Ranma/ Fate Stay Night Crossover

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Ranma/ Fate Stay Night Crossover

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:14 pm

just an idea that i had. i figure it could take place shortly after the end of ranma 1/2 where he decides that because of how close the fight was and how close he was to losing akane that he needs to get stronger and decides to go on a training trip and hears about a powerful martial artist priest at a church and decides to investigate. there he meets kirei and challenges him, gilgamesh being bored decides that it would be interesting so he tells kirei to accept the challenge and much to kotomineis surprise ranma proves to be QUITE the challenge, especially seeing as ranma doesnt seem to be using and magic but is still pulling off feats that are near or even at servant level of strength and speed. or kotomine could have been informed of ranma by the mages association due to his recent defeat of a godlike being that would have a skill of regeneration EX most likely along with being at the center of not one but two events of large scale destruction. in order for ranma to be able to fight properly against heroic spirits and the like you could have him keep the gekaja and kinjakan.
the jusenkyou curse basically has to be an example of Magic as nothing else would really do. another way to go about it and a favorite of mine is to have him basically replace casters master as seeing a young women in pain he clearly HAS to help and he actually has alot of magic power, just not any experience or
consciously awakened. this also allows for the fun expierence of heroic spirit RANMA being summoned as an assassin class using the senken techniques.

i will probably add more to this later but i have work so i will come back later.
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Re: Ranma/ Fate Stay Night Crossover

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:22 pm

A Ranma and Caster link up? that I would likely read. She would likely constantly be looking for the other shoe to drop in regards to a betrayal, and would have to deal with his life. Likewise, someone whose motivations would be on protecting Ranma would very much alter her role in the story... he would not abide her canon actions.

Only problem... were he as impressive against Kirei as you suggest... I doubt Gilgamesh would merely let him be after that.

She could even study his curse... it is entirely possible a mage from the age of the gods might well have a potential solution... or if not, it could be fun seeing her fustrated at not having one.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Im amused at the idea of her making it worse for him, since thats always a fun idea. I'd imagine playing with magics one is unfamiliar with to come with such a result. II does seem an amusing setting for Ranma to be in, especially in such a situation if you contrive a scenerio where his curse does get messed with. as for magical power, while Fate is a series ive only recently watched I think it might be better to simply have Ranma misunderstood as a Heroic spirit of some type, though as said I dont know if that'd work within this universe. Still the idea of Ranma attracting enemies without actually being involved is much more in line with the Typical Saotome luck. If you really want to go the magic route, why not the reverse of that idea with magic. Have Ranma actually have very little magical power, or even have any magic he is involved with backfire in amusing fashion. It would be far more entertaining, and I can never see Ranma being the type of person to use magic, hell knowing his experiences with it in the past he'd probably be a bit more distrustful of it than most if anything.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 pm

well really the only way i can even slightly believe in the possibility of ranma being mistaken as a servant is if he is mistaken as an assassin class due to their concealment skill possibly allowing for why he would be able to avoid conventional detection by other servants and even that is iffy.

also i meant for ranma replacing casters master as a sort of seperate scenario than the scenario with him meeting kirei my bad i suppose i didn't make that clear in the initial post.

and while i do actually like the idea of ranma not having much in the way of magic himself i do need him to atleast have a good enough amount of it to properly support caster as a master. though i did think about having him act as a master mostly in the manner of supplying medea with enough mana to act properly and she actually uses him more as a conduit for channeling the power of jusenkyou allowing for as much if not more magical power than in the anime without giving ranma the magical potential to match his martial potential but i am not sure how to go about that without medea also being able to cure him of the curse :?

also as far as ranma refusing to use magecraft or it backfiring... well i can support that for the most part. aside from a certain spell that he would likely EXCELL at due to already being INTIMATLEY familar with something very similar and that is reinforcement. though the use of reinforcment would actually come at a cost. really the cost applies to all magecraft ranma tries to perform, and that is the soul of ice techniques. magecraft causes the body to emit increased heat, which would be counter productive to the soul of ice for obvious reasons. though it would also make the hiryu shoten ha devestating against magi and servants alike in that it would likely drain them to nonexistance with masterless servants atleast. and drain a magi to the point of uselessness and likely kill them with the landing in most cases
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pata Hikari » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Ranma 1/2 and the Nasuverse can't really crossover without it not making sense.

Magic and the supernatural in the Ranma 1/2 univrse is known. It's a fairly common thing people see, you can buy magic items in stores for cheap and get them by mail. Nobody is particualrly shocked when they learn about Ranma's curse beyond it being an oddity.

On the other hand, the Nasuverse magic is secret. There's a Masqurade going on, because the magic wielders of the world need to keep it secret.

Second... ouch. The summary hurts my brain. How has Ranma heard about Kirei? He's not the type to brag about his accomplishments because he doesn't care about them. He wouldn't enter any martial arts tournaments because he doesn't give a crap about them (plus calling attention to himself isn't exactly something that's a good idea for residents of the Moonlit World anyways). Before entering the Holy Grail War Kirei was basically Catholic Black Ops Vampire Hunter. Such a thing would be, you know, very secret and not something that Ranma would know or hear about. Second, why would Gilgamesh care about some random punk picking a fight with him?

Agggg it hurts my mind.

Also it's the same dumb old bad and tired "Remove Ranma from the rest of the Ranma 1/2 cast and make him an OC in another series" quote "Crossover" that is tedious and tiring. If you're going to write crossover, involve at least the central cast.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Huh...

I would note the situation need not be that bad at all... Ranma has been successfully crossed with other series that are more secretive and it generally works... consider Ranma and X-Men crossovers... Maho Sensei Negima crossovers as well... I've also seen it as an issue in high School DXD crossovers. Technically, in Sailor Moon supernatural is supposed to be secret, otherwise every episodes would be full of cops, but it does not stop anyone. Just to name a few off top of head

One approach is to simply have Nerima be considered one of those regions that allow it to occur, or alternatively, have whomever was monitoring it not be accurately reporting things, perhaps due to corruption, perhaps unknown reasons.

All that being said... there is the fact the only Type Moon universe crossovers I've seen Ranma in so far to date were either short, or deliberately meant to be over the top slapstick comedy, or just badly written.

Still like the one concept of the one where the city council hired him to put a stop to the people behind the 'gas explosions'...

Oh, and as for Ranma being able to power caster... First, that was never an issue for the teacher, whom was a mudane person magic wise. Also, Ranma has majic in form of curse... while I doubt either ranma learnign magic or using the curse to directly charge Medea is possible, what if like in so many other stories he maintains his Jusenkyo connection, thus Ranma is linked to a massive ley line or node of magical power....
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 pm

The idea of being connected to Jusenkyo could actually work, and id imagine removing the curse would also remove that connection, so it would make sense that they wouldnt be able to do so. Though I am amused at Ranma only being able to allow that channel be open in female form or something, just to add a little bit of inconvenience/annoyance to Ranma. Or at least the connection to said ley line not being as strong.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pata Hikari » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:31 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:Huh...

I would note the situation need not be that bad at all... Ranma has been successfully crossed with other series that are more secretive and it generally works... consider Ranma and X-Men crossovers... Maho Sensei Negima crossovers as well... I've also seen it as an issue in high School DXD crossovers. Technically, in Sailor Moon supernatural is supposed to be secret, otherwise every episodes would be full of cops, but it does not stop anyone. Just to name a few off top of head.

Just because people get that facet of Ranma 1/2's setting wrong in other crossovers doesn't justify it. Heck, lots of people completely fail to get this aspect of canon right in non-crossover stories, seeing how many fanfics have some scene of a character going "Holy crap magic exists?!" after learning about Ranma's curse.

And really? X-men crossovers? You think putting Ranma in the Marvel Universe doesn't mesh with a setting that people know the supernatural exists? There are literal wizards in the Marvel Universe.

Negima doesn't gel for the same issues as FSN.

And Sailor Moon doesn't have cops involved for the same reason any super hero show might not.

Anyways, my more fundamental issue is that this is Yet Another Ranma Crossover that starts with "Ranma leaves Nerima"

Those are always so dull and out of character for him.

Also holy crap no on giving Ranma magical powers. We don't need more overpowered Ranma wanking, nor should he in any way be mistaken for a Servant. Any Servant should be able to destroy Ranma with one hand behind their backs and their eyes closed.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:54 am

Just because people get that facet of Ranma 1/2's setting wrong in other crossovers doesn't justify it.

I'm not certain you understand what I am getting at... there is nothing to say it cannot be both ways. I've seen Ranma have trouble with this conceptually in some crossovers, and failed attempts by characters like Xavier from X-Men and Tachamachi from Negima have difficulty getting Ranma to comprehend that they are trying to keep their supernatural stuff a secret.

Heck, lots of people completely fail to get this aspect of canon right in non-crossover stories, seeing how many fanfics have some scene of a character going "Holy crap magic exists?!" after learning about Ranma's curse.

I would note Ranma *canon* can be like that. Look at how Nerima took his curse...

And really? X-men crossovers? You think putting Ranma in the Marvel Universe doesn't mesh with a setting that people know the supernatural exists? There are literal wizards in the Marvel Universe.

It was merely an exmple, and a valid one... because it depends on the exact X-Men continuity used for the crossover. In some, Xavier and the others have indeed been trying to keep a low profile.

Also, Ranma has a very valid problem... Say he successfully hides everything, that is not going to solve the issue, because unless the author has no intent of bringing in oter Ranma characters, everything will come out when one of the *other* Ranma 1/2 characters show up...

Try getting Ryoga or Shampoo to stop blowing out walls, or Mousse to stop attacking say the odd lamppost or redhead... or a fight.... it is not all on Ranma to keep a secret like that.

And Sailor Moon doesn't have cops involved for the same reason any super hero show might not.

Thus... it is not overly realistic, nevertheless, it is true. This *is* anime after all, not reality. You don't think for example, that were the setting remotely realistic that there would not be huge numbers of police, and even PSIA and other government investigators, at say, just the school buss incidents?

Anyways, my more fundamental issue is that this is Yet Another Ranma Crossover that starts with "Ranma leaves Nerima"

That is not inherently wrong, it all depends how the other goes about it. Some can be quite good... a very large percentage are just plain bad.

Those are always so dull and out of character for him.

Not always, but it it is often the case

Also holy crap no on giving Ranma magical powers. We don't need more overpowered Ranma wanking, nor should he in any way be mistaken for a Servant. Any Servant should be able to destroy Ranma with one hand behind their backs and their eyes closed.

I would actually like to see the attempt at accessing it to do magic fail. That would be interesting, because it likely would drive Medea up a wall knowing she has something like thatat her fingertips and can't access it. Also... if she cannot access it, whom is to say she cannot at least stop it, thus ending the curse... the one does not mean the other must follow. Also, Caster has proven in canon she does not need power from her master.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:08 am

Frankly the biggest problem with every single Ranma Leaves Nerima fic is that it strips out a good part of what makes Ranma interesting is his interactions with the rest of the cast. His love/hate bickering with Akane, his fights with Ryoga, his attempts to dodge Shampoo, his straight man antics with Kuno. Without them he's much less fun and I have much less interest in reading him.

Plus, as someone who is fairly involved with the Type Moon fandom I am Sick. And. Tired. Of AU Holy Grail War fics anyway. Do something more interesting, if you're going to make a Ranma/FSN crossover make it post FSN, follow one of the routes, put it in the Hollow Ataraxia time period instead, do something different.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 am

Pata Hikari wrote:Frankly the biggest problem with every single Ranma Leaves Nerima fic is that it strips out a good part of what makes Ranma interesting is his interactions with the rest of the cast. His love/hate bickering with Akane, his fights with Ryoga, his attempts to dodge Shampoo, his straight man antics with Kuno. Without them he's much less fun and I have much less interest in reading him.

I guess it all comes down to perspective... See, one of the reasons I like crossovers, such as that proposed here, is to see the interaction of Ranma with those characters *instead* of the canon cast. So for me, a good crossover, even if with only Ranma in it, is appealing. There are some crossovers which should never be done, and tons with bad setups... but for those that are good, I'll generally give a shot.

Plus, as someone who is fairly involved with the Type Moon fandom I am Sick. And. Tired. Of AU Holy Grail War fics anyway. Do something more interesting, if you're going to make a Ranma/FSN crossover make it post FSN, follow one of the routes, put it in the Hollow Ataraxia time period instead, do something different.

Hmmm... now... in Type Moon universe, which I happen to somewhat like (specifically the fate variants and the Tsukihime variants), most of what I read is actually *not* straight Type Moon, meaning, sure, I read say Chaos Theory, and Path of the King, and From Fake Dreams and a few others that are not crossovers... but generally I read crossovers post Fate Stay Night... Mostly centering on Shiro crossing over with another series... like Campione, or Sekirei, or High School DXD, or Familiar of Zero, etc...

I do it for the variety...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:I guess it all comes down to perspective... See, one of the reasons I like crossovers, such as that proposed here, is to see the interaction of Ranma with those characters *instead* of the canon cast. So for me, a good crossover, even if with only Ranma in it, is appealing. There are some crossovers which should never be done, and tons with bad setups... but for those that are good, I'll generally give a shot..

There are millions of such crossovers though. The crossovers that dare actually keep Ranma actually as "Ranma" instead of making him into an OC for another are annoyingly rare compared to the latter.

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... now... in Type Moon universe, which I happen to somewhat like (specifically the fate variants and the Tsukihime variants), most of what I read is actually *not* straight Type Moon, meaning, sure, I read say Chaos Theory, and Path of the King, and From Fake Dreams and a few others that are not crossovers... but generally I read crossovers post Fate Stay Night... Mostly centering on Shiro crossing over with another series... like Campione, or Sekirei, or High School DXD, or Familiar of Zero, etc...

I do it for the variety...

Oh my gosh. Why?

Why on earth would you want to read any fanfiction for any of those garbage harem anime? Let alone OC named Shirou wanking (which is only marginally less bad than OC named Ranma wanking mostly due to Ranma 1/2 being older and as such so many more ways to wank) crossovers with them? Familiar of Zero is the only decent series you mentioned, and even then the most famous such crossover, Gabriel Blessing's story has tons of issues, is only OK and looking at his other work I'm pretty sure The Hill of Swords was only the entertaining half decent pulpy story it is by sheer accident.

Those are the only things I am more tired of than AU Holy Grail War fics. Because at least the former can be compently written and are merely overdone in the fandom. There is nothing redeeming about those sorts of series or writing crossovers with them.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:32 am

Magic and the supernatural in the Ranma 1/2 univrse is known. It's a fairly common thing people see, you can buy magic items in stores for cheap and get them by mail. Nobody is particualrly shocked when they learn about Ranma's curse beyond it being an oddity.

Just because people get that facet of Ranma 1/2's setting wrong in other crossovers doesn't justify it. Heck, lots of people completely fail to get this aspect of canon right in non-crossover stories, seeing how many fanfics have some scene of a character going "Holy crap magic exists?!" after learning about Ranma's curse.

The impression i get from the anime at least is definitely NOT anywhere near the above claim. If it was, Gosunkugi would be frickin dangerous for one thing. But as it is, he clearly has great difficulty in getting access to anything remotely reliable supernatural, and uses fake stuff more often than not, why ever would he do that if magic is a KNOWN thing?

The impression i keep getting from canon is that magic is known within SOME very limited circuits of people, a big fraction of which just happens to be part of the primary cast of the series.
Just because the people you would expect to know about something also DO, doesn't mean that they are the norm for all of society.

And from what i can see, it's not that people are used to MAGIC, it's that they're used to WEIRD CRAP, and considering what the extreme martial artists in the area are capable of, that's not surprising.
I can't even figure out where you get the idea that magic is known and common within the general populace from.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 pm

actually magical items DO still seem to be vastly available, they just happen to more often be widely low quality. Almost any time a Ranma 1/2 character interacts with magic, it's turns negatively in some form. The issue is we dont know how far the abnormality extends aside fromn the visits outside Nerima...which still have the cast finding the unusual or fantastical often enough. I would also point to The Mystery of the Marauding Octopus Pot The dojo was contracted for killing a monster, even if it was only happosai this is apparently something that happens within the Ranma 1/2 universe. It stands to reason there is at the least some level of acceptance of the supernatural within the world of Ranma 1/2.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:34 pm

There is magic in the Ranmaverse. That is indisputable. It's quite another matter how widespread the magic, and the knowledge thereof is. And a large percentage of aforesaid Ranmaverse magic is phylogenetically related to the dread Monkey's Paw.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Next

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes