What do you think about the senshi's mission?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: What do you think about the senshi's mission?

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 am

Um... No. ^^; People with Sailor Crystals are meant to protect celestial objects and, by extension, the solar system. That's why their names correspond to the objects they're supposed to protect. One of the Sailor Starlights says it best:

"All stars grow from a star seed. It is not only stars. Everything with life grows from a star seed. This planet and the people who live here all have a star seed. My planet and the sailor senshi get their power from star seeds. Special star seeds become sailor crystals, and get transported to selected planets. They grow with the planet and become guardians to protect the planet."

That aside, Usagi wasn't born with the most powerful sailor crystal, the ginzuishou. Remember, some kind of life has to be tied to it. Usagi has it taken away more than once and doesn't perish. In the story with princess Kaguya, it's suggested that Usagi's mother probably ousted Kaguya from the solar system as soon as she arrived, using the ginzuishou. So she had it before she was even born. Which is aside from the fact that the ginzuishou has multiple users... It could be a special one since princess Kaguya referred to it as being the ruler of the galaxy. Who knows? It's likely that the author didn't really think things through.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 am

So all the people who got turned into Sailor Monsters when Chibi-Usa's Sailor Crystal was being hunted are suppose to be protecting say, at least, some random asteroid in the Universe?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Never heard of 'em. Is that the exact name applied to them? And is it from the anime? Since I'm unfamiliar with it, I'll need more details to know.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Why did I have to open my mouth. I'm not sure. And the information for that is on a drive currently sitting on my desk outside of my system.

The system didn't want to start up with the drive installed.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Well, it'd be unwise (stupid) for me to say anything for or against it, since I'm not familiar with it, so... I couldn't tell you. Which is to say that I haven't found anything with a search, either. But, as far as I know, the vast majority of baddies don't have sailor crystals. And no enemy would be capable of using sailor crystals to turn people into baddies. There are only two alternatives that I can think of. One, the Amazoness quartet. But, in their case, they were just woken prematurely and controlled by the baddies. Two, Galaxia's bracelets, which granted the form and powers of a sailor senshi. But in neither case were they monsters, or after Chibi-Usa's crystal. The only times that someone was after her crystal, as far as I know, is when the Dark Moon, from the future, were after her, and when the being inside of Hotaru, Mistress 9, realized its power. In either case I don't recall any Sailor Monster. In the latter scenario, the closest that I can think of, to something like that, is the possibility that they were using people's star seeds and they ended up being monsters. But not every star seed is a sailor crystal, so... I honestly don't know what to make of it, either way. Which I said in so fewer words right at the start, but eh... Who knows. Maybe some of that will be helpful, or something. And I like to babble. Babble, babble, babble! :O
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:That aside, Usagi wasn't born with the most powerful sailor crystal, the ginzuishou. Remember, some kind of life has to be tied to it. Usagi has it taken away more than once and doesn't perish. In the story with princess Kaguya, it's suggested that Usagi's mother probably ousted Kaguya from the solar system as soon as she arrived, using the ginzuishou. So she had it before she was even born. Which is aside from the fact that the ginzuishou has multiple users... It could be a special one since princess Kaguya referred to it as being the ruler of the galaxy. Who knows? It's likely that the author didn't really think things through.

I'd go a little from Column A and a little from Column B ^_^. Here's a Wikipedia entry on the Silver Millenium f(If you scroll down you will find a section on the Silver Crystal/ginzuisou) and one on Sailor Senshi (scroll down a bit for Sailor Crystals).

In the manga, Sailor Crystals are introduced in the Dream Arc and fully expanded on in the Stars arc. Pegasus gives the Guardian Senshi their Crystals in the anime, but in the manga, they come from different sources. Sailors Mercury and Jupiter receive theirs from their Power Guardians, Sailor Mars from Phobos and Deimos, and Sailor Venus from Artemis. In both anime and manga, Hotaru gives the other three Outer Senshi their own Crystals. However, it is only in the manga that Tuxedo Mask receives the Golden Crystal of Elysion as his Sailor Crystal.
-the article on Sailor Crystals

Actually, now that I think about it, it would appear that, normally, one Sailor Crystal is 'assigned' to a celestial body by the Galaxy Cauldron where it hopefully evolves until it can take/create a host (which makes sense otherwise we wouldn't have seen kid Mercury in the manga flashback) though not all celestial bodies appear to have one. Since the Ginzuishou is connected to the Serentiy line it's possible that it goes through multiple hosts as part of its evolution into the ultimate Sailor Crystal (Sailor Cosmos). To protect it during this evolution the Galaxy Cauldron gave it multiple protectors, hence the reason there are so damn many Sailor Senshi The Solar System is unique in that it has 13 Sailor Crystals plus the Ginzuishou (the stated reason why there are so many other crystals and Queen Serentiy and Nehelenia came to earth)in the Solar System (the next most we see for a star system is the 3 Starlights, for Kinmoku, with the next after that being 2, the Gemini twins).
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 pm

That's not how it works. Sailor Crystals are still star seeds, just like everything else. They will produce their own, personal form; be it a star, a planet or a person. If a person exists that has a Sailor Crystal, it's because they were born with one all along. After all, Sailor Crystals are made in the cauldron before being sent away; they don't evolve with whomever happens to take them into their possession. Another problem with that is the fact that, if it were like that, then what about that person's star seed, which allowed them to exist in the first place, thus making it possible to receive it?

Some of the information in those wikipedia articles had some bad conjectures. Well, I'm not as familiar with the anime, so I don't know about the ones in that universe; but some of the ones for the manga certainly were. (Though it was nice to see the part about the sailor crystals being "fully expanded on in the Stars arc." That's where I draw most of my information from, since that is when they're the most fleshed-out and reflecting their true role in the universe.)

Not that Takeuchi didn't make a mess of things, in the first place. Especially if the ginzuishou really is the sailor crystal that was formed to guard the moon. I mean, out of everything in the galaxy, why does that particular moon have the "ruler of the galaxy?" (Well, I assume it's because it's our moon in reality, but eh.) Not to mention that it behaves differently from the other sailor crystals. For all that we know, a good explanation for that would be that the ginzuishou's origin is from the galaxy that Queen Serenity originally came from. And because they both hail from a different galaxy, and her offspring thus have ties to that galaxy, they're the only ones who can truly use the ginzuishou.

But that's my own conjecture, so don't mind it. I just don't buy the others I've heard because, at some point, it contradicts the nature of the sailor crystals, or the cauldron itself. I don't buy "just because they're special" or "it's because of the family line." No. All star seeds are born from the cauldron. Sailor Moon ultimately decided that it would be better that happiness be accompanied by sadness, love with hate, hope with despair, and light with dark. There is no bias. It's life. It's living. So there's no reason to treat a certain sailor crystal as more special than all of the rest, and thus have the existence of other sailor crystals revolve around it. That would contradict the very thing that creates life in the galaxy. After all, if chaos weren't wanted, why would the cauldron create it to begin with? To play a game? (Humor time!)

Cauldron: "Oh, right! I'm bored. I think I'll create this dark stuff so the chaps with the light can have something to beat on. It's not because they're two sides to the same coin, or anything. Where would the fun be in that? What rubbish!"

I suppose it can work however someone feels it should. There's not much else to do with the mess that Takeuchi served on the platter. Although I doubt it was helped by being forced/pushed to continue from Sailor V. I guess we'll have this.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am

Don't mind me just making a random comment that is completely unrelated since the forum seemed to not update last post credit after the actual most recent post in this thread.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:03 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:I feel sad about the senshi's fate. Aside from Usagi, who gets to enjoy at least some of her dreams, the others have to abandon theirs to serve her as senshi full-time. Or, at least, there's nothing to suggest that they would get to live out their dreams in the future. And it's questionable if being a senshi is a dream that any of them share, since many of them end up reminding themselves to devote themselves to being a senshi more than once. Personally, I can understand dedicating one's time for that sort of thing, but I don't see why they can't enjoy the other things that are important to them, since Usagi gets to, whether they truly enjoy being senshi all of the time or not.

Just some random thought I had. What are your thoughts about it?

This may sound odd to all of you coming from me, but I think Crystal T. is more likely to be Usagi's personal hell. The other senshi don't need to do senshi things very much after the banishment of the Dark moon Family until the Dark Moon Family returns, and that would give them a lot of time to goof off and have fun. On top of that there is just a huge amount of information we just don't know about Crystal Tokyo.

The King and Queen on the other hand have to be working 24 7, but Usagi would want to be a good mother, but Being a good mother is a 24 7 job, and on top of that Usagi is going to want time just to have fun and goof off. Usagi can't have her cake and eat it to, and that is why I don't think Usagi can be truely happy in Crystal Tokyo.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Drawde » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 am

From one of the threads I read on the subject that posted scripts of what was said about CT, it outright stated that the King and Queen tended to pretend to be sick to get out of work. In other words, they goof off a lot too. Seen that a couple different times.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 am

That could be taken another way. Ruling the Kingdom the way they were, there might have been so much work that they weren't allowed weekends vacations or anything like that unless they could convince someone that they were sick. That would contribute to Small Lady having a more lonely upbringing.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon