"Disguise fields" in Sailor moon

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:29 am

Shadell wrote:WarG: Looking back at the anime I notice one more thing. At that time Sailor V was believed to be dead, and in England. Who would you expect to see more, a dead superhero who was last seen halfway across the world, or your sister?

Additionaly, hair is the single most recognizable part of the face. Usagi's transformation barely changes that (the ornaments) and yet her own brother fails to recognize her at all.

As to Sailor V being believed dead and in England... so what, there is still denial of reality that many would do. people make mistakes, look at Elvis, there are people today who swear that he is still alive. Once the connection to V is made he would not want to make one to his sister.

As to the hair, the color is the same for both, so he might assume that V chose to change her hair style.

Remember this over all, in the Moon Kingdom, Venus was used as a body double for the princess (Can someone confirm this, I heard it before) that is why as Sailor V she had that crescent moon on her forehead instead of the sigil of Venus.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:14 pm

Actaully that's right. It's exactly why she had the crescent at first and not a Tiara.
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:04 pm

In the manga, Venus only acts as a decoy in the present time while Luna is training Usagi as a senshi. I think it's the same for the anime.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Tovath » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:05 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:In the manga, Venus only acts as a decoy in the present time while Luna is training Usagi as a senshi. I think it's the same for the anime.

No in the anime Venus never pretends to to be the Princess, that I remember at least
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:47 pm

No? Well, you're probably right. My fuzzy memory doesn't remember anything happening to Venus when Moon becomes a princess while holding Tux boy.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 pm

Tovath wrote:
No in the anime Venus never pretends to to be the Princess, that I remember at least
In season 3 Sailor Venus pretends to be sailor Moon by altering her "armor" and putting her hair in ponytails once. Moon and Venus could likely pass each other as sisters or maybe even twins.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 pm

Zwzn wrote:Haruka thought Misstress 9 was Saturn. Supposedly Saturn was an outer senshi. I go with Haruka is just stupid.

claymade wrote:How, exactly, is the above evidence of stupidity? As opposed to just a lack of information?
They never seem to consider the possibility that that Saturn/Hotaru is not the enemy. Pluto knew, but didn't seem to give out Information until it was useless to the other senshi.

Zwzn wrote:Why would they have a disguise field in the old transformation?

claymade wrote: What makes you think it had to be in the old transformation in the first place? Their magic is obviously incredibly adaptive--heck, it can even conjure up something as random as ice skates at need.
Considering iceskating was very popular before Beryl's attack I'm not suprised their armor could do that.

claymade wrote: So this is likely just another instance of the magic adapting to their needs, as P. H. Wise says. Or, if you wanted to be more deliberate about it, you could chalk it up to a modification to the parameters by Luna. Either way, there's no need to posit a contradiction.
When does Luna make anything in the anime or manga? She just summones stuff.

When is the magic shown to adapt to their needs?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Shadell » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:22 pm

WarGiver wrote:
As to Sailor V being believed dead and in England... so what, there is still denial of reality that many would do. people make mistakes, look at Elvis, there are people today who swear that he is still alive. Once the connection to V is made he would not want to make one to his sister.

As to the hair, the color is the same for both, so he might assume that V chose to change her hair style.

Remember this over all, in the Moon Kingdom, Venus was used as a body double for the princess (Can someone confirm this, I heard it before) that is why as Sailor V she had that crescent moon on her forehead instead of the sigil of Venus.

Or there could just be a disguise field or somesuch that prevents people from making the most obvious connection. If you leave it at that, then you don't need a string of successive (And increasingly unlikely) possibilities. I admit there could be a chance people wouldn't make the connection.

but, if you'll bear with me, lets look at the situation: how many people know Usagi, or have seen Usagi enough to possibly note the similarities between her and Sailor Moon? At least 90 to 100, counting just the people she sees everyday. Probably a lot more then that, given her outspoken behavior. Now, since they do act pretty different, the odds of failing to make the connection could be pretty high, despite the fact that they look the same. But, for your theory to be true, a 95 percent chance would have to occur unanimously perhaps 100 times (Counting the people she doesn't see as much, but still often enough)

The odds of that happening are ((19/20)^100) (Roughly 0.59%Very low.)

Thus the chances of your arguement holding true in a (Simplified) real world enviroment are less then 2/3 of one percent. And that's assuming the chance of missing the connection is a one-time thing. Once someone has seen Usagi and identified her subconsiously as 'not Sailor Moon' That they will never have any chance of making the connection again.

However, it might happen. That brings us back to good ol' Okkam's razor. The simplist solution is true. Rather then relying on an event that has less then 1% chance of occuring a disguise field explains everything neatly and more believably.

As I said, your argument is possible, just not the least bit plausible.
Last edited by Shadell on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu on Friday May 23, 2008 7:33 pm
http://www.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=175018118
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:33 pm

Zwzn wrote:When does Luna make anything in the anime or manga? She just summones stuff.

After the defeat of Beryl and Metallia in the manga, Luna and Artemis make them new transformation pens as well as communicators. They distinctly say that they couldn't transform without them. (Their pens had been destroyed in the battle against Metallia to help Moon.)
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Tovath » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:59 pm

Zwzn wrote:In season 3 Sailor Venus pretends to be sailor Moon by altering her "armor" and putting her hair in ponytails once. Moon and Venus could likely pass each other as sisters or maybe even twins.

I must have missed that episode which one is it?
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Episode 101, where Kalionite gets tossed off the tower.

-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby claymade » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Zwzn wrote:They never seem to consider the possibility that that Saturn/Hotaru is not the enemy. Pluto knew, but didn't seem to give out Information until it was useless to the other senshi.

A) Considering Saturn's circumstances, I don't see how Haruka's assumption is as "stupid" as you make it out to be.

B) And in any case, it still wouldn't explain one of the fundamental flaws in the mundane approaches. They rely on people being immensely unperceptive--and yet people do suspect--and even percieve--who the Senshi are. It's just that, consistently, it's done through means that are not facial recognition, means that are sometimes, in fact, subtler.

So which is it? If they have anything resembling good perception they should recognize the blindingly obvious right away. If they're blind, brain-dead morons they should miss the subtle clues as well.

The obvious resolution between the two is that we're dealing with a rigged game here.

Zwzn wrote:Considering iceskating was very popular before Beryl's attack I'm not suprised their armor could do that.

Ice skating was very popular in the Moon Kingdom? On what evidence do you base that assertion?

Zwzn wrote:When does Luna make anything in the anime or manga? She just summones stuff.

The cats replace & upgrade their transformation pens to more powerful versions in the anime as well.

Heck, the cats are effectively the SM tech support team. Why on earth should we be at all surprised that the cats would know how to mod the settings of the transformation pens?
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:04 am

claymade wrote:Ice skating was very popular in the Moon Kingdom? On what evidence do you base that assertion?

IIRC, Luna says so in the first season of the anime. I think Luna also says Usagi (back in the moon kingdom)could skate very well.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:45 am

Zwzn wrote:They never seem to consider the possibility that that Saturn/Hotaru is not the enemy. Pluto knew, but didn't seem to give out Information until it was useless to the other senshi.

claymade wrote:A) Considering Saturn's circumstances, I don't see how Haruka's assumption is as "stupid" as you make it out to be.
The assumption Haruka made was because of Rie's vision being put into her head by Pluto(who is from Crystal Tokyo), and her not knowing Saturn well if at all in a past life. The vision clearly showed a daemon holding the Silence Glaive, and Uranus and Neptune saw people possessed by daemons. Haruka saw the weapon, and ignored the user. A quick scan by Mercury would tell them this. Moon Spiral Hearts Attack does not damage the possessed thing, and would have left Hotaru unharmed. Hotaru did not have visible injuries from the "accident" as I remember. She would have been a corpse(It's not like she was needed in seasons 3, 4, and 5 IMO) or fine without Misstress Nine making her sick.

claymade wrote:B) And in any case, it still wouldn't explain one of the fundamental flaws in the mundane approaches. They rely on people being immensely unperceptive--and yet people do suspect--and even percieve--who the Senshi are. It's just that, consistently, it's done through means that are not facial recognition, means that are sometimes, in fact, subtler.
I consider most people to be immensely unperceptive morons in general in the real world, and the senshi are shown to be morons when it comes to figuring out stuff I think they should easily figure out.

claymade wrote:So which is it? If they have anything resembling good perception they should recognize the blindingly obvious right away. If they're blind, brain-dead morons they should miss the subtle clues as well.
I go with the moron theory. They miss most of the subtle clues.

Zwzn wrote:Considering iceskating was very popular before Beryl's attack I'm not suprised their armor could do that.

claymade wrote:Ice skating was very popular in the Moon Kingdom? On what evidence do you base that assertion?
It was stated that Princess Serenity liked to skate in the Ep their shows become iceskates wasn't it? Maybe I didn't say things clearly.

claymade wrote:The cats replace & upgrade their transformation pens to more powerful versions in the anime as well.
The cats gave them new transformation wands. The cats just do a cute back flip(wich I don't recall seeing the cats doing for the season 2 wands), and the thing appears, but if the cats had the new ones all along, why wait until season two to give them to the senshi? I think the new wands came from Crystal Tokyo.

claymade wrote:Heck, the cats are effectively the SM tech support team. Why on earth should we be at all surprised that the cats would know how to mod the settings of the transformation pens?
Tell me an Ep in wich the cats are shown making things. The cats are political advisers, and never claim to be craftsmen.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:09 am

The cats making things, or being 'tech support' is most obivous in the manga, guiding the Senshi to D-Point from the terminal at Crown, the aforementioned making of new pens and communicators (I assume so anyway), scanning the earing left by Petz when he died, and there are probably more that I've forgotten...

Oh, and in the Sailor V manga Artemis had something to with the creation of the terminal at Crown Arcade and created the Sailor V game.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon