The umpteenth Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Idea

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: The umpteenth Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Idea

Postby Spiral » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Also as another point, would it be a good or bad idea to give Ranma an animal guardian like Usagi, Minako and Rei do? Mostly to act as guidance prior to him really joining the group.

While I still have a lot to work out for a long run, I do know for the first arc that I want to have Ranma act independently for the first part of it. The idea is that, in his first appearance he would be in his male form, but his second battle would be female and discover the Sailor form in place of the Knight form for it. Because of embarrassment, he'd be reluctant to join them immediately. This would tie into Usagi and the others wondering who their new allies are and what their connection is. I even know exactly how I want to do the eventual scene where he joins and reveals the curse.

So would an animal guide be needed to move Ranma along in the beginning?
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am

Also as another point, would it be a good or bad idea to give Ranma an animal guardian like Usagi, Minako and Rei do? Mostly to act as guidance prior to him really joining the group.

Depends on what feel you want from the story i think. Adding a guardian tends to "lighten" things up at least a little most of the time, so if you're aiming for more serious, you will probably have to work harder with the writing. OTOH, it also allows easy exposition and showing things you otherwise may have difficulty with, which is a major advantage.
There's also a question about how informed you want him, with a guardian, he will know more(for good and bad)...

I would tentatively say, give him one, a cat... :P
(disclaimer, above suggestion not suitable for serious story if Ranma has the sideeffects of nekoken)

While I still have a lot to work out for a long run, I do know for the first arc that I want to have Ranma act independently for the first part of it. The idea is that, in his first appearance he would be in his male form, but his second battle would be female and discover the Sailor form in place of the Knight form for it. Because of embarrassment, he'd be reluctant to join them immediately. This would tie into Usagi and the others wondering who their new allies are and what their connection is. I even know exactly how I want to do the eventual scene where he joins and reveals the curse.

That works.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spiral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 am

Spica75 wrote:.Depends on what feel you want from the story i think. Adding a guardian tends to "lighten" things up at least a little most of the time, so if you're aiming for more serious, you will probably have to work harder with the writing. OTOH, it also allows easy exposition and showing things you otherwise may have difficulty with, which is a major advantage.
There's also a question about how informed you want him, with a guardian, he will know more(for good and bad)...

I would tentatively say, give him one, a cat... :P
(disclaimer, above suggestion not suitable for serious story if Ranma has the sideeffects of nekoken)

Little bit of both. Since the first Sailor Moon anime is the base, as well as the Ranma 1/2 universe in general, there would be lighthearted parts much like there often was in both, while things would get serious when necessary.
As for "knowing" it really depends on when this begins, and what there would be to know. Something like the Dark Kingdom arc could require knowledge, but past live knowledge wouldn't really be too relevant to the Black Moon necessarily. So that all ties back to deciding on the best starting point, be it during an existing arc or between ones with an original idea.

One current idea basically has him lead to and given a sword that awakens his power and transforms him by the animal.

And for obvious reasons, a cat might not work. Though the cast fist does present a challenge for how to work with the girls in the future, and I still struggle with a good idea to do something about that.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am

Spica75 wrote:I would tentatively say, give him one, a cat... :P

I remember one story where he had a magical cat advisor, but he kept insisting it was a squirrel. (Bad Kyubey!) Or maybe a rabbit. Magical advisor pets are noted for tinkering with their advisees' minds.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spiral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I remember one story where he had a magical cat advisor, but he kept insisting it was a squirrel. (Bad Kyubey!) Or maybe a rabbit. Magical advisor pets are noted for tinkering with their advisees' minds.

Bishounen Senshi Sailor Moon is the story you're thinking of. He rationalized her as being a squirrel as to why he shouldn't be afraid of her after.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:
I remember one story where he had a magical cat advisor, but he kept insisting it was a squirrel. (Bad Kyubey!) Or maybe a rabbit. Magical advisor pets are noted for tinkering with their advisees' minds.

There's several stories using that ploy and i think most of them did it more or less well, definitely funny. :mrgreen:
Squirrel, rabbit, tiger(not a CAT, just a very big feline in no way connected to cats!) a very furry and small -person-, a really big rat and something i forgot what it was... :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spiral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Spica75 wrote:tiger(not a CAT, just a very big feline in no way connected to cats!)

Wasn't a tiger the very first thing that he used the Nekoken thing on? Of course it could have just been all the other cats in that room.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spiral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:23 pm

I have to say, the way I look at it, the "best" option is to probably start things "early" on the SM timeline, that way I could pick the best parts to implement each idea and not have to rush in everything at once. But the question is "How early?" for things to start?

If I was to start during the Dark Kingdom, then that would require rewrites a plenty. Even other than implementing Ranma, if I am going with the Shitennou as good guys, and I see no idea why not to right now, would probably need to start sowing the seeds early. So that would be at least two two plot lines to work with. Since if I am working with this arc, I see no reason not to work with this plotline.

Or maybe between the Dark Kingdom and Black Moon arcs, like the Makai Tree arc and maybe take its place. Now, I do have a couple ideas on what to do, but for obvious reasons, this would require the most work. Would need to decide on what the plot will be from scratch, villains, plans, etc. That all said, it would let things with Ranma's side progress on its own and use the Shitennou and build up to each of their return. This would be the "best" choice, but also hardest.

Then like I said, we take in the Black Moon arc. This is something that would require a lot of work on its own. Even if it doesn't start during this arc, I have to factor in how Ranma and the Shitennou would affect the future of Crystal Tokyo? A lot to take into account.

And all that saying, this is without involving the Sailor Eris idea yet, which I am still unsure on how to implement, but it doesn't necessarily have to be done the same arc as Ranma becomes part of the group, unless the backstories of Silver Millenium Solar Knight and Sailor Eris becomes tied together. Something similar for the Cursed Mamoru plot, but that can be implemented in any time, so to speak. I can do it in a "Ranma 1/2 plot/arc" though that would require some thought as how best to do it.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Previous

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes