Night Shift 6

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Night Shift 6

Postby LawOhki » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:28 pm

I could be trying to write things

----

Sitting near the bottom of the steps leading up to the second floor, Sailor Pluto idly drummed her fingers slowly on shaft of the Time Key. Of course she had noticed that Ranma had vanished from their discussion on how to deal with a monster knowing his identity. This wasn’t the first time that one of them had been directly targeted by an enemy. With all they had been through, plans were now in place on how to handle the risk to their teammate once their identity became known.

She and Hotaru were already going to be moving nearby. Haruka and Michiru were likely planning to join them and with Chibi-Usa living with the Tendos, that put six Senshi in a very small area. It wasn’t a sure thing, but that should be an immensely good start in providing coverage against any monster attacks. The Guardian Senshi would have a more difficult time since they lived farther apart, so until this was cleared up they would be pairing up to watch each others back.

Out of the corner of her eye, Pluto noticed the youngest Tendo approaching her, and immediately sat up straighter upon seeing how apprehensive the girl was. Memories of her solitary vigil protecting the time gates always came back when interacting with non-Senshi. Her fingers tightened against the Garnet Rod for only an instant in preparation to eliminate the intruder before relaxing.

‘Old habits? I must be more stressed than I realized.’ She softly chuckled to herself and delicately laid the Garnet Rod on the steps.

“Excuse me-- Sailor Pluto-san.” Akane hesitantly started while wringing her hands nervously and clearly eyeing the staff at her side with trepidation. “But did Ranma come this way?”

“He should be down soon.” She scooted herself over to the side and patted the step. “Sit with me.”

Akane complied with her suggestion so quickly that the step gave off an audible creak. Sitting with her knees pressed tightly together and her hands clasped together on them, the girl practically bouncing with nervous energy.

“I’m sorry about your friend.” She said with genuine sadness for the loss. It reminded her far too much that their passive approach to dealing with the monsters indirectly leading to many others dying or being converted.

“Why? Ranma will find a cure like he always does and Ryoga will be fine. Then everything will go back to normal.” Akane spoke with complete certainty and with a curt nod of her head.

‘If she has to be in denial at least she’s expecting a miracle from one of the few people capable of making one happen.’ She smiled weakly in response to such a firm declaration. “I know Ranma would appreciate it immensely if you told him that you believed in him so much.”

“Him? He’d do it just to spite me because Ryoga has always been nicer to me than him.” The short haired girl grumbled before pausing. “How is it you know him so well?” Akane asked, her voice practically dripping with jealous suspicion.

“I’ve known no one longer.” She answered enigmatically, not feeling the least bit sorry if Akane felt slighted over who knew Ranma better.

“Puu! Stop it! You’re making me feel so old!” Ranma protested dramatically as he slid down the railing to land gracefully at the base of the steps. “Sailor Moon and Mars have known me for longer!”

She stared at her fellow Senshi in annoyance. “You’re so childish in this incarnation. Have you taken too many blows to the head?” She asked, her voice full of sarcasm.

“Well since you mentioned it, ever since I came to Nerima, I’ve had to deal with this angry tomboy who has the temper of a gorilla with rabies.”

“Ranma!” Akane screeched and immediately began to chase Ranma back into the home.

Setsuna smirked, watching as Ranma manipulated Akane into chasing him. ‘Guess his chat with Chibi-Usa didn’t go so well.’ She reasoned and slowly rose up from her sitting position to follow at a more leisurely pace.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Re: Night Shift 6

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Akane reminds me a bit of Sakura who never stopped believing in her dear Sasuke.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Still is in character for her in my opinion. Akane never lost anyone since her mother and the thought of it happening again is causing her to deny it, especially since in her mind Ranma and Ryoga fight all the time. Though despite it all she never did stop believing in Ranma in the Manga even if she did deny it.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

True. She seems to have a much higher opinion of Ryoga than of Ranma. I can't remember but does she at one point in the manga learn that Ryoga has a crush on her?

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:30 pm

If you're referring to what happened during the waterproof soap story, the only thing that seems to register in her head is that what Shampoo had made her do had given Ryoga the wrong idea, although she still seems to hold a high opinion of him afterward despite how he had reacted to some affection.

At the end of the koi rod story, Akane's under the impression that Ryoga had feelings for female Ranma, though.

Also: rabies may be pushing it a bit. I mean, it's a degenerative illness and usually fatal without proper intervention. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Also: rabies may be pushing it a bit. I mean, it's a degenerative illness and usually fatal without proper intervention. :P

Well clearly I never meant to imply Akane had to worry about anything fatal. :twisted:
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:37 pm

The Next Morning

Genma stood with his hands on his hips surveying the living room and picking up on the subdued atmosphere of his wife and Kasumi. Chibi-Usagi looked the least happy and was quietly crushing the kitten, Diana in her arms. Akane seemed to be in a better mood while Nabiki seemed quite composed and happy with herself. Soun was similarly confused by the tonal shift caused by whatever had happened while they were gone last night.

“Wife, have you seen the boy?” He asked, having noticed the distinct lack of his only child’s presence. As much fun as it was to be training his niece, he had to make sure Ranma wasn’t slacking off in his absence. Even though he did hope his son had been lazy so he could put him in his place without resorting to the Hell’s Cradle Technique.

Nodoka stopped reading a thick leather bound novel to quickly check the time before answering. “He’s-- out. Said that he had to-- do something last night. But that he would be back for breakfast.”

“Hmm-- breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” He nodded to himself and quickly took his usual position at the table to await his child. Of course if Ranma missed out then it would be an important lesson not to stay out all night. ‘I’m such a wise and caring teacher.’

“So what were you ladies up to last night?” Soun asked casually as he picked up his chopsticks. “Seems like you had some visitors over.” The mustached man added, both of them having noticed the extra plates, and glasses that had been left out when they had returned.

“It was a surprise get together we threw at the last minute.” Akane quickly supplied an answer.

“For what?” Soun asked his youngest daughter.

“No reason, just some of Ranma’s old girlfriends showing up.” Nabiki answered with a big toothy grin that was cut off by Akane giving her an elbow in the side.

“What she meant to say--.” Nodoka broke in. “Is that several of Ranma’s friends, who happen to be girls, were here for a little party.” She explained with authority.

Genma gave his wife a sideways glance while Soun seemed to accept her explanation. Prior to being asked to leave yesterday and enjoy themselves, he had picked up that something was happening with his son. Why were they all trying to hide this? And why did they think he wouldn’t find out what was going on?

“The boy knows girls who are just friends?” He asked as he sat down in his usual spot. “I didn’t think that was possible. He’s so manly after all!” He loudly laughed, hoping that his wife would agree.

“I’m sure there are plenty of things that you don’t know.” Nodoka cuttingly answered and he immediately shut up, realizing that she was still upset about his mistaken suggestion that she was unfaithful.

“Yes-- well-- this looks like a wonderful breakfast.” He hastily tried to change the subject. ‘Where is that cat who knew about a flower place? Nodoka always did like tulips. Such a generous and expensive gift should make her happy again.’

“Touch my food old man and you’ll find out where Happosai went.” Ranma’s voice warned as the tired and bedraggled girl trudged into the room with a giant yawn.

“Do you think so little of me, boy?” He hastily looked away from his child’s plate, more fearful of seeing the dread master once again than Ranma’s new power to make people vanish.

“Yes.” The cursed girl answered, dropping lifelessly into her place at the table. Still wearing the same clothing as yesterday, her button up shirt was completely open exposing the thin white tank top Ranma always wore.

“Ranma, button up your top.” Nodoka gently chided after a quick glance at Soun revealed his eyes riveted to Ranma’s thinly covered bust. The Tendo patriarch realized that he had been caught and hastily buried his face in a newspaper.

“Hmm?” Ranma looked down cluelessly.

“Do as your mother says, boy.” Genma quickly added with a dark look at his old training partner. Not needing a reminder of the time Soun had offered to be engaged to Ranma if he wasn’t able to undo the lock on his curse.

“Alright.” She shrugged and buttoned her shirt up halfway while giving him a dubious look.

“Father, should you really be staring like that?” Kasumi asked with a sweet condescending voice, causing Soun to laugh nervously, and raise his paper even higher.

Akane gave a disgusted snort before addressing Ranma, who had already begun to eat. “So did you figure out how to fix Ryoga, yet?” She asked expectantly.

“Wasn’t working on that.” Ranma paused her eating to answer.

“You were gone all night on some mission, what were you doing if not that?!” The youngest Tendo girl demanded, her chopsticks snapping in two.

The redhead set her chopsticks down and took a deep breath. “He’s dead, Akane. There’s nothing I can do to fix that.”

“Dead? Boy, what happened?” Genma broke in to ask.

“He was attacked by a monster-- it was an infection-- and he didn’t make it.” Ranma answered slowly while staring at her food.

“So what do you expect him to do?” Genma asked Akane in confusion.

Akane froze up at the unexpected question. “Uh-- I just thought-- he’s always coming up with stuff to fix things. Some kind of magic-- or something.”

“Hmm, is there going to be a funeral? You should probably attend, boy. He was a good sparring partner.” He instructed and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Yea, you’re right. I’ll go leave a note, his folks are never around so they won’t hear about it otherwise.” Ranma answered.

“You’d owe him that-- since you’re not going to do anything else.” Akane snapped and stood up suddenly to stomp out of the room, leaving everyone watching her go.

“Ranma, you should go talk to her.” Nodoka suggested, breaking the brief silence.

“Later, I have to get cleaned up for school.” Ranma answered irritably while trying to eat once again.

“It’s become so dangerous, you’ll be protecting my girls, right, son!?” Soun desperately launched himself over the table to paw Ranma’s shoulders.

“Ugh! Get offa me!” Ranma disgustedly shoved Soun to the side trying to dislodge the barnacle like man. “And you don’t have to ask me to protect anybody, that’s my job!” She emphasized her statement by knocking the Tendo patriarch on his rear. “Honestly, try being a man for once.” The girl scoffed as she straightened out her clothing.

“Ranma, please try not to insult your host so openly.” Nodoka gently chided while covering her mouth with a hand and looking down. “Soun, is surely manly enough to protect his family when he is around, and he’s merely hoping you’ll assist when he isn’t.”

“I think father would be able to protect us ablely.” Kasumi supplied supportively.

“Ranma, please never leave my side.” Nabiki pleaded hopefully but with a hint of snark.

“My daughters.” Soun whined with mixed tears of happiness at Kasumi’s support and sadness for Nabiki’s dismissal.

“This is going to be such a long day.” Ranma groaned and slammed her forehead into the table.

“Cheer up, boy! You still have to go make Akane feel better.” Genma clapped his child on the back and laughed.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Ranma edged himself a half foot to his right to gain a small measure of distance from Nabiki as he walked to school. A fair distance in front of them, Akane stormed ahead still upset over his earlier response and completely oblivious to his own feelings on the matter. It wasn’t like she had missed the signs that something was wrong and allowed a weakened Ryoga to wander off alone to die. Why did she insist on throwing that in his face?

“So-- Theia-chan.” Nabiki drawled in a clearly amused tone. “Do you mind answering a couple questions?”

“Like?” He answered tiredly, more interested in catching up on sleep than attending Furinkan than anything else. “And don’t call me that.”

“Of course. So how long have you been doing the magical girl thing? I had absolutely no idea you could keep such a secret.” Nabiki continued on, legitimately sounding impressed.

“Just a week or so before someone took a picture of me to shove in the newspapers.” He answered with a shrug.

“Kasumi was helping you out the whole time, wasn’t she?”

He just nodded in response.

“Makes sense--. Next, what’s up with the whole planet theme you have going on? Who decided on that? Why? Merchandising?”

Ranma waited until they had passed by a small group of elderly men talking next to a gate before he answered. “We didn’t decide on it, it’s just where we get our powers.”

“From planets?” She asked incredulously.

“Where did you think? Candles?” (1)

“That’d make an equal amount of sense.”

“It’s complicated, so just take my word for it.” He really didn’t want to try and explain the whole Sailor Crystal concept to someone who didn’t possess one. Chosen by the stars themselves, the implication that he was above others that always followed after revealing this fact felt wrong. Even if being singled out carried with it an immense responsibility. ‘Maybe I’ll look into that prospective thing again.’

“So which planet are you supposed to be then?”

“No planet, I’m the Sun.” He answered proudly.

“But all your attack names are Earth and Moon stuff.” Nabiki pointed out flatly.

“No, they’re all something the Sun’s light causes.” He corrected as they neared the school gates crowded with students entering. Hotaru had arrived early and was waiting to the left side keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

“It’s so obvious.” Nabiki gasped in realization. “The forums will go crazy with this new info.” She whispered.

“You know you can’t just sell this info out, right?” He asked in worry that Nabiki would be unable to resist selling him out.

“There are dangerous monsters who have already tried to kill me once. So trust me a little not to piss off someone who can protect me.” She answered, sounding hurt by his insinuation.

“Sorry-- I guess.” He apologized, having assumed the worst based on her propensity to sell him out for pocket change.

“At least not for a lot of money.” Nabiki added to herself.

“Maybe I could make it worth your while.” He said enigmatically, leaving her hanging as too many students closed in around them to be able to talk on the matter. “Morning, Hotaru.” He greeted quickly jogging away from Nabiki.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 am

I hoenstly doubt Nabiki's sincerity. We have seen often enough in the manga that she takes every opportunity she sees to make some money, even if she thinks that in this instance she'll be able to refrain from selling Ranma out.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:01 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Also: rabies may be pushing it a bit. I mean, it's a degenerative illness and usually fatal without proper intervention. :P

At least Akane doesn't bite. Now if her fanon mallet had rabies ....
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby WG_Writer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:29 am

Amusingly Ranma himself is guilty of using Mallet-sama in Ranma 1/2 technically the only one who didn't out of the main reoccuring cast was Kasumi...

I think Ranma is going to cave now and go merch just to find a way to keep Nabiki in check by cutting her off at the pass. After all you can't sell something new if it isn't, except to idiots, but then again... well... Kuno.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:35 am

WG_Writer wrote:Amusingly Ranma himself is guilty of using Mallet-sama in Ranma 1/2 technically the only one who didn't out of the main reoccuring cast was Kasumi...

I dunno... I mean, Kasumi does carry them. She's an enabler, if nothing else. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:30 am

WG_Writer wrote:Amusingly Ranma himself is guilty of using Mallet-sama in Ranma 1/2 technically the only one who didn't out of the main reoccuring cast was Kasumi...

If I remember right, Ranma used it more often than Akane. But it has been a while since I looked through to track that statistic.

I think Ranma is going to cave now and go merch just to find a way to keep Nabiki in check by cutting her off at the pass. After all you can't sell something new if it isn't, except to idiots, but then again... well... Kuno.

Everyone forgets about the magical space castle filled with silly expensive things.(Also the semi-canonical pony-verse :p) Though it would probably be like pulling wisdom teeth to get Ranma to give anything up.

Also, Kuno... heh heh. He'll do anything for his princess. :mrgreen:
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:16 pm

I went back to earlier chapters and I never realized just apt that Lautia was when calling Akane a Ragamuffin.

Ragamuffins are muscular, and heavy. The physical traits include a rectangular, broad-chested body with shoulders supporting a short neck. The body appears rectangular with a broad chest and shoulders and moderately heavy muscling in the hindquarters, with the hindquarters being equally broad as the shoulders. They should be fat in the lower abdomen.

Ragamuffins are a breed of cat btw... I wonder if Akane is really meant for Ranma?

Ranma says Akane is these things all the time in the Manga ;P
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm

WG_Writer wrote:I went back to earlier chapters and I never realized just apt that Lautia was when calling Akane a Ragamuffin.

I do so enjoy my hidden references and secret meanings. :mrgreen: Though I think you should wait until I finally finish things before digging too deeply.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes