Final Fantasy: Rise of Heroes

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Final Fantasy: Rise of Heroes

Postby Dorin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:17 am

Attempt for a hybrid board based play by post, and IRC channel game.

System: Returners, FFRPG 3rd Edition, available here

Beginning level one for characters, assuming base classes, but discussion available.

A wiki for information and character profiles will be coming. The last time I ran this system, I swamped players and myself in the verbose writing I did, so the wiki will keep all the general and relevant information player's come across to help us all keep it organized.

This will be a role play heavy, so having fun with developing a character background and integrating into the world is strongly encouraged. IRC day and time will be determined based on players and availability. If people like forum play, then to keep from cluttering the Fuku boards, a separate board might be developed for multiple topic threads or the like, we'll see.

For write now, be as generic as you like, and we'll weave character backgrounds into the world's lore as it develops. Feel free to be as dynamic as you like.
Breaking with the medieval style norm of Final Fantasy, this will be a a more technology/futuristic style, depending on how the plot unfolds.

Campaign premise:

No one would ever think the little city of Delight, an ironic attempt to put a good spin on a poor and dying mining town, would ever garner much interest by anyone not thinking he might chance upon the next great, proverbial gold rush. Once, the town was one of several set in the Haulik Towers mountain chain, when a deep, long vein of exceptionally pure shisanka. A material both incredibly rare and important in the manufacture of technology for centuries. Once revered and surrounded by superstition, as a conduit for the magical energies of the gods. Now, far more understood to make it easier to bend the various energies of the universe. The marvelous technological growth of the past three or four centuries has progressed rapidly thanks to the properties of the odd, crystalline substance, which is still not fully understood today.

Thus, decades ago, towns like Delight enjoyed great prosperity as shisanka flowed from their mines. The production was not particularly great in Delight, but such was the purity that quotas need not be high to generate wealth. The mine has, like so many others, long since dried up and the profits much lesser than in the great, wild days of the past. And the decline has been gradual but continuing.

That is, until a deep survey team came across most unexpected readings while using deep penetrating sensors to locate potential veins of shisanka or other minerals. An odd ping, which resolved itself into a pocket of refined adamant. Not raw ore, but processed and apparently forged. Much excavation and blasting later, the source has been discovered and the news spread like wildfire.

An ancient temple to an as yet undetermined deity, or pantheon there of. Buried under massive tons of earth, several hundred feet beneath the surface, massive fifteen foot high doors, composed of a composite adamant alloy scientists are still trying to unravel. No ancient civilization in recorded history is known to have such advanced prowess to be able to forge an alloy which has proven resistant to all but the most powerful and determined blasting, or cutting techniques.

A curiosity indeed. Archaeologists, historians, scientists, treasure hunters, and a massive collection of others have come to the small city for the chance to assist in one of the most profound discoveries of all time. Yet, a potentially dangerous one. As one of the early exploration teams discovered when, upon finally breaching the great outer doors, they unwittingly triggered a release of noxious, almost fatally toxic gases into the chamber just beyond the entry way.

Exploration has been halted for the time being while a team is assembled. To probe the depths, disarm or work around potential hazards, and find a way to help gain access to potential treasures, ancient lore, and gods only know what else of interest.

Come you to seek knowledge? Test your mettle against ancient and unknown dangers? Earn fame? Plunder your fortune? All this and more will draw men and women of skill ... what lies beyond?

Edit: Go ahead and assume full HP and MP for your character, no need to roll. Traits are allowed.
Last edited by Dorin on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Re: Final Fantasy: Rise of Heroes

Postby Alanna » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Mithran Time Mage, Nadya Asraputri
http://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/200 ... Edward.jpg

Nadya was apprenticed to a Viera time mage at a young age. She quickly lost patience with her master's slow teaching, and tried to forge ahead on her own, reading and practicing behind her master's back. While she progressed relatively quickly in this manner, she never learned some of the finer nuances of magic use, and there were a number of calamities on the way while she learned Alchemy and Time. This resulted, however, in her gaining some small skill in a number of related fields, such as carpentry, tailoring, and repairing things that hadn't quite been destroyed in the resulting explosions or misfired magics.

Unfortunately, there was one final accident with a Hyper-Ether and a miscast Escape spell...and now she doesn't quite know how to get back to where she originally was.

To make a long story short, she ended up in the middle of a conclave of dark elves. Fortunately, the explosion knocked most of them out. Unfortunately, the guards saw enough of her to be able to recognize her, and they've been hunting her ever since.

She's spent the last few months running around the Haulik Tower mountains, trying not to get dead, and has made her way to the small town of Delight, where's she's resting, relaxing, and insanely curious about that ancient Temple they've dug up under the mountains.
Last edited by Alanna on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alanna
Senshi Candidate

Postby Light02 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm thinking of going range like an Archer with rifles

Basic Character Sheet

SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Name: Ethan Chambers
Sex: Male
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200
Build: Slender
Eye: Green
Hair: Brown
Race: Human
Job: Archer
Level: 1
EXP: 0
NEXT: 500
HP Die: d10
HP: 49/49

STATS: T Max Rate Default
STR: 06 (+25) 28 14
VIT: 07 (+20) 31 15
AGI: 11 (+25) 43 21
SPD: 09 (+20) 37 18
MAG: 04 (+15) 22 11
SPR: 04 (+15) 22 11

Equipment Name Arm M.Arm Eva M.Eva Notes
L.Hand: Escutcheon +0 +0 +4 +1 +1 AGI
R.Hand: Valient 22 + d12
Head: Straw Hat +1 +3 +0 +0 Slow Proof
Body:Storm Jerkin +4 +4 +0 +0 Lightning Ward
Hands:Chocobracelet +1 +2 +5 +0 ---
Accessory:Fairy Ring Blind Proof, Poison Proof

EVA: 29
M.EVA: 09
Armor: 07
M.Armor: 10
Dex: 73
Mind: 58
Acc: 73%
M.Acc: 109%

Snipe:
Take Aim +100% Armor Physical damage and condition infliction by +30

Skills

Artistic

General

Acrobatics 20

Scholastic

Language Common 50
Lore Monster 50
Lore History 20
Lore Area 20
Language Elvaan 20

Social

Technical

Vehicles 30

Thievery

Escape 20

Weapon

Guns 20

Wilderness

Climbing 30
Navigation 30

Advantages:

Heirloom (3 point)
(Start with one Accessory cost up to 2500 Gil at Char Gen)
Good Fortune (3 point)
(3 rerolls per session)
Hardened (2 point)
(+2 HP per level)
Combat Reflexes (2 point)
(never suprized in combat act in preemptive round if ambushed and immune to Unaware)

Disadvantages:

Code of Mercy (2 point)
(can't kill a target if target reaches 0HP)
Vulnerability (2 point)
(Vulnerable to Toxin)
Fury (1 point)
(Warrior Job gains Fury)
Elemental Deficiency: Bio (3 point)
(Bio damage increased by 50% Reisistance reduces damage to normal, Immunities reduces damage to 50% and Absorbance reduces damage to 0)
Favored Prey: (2 point)

Traits:

Will add backstory later
Last edited by Light02 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 am

This has my interest. Looking at rolling a Mithra Red Mage.

Backstory and Description:
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Kitoria was born to a prominent hunter in Levisgate, a city situated at the mouth of a large river into the sea. Like the name it held, a mash-up of its original name Leviathan's Gateway, the community was a mash-up of the original Mithra tribe which was originally on one side of the river and the multicultural city which grew to match it on the other side, connected by a long ago magic stone bridge spanning the river.

Kitoria is actually the younger of a pair of twins, though if asked she'll point out that 'it's only by a few minutes' with a roll of her eyes. Both daughters definitely take after their mother, though in different ways. Kitoria looks like a younger version of her mother, gaining the long platinum blonde hair, bright green eyes and a toned, lithe figure. Her sister, on the other hand, had gained the hunter's mindset required to be one of the greats along with the level of physicality required to compete on that level.

Kitoria found her magic abilities at a rather young age but could never settle down on which type of magic her overall aptitude lay. Black, White, Time... Each held her interest in some sort, but she also wanted to have at least some of the skills her mother had, so she also trained in swordsmanship as well. Eventually, she realized her path when a passing Tarutaru bard pointed out the path of the Red Mage, the jack of all trades, and it just clicked.

Of course, while being second daughter kept a lot of duties off Kitoria's shoulders, one clan tradition had eventually reared its ugly head; younger siblings without child had to tithe a portion of their income to their elder siblings child raising efforts. When Kitoria's niece drew her first breath, a quarter of her income was set aside for the child. She never held anything against the child, though, but just wasn't looking for having a child of her own anytime soon.

With this new drain on her funds, Kitoria found herself finding any job and any activity which could bring in Gil. She didn't know if it was fate or luck, good or bad, but during one of her outings, she had rescued a small winged feline-like creature. After healing its wounds, it adopted the young adventurer, surprising the young woman by talking fluently and identifying itself as Xavier. At first, Kitoria only kept Xavier around due to how useful he was at finding things, but a quick and strong friendship grew between the two.

It was actually Xavier which overheard the news of the find in Delight while the pair were completing a delivery job in a town nearby. The thoughts of adventure, fame and Gil quickly caught Kitoria's attention. This was a chance to not only make a name for herself in the world but also, if she was lucky, make enough money to cover her niece to adulthood; all in one adventure!

DESCRIPTION:
Kitoria is pretty average for mithra height, being around 5' 3" tall with her leather boots on. She's slightly on the light side though for weight, being around 130ish pounds compared to the average 145ish. Taking after her mother's style, she keeps her platinum blonde hair in a loose braid that runs to mid back while twin feathered bangs frame her face to draw attention to her striking green eyes. While still functional, her leather armor is starting to show signs of wear and tear; scuffing of her knee length tan leather boots, an old stain on her mid-thigh leather shorts and a patch or two on her worn leather jacket. Everything looks to be well maintained, though, including the rapier on her hip and red beret sitting atop her bright white hair.

Xavier, who's usually either flying around the adventurer on magically assisted wings or laying across his partner's shoulders, looks rather like a small tabby housecat if you discounted two things; the unusual tabby feathered wings growing out of his shoulders and the fact that his bright turquoise eyes held an intelligence that normal housecats wouldn't show.
Last edited by Konsaki on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dorin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:29 pm

I've edited the main post, and I'll say it here to note the edit as well; go ahead and assume full HP and MP for the first level. And you can select traits.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Konsaki » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm still interested in this game.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dorin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 pm

I know ^^ I'm working on a wiki and going to set up a forum so as not to clutter up the Fuku boards with posts.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Konsaki » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 am

Considering how little this sub-forum is used, I doubt we need to worry about 'cluttering it up'. :roll:
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Alanna » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:48 am

I was thinking something similar...

around the lines of 'oh no! We can't give the impression that this forum is active!'

Also, konsaki, it might be good if you were to check your Armor and M. Armor values...they look like you just added the percentage modifier to the base number, which is not the right way to do it...
Alanna
Senshi Candidate

Postby Konsaki » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 am

Alanna wrote:Also, konsaki, it might be good if you were to check your Armor and M. Armor values...they look like you just added the percentage modifier to the base number, which is not the right way to do it...
Huh... I'll rework my numbers then. The section regarding these values isn't very clear and I'm new to this specific system, so...

EDIT: I've updated my char sheet above after finding the example table in the book. Hopefully this is the final version of my char. :)
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Alanna » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 am

Alanna
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dorin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:38 pm

As one might expect, the old Cantor Mine, has become a roaring hub of activity within a few short weeks of the discovery of the ancient, assumed, temple. The grounds surrounding the mine are a chaotic network of covering tarpaulins, mobile housing units, and gods only know how much storage equipment. Folk of all manner have flocked in for various reasons. Many of them curious tourists, people of various races from all about the local area and beyond. Not only dwarfs and curious humans, but mithra, moogle, even flocks of curious elves and 'city' viera. Groups organized and lead in small units on timed cycles to see the secured area of the great, looming doors.

It is indeed a sight to behold, the chamber itself is an archaeological find in itself. Weeks of painstaking work removing layers of mineral sediment, dust, and piecing together the very geological shifts themselves have uncovered as yet unnoticed detail in the rocks themselves. A huge vault, with a high ceiling rising a towering sixty or more feet overhead, floating glow-lights illuminate a purposefully vaulted dome. Etched carvings of a decidedly alien design standout in the rocks, illuminated by various crawling lights to show the unusual patterns.

The lowering arch of the rock is shaped in precise and odd angles, forming unusual overhanging reliefs that jut in curious directions shapes not recognized from any past culture. Finally coming upon the looming doors. Massive constructs gleaming metal, a sheer obsidian shine upon their surface when struck with light. A refined adamant alloy of composition not seen before. The sweeping protrusions and intentions in the metal forming the same kind of strange, alien shapes which have no recognizable form, but somehow invoke a haunting beauty in the groups who come down to look upon them.

The lot of you (at this moment four) stand near those doors now, looking upon them in their grandeur and awe striking might. Imposing and so strange. For whatever reasons you are here, for whatever organizations who owe your pay, you are part of the first group which will begin exploration beyond ... just as soon as the teams can figure how everyone is supposed to get in.

A surly dwarf stands with you. Dressed in simple, heavy cotton coveralls. He'd look no different from the other teams of dwarfs, humans, and other techs and hands moving around the area. Still, he is the foreman in charge of organizing all the ongoing work. Glorian Goldbeard, for indeed the man's hair is a deep golden color. Braided and showing all the status of man of high profession, with various beads and trinkets painstakingly woven into mass of proteins, that his face is virtually lost within it. Save his glimmering blue eyes, and a huge potato of a nose. 'Handsome' would not be an applicable description ... to those not of dwarf racial traits at least.

He leans over a table, overflowing with various papers, all some form of analysis or reading. "Ugh, be damned it all, can't dent it, can't cut it, can't SCRATCH it!

"I've ne're, and I mean ne're seen adamant of the like! It's a hard metal, a sure, but a plasma cutter should be able to work it, at least ...

"But we've got a way. We can't go thru the doors? Can't go around them? Can't go over them? Then damnit, we'll go under 'em!"
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby DCG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Axinite bounced in place with building excitement as she looked over the odd place her master sent her this time. The vast cave's coming down, and the many spreading tunnels all ready hinted at rare ore's and treasures for ever one that invested into this project.

But it was whats in-front of her that seemed to be the big pay off, and the major focus. Isn't often you see something holding up to so many creative ways to blow things up.

She wasn't sure if it was luck. Or her master tossing money at the dig funds that got her in on the first team but she's rather happy to be here. Standing out in her unusual dress given the sitting. Pushing a little over 6' feet with blond hair long enough to brush her legs and very generous curves. All wrapped up in a misty blue maid uniform. A full "proper" maid uniform with lace, ribbons, and ruffles.

Her master felt his staff should be able to handle any job that comes up. So he had no problem sending them to make tea, or to go clean one of the company dig sights of troublesome things.

Looking over the rest of the picks for the first team she gave a wave, "Hi~ im axi"
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Light02 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Ethan looks at the meeting place, "really this is where my contact told me to meet..." he grumbles as he adjusts his gear before taking off his cap to get a better view of the place before noticing the maid, "what's a maid doing here?" he mutters as he approches her.
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Alanna » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Nadya stares up at the doors, eyes wide. "Wow...!" the mithran says, tail flicking behind her before curling into a question mark shape. "...That is one heckuva big ass mchuge door!" One of the large, feline ears on her head flicks, then turns to listen to the Dwarf and the others.

Her head tilts to the side, and she practically bounces over to them. "Hi!" She says, excitedly. "I'm Nadya! I'm new here! Why can't you go around the doors? A quick slip into sidereal time and pop out on the other side?"
Alanna
Senshi Candidate

Next

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs