"Disguise fields" in Sailor moon

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

"Disguise fields" in Sailor moon

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:36 am

(I made this topic so as to not derail the cliche topic.)

I don't remember there being any mention of a disguise field in the anime and manga, but I think the disclosure of their identities is mostly dependent on convenience and relevance to the plot. It's not uncommon for someone with a different appearance, either done by magic or not, to not be recognized in Japanese mediums.

There is an even more widespread notion related to this, where some girl gets a makeover and the guy, at first, doesn't recognize her. Now, when you consider any of the inner senshi, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they get any extra or special attention from anyone in school, which suggests they are seen as average school girls to other students and anyone else. So, when they go from that state to a bishoujo senshi, they automatically get a high possibility to avoid recognition with short exposures. In Haruka's case, the difference in appearance and attire is more different despite how she is a known racer.

There are the beholder's expectations, as mentioned before in the cliche topic, as well. Plus, how can you recognize one person from another unless you've seen both forms? So that cuts down on the possibility of discovery as well. Plus, the disguise pen that Usagi uses in the anime, as well as the thing that Minako (as Sailor V) uses in the manga, are direct disguises and work a whole lot better for both disguise and infiltration.

But let me get back to the point in the first paragraph, about it being convenient and relevant to the plot. The creator won't reveal any identities to other characters if it would become a stumbling block in the direction that they want to go, or create a time-consuming subplot that there's no time for. They can take advantage of the fact that the character looks different in one form from another, to allow identities to be revealed at a time of their choosing, if they so wish that to happen. If just any character could recognize their forms (such as seeing pictures of the senshi on TV and posters and then seeing someone similar in real life), it'd be a real distraction to the main plot. Thus is why it's very, very rare (if it happens at all) for any magical girl's identity to be discovered by the masses and hounded at their place of residence and all that.

In Motoki's case, in the manga, he found out after he was released from Mamoru's mind control. But his recognition wasn't a hindrance to the current plot, due in part because he had no romantic ties to any of them, though it was mostly because he's just a nice person who won't reveal their identities. Cheap-O, I think. To put it simply, the creator doesn't tend to have identities revealed all willy-nilly and, in most cases, what they intend to do is best done without identities being revealed at just any time. Either they plan for the right circumstances for them to be revealed in the plot, or their identity being discovered just never happens.

I guess it's just my opinion that there aren't any disguise fields and that it just seems that way because Takeuchi Naoko had plans that didn't involve revealing their identities to just anyone. The only one that was actually involved with the plot was between the only real romantic relationship, between Usagi and Mamoru. Which is a typical development in the area of revealing identities. Some plots even hinge on finding someone's identity (such as in Love Hina), but they don't discover them despite them being right in front of them until the creator intends it to happen at what they consider to be the "right" time. In Sailor moon's case, the recognition between Mamoru and Usagi really mattered to the plot, so it was a pivotal point in the plot that needed to happen. Motoki had just gotten caught up in events, and his recognition was dealt with accordingly (quickly and typically).
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm

(moved from another topic)

I think the best explanation I have ever heard for "disguise fields" when they don't exist is here: http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=800

People don't see what is in front of them if they don't expect it to be there. Especially if it doesn't match what they expect to see.

To put it bluntly, if Usagi's mother expects to not recognize Sailor Moon as anyone she knows, then Usagi goes unrecognized.

In my opinion this is the best answer to the disguise field problem and cliche. Sort of a self hypnosis type thing.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby claymade » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:26 pm

I think disguise fields are a reasonable inference, given what we see happen. (This will be with regard to the anime continuity, not the manga, which I've not read.)

For one thing, we know that there are spells with a somewhat similar effect. As mentioned above, the disguise pen alters the perceptions of most watchers, although the Senshi are always able to see through it themselves. So Moon Kingdom magic is certainly capable of accomplishing an effect like the one described.

Also, note how often that an anime villain's recognition of Sailor Moon is tied to seeing the transformation. Jadeite and Sailor Moon clash again and again and he's clueless as to her identity, but as soon as she transforms in his sight, he's got her identity made. Same with Nephrite.

Even more, Haruka, Michiru and Moon certainly each got nice, long, perfectly unimpeded looks at each other in both forms, in broad daylight, but never recognize their alter egos until--yet again--they transform in front of each other.

So given the incidents above--and the fact that we know disguise-ish magic is within Moon Kingdom capabilities anyway--Senshi disguise fields seem to me the inference that best fits the facts.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:55 pm

However, other than the transformation pen (and just the pen since we're talking anime-only), which actually gives a disguise, a disguise field is never mentioned, and there's never a "don't worry, we/I have a disguise field," comment/thought. Is a disguise field possible? Most certainly. But seeing someone transform after seeing them transformed is not a solid case to resolve that the existence of a disguise field is a fact. Like I mentioned before, it's most likely a case of the creator's discretion. They don't need an explanation for why they're not easily recognized when the majority of their change in appearance effects their attire.

And, usually, things are explained; especially in the manga. The Sailor moon series has a lot of gadgets and doodads (even moreso in the anime), and yet this disguise field, so fundamental in the maintaining of their secret identity, is overlooked?

After I spent some time looking in the manga, I decided to look more closely over Motoki's case. (I was looking for another case, but I can't find it yet.) Motoki had been brainwashed by Mamoru when he had been under Beryl's control, and had been with Mamoru when they entered the control center under the arcade. He was also there to see the senshi transform. It didn't take long for him to get knocked out after that, though. Now, when he came to, he had just been teleported out of the way of danger. As soon as he saw his saviors (Mercury and Jupiter), after he did the classic, "what's happening," he gasped and immediately recognized them as Ami and Makoto. A little later he's shown to be a bit confused about events, just then noticing that there was a hole in the arcade's roof, and only mentioning Ami and Makoto as being senshi despite having also seen Rei and Minako transform. But, due to being under Mamoru's control when they had all transformed, and him thinking that he had been dreaming, it's a nice piece of evidence against disguise fields, seeing as he recognized Ami and Makoto without having any recollection of the time he had been under Mamoru's control.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:36 pm

The anime isn't the manga.

The manga, is not the anime.

But comon, how many people have that hairstyle?

-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:41 pm

perhaps the style is rare, but I reiterate my point, since Usagi is to much of a clutz to be sailor moon, nobody will want to accept it, so without definitive proof nobody will make the connection.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Tovath » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Given that he was under a spell then saw two of the senshi transform, I don't think that is the best case to base anything on. Also you haven't said why Usagi didn't recognize Haruka and Michiru, if there is no disguise field.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Tovath wrote:Given that he was under a spell then saw two of the senshi transform, I don't think that is the best case to base anything on. Also you haven't said why Usagi didn't recognize Haruka and Michiru, if there is no disguise field.

On that note I'll put forth the obvious.

Usagi is an idiot.

Seriously, she is just shy of being a retard. True, 90% of her planet is as well, but so what?

As to the "Disguise Field"? I really can't find any evidence to support it's existence, so I'll say it don't exist. See above for the reason no-one notices who the Senshi are.
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:13 pm

"Disguise fields" are simply a rationalization on the part of the fans because of the author's short-cutting of situations that have generally no effect on the plot.

I think the disclosure of their identities is mostly dependent on convenience and relevance to the plot

Exactly. Even if there was only one person with such a distinction (such as Usagi's hair) no one will recognize her unless the plot calls for it. And when they do notice, unless the plot calls for it, the civvies (such as her brother) will come up with some excuse. "Nah, Usagi's too stupid/klutzy to be Sailor Moon."

It's not uncommon for someone with a different appearance, either done by magic or not, to not be recognized in Japanese mediums.

Superman did it first (and I think western comics still do it far more extensively than japanese manga), although these days the writers will take their time to create this rationalization themselves. Superman "vibrates" so that there is no way to take a clear picture of him.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Tovath » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Lord Aries Greymon wrote:
On that note I'll put forth the obvious.

Usagi is an idiot.

Seriously, she is just shy of being a retard. True, 90% of her planet is as well, but so what?

Ok I can't argue with that but the other inner senshi are not idiots and no one recognizes Minako in episode 34 when she shows up at the Hikawa shrine.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:51 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:However, other than the transformation pen (and just the pen since we're talking anime-only), which actually gives a disguise, a disguise field is never mentioned, and there's never a "don't worry, we/I have a disguise field," comment/thought. Is a disguise field possible? Most certainly. But seeing someone transform after seeing them transformed is not a solid case to resolve that the existence of a disguise field is a fact. Like I mentioned before, it's most likely a case of the creator's discretion. They don't need an explanation for why they're not easily recognized when the majority of their change in appearance effects their attire.

Except that simply ignoring things at "creator's discretion" is a rather unfulfilling explanation for me. Thus, if there's an actual in-plot explanation that's consistent with canon, I'll definitely lean toward that.

Consider a fic-writer's choices: do you have your characters arbitrarily recognize the Senshi, even transformed? Ah, but that breaks our expectation from canon, since there are notable instances in the series where (for whatever reason) this simply doesn't happen, when it should. But then why doesn't it happen? If you want a plausible plot--one that doesn't overtly rely on narrative fiat--it behooves you to come up with an explanation. "Disguise magic" is the best explanation I've yet heard.

WarGiver wrote:perhaps the style is rare, but I reiterate my point, since Usagi is to much of a clutz to be sailor moon, nobody will want to accept it, so without definitive proof nobody will make the connection.

A possible explanation, but I don't personally find it convincing. I would have a hard time swallowing that an unintentional mental trick like that could work with the level of consistency we see in the series.

Plus, what about the non-clutzy Senshi, such as Uranus and Neptune?

Lord Aries Greymon wrote:On that note I'll put forth the obvious.

Usagi is an idiot.

Even if she were that much of an idiot as to have no facial recognition abilities whatsoever--a tenuous proposition in the extreme--it doesn't explain why none of the other Senshi ever make the connection either. Or why Uranus and Neptune never recognized any of them.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 pm

perhaps the style is rare, but I reiterate my point, since Usagi is to much of a clutz to be sailor moon, nobody will want to accept it, so without definitive proof nobody will make the connection.

Sailor Moon is a klutz too.

Now, the real reason nobody recognizes the Senshi is as LAG says. The entire planet is 60 degrees over the 'retarded' line.

However, in fanfiction, the 'disguise field' is a worthwhile device because it lets you pretend things are a little smarter all around.

Though an 'Absolute Retard Field' being projected from the Silver Crystal makes too much sense to ignore. Might explain all SM's 'issues'.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:55 pm

TerraEpon:

But the Sailor moon anime is based off of the Sailor moon manga. Saying that the manga is not the basis for fact is like saying that God didn't create Adame and Eve, or humans evolved from apes, or the "new testament" has nothing to do with the "old." Again it comes down the discretion of those who make the decisions behind the creation and, as far as I recall, the original conceiver of the Sailor moon universe, Takeuchi, was not involved with the anime. At least to my knowledge.

Tovath:

I think you missed my point. I must not have worded it well, so I'll try again. Motoki saw them transform, but he had been under Mamoru's control at that time. When he was no longer under his control, he didn't remember what he had done while under said control. But, he was still able to recognize Jupiter and Mercury as Makoto and Ami despite having no memory of seeing them transform.

This part answers for more than just Tovath:

As for Usagi not recognizing Haruka and Michuru way after she had gotten her memory of the past back? She never met them in the past, just like she had never met Pluto and Saturn. Uranus and Neptune spent their time in the outer reaches of the solar system. Thus neither the "inner" nor "outer" senshi have any knowledge about the other based on interactive experience. Saturn was sealed away, Pluto was in the fourth dimension where Queen Serenity (not Neo) kept her identity secret, Uranus and Neptune were together on the outer reaches of the Solar system, and Mars, Jupiter, Mercury and Venus were with the princess (Usagi) on the moon.

Mondu_the_fat:

Oh, right, thank you for correcting me about the Western comics. I never read enough to be able to conclusively say how much it happens despite knowing that it does happen.

claymade:

Exchanging an "unfulfilling explanation" with one that is personally satisfying would be skewing reality. Heck, the anime itself skews reality in the sailor moon universe. Sure, it's personal choice, but everything has a basis that must be recognized (the anime has its basis in the manga, and the manga in Takeuchi, and Takeuchi with what inspired the ideas, et cetera). The "disguise field" has no basis at all, as it's only a theory. Characters in a story not recognizing transformed characters, even when they know them in "civilian" form, doesn't necessarily lay down the law. Characters only finding out their identity when they make the transition between identities is a common plot device used for all sorts of methods of disguise. It's more involving, dramatic and useful in a serious plot than just right out having them point at them upon first meeting and realizing who they are. Might be good in a comedy, but it really comes down to the plot and the creator's intentions.

Of course, speaking about this has reminded me of such a comedy where, at the end, the classroom admits that they had known who the magical girl had been all along. "We thought we were supposed to keep quiet about it," was what they had all said after pointing out several obvious things that connected the "civilian" form with that of the "magical girl" form. Ah, Magical Project S was the stuff that num-nums are made of.

Edit in for Palewolf:

Well, you can practically get away with anything if you say it's because of the ginzuishou. But there's no evidence that Usagi has ever used it for keeping their identity secret. I mean, if she had, then no one would find out, period. Even if they saw them transition. It's that freakin' uber-powerful. There's also no evidence that it does anything when not in manual usage either, so automatically doing it can be tossed out as well.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:09 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Edit in for Palewolf:

Well, you can practically get away with anything if you say it's because of the Ginzuishou. But there's no evidence that Usagi has ever used it for keeping their identity secret. I mean, if she had, then no one would find out, period. Even if they saw them transition. It's that freakin' uber-powerful. There's also no evidence that it does anything when not in manual usage either, so automatically doing it can be tossed out as well.

But, sadly, there's no evidence that it doesn't do something when not in manual use.

Still, even saying the crystal does it won't help at all in most of the first season. IIRC, the Ginzuishou was formed of seven separate crystals, and one of them was stuck in one of the smarter people. (Rei's Grandfather, though his intelligence may be argued later)

I'll admit, everyone's smarts do seem to go down the toilet after the crystal is assembled.

I've never read but part of one issue of the manga (and that several years ago, wondering what the hell it was), and thus have no usefull knowledge of it. Everything I say deals with the anime,
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:24 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:But the Sailor moon anime is based off of the Sailor moon manga.

Based off of, yes. But they're distinct canons. There are utterly irreconcilable differences between them. People die in the manga that don't in the anime. If you want to set your fic in the manga version of the Sailor Moon universe because it's more faithful to Takeuchi's original vision that's completely, 100% okay. But if you want to do a fic using the anime characters you simply can't assume that the two versions are going to be the same, because they demonstrably aren't. Thus, even if something was one way in the manga, the anime ficcers are under no obligation whatsoever to assume that it's the same case in the anime without anime-verse proof.

Exchanging an "unfulfilling explanation" with one that is personally satisfying would be skewing reality.

Not if there's no conflict between the theory and the fictional universe.

Also, the whole reason I find it unfulfilling is that is skews the fics relationship to the real reality. There's a less-kind term for "use of creator's discretion that violates common sense." It's called a "plot hole."

But for my part, I see no reason whatsoever to write it off to a plot hole--or unbelievable stupidity--when there's a perfectly good hypothesis that explains the data without having to resort to such plausibility-breaking measures.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon