Mondu's random fanart v 2013

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Re: Mondu's random fanart v 2013

Postby mondu_the_fat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:51 pm

scabbards
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 am

underskirt ruffles and designs
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:41 am

Starting to look very good.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:51 am

Is the bottom a ruffle or a petticoat? If it's a petticoat, there should be a shadow line below the hem of the skirt. Same for the line where the vest meets the skirt. I'm assuming the light source is almost directly above the figure, a few degrees to its front, judging by the way the other shadows are falling.

The overlap of the vest is indistinct to the left and above the buttons. It would look better if the overlapping edge was easier to see.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 am

@lwf68: petticoat. The program doesn't have proper lighting/shadow/rendering, so the shadows look terrible.

Blender's boolean tools are much more powerful than I thought, which means I can revisit the hair from the previous project. The hair looks like a proper single mold/has chamfers, which is the look I'm trying to go for.

Now if Blender didn't have itsy bitsy tiny buttons I'd use it more...
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:24 pm

That does work a lot better on combining the hair.

Do you want her bangs to be so "close" to her head? Or more "poofy" and with body?
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:44 am

poofy, with some forehead that can be seen.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:18 am

The shadows on the right hand locks of hair make them look like solid pieces of plastic, while the locks on the left hand side are okay. The section at the right rear seems to be completely unconnected to anything else. As it stands, it looks more like a weird half-helmet than a head of hair. Does that program not allow you to show finer locks or individual strands, or is that a later step?

On the face itself, the ear is sitting a little too low. The top of the ear should be level with the upper orbit of the eye, the part you have shadowed. If that were a real face, the ear would be centered on the jawline, 1 to 1 1/2 inches lower than it should be. If she were a fish girl, that would be about the right place for her gills. :wink:
lwf58
Site Master

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:54 am

lwf58 wrote:The shadows on the right hand locks of hair make them look like solid pieces of plastic, while the locks on the left hand side are okay. The section at the right rear seems to be completely unconnected to anything else. As it stands, it looks more like a weird half-helmet than a head of hair.

That's the look I'm going for. I'm going to try to make it look like a pvc/plastic figurine.

Does that program not allow you to show finer locks or individual strands, or is that a later step?

I won't be putting strands finer than those.

edit: photobucket is acting up. Sometimes the picture disappears.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:50 am

rigging test

problems so far: armpit when elbows are near the body causes a space to appear; ribbon twists and deforms when head is turned; bottom of vest flattens when bending side to side; buttons deform when the torso bends too much in any direction.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 am

First impression: I like the action in this pose a lot more than the previous one.

Second impression: Something bothered me about the sleeves. I thought about it for a few moments, and then realized that the poofs are beginning too far away from the shoulders, and there's no seam line between the sleeves and torso of the blouse. Even on a PCV figurine, there would be shallow grooves in the plastic to represent major seams. Also, the poofs should be a more abrupt angle at the seams, instead of having a smooth flow into them like they are now.

The vest on this version looks much better. It's more defined than the previous one.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Like that?
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 am

Yep! That's a big improvement. All of the sections are clearly defined and separate, and the sleeves look like sleeves instead of Popeye-style warped anatomy.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:36 pm

That does look a lot better. The vest is very cute, as are the sleeves.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 am

Rigging mostly works, except for the shoes.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art