun you have".
The little boy ran away screaming "Mama! Kowai yo!" (i'm scared/she's scary/whatever).
Usagi then felt very ashamed of herself.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Let's try this again. First I repeat the earlier caveats that the characters and cliches change quite a bit between the manga, PGSM(the live action series), the true anime, he movies, and that dubbed p.o.s.(It wasn't all bad. Season 4 even had some lovely music. It was just mostly bad.) I'm not as familiar with PGSM, but there are a few details I plan to mention.

Sailor Moon: Tsukino Usagi, Bunny, Buns, Odango, Meatball head, or Serena depending on the series and who is talking to her. She is a bit of a klutz in all of the series. It is worst in the anime, which has her performing pratfalls nearly every episode for most of the series. Taken literally, these accidents could add up to enough to threaten her life, just as Ranma should die at his first malleting. If you treat them as a little exaggerated for comedic effect, then she is not much clumsier than I was; I almost always had something scraped or bruised but never seriously hurt myself. She cries very easily, and usually at full volume. She mostly grows out of that trait in the manga pretty rapidly; in the anime, her friends are still complaining about her ear-splitting crying in Sailor Stars. Her crying is so loud that in the first episode, her odango jewels amplify her wails, turning them into a powerful sonic attack. She spends most of every fight quite agilely dodging almost everything thrown at her(barely) until someone else distracts the youma of the day enough for her to kill it. She is depicted as always hungry, but I don't think she ever actually steals her friends' food(with the exception of an ice cream incident). If they are eating buffet style, she will try to eat everything that is not on someone else's plate, and is very shameless when it comes to begging, pleading, badgering, and blackmailing those around her into giving her more food if she feels she hasn't had enough. She even stoops to trying to weasel her way into some of her daughter's food when she is around. She has a tendency to moon over every cute boy she meets, yet gets extremely jealous if Mamoru(Darien) so much as looks at another girl. She has jealousy fits about the amount of attention he gives their daughter, for Pete's sake. She is very enthusiatic about everything she does, except anything school related. She is the only senshi to still live with both of her parents or have any siblings(she has a younger brother).

Princess Serenity: In PGSM, Serenity is a completely seperate personality which occasionally awakens. She is cold, arrogant, aloof, graceful, and decisive. In short, she behaves like actual royalty. She is also very vengeful. In PGSM, Serenity destroyed the Moon kingdom and the invading Dark kingdom by herself when her precious Endymion is slain.

Sailor Mercury: Mizuno Ami is a geek. She is described as having an IQ of 300. She is focused entirely on her studies in her attempt to become a doctor like her mother. Her parents are divorced. She lives in a very nice apartment with her mother. She is extremely shy and gets very embarrassed when she gets caught doing anything girly, such as reading romance novels or admitting that she is member 15 of the 3 Lights fan club in the Anime. Her reaction to getting a love letter is to break out in hives. She is interested in boys, but has stated that she feels she doesn't have time for them right now. She is constantly trying to get the other scouts to study; without her help, it is very unlikely that Usagi and Minako would have made it into such a good high school. She does not lord her intelligence over everyone else, but she can be very competitive when it comes to any intellectual activity, such as chess or test scores. She takes every practice exam she can get her hands on and consistently places number 1 in the country on these tests. The one time she was beaten, it completely floored her; the person who did so only beat her by using psychic powers to know the test answers. Usagi is probably a better influence on Ami than anyone else, because she is so good at drawing Ami out of her obsessive habits into other activities. Ami starts off pretty two-dimensional and probably grows the most as a person throughout the series by developing aspects of herself she never knew were there. She is very kind and generous. The one physical activity she loves is swimming. She actually outswims Michiru in one episode of the anime. She is the only senshi, other than Moon, to ever take out a youma of the day completely by herself(in the movie Ami's First Love).

Sailor Mars: Hino Rei is a miko(shrine maiden) who attends Thomas Aquinas Catholic school. She and Hotaru are the only scouts who never end up at Juuban High School(even Setsuna gets a job there). She lives with her Grandfather at a rather large and nice Shinot shrine. The inner senshi tend to meet at her place to study because she has more room than any of the others. Her parents are never mentioned in the manga or anime. I believe that Meet Sailor Mars(yes, I'm a geek. If you are reading this, so are you.) says that her mother is dead and her father lives somewhere else in Tokyo; she hasn't seen him in years, though her grandfather occasionally does see him. Her personality changes quite a lot over the various media. As mentioned above, in the manga, she is calm, graceful, composed, almost regal. In the anime, she is boy crazy and constantly fights with Usagi, but they are mostly the fights of really close friends who just know which buttons to push. In PGSM, she is cold, aloof, and highly suspicious of everyone. She often mixes her miko skills with her senshi magic, using sealing scrolls with her fire soul attack(Mars fire ignite in the dubs) and as demonstrated by the symbols in her Burning Mandala(Mars Fire Surround in the dubs). She has mild prophetic abilities, which she focuses through meditation in front of a sacred fire. She has a guest who lives at the shrine, Chad(I don't remember how to spell his name. Yoshiro?), who does work around the shrine in exchange for room and board. He is a horrible musician(you never hear him play, you just hear the others begging him not to) and has a serious crush on Rei, about which Rei is completely oblivious.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon