Possible Ranma/Legend of Korra crossover

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Possible Ranma/Legend of Korra crossover

Postby Vahn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:25 am

So I decided to hit up the Avatar series and while I liked Avatar itself, I do like the aesthetic and world of Legend of Korra more. I had planned on writing a Ranma/Korra pairing with Ranma literally running across Korra early in her training and trouncing her while she was still young and hot headed.

But then I found out Korra's gay. So that kind of floored me and I am not sure if I can still do it. Granted I did Michiru and Ranma but that was different given the world and mesh. Korra at start was around 17 so she pretty much set sexually. She's also strong and if I make her fall for Ranma girl half and make Ranma girl half the main interest, it just seem shallow.

I dunno why, it just does.

However if I did write a Ranma/Korra romance with Ranma male being the love intrest and the female being a perk. I have a feeling I might get flame for trying to "convert lesbian" I had a review for Seahorse stating as much and several PM's. When I first wrote Seahorse people love the idea. WHen I updated it recently, I got review and PM that said I was setting a dangerous precedent...

So... what say you guys, let's flip a coin. Ranma-male with female side perk/ Korra Romance, yee or nay?!
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Possible Ranma/Legend of Korra crossover

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:45 am

Is the romantic relationship really necessary? That's what I'd ask, first. Can the plot do without these two characters reaching a point where they press their salivating orifices together? Could they develop another kind of relationship that's equally as good/interesting, if not better, or even more relevant to the theme of the story? I mean, is Korra's sexuality itself even relevant at all? Could you just as easily not even mention it?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:34 am

Throw a serious curve and have Korra stuck somehow with an opposite curse to Ranma? :mrgreen:

Korra might be bi without knowing it yet? Or pan/poly?

However if I did write a Ranma/Korra romance with Ranma male being the love intrest and the female being a perk.

Or you could do it the opposite way around. Maybe the easiest solution? At least if you can handle the writing of Ranma being seen as female regardless of his own thoughts on the matter.

I have a feeling I might get flame for trying to "convert lesbian"

Probably(it´s a very sore subject for many), so first question, how important is it really to have her "converted"?
And if it is, can you give a good enough AN explaining it so you avoid most potential flames?
SHOULD you care enough about flames to NOT write it? (there´s always someone who doesn´t like what you write, no matter what it is)
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:51 am

Spica75 wrote:Throw a serious curve and have Korra stuck somehow with an opposite curse to Ranma? :mrgreen:

Korra might be bi without knowing it yet? Or pan/poly?

Korra is shown more to be bi than strictly a lesbian throughout the series.

But I think if Vahn has to ask for opinions on him forcing her into a relationship with Ranma (and the troubling need to have a man/woman dynamic) then he isn't going to be able to write a halfway decent romance for it that isn't just an author fiat fated couple. And the rest of the story is just pointless padding to get the two into bed.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:34 pm

@ Crescent.

Yep romance is really necessary, for me if it doesn't have romance at least in a cross over , it's a bust, that's my preference and that kind of what I like :D I was thinking if not Korra than Asami but then again, the lesbian trap.

@ Spica

That's actually pretty interesting if I gave Korra a male curse to go opposite of Ranma who would then be attracted to Ranma girl form. Where Korra was manish- enough to pass as a guy to begin with. Ranma might call her tomboy. Not sure about doing it the opposite way.

So many SJW nowadays, I'm not afraid of the flames per say but more like, are people going to appreciate the story for itself or just see "How dare you subvert a lesbian character! SJW RAGEEEEE!!!!!" For me if I put time and effort into a story, I would like for people to discuss said story and enjoy it and not be hung up on one creative decision. But I have done that before, the trap here lies in the fact that SJW are more vocal and just downers all around.

@ Law

I am surprise you don't have a couple in mind before you write a story, I usually have an outline and a couple in mind so that it can act as a marker and keep track on where I need to go. I find writing without a gameplan ahead of time just cause that fic to trail off and get abandon. Several of my works could attest to that writing style. As for the troubling need to have a man/woman dynamic, that's my preference. I don't harp on the troubling need of other writers to make yaoi and yuri out of straight characters. It just so happen if I touch a gay character with it, I get triple backlash. It's... Odd.

I still kind of want to do it as the idea is growing and any writer on this bored can attest that once an idea get a hold of you, it won't let you go and will constantly bug you.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:27 pm

@ Spica

That's actually pretty interesting if I gave Korra a male curse to go opposite of Ranma who would then be attracted to Ranma girl form. Where Korra was manish- enough to pass as a guy to begin with. Ranma might call her tomboy. Not sure about doing it the opposite way.

Having the same curse doesn't make them in anyway compatible and screams that you just did it to get them together rather than a consequence of the actual story.

So many SJW nowadays, I'm not afraid of the flames per say but more like, are people going to appreciate the story for itself or just see "How dare you subvert a lesbian character! SJW RAGEEEEE!!!!!" For me if I put time and effort into a story, I would like for people to discuss said story and enjoy it and not be hung up on one creative decision. But I have done that before, the trap here lies in the fact that SJW are more vocal and just downers all around.

Write what you want, that doesn't mean people can't be offended or dislike it. Statements like this and the one in response to me are a perfect example of you not understanding the differences in relationship dynamics. Or why taking a minority character and needing to fix them into something else is so insulting. And yes it is annoying when done to a straight character but there aren't real world examples of straight people being forced to go to conversion camps.

@ Law

I am surprise you don't have a couple in mind before you write a story, I usually have an outline and a couple in mind so that it can act as a marker and keep track on where I need to go. I find writing without a gameplan ahead of time just cause that fic to trail off and get abandon. Several of my works could attest to that writing style. As for the troubling need to have a man/woman dynamic, that's my preference. I don't harp on the troubling need of other writers to make yaoi and yuri out of straight characters. It just so happen if I touch a gay character with it, I get triple backlash. It's... Odd.

I still kind of want to do it as the idea is growing and any writer on this bored can attest that once an idea get a hold of you, it won't let you go and will constantly bug you.

I view a story as far greater than just a pairing, so I usually don't have something in mind or at least not something that is set in stone.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:39 pm

I don't harp on the troubling need of other writers to make yaoi and yuri out of straight characters. It just so happen if I touch a gay character with it, I get triple backlash. It's... Odd.

It´s a minority thing(or whatever to call it), because it´s so common to not have les/gay characters that the story turn out ok for, not to mention in big media, les/gay characters are simply unusual overall, it becomes very noticeable and stands out.

I don´t harp about either, as long as the author writes it well, which of course most of them do not.

Yes. :D

I am surprise you don't have a couple in mind before you write a story, I usually have an outline and a couple in mind so that it can act as a marker and keep track on where I need to go.

Well, i usually have a story or event in mind when writing a story, usually any couples gets figured out when i start looking at what direction the story goes. Less than 1 in 10 of the stories i´m writing started with a couple. Actually it´s probably a lot less than that.

Still, like i said, having Korra´s interest first of all be in female Ranma, with male Ranma becoming a bonus, is probably the easiest way to do it. Especially if what LawOhki writes about her being more bi than anything else is correct. At that point it probably even makes decent sense.

And it might be hard to come up with a good reason for a curse for her(or maybe not, it depends on how Ranma ends up there).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Spica75 wrote:Still, like i said, having Korra´s interest first of all be in female Ranma, with male Ranma becoming a bonus, is probably the easiest way to do it. Especially if what LawOhki writes about her being more bi than anything else is correct. At that point it probably even makes decent sense.

Actually that would almost be even worse than shoving a curse on her. Turning her sexuality into just a punchline for how Ranma let's her play both sides while safely reinforcing straight tropes.

(And I suggest she's bi due to how she had several relationships throughout the series with a man and finally ending up with a woman.)
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:04 pm

@ Law
Write what you want, that doesn't mean people can't be offended or dislike it. Statements like this and the one in response to me are a perfect example of you not understanding the differences in relationship dynamics. Or why taking a minority character and needing to fix them into something else is so insulting. And yes it is annoying when done to a straight character but there aren't real world examples of straight people being forced to go to conversion camps.

But all fanfic take character and fix them into something else, to me it's not a big deal. There Ranma-chan fic, Ranko fic, Yaoi, Yuri, the world is their oyster. I never view it as a insult. So I think people have gotten more sensitive now a days.

It interesting how we go about writing differently. You have a story to tell and then try to write it. I actually have a pairing i want to see and write a story to make it happen.

@ Spica

So you have event as a marker for your story outline? For me events are the hurldles for the pairing i have in mind to overcome. As for this:

Still, like i said, having Korra´s interest first of all be in female Ranma, with male Ranma becoming a bonus, is probably the easiest way to do it. Especially if what LawOhki writes about her being more bi than anything else is correct. At that point it probably even makes decent sense.

And it might be hard to come up with a good reason for a curse for her(or maybe not, it depends on how Ranma ends up there).

Maybe I can reuse my fake Uzu plotline and have Ranma be stuck for a bit as female before "surprise!" with the whole existential question. "Wait you like me when I was a girl and we get along well but now that I am a guy and identified as a guy, you no longer care for me?"

@ Law again

Why can''t Korra sexuality be a punchline if Ranma's own sexuality is a punchline all the time :D I think a cross over should allow for that with the Avatar serious overall atmosphere be the theme.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Vahn wrote:@ Crescent.

Yep romance is really necessary, for me if it doesn't have romance at least in a cross over , it's a bust, that's my preference and that kind of what I like :D I was thinking if not Korra than Asami but then again, the lesbian trap.

Well, that just means that you fall into a bias trap. In many ways that can be worse, because -- since the source is yourself -- it can come up in any story you write.

For me, romance is something that's organic rather than contrived. I (with one or two exceptions) don't plan for it, unless it ties into the plot and needs to happen for the story to move forward and still make sense. I just let the characters interact, try to see how the characters' relationship develops through them and their circumstances, and what will be will be. I don't get hung up on gender and sexuality issues. Overall, romance in and of itself is just about the tritest thing out there, because just about everyone seems to feel it's necessary to include it in some form or degree or another, so I'd much rather focus on the aspects of a story that can truly make it stick out.

Vahn wrote:But all fanfic take character and fix them into something else, to me it's not a big deal. There Ranma-chan fic, Ranko fic, Yaoi, Yuri, the world is their oyster. I never view it as a insult. So I think people have gotten more sensitive now a days.

...That's terrible reasoning. You're basically saying, since so many people do a poor job of portraying characters as they are, or don't even care to, that it's perfectly alright to twist them into whatever is convenient for you. I'm not going to say that you can't do that, or that plenty of people won't like that, but without proper development and forethought it's essentially just a fan work of the superficial kind and doesn't say much about the author's skill as a writer. Of course, if you don't care how good of a writer you are, especially if most of your audience doesn't care, then I suppose it's not really an issue.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:46 pm

...That's terrible reasoning. You're basically saying, since so many people do a poor job of portraying characters as they are, or don't even care to, that it's perfectly alright to twist them into whatever is convenient for you. I'm not going to say that you can't do that, or that plenty of people won't like that, but without proper development and forethought it's essentially just a fan work of the superficial kind and doesn't say much about the author's skill as a writer. Of course, if you don't care how good of a writer you are, especially if most of your audience doesn't care, then I suppose it's not really an issue.

Actually, what I meant by that is as a author who writes, I can't stand in judgement of what other authors writes. I can dislike IT or love it and critique it, but it is not my call to make if they are doing a poor job or portraying characters in their fic or not. Now can I have an opinion on a fan work? Sure, but for stuff that are usually so skewed, I usually view it as AU and not read it. It's just not my cup of tea. So if an author like to write superficial work? More power to them, we seen superficial works get publish all the time. If someone wrote something profound and meaningful, I'll review it. But I can't stand here and go "THIS is the correct way to write these character" since from the start. The only people that could ever get the character right are the original authors of said work themselves.

That's just how I feel. As fanfic writers, We usually try to get ac lose as possible tot he source material and attitude, but being a crossover genre you gotta bend some rules and explain away some stuff that might not have geld.

Is my reasoning terrible? I dunno. I just try to respect all author works both good and bad. Who knows maybe one day a baddie might turn good.

AS for Bias. Oh I am very bias as far as reading fanfic goes. It has to grab my attention or else I'll not read it. Some of the critically acclaimed works bore me while other funny works that people said were weird I enjoyed. I guess I just enjoy something different.

That's why I like Snape/Lily as far as HP fanfic goes. That's why i like Naruto/Ino as far as pairing in that world goes. Ranma I always read crossovers because it always inject new blood in an old series after reading all of the older stuff. But then bais or selective, no idea.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:51 pm

I agree, but only to an extent. Subjectivity aside, it's very possible to objectively discern where a character strays too far from their normal behavior, even if "too far" can still depend since it would be difficult to organize a system for criteria. For the things that aren't ambiguous, though, it shouldn't be a problem. A character's gender identity and/or sexuality I find to be one of the most unambiguous aspects of a character, so getting it right shouldn't be hard unless you intended to screw around with it (pun intended) to begin with.

As an example, Ranma's gender identity and sexuality isn't ambiguous. The canon gives us no explicit maybes about him being interested in guys in any form, or being welcome to receiving intimate attention as a girl even if it's with another girl. When it comes to romance, he's shy, gets uncomfortable, and he lacks tact. The first two traits go away when he's not serious, but then his flirting is so bad -- even despite wanting to be successful -- that only an idiot would fall for his "charms." And, of course, he identifies himself as male, although people end up wondering about that since he's the type who often thinks that the end justifies the means, so he can be rather shameless and short-sighted regardless of what form he's in.

Sure, it's still not perfectly clean-cut, since the series was never meant to seriously delve into those areas of Ranma's psyche, but it's far from being a diamond in the rough; it's just not an elaborately-cut diamond.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I agree, but only to an extent. Subjectivity aside, it's very possible to objectively discern where a character strays too far from their normal behavior, even if "too far" can still depend since it would be difficult to organize a system for criteria. For the things that aren't ambiguous, though, it shouldn't be a problem. A character's gender identity and/or sexuality I find to be one of the most unambiguous aspects of a character, so getting it right shouldn't be hard unless you intended to screw around with it (pun intended) to begin with.

As an example, Ranma's gender identity and sexuality isn't ambiguous. The canon gives us no explicit maybes about him being interested in guys in any form, or being welcome to receiving intimate attention as a girl even if it's with another girl. When it comes to romance, he's shy, gets uncomfortable, and he lacks tact. The first two traits go away when he's not serious, but then his flirting is so bad -- even despite wanting to be successful -- that only an idiot would fall for his "charms." And, of course, he identifies himself as male, although people end up wondering about that since he's the type who often thinks that the end justifies the means, so he can be rather shameless and short-sighted regardless of what form he's in.

Sure, it's still not perfectly clean-cut, since the series was never meant to seriously delve into those areas of Ranma's psyche, but it's far from being a diamond in the rough; it's just not an elaborately-cut diamond.

I always read more into that manga chapter of Ranma and the dude with the Hotspring more than I should. I dunno why.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Wish-fulfillment? :P

Are you referring to the story with the island that looks like a rebel alliance symbol? If so, yeah, I can see how someone can read more into it than they should. (Which may also depend on the source of the translation; mine's Viz.) Thing is, Ranma can be a rather helpful fellow, even if there's no guilt or debt involved and the one he's helping is troublesome (the astral-projecting old man, for one, and the boy who wouldn't take his medicine, for another). In this case, he's both guilty from eating the guy's food in the past and ends up feeling indebted because the guy was willing to protect him from harm with his own body. He was even thoughtful enough to try and repay the debt without revealing his curse, for the guy's sake, because he had intended to leave the guy with the memory that he treasured before he made his departure. Of course, it was probably best for Ranma that he found out the truth, or else he might have continued to pursue him later.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:51 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Wish-fulfillment? :P

Are you referring to the story with the island that looks like a rebel alliance symbol? If so, yeah, I can see how someone can read more into it than they should. (Which may also depend on the source of the translation; mine's Viz.) Thing is, Ranma can be a rather helpful fellow, even if there's no guilt or debt involved and the one he's helping is troublesome (the astral-projecting old man, for one, and the boy who wouldn't take his medicine, for another). In this case, he's both guilty from eating the guy's food in the past and ends up feeling indebted because the guy was willing to protect him from harm with his own body. He was even thoughtful enough to try and repay the debt without revealing his curse, for the guy's sake, because he had intended to leave the guy with the memory that he treasured before he made his departure. Of course, it was probably best for Ranma that he found out the truth, or else he might have continued to pursue him later.

Yep that's the story, it's like a more sane version of Kuno.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes