Gundam Wing Rewrite

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Gundam Wing Rewrite

Postby LadyRelena » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:08 am

So Frozen Teardrop has finally ended and it was so bad that it's inspired me try and rewrite Gundam Wing from the ground up. However, I'm having some difficulty coming up with ideas on how to make cretin characters relevant to the overall plot and not just have them as tag along characters.

For example; I would love to make Middie Une (the girl from Trowa's Episode Zero chapter) and Sylvia Noventa important but I'm can't seem to come up with unique narratives to develop their characters. Here is what I have so far.
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
-Middie Une is still an Alliance spy to help pay for her sick father and brothers. She is Lady Une's nice from her fathers side and of course, Trowa's love interest.
-Sylvia Noventa helps Relena, in some capacity (and they are possibility good friends I don't know). She is also Quatre's love interest.

Along with those problems, I also wanted to have some gritty tactical ground battles that involve team work from the five pilots; in the vain of 08th MS Team. However, I'm not sure how I'm going to pull that off (or where in the story to even place such scenes) considering how so much of GW's plot revolves around their Gundams being OP.

Anyway, that's a ruff outline of what I've though up so far.
Ranma/Shampoo, Ranma/Kurumi, Ryoga/Anna, and Ukyo/Ryuu
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Re: Gundam Wing Rewrite

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:19 pm

First thing to note is that GW gundams are not OP, its that every other mobile suit in that universe is... well like pottery. The Mobile Suits were not really meant for Mobile Suit vs Mobile Suit combat. The Earth Forces used them for combat against rebels in the space colonies. Thus, quite honestly, they were not built for a fair Mobile Suit on Mobile Suit fight.

To be fair they DID start with that possibility in mind but the prototype despite being very good, was too expensive to build and its raw combat capabilities were beyond what most pilots could handle. Since their need was not that extreme the results were the OZ Mobile Suit series. The Gundams only really had good Armor and the internal mechanics to handle them as a base line. Look at most of them.

Sandrock: Had twin short handle scythes that could heat up so it could cut metal
Shenlong: Had a laser tail and retractable arms with flame throwers at the cost of no other weapons. Cool but in any real range fight its ability tanks, thus it always gets close.
Heavyarms: It just has a lot of missiles, it runs out very often in the series (said or not)
Deathsythe: Can "turn invisible" Most of its fights are at night and it is loaded with things like heat and radio deflection, some light distortion too. Lets be honest here this is with in modern tech's reach today I doubt it actually goes invisible completely, I only recall one time that it came close and that was its rebuild version.
Wing (Wing Gundam) It could change into a plane to gain higher speed in the air and it has a beam weapon.

Wing's weapon is the only OP thing out of the lot and it still fails to score its points later. It never really had a chance to face against other suits that had similar weapons Tallgeese and Tallgeese II.

The Buster had only three shots in its "OP Kill All mode and could be over whelmed by simply surrounding it. Even with inferior fire-power it was defeat-able that way.

its other Weapon is its cut everything beam sabre which it needs to literally toss away its gun as it can only hold one and the gun has no place to hold it when not in use (Technically I suppose the shield would work but the logistics of that bare no mention.

Wing is the closest thing to being OP and it got its rear end kicked in episode 1 by a normal suit, a normal OZ mass produced suit that was being phased out for being out dated.

---

That all said

a rewrite will depend entirely on where you really want to go. If you want certain characters to be more important then try scratching out the story with just them and forget the pilots as main characters and add THEM as the tag along.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby LadyRelena » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:39 pm

So, what I'm gleaning from your post is that the Gundams had their disadvantages but they weren't taken advantage of very often due to all the other MS being sub-par and their pilots having never been trained in real MS to MS battles. But wasn't the point of the Mercurius and Vayeate to close that power gap? Although, they didn't remain a threat for very long and the five main characters got new upgraded Gundams anyway.
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Deathsythe: Can "turn invisible" Most of its fights are at night and it is loaded with things like heat and radio deflection, some light distortion too. Lets be honest here this is with in modern tech's reach today I doubt it actually goes invisible completely, I only recall one time that it came close and that was its rebuild version.

Optical camouflage does not really exist in an operational way(despite some nifty videos thrown out on the web, those are not workable for real vehicles and usually work terribly poorly with vehicles while moving), however for IR there is the ADAPTIV system by BAE Sweden which can be purchased today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE
It´s the most advanced camouflage you can get today. It can have a CV-90 do the "Predator" trick(except in IR), to make it effectively pseudoinvisible(transparent), or it can make itself look like a car, a truck, a small house or any number of things.

SAABs "Barracuda" camouflage system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lsmkwm3ang
Includes a simpler variation of ADAPTIV, but also tries to manage to hide as much as possible in ALL spectras instead of just one part, so it´s much less effective in IR compared to ADAPTIV, but it´s overall probably the best you can find anywhere today.
Apparently there´s no videos showing it off seriously like with the ADAPTIV system, but imagine a more vague variant of that, but affecting any and all sensors, from radar via IR and optical and even UV and rare stuff like laserscanners.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:19 am

LadyRelena wrote:So, what I'm gleaning from your post is that the Gundams had their disadvantages but they weren't taken advantage of very often due to all the other MS being sub-par and their pilots having never been trained in real MS to MS battles. But wasn't the point of the Mercurius and Vayeate to close that power gap? Although, they didn't remain a threat for very long and the five main characters got new upgraded Gundams anyway.

Very true, but remember just who built those units AND they were actually designed to HAVE faults. Hence they were designed to ultimately fail and in fact despite being programmed with the Mobile Doll system based on Heero and Trowa they were both taken out by Duo who said, "They are pretty good copies, but they are still just dolls to me!"

The weapon of the Vayeate was almost as powerful as the Wing Gundam (NOT The Wing Zero which was stronger) however it did have more shots as it was tied directly into the power system of the suit (Hence the huge wire). The upgraded Deathscythe had wing armor that was easily able to block such shots.

The main limit to the Mobile Doll vs the Deathscythe here is that Duo can block/jam and even toggle the systems that hide it from their sensors. As such instead of relying on what they know should be the target he can make a move then turn on his jamming and change course to attack before turning it back on. The Dolls have a hard time adapting to this (This was not said in show but in specs from a model from Bandai so take it as you will).

The Wing Zero could just over power such suits, This was when he got the Altron Gundam (The actual one with the tail gun, my bad above).

If you decide to do a rewrite then decide what you want to change and how far back. Okay for people who do not want a text dump or a spoiler of ANYTHING its hidden, this is your warning.

SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Remember Wufei only got the stick up his rear after his wife died defending the colony with her Gundam Shenlong, yes the same one he came to use. He became angry at his clan who ran the colony for their decision to follow with the original operation Meteor. (Before that he could give Quatre lessons on passive-ism)

Quatre's 29 older sisters (which I am sure you should know about) and his younger sister (if you do not know about her I shame you for your claim about reading teardrop) He is also the toughest of all the pilots, he can take the most physical damage, endure more G forces, and survive longer in low oxygen environments and with little to no food/water for longer then the others would classify as reasonable. It was neither stated not strongly implied however there are similarities between some of his statements and actions that lend to him being a new type, but the lack of a new-type flash in the anime and him getting startled more then he should if he was a new-type brings that into question. He still seems empathic though.

Trowa's past in meeting Middle Une causes a dispute between Episode Zero and Frozen Teardrop as in Zero she is NOT related and in Frozen she is. so this could mess with your rewrite.

Heero Yuy's biological father (Odin Lowe) assassinated the original Heero Yuy, at 12 he almost killed Noin and/or Treize Noin got lucky as Treize took the shot in a mobile suit. This was during his father's attempt at trying to kill General Septum to rectify his mistake. If you recall in flashbacks in the series Dr. J was ordered to retrain Heero to not have emotions but he betrayed that and taught him to not SHOW emotions. He decided to rename Odin Lowe Jr. to Heero Yuy (yes that is his official birth name or so we are lead to understand) a year before Heero was sent on his mission and was 'given' his new name. His father and Dr. J both told him that he should live by his emotions as it only takes one "stupid/foolish" (his father's version) person to change the world.

I am not sure if you knew all that or not, thus I thought I would toss it out there.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby LadyRelena » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Thank you so much for all the technical help on each specific gundam. I think I might have the Mercurius and Vayeate come into the plot a lot sooner then in the show among other small differences. I'll still keep them as Mobil dolls I think but they'll at least give the G pilots a run for their money until they get their new suits.

WG_Writer wrote:If you decide to do a rewrite then decide what you want to change and how far back.

I think I'm going to rewrite Heero's backstory. The original Odin Low from Episode Zero is clearly Caucasian and Heero is supposed to be of purely Japanese decent. It's probably why they had to retcon his character design for FT. Also, I plan on Heero's mother to be important to the plot.
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
She wont be related to the freaking Clarks and Aoi is a stupid name.

WG_Writer wrote:
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Remember Wufei only got the stick up his rear after his wife died defending the colony with her Gundam Shenlong, yes the same one he came to use. He became angry at his clan who ran the colony for their decision to follow with the original operation Meteor. (Before that he could give Quatre lessons on passive-ism)

Quatre's 29 older sisters (which I am sure you should know about) and his younger sister (if you do not know about her I shame you for your claim about reading teardrop) He is also the toughest of all the pilots, he can take the most physical damage, endure more G forces, and survive longer in low oxygen environments and with little to no food/water for longer then the others would classify as reasonable. It was neither stated not strongly implied however there are similarities between some of his statements and actions that lend to him being a new type, but the lack of a new-type flash in the anime and him getting startled more then he should if he was a new-type brings that into question. He still seems empathic though.

Trowa's past in meeting Middle Une causes a dispute between Episode Zero and Frozen Teardrop as in Zero she is NOT related and in Frozen she is. so this could mess with your rewrite.

Heero Yuy's biological father (Odin Lowe) assassinated the original Heero Yuy, at 12 he almost killed Noin and/or Treize Noin got lucky as Treize took the shot in a mobile suit. This was during his father's attempt at trying to kill General Septum to rectify his mistake. If you recall in flashbacks in the series Dr. J was ordered to retrain Heero to not have emotions but he betrayed that and taught him to not SHOW emotions. He decided to rename Odin Lowe Jr. to Heero Yuy (yes that is his official birth name or so we are lead to understand) a year before Heero was sent on his mission and was 'given' his new name. His father and Dr. J both told him that he should live by his emotions as it only takes one "stupid/foolish" (his father's version) person to change the world.

I am not sure if you knew all that or not, thus I thought I would toss it out there.

Yeah, I read all the manga and I'm currently reading the new EW manga, which is really hit or miss. I've read the FT translations off and on because it's such a pile of garbage
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Clones Clones EVERYWHERE!
but I don't remember anything about Middie Une. That being said, I always thought she was supposed to be related to Lady Une way before FT came out. It was always too convenient that she just happened to have the same last name is Lady Une.
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:42 am

Just try not to do a Gundam Seed style back story
SPOILER - Show Spoiler
To make the Ultimate co-ordinator (Kira) the Hibiki family (Husband and wife team) took an investment from Mu la Flaga's father in exchange of making a co-ordinator clone (Rau Ru Kurūze, Rey Za Burrel and Prayer Reverie) all clones were badly defective with a short life span as a result of cloning. When the lab was attacked and the Hibiki's were killed Cagalli and Kira were grabbed by the Yamato family and ran to the La Flaga estate. There they were given temporary sanctuary before It was attacked in turn.

Fleeing to Orb. Blue Cosmos turned the colony (Mendel) over trying to find the twins. (The colony was abandoned due to viral outbreak shortly after... so that raises questions)

The head of Orb ended up adopting Cagalli and Kira went with the Yamotos with the understanding that the childern will never meet.

The Yamatos moved to the Moon Colony where Kira meet Athran.

Kira moved to the other colony to attend school where he eventually started working on a "frame set module" which was a new version of Mobile Suit. This was used to make (but was never implemented) the Astray units (ultimately Kira and team were trying to make a Natural usable OS). This is seen where The group is in a room with Kira at a terminal and the others are watching one of them use what looks like a mock up of stripped down power armor. Which had their specs(The OS data) stolen by the New Gundam units. Which Cagalli's adopted Uncle Was building on the behest of Earth

(See a pattern here)

Cagalli arrived at the Colony to find out the truth and saw the units and thought the worst. (These new suits were being designed for Blue Cosmos. Hence they had the data to make their own series [the pilots were referred in fandom as the druggies]))

ZAFT attacked when and Kira met Athrun again, Athrun only stopped in his attempt to kill Murrue Ramius because of seeing Kira.

Given that Kira technically programmed the original OS to the Gundam he already knew how to fix the slip shot attempt to make it a natural operable one. (remember the other suits had the same problem and the other pilots that hijacked their suits had to fix theirs too, even with already given information on how to and possible data to directly apply.

The Astray units obviously came from The Astray Gundams (well the red one to be more precise). Hence KIra again was the one best able to make a Natural OS as he was the one developing it to start with.

Net result is that if Kira was never born/created odds are good that ZAFT would have won the war instead of nobody.

Kira has four things going for him:
He has SEED (This is blantly obvious)
He has New Type abilities (Not stated but all traits are shown)
He is the Ultimate Co-ordinator.
And he is one of the only known fertile Co-ordinators. (Lacus and Athrun are the only other two I know of)

[This is important because its the entire reason Athrun and Lacus were engaged via arranged marriage, and why there is even such a system. Kira is a generation one Co-ordinator and its only gen 3 that the breakdown starts and part of creating the Ultimate was to remove ALL flaws, thus its possible that his children may retain fertility and keep it going.]

Kira is to blame.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby LadyRelena » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:10 am

So since this thread is up I have a few questions about GW.

If Dakem hated Oz for killing the original Heero Yuy then why was he ok that one of their top officers knocked up his only daughter in Heero's episode Zero story.

Also, Traze went to great lengths to kill every single pacifist on earth, but why? No one had been listening to them for years. I highly doubt they were much of a threat to his takeover. And why did he end up supporting Relena's cause later on in the show? I understand he didn't kill her because of Zech but why help Heero save her later on?
LadyRelena
Senshi Cadet

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes