Skirting is the issue.

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Skirting is the issue.

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:09 am

Okay this scene has irritated me for so long I have officially given up. I tried to think of a way to work it into an active fic of mine or maybe make a one shot of it but I have failed everytime. So I am posting it here and if someone wants to use it, great, otherwise I can get the stupid line out of my head.

===

"Look why don't you take it? It is yours by right." Sailor Moon was frowning at the red head. Ranma had joined several fights but despite being a Sailor Senshi, she or was that he, refused the pen everytime. Even when getting energy drained.

Ranma raised an eyebrow, this was an arguement they had several times before, "That is part of the problem. There is no way I can be caught in that outfit. My mother would kill me."

"Its not like we all haven't had that thought," Mercury replied misunderstanding the meaning, "Besides you are skirting the issue."

Ranma was tired of this arguement and retorted, "No, skirting is the issue."

===

horrible pun yes, stuck in my head any more, no.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Re: Skirting is the issue.

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:12 am

So... the basic assumption is they see her each time as a girl, and no knowledge of the curse and the true form.

I fail to see the problem. Except that to keep the gag going, Ranma would need to disappear or take off fast after each time asked.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:26 am

Mph. If she took the henshin rod, her mother wouldn't recognize her, even if she tried.

Besides, if you want a horrible senshi pun, I have done better. Or maybe worse.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:53 pm

No the idea is the knew the truth about the curse but the pun is strictly that he doesn't want to wear that outfit and that they think he is skirting the issue of him not giving the real reasons for not joining, (the entire contract with his mother is something they do not know about.) Thus they think he is 'skirting the issue,' skirting is a word used to imply that he is "avoiding". but with the contract over his head he is avoiding wearing a skirt, as in the garment, at all. Thus they see him "skirting the issue" or avoiding the explaination" and he sees "skirting as the issue." or rather being dressed in a skirt as the problem.

I do feel I need to explain the meanings here because skirting something with the meaning of evasion or avoiding is not a common usage of the word if you are not a native english speaker.

besides the lines stuck in my head were actually just the last two.
Last edited by WG_Writer on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:59 pm

WG_Writer wrote:No the idea is the knew the truth about the curse but the pun is strictly that he doesn't want to wear that outfit and that they think he is skirting the issue of him not giving the real reasons for not joining, (the entire contract with his mother is something they do not know about.) Thus they think he is 'skirting the issue,' skirting is a word used to imply that he is "avoiding". but with the contract over his head he is avoiding wearing a skirt, as in the garment, at all. Thus they see him "skirting the issue" or avoiding the explaination" and he sees "skirting as the issue." or rather being dressed in a skirt as the problem.

I do feel I need to explain the meanings here because skirting something with the meaning of evasion or avoiding is not a common usage of the word if you are not a native english speaker.

I got all that, and in fact assumed it already.... but I fail to see what the problem is exactly that you want help with. I reread it, and it still seems fine to me as it is...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Yeah. It seems like all you really need is a story to build up to that point.

Personally, though, I don't see the problem. Even after he's reunited with his mother, it doesn't stop him from wearing female clothing, including ones with skirts (such as when he tried to help run Ukyo's restaurant while said owner was sick). Even dressing up as his mother doesn't seem to be a problem. Ranma's a rather short-sighted individual, who is often blinded by the potential usefulness of something now, not thinking of the potential consequences that could happen later if he's not being too self-assured about his ability to avoid it in the first place.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:46 pm

It would have to be a one shot. I cannot see working this into anything big.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Yeah. It seems like all you really need is a story to build up to that point.

Personally, though, I don't see the problem. Even after he's reunited with his mother, it doesn't stop him from wearing female clothing, including ones with skirts (such as when he tried to help run Ukyo's restaurant while said owner was sick). Even dressing up as his mother doesn't seem to be a problem. Ranma's a rather short-sighted individual, who is often blinded by the potential usefulness of something now, not thinking of the potential consequences that could happen later if he's not being too self-assured about his ability to avoid it in the first place.

Blinks... I think it actually more a matter of fact Takahashi held back all the characters more than the characters had no forward thinking.

Besides... I see little reason why Ranma should trust them. No reason has been given for her to take anything from them, plus the fact it is magic at all.

If some strange girls I never met, whom hide behind magical disguise, wanted to give me magic to make me like them I would probably be wary as well... especially when by accounts it is implied it was not really needed to win those fights.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:36 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:Blinks... I think it actually more a matter of fact Takahashi held back all the characters more than the characters had no forward thinking.

If you write a story that isn't of a nature where the fourth wall will be broken, you have to rationalize the lack of foresight. I'd likely drop a story if an author writes a serious story yet accounts for the lack of the character's foresight as Takahashi's doing instead of taking the time to think of a self-contained reason for their behavior. (Especially if you're trying to emulate Ranma 1/2's style, since I don't believe that Takahashi ever broke the fourth wall in the series.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:If you write a story that isn't of a nature where the fourth wall will be broken, you have to rationalize the lack of foresight. I'd likely drop a story if an author writes a serious story yet accounts for the lack of the character's foresight as Takahashi's doing instead of taking the time to think of a self-contained reason for their behavior. (Especially if you're trying to emulate Ranma 1/2's style, since I don't believe that Takahashi ever broke the fourth wall in the series.)

That line of thinking leads to problems where you cannot justify some things by any other means.

For example, Sailor Moon herself in the anime was once taken aside by her friends in concern over her unlikeliness to get into a high school due to her bad grades and attitude, which boiled down to whom cares since she will be princess of the planet.... I'd like to think no one with that form of attitude would ever be put on the throne.

In at least one really neat but sadly not continued story, that attitude lost her that throne when she is exiled by Chibi usa....

Also, any attempt to justify the Dark Kingdoms actions fails on internal consistency when you know what they had previously accomplished vs their tactics now... attempt to correct for that and I am of the opinion we end up with dead senshi.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 am

You've misunderstood the overall message I was trying to convey, in part due to a mistake on my part: you don't have to justify anything; under certain circumstances it's understandable to simply not address something, especially if the source material itself overlooks it. That aside, I didn't say that the rationalization had to be perfect or believable. I just think it's worse to exclude the author's influence in this manner, as if without their input -- which makes the series and characters what they are -- the "true" nature of things is revealed, which they just so conveniently happen to know. That kind of "logic" is so disgustingly twisted.

All you really get is a fan-fic author with a delusional fantasy, who's a fan of not-Ranma 1/2, because Ranma 1/2 seems to have existed before Takahashi got her hands on it. :roll:

Anyway, we've gone off-topic enough, and I've said my piece, so...
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 am

WG_Writer wrote:No the idea is the knew the truth about the curse but the pun is strictly that he doesn't want to wear that outfit and that they think he is skirting the issue of him not giving the real reasons for not joining, (the entire contract with his mother is something they do not know about.) Thus they think he is 'skirting the issue,' skirting is a word used to imply that he is "avoiding". but with the contract over his head he is avoiding wearing a skirt, as in the garment, at all. Thus they see him "skirting the issue" or avoiding the explaination" and he sees "skirting as the issue." or rather being dressed in a skirt as the problem.

besides the lines stuck in my head were actually just the last two.

Huh, it´s not THAT rare an expression...

And it definitely IS a funny little play with the words.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Spica75 wrote:Huh, it´s not THAT rare an expression...

I have met people who never heard of that turn of phrase before. but that is neither here no there. I think we are all skirting the problem that we need to find a way to get this skirting problem into a fic.... :roll:
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:08 am

Hem, hem(line)…
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi