DresdenFiles: Corpsetaker swaps with Harry intead of Luccio

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

DresdenFiles: Corpsetaker swaps with Harry intead of Luccio

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:55 pm

A Dresden Files Idea What if instead of swapping with Anastasia Luccio, Corpsetaker swaps bodies with Harry?

A bit more background for those that haven't read Dead Beat lately.

Dead Beat is a Dresden Files book where Private Investigator wizard Harry Dresden has to fight the disciples of a major bad news necromancer to find the final book said necromancer wrote.

This book would cause major bad news.

Corpsetaker is a necromancer with the ability to swap bodies with someone she makes eye contact with. Which is why she's in the body of the young coed Alicia Nelson (about 5-6, pleasantly pretty, bob cut of curly brown hair).

Now in the finale of the book Corpsetaker swaps bodies with the older head of the wardens Anastasia Luccio forcing Dresden to kill Luccio's original body, leaving Luccio stranded in the Alicia body.

But...

Corpsetaker and Dresden fought earlier in the book. And while the Alicia body some magical talent Dresden has more. In this fight Corpsetaker also has her ghoul flunkie Li Xian.

So it's conceivable that Corpsetaker -well- takes Dresden's body. And if Dresden in Alicia's body were to escape...

And then that has Dresden dealing with an unfamiliar body, less raw magical HP, and... once again... an evil spell-slinger that looks like him. Opps.

Since I'm thinking of this, of course Harry has to kill himself (leaving him stuck in the Alicia body).

And to make matters worse... Harry's also dealing with a copy of a Fallen Angel whispering and tempting to him. Now I suppose Lashiel's Shadow could have stayed in the physical brain, but given the spiritual connection... she could have gone with Harry into the Alicia body.

Which would mean that the weakened Harry would have a copy of a Fallen Angel offering power and advice. (I suppose one could be nasty and have Lashiel's Shadow be duplicated. One going with Harry and another staying and going with Corpsetaker....

That'd make things worse for Harry)

This would also have repercussions in the following books.

Interesting the gender swap and new body wouldn't have much of a challenge in themselves among the spooky side. Again Luccio managed to be accepted among the White Council despite being in a different and much younger body.

But Luccio *did* have to take a Field demotion given the decrease in powers that said new body gave her. (For example she was no longer able to make Warden swords).

So put Harry in that situation and she would have a much harder climb given the loss in raw power. That said Harry did learn a lot of refinement and new skills teaching Molly, so a similar shift in priorities and learning could happen here. Harry is resourceful.

In the mundane world things would be a bit more awkward, given Harry Dresden would be dead. (Earlier than Changes at least!)

And speaking of Changes... well Harry might be immune from that bloodline curse (if it were tracked to just bodies) but the rest of Harry's family wouldn't. So the ablution of Maggie and giant curse could still be attempted by the Red Court.

And hey, another upside. Dresden would still be taller than Murphy.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Re: DresdenFiles: Corpsetaker swaps with Harry intead of Luc

Postby LunaInverse » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 am

So this seems like a great idea. Please write this!
LunaInverse
Senshi Cadet

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks! I thought it was a fun idea.

And I have been rereading the entire Dresden series (up to Cold Days once again).

Alas I hardly have time to write my own stuff. And given how... early in the series the divergence is it would be... ambitious.

That said if someone else wants to go with it, by all means.

I mean this Dresden with Lash, Deamonreach, or Mab... well it would give a different twist. Oh man. Poor Warden Ramirez.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Blackcat101 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:09 am

I don't think a Fallen Angel can be copied (Or they would have done it already, they are FALLEN Angels after all), and if you can, the the copy would be just like another personality, lacking real power.

Now, I don't think the Fallen really get tied to just the soul, because if they did, they would be screwed, by killing a host soul you would also cripple a Fallen. The Fallen marks the body, and using the body corrupts the soul (Fits the biblical theme). So at most, Lashiel II would be a powerless copy. Mostly like an Evil Bob... not than wouldn't make it amusing as hell, since Harry would be stuck being female, and unlike bob, is not like Harry has way to shut Lashiel II out. There would not even be a copy if it wasn't because the bodyswap took Lashiel I by surprise, so she wasn't fully able to retreat.

Now while Alice is weaker, Harry would have a fit younger body that he can train, and while not being able to regain his former power anytime soon, Harry would be able to to the type of magic only females can do, as calling certain powers while male is a bad idea. Plus as female she can wear magical jewelery and don't look gay.

There might also be differences in the way females use magic, and some magical skills are tied to the body.

Yeah, a weak but skilled female Harry could work.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby LunaInverse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:26 pm

I also don't really see lash being copied but maybe having her connected to multiple people don't strike me as a stretch.
LunaInverse
Senshi Cadet

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:44 am

Well the Fallen is already a copy. (The Full fallen is in the coin).

And there's very strong evidence the Fallen angel copy is tied with the soul of the host, that is how Harry's unconscious was able to alter Lash
And Lash would die if Harry died.

Of course Lasheil herself would be just fine. I mean you're right that what happens to the host doesn't affect "Big Sis".

Though you raise an interesting point with Lasheil II / Lash II being a lot like Evil Bob. Because... both would have knowledge and not much esle.

Heck, other than the Hellfire, that's all the first Lash did for Harry. She had a vast store of knowledge and could alter his perceptions.

And the Bob and Lash comparison is apt given how Dresden's second daughter was created and what she is.

Though this raises a related point. If a copy of the Fallen Angel appears each time someone picks up the coin, then it seems the copies could be readily made.

And well... the female body wasn't that much younger.

And in the Dresden-verse there hasn't been too much "female only" magic. I'm sure there is some in that universe, but not much has come up.

As for magical jewelry... Ohhhh-boy that boat already sailed.

Given Dresden's standard gear involves a lot of rings and a special bracelet. He also even had a magical earring in one book.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Blackcat101 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Yeah, but since each coin can only have one host, I don't think they can just let people pick the coins to reproduce. The only reason Harry got the copy was because he rejected the coin. So there must be a limit on how many copies can exist at the same time. Originally the copy was just there to force the host to use the coin and not much else. In fact is possible that without Harry altering Lash, it might have faded away once Harry got "touched by an angel".

So... Harry would lose the ability to use Hellfire and or Soulfire (Can't remember if he has Soulfire at this point) but both abilities end screwing up Harry so is not that bad. By female only magic I was referring that there are some powers that only respond to the call of females, and not just talking about the evil ones, some gods have the whole female superiority going, but dunno how works in the Dresden verse. Most ancient divinities are female, like Gaia, but as gods in the Dresden verse have power based on the number of believers, it would depend how much belief in Earth as a goddess.

Also, Harry being in a different body might affect the deals he made with the Fae, or might not, does having a different body changes your name?
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:48 pm

I could see the coins not having the ability to make shadow duplicates. Though I could see a copy being made whenever anyone touches. I mean each shadow (and Harry's was only special because he was insanely stubborn, most people either take up a coin or give up their power...)

And yeah, this was before Soulfire. As he only got that after Lash died.

The earth magic is interesting... as that was something Harry could work but was never a specialty.

Hmm... and as for the Fae... probably not. Given his deals with them were still active when he was Dead.

On the other hand... Harry *was* only Mostly-Dead at the time. And his body was literally in Mab's possession when he was out and about as a Ghost.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Sunshine Temple » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Ohhh... there *is* some magic in the Dresden-verse open to women only
(That we see I'd guess there's more we don't see).

The Mantles of the Fae Queens. When one Queen is killed her mantle of power moves to the nearest mortal woman who has power and been prepared.

So... under this hypothetical Dresden *could* be a Summer or Winter Lady.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Blackcat101 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:31 am

Well, if Harry has a new body and takes a new name, then believes that is "her" true name, it might invalidate some deals, since otherwise, deals would still valid even if a person reincarnates. And Harry technically died as his body was killed so um... it comes up to interpretation of the law...

The Dresdenverse mostly focuses in wizards, and hardly in witches, we don't know if witches have magic males can't do.

Calling upon Gaia might work for Harry as "she" has sacrificed much to save the planet, and is now female. And while not in the same belief, many cultures believe in a "mother Earth".
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Well... witches only come up colloquially as either those that are Wicca or as one of the many terms for people who are "minor powers' that is not powerful enough in magic to pass the bar for entry into the White Council.

See, in the Dresden verse Wizard is not gender specific. I mean neither Lucio nor Molly are refereed to as "witches" they're wizards.

As for Dresden giving up her Name. Oooff. Dresden is insanely stubborn about such things. So... maybe, but would need a pressing pressing reason.

Also I'm not sure that would be enough to get himself out of debt to Mab. I mean Harry died and Mab managed to collect on his debt to her.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby StarEyed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 am

Sunshine wrote:So... under this hypothetical Dresden *could* be a Summer or Winter Lady

I suspect that if the events of Changes and Cold Days still occured then, assuming that the mantle would accept someone who was born male, Harry would almost inevitably become Winter Lady. I don't think the Mantle actually has to go to a mortal, the implication in the early books that the Leannansidhe, a full fae, is considered a viable canidate for Winter Queen and has attempted to overthrow Mab in order to become so. Yet when Aurora was killed Lily became Summer Lady despite the fact that there were numerous other fae women around. It's been a while since I read that particular book but I was left with the impression that she was considered the most suitable host despite this because as Summer Knight she was already linked to Summer's power. As a female Winter Knight Dresden would be in the same situation, and thus likely to become Winter Lady instead of Molly.
StarEyed
Senshi Cadet

Postby Sunshine Temple » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 pm

StarEyed wrote:
I suspect that if the events of Changes and Cold Days still occured then, assuming that the mantle would accept someone who was born male, Harry would almost inevitably become Winter Lady. I don't think the Mantle actually has to go to a mortal, the implication in the early books that the Leannansidhe, a full fae, is considered a viable canidate for Winter Queen and has attempted to overthrow Mab in order to become so. Yet when Aurora was killed Lily became Summer Lady despite the fact that there were numerous other fae women around. It's been a while since I read that particular book but I was left with the impression that she was considered the most suitable host despite this because as Summer Knight she was already linked to Summer's power. As a female Winter Knight Dresden would be in the same situation, and thus likely to become Winter Lady instead of Molly.

Huh.... Yes you're remembering that book correctly.

And yeah it was that the mantle was directly said that it went to the nearest source of Summer power.

And given how these mantle's shape the user... being born male might not be such an impediment, especially if Harry's already in a female body and the Winter Knight.

Interesting that in Cold Days Mab had Molly brought in as a backup plan in case something happened to Sarissa. So Dresden as the new Winter Lady does fit in that.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Blackcat101 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:54 am

Sunshine wrote:Well... witches only come up colloquially as either those that are Wicca or as one of the many terms for people who are "minor powers' that is not powerful enough in magic to pass the bar for entry into the White Council.

See, in the Dresden verse Wizard is not gender specific. I mean neither Lucio nor Molly are refereed to as "witches" they're wizards.

As for Dresden giving up her Name. Oooff. Dresden is insanely stubborn about such things. So... maybe, but would need a pressing pressing reason.

Also I'm not sure that would be enough to get himself out of debt to Mab. I mean Harry died and Mab managed to collect on his debt to her.

Mostly dead, and it seems that is easier to revive those killed by magic than by mundane means. The reason he did not "fully" die was because all debts are canceled in death, save those said to be carried by the family, and Mab doesn't want to let go due to the way Fae are about rules

But with a new name and a different body, and Dresden being technically killed, yes there might be a loophole Harry could use. Due to the belief in a "mother earth" being strong, Harry could use that. Most old religions have the big powers being female after all.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Blackcat101 wrote:Mostly dead, and it seems that is easier to revive those killed by magic than by mundane means. The reason he did not "fully" die was because all debts are canceled in death, save those said to be carried by the family, and Mab doesn't want to let go due to the way Fae are about rules

But with a new name and a different body, and Dresden being technically killed, yes there might be a loophole Harry could use. Due to the belief in a "mother earth" being strong, Harry could use that. Most old religions have the big powers being female after all.

Well Dresden was "killed" by mundane means. He was shot.

And I'm not sure the books ever say that debts with the fae are canceled with death. (Though it's not a bad assumption either way really).

But here's the problem with saying that Dresden in a different body with a different name is a loophole that Mab would accept. Dresden would have to abandon all claimants on his old life.

Because otherwise Mab would loophole back at Dresden. I mean Mab has said that Thomas is an acceptable replacement for the Winter Knight. Despite Thomas being a vampire. But Mab's said because he's in love that's mortal enough for her.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Next

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes