Giving Usagi the Bhepin Treatment

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Postby Neko- » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:28 pm

spewing a Godzilla-sized energy blasts

Why am I envisioning Usagi watching the anime Nanoha, and getting idea's from that??? :lol:
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby LiliandraNadiar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Watching? I've been seeing 'replacing' Usagi's mom with Nanoha's older sister. :p

While I'm pretty certain Nanoha told her parents abour he magic, I'm not so sure about her sibs, but I find the idea that Usagi wants to emmulate her 'cool aunt with the staff' and/or calling for help and the bad of the month getting a Divine Buster upside the face highly amusing.
When in danger, or in doubt;
Run in circles, scream and shout
LiliandraNadiar
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby al103 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:57 pm

LiliandraNadiar wrote:Watching? I've been seeing 'replacing' Usagi's mom with Nanoha's older sister. :p

While I'm pretty certain Nanoha told her parents abour he magic, I'm not so sure about her sibs, but I find the idea that Usagi wants to emmulate her 'cool aunt with the staff' and/or calling for help and the bad of the month getting a Divine Buster upside the face highly amusing.

You realize that adding swordsman/bodyguard/ninja/assassin as mother would change things greatly by itself? Especially given that Fuwa-ryuu hereditary feature of family?
al103
Senshi Cadet

Re: Giving Usagi the Bhepin Treatment

Postby Comartemis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:25 pm

I think I've just come up with an idea that trumps all the others that've been put forward so far.

We change nothing about Usagi's life, not directly anyways. We don't change any of the core rules of the Sailor Moon universe so the Silver Crystal doesn't have any additional powers, and the other Senshi are no different from normal either. What we change is the year Usagi is born in.

Usagi is an avid gamer, as we see quite often early in the series and again and again throughout the later seasons as well. But in the early 1990s, there aren't a whole lot of games around that challenge one's intellect so Usagi isn't really getting anything out of the experience.

But push the timeline forwards about ten years or so and you see something very interesting happen to video games; they become more complicated, they start demanding more thought from their players. Specifically, there's one game in particular released in 2001 that will grab Usagi's attention because Shingo keeps beating her at it, and make her play and play until she's mastered it completely and kicking his ass.

That game is Halo, ladies and gentlemen.

Now imagine what Usagi will be like when she's effectively using the Master Chief as a role model and invoking I Know Mortal Kombat on a regular basis. At the very least she is evaluating combat situations the same way she would on Legendary difficulty, which means no leaping out from behind cover and making a speech; against a single enemy you use stealth if at all possible, sneak up behind the guy and crack him on the head. Now imagine the other Senshi getting into the act as well with the games they've been playing; Jupiter + Guilty Gear, anybody?

*Sits back and headbangs to Unyielding*
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Artemis used the Sailor V video game to train Usagi and the other inners in the manga... interesting.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ran » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:24 pm

If you are going to have her obsess over a game, note that firstly, the original Xbox never sold well in Japan, so it would seem odd that Usagi would be obsessed with it, and secondly a more realistic shooter would probably be a better plan for badassery. (Plus Halo is a pretty boring FPS, it was just one of the first to work well on a console)
Ran
Senshi Cadet

Postby Konsaki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 pm

One thing you guys need to remember, Japan still has arcades and they're freaking huge. I'm talking seven floors of games huge and they're packed after school is let out.
Factor that in with the fact that Usagi is already a social character prone to visiting arcades and it makes sense that she'd probably spend her time/money there instead of in front of a console at home.

Considering the fact that Japanese arcade games are leaps and bounds over anything we had here in the US, you could figure that she gained her skills in 'bad ass' playing a motion capture type fighting game or something of the sort before even becoming Moon.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Hmm... Artemis hacking / reverse engineering a game (Halo/ Quake II / something else ) creating basically a Senshi sim, where they participate in a multiplayer game playing themselves, with more or less realistically depicted Senshi abilities? With Luna as the evil mastermind leading a pack of AI youma?

Then Shingo, Umino or Naru beating the game by using SM's abilities better than Usagi does?
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon