Do NOT seach logic in the SM anime!

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Do NOT seach logic in the SM anime!

Postby Cheb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:00 pm

1. The anime is not a Canon, it's similar to fanfics in its nature, because every season was created by a different team of directors, each with their own quirks and interpretations. Each one pulled in a different direction, practically ripping the storyline apart.
2. The Season 4 (SuperS) had deviated so far from the rails that in the Season 5 (Stars) the director was replaced with another guy who tried desperately to bring everything back on track. So most of what happens in the beginning of that season, namely in the episodes 167..172 (girls moving to the High school, etc.), should be put *before* the Season 4 (ep. 128) if you wish to keep your sanity.
3. Ergo, if you want to use the anime as a Canon, you should repair it first! Otherwise it isn't fitting for that role.
[a cry from the heart]
And for the Goodness' sake, do not exploit the plot holes! Just patch them as you see it fitting for your story, or just ignore them! Ask someone who knows! Use material from the manga, at last!
Because all these shamanistic dances around the plot hole called "Great Freeze" drive me mad! :evil:
[/a cry from the heart]
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Tovath » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Could you provide me with a link to information about the manga (plot summerys and stuff) I can't do as you ask without that information and it will be impossable for me to find the manga now.
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Do NOT seach logic in the SM anime!

Postby TerraEpon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:10 pm

Cheb wrote:1. The anime is not a Canon, it's similar to fanfics in its nature, because every season was created by a different team of directors, each with their own quirks and interpretations. Each one pulled in a different direction, practically ripping the storyline apart.
[/a cry from the heart]

Of course it's canon -- it's just anime canon, and the canon the majority of fics use as their basis. And I imagine that, unlike with Ranma, many of us haven't read the SM Manga to even know (also unlike with Ranma, it's different enough to know which they are using for the most part)
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Of course it's canon

Correction: it's a moth-gnawed Canon. If you try to use it as it is, you will just fall into one of numerous plot holes and break your leg.
What I suggest is to crate, with a joint effort, the Fukufics Bible of Corrected Sailormoon Canon. Where we will patch up the plot holes created by the careless herd of directors ("A seven babysitters have a child without an eye", see the "Russian proverbs" section). Slowly and carefully we should alther the damaged SM Canon, then after everyone approves our new version, propose to use it instead of the Anime Canon.
Just like Burger Bekky did with the original "Sailor Ranko" - a nice thing, but full of plot holes.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby claymade » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Cheb wrote:What I suggest is to crate, with a joint effort, the Fukufics Bible of Corrected Sailormoon Canon. Where we will patch up the plot holes created by the careless herd of directors ("A seven babysitters have a child without an eye", see the "Russian proverbs" section). Slowly and carefully we should alther the damaged SM Canon, then after everyone approves our new version, propose to use it instead of the Anime Canon.

This, to me, seems unnecessarily stifling. Far better, I propose, for fic writers to weave into their fics their own rationalization of any plot holes that happen to conflict with their story--it shouldn't be that hard to do. Like it or not, moth-gnawed or not, the anime is the canon for anime-based fics. Trying to insist that fic writers must everywhere and always discard canon fact A in light of canon fact B (instead of the other way around) seems to me as though it would serve little purpose other than to limit creativity in solving these problems.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:26 pm

Not if your including stuff from both the manga and the anime, even if it's just to show the differences.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Then let it be an Encyclopaedia of plot holes, describing their details and their origins. Then the authors will be able to make a knowledgeable decisions on what to do with which particular plot hole.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:14 pm

Cheb wrote:Then let it be an Encyclopaedia of plot holes, describing their details and their origins. Then the authors will be able to make a knowledgeable decisions on what to do with which particular plot hole.

*nods* That seems a good idea.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:50 am

Although it should be noted that no small number of warry wordsmiths have stumbled upon these little potholes none the wiser until the reading public descends on them like locusts. Whether it be ignorance, oversight or intention its not going to be possible to stop the problem altogether, what with canon being canon regardless of its polish or shine. Thats what our C&C and Fic Research sections are aimed at.
The idea has merit and is admirable however. Id abuse the internet search functions first. No need to reinvent the wheel if its already a competitive industry with ample supply afterall.
In that vein a small article about Schrodinger's Cat and its application to SM.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dingersCat
And a nice list of some other qualities.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SailorMoon
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby Suikie » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:41 pm

So wait... if SuperS was so far off the rails... is that why it sucks so hardcore? Seriously, I can barely stand to watch it! It's like... the anime is corny as is but SuperS makes me want to puke. Does anyone know where I can get a scanlated version of the manga? I don't want the american garbage. And don't get me wrong I like sailor moon even with its cornyness but I haven't managed to get past SuperS because every time I try to watch it i start convulsing, JK lol. I wanna read the japanese version of the manga but not enough known yet! Makes it hard to write a fic when you don't know the entire story.
Suikie
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:48 pm

There's a group at Sailor Moon Fansubs.com that's working on making one. In the meantime, the same website has the American version of the comic available as a torrent or a direct download.

And before you bash SuperS, I suggest you take a look at this site. It makes a few very interesting points about the SuperS anime and manga that are often overlooked.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:45 am

but SuperS makes me want to puke.

Super S is one of the best seasons -- in its own way.
But it is a pure comedy, nothing there could be taken seriously.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Suikie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:11 pm

Ok, perhaps I was a little too harsh regarding SuperS but still, I find myself unable to watch more than a few episodes of it. Seriously, I think I almost went into diabetic shock last time I tried to watch it. Way too cutesy for me. The rest of the series was pushing it at times but SuperS is to the point you would think it were aimed towards children of age 5. I DO want to finish the sailor moon series but find it incredibly hard to muscle my way past the SuperS series. The fact is, I refuse to read or watch official translated copies due to the sheer lack of quality. Every time I've tried to watch an official anime, I know enough Japanese to know they aren't saying what the subtitles are trying to tell me they are. Damned companies change the script for their dub to match the animation and for some reason decide to only include the dub subtitles and not the ACTUAL translations. Then the fact they change names and even crucial plot points are destroyed entirely. Robotech, need I say more. Anyways, thanks for the links. Hopefully I can make my way past SuperS soon... and don't get me wrong, the storyline isnt the issue... it's damned chibi-usa and that damn evil unicorn! They haunt my dreams!
Suikie
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:15 pm

If you want, you could just skip ahead to Stars. Nehelenia comes back for round two for the first few episodes, but after that there's nothing pertaining to SuperS that is crucial to the plot so far as I can remember. And you'll be very happy to know that Saturn and the Outers return in all their glory before the third episode is through.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Suikie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Nah, I don't do the skip storyline thing. I'll probably wait til I can get my hands on a japanese manga scanlation or maybe import the manga myself... I could probably scanlate it myself but it would take a bit of doing, my vocabulary and kanji knowledge are quite lacking.
Suikie
Senshi Cadet

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon