Ranma and Madoka crossover...can it be done?

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Ranma and Madoka crossover...can it be done?

Postby kazenoryu » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:55 pm

I was reading one of those Madoka AU mangas when it occurred to me that I've never seen a Ranma crossover with this.
Though I don't know if it would be difficult to mix Madoka's generally depressing storyline with the wacky theme of Ranma.

There are several ideas, but the main one is for Ranma to end up making a wish to save Madoka, or to prevent the tragedy.

Potential Crossover points:

Ranma:

- After coming back from China, doesn't get clobbered by Genma and ends up in Mitakihara.

- Before going to China, goes to an all boy's school in Mitakihara.

Madoka:

- Madoka anime timeline, where Madoka hadn't become a magical girl yet.

- Original Madoka timeline, where Homura first met Madoka.

- Any other timeline where Homura could have appeared (lazy option, but gives more freedom?)

The curse would be Ranma's ticket for the wish, however depending on where the story begins it would be implemented differently.
If it was after he came back from China, then he would already have the curse. Perhaps the girls would think that he was a magical girl initially due to it, even with him denying it.

If it was before he left for China, then the curse would be after the tragedy. Ranma fails to prevent it and turns to Qubey for help, only to be denied since a boy couldn't generate enough power. He then searches for a way to turn into a girl, which leads him to the cursed springs.

Random ideas:

The curse draws the interests of the incubators, as it represents a way of "creating" candidates.

What would happen if Ranma made a wish of being a boy permanently? Looks like a potential paradox in the making. (Making a wish of being cured of the curse would lead to a mode lock, since the result of wishing turns him into a "Magical Girl")
kazenoryu
Senshi Candidate

Re: Ranma and Madoka crossover...can it be done?

Postby Blackcat101 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 pm

It can be done, the problem is that Madoka, unlike Nanoha is too dark. Also Ranma fans tend to react negatively when you bring the idea of a crossover with Madoka. Even fans of Ranma-chan fics were ranma is mind raped to be a girl think Madoka would be pure hell for Ranma.
Blackcat101
Asteroid Senshi

Postby kazenoryu » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:27 pm

It's strange though, it's not as if there aren't any dark Ranma fanfics. I recall reading one where Ranma became Mistress 9 and the world ended up being destroyed or something...

Though my problem right now with writing this would be getting myself into the right mindset for that...
Just can't muster enough depression.

Or maybe go the other way and try to lighten up Madoka? Hmm...
kazenoryu
Senshi Candidate

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:37 pm

kazenoryu wrote:It's strange though, it's not as if there aren't any dark Ranma fanfics. I recall reading one where Ranma became Mistress 9 and the world ended up being destroyed or something...

Though my problem right now with writing this would be getting myself into the right mindset for that...
Just can't muster enough depression.

Or maybe go the other way and try to lighten up Madoka? Hmm...

Ranma crossovers *are* often used as fix vehicles for the series crossed over into. Take Evangelion crossovers for example. A few of the Robotech crossovers come to mind. Plenty of others.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:02 am

Hmmm yeah I can see it now, ranma ends up meeting them because he noticed Ryoga acting weird (well weider then usual) and partially out of curiosity and partially out of concern decides to follow him, he ends up finding him about to KILL himself and manages to barely stop him, possibly by hitting a hydrant or somethimg to trigger the change for both of them because s/he was trailimg from a distance and wouldn't make it in time, and when she starts yelling at him to snap out of it, that is when Kyoko shows up (as she is the only one that is not at that one city) and then in typical madoka/ranma fashion the witch thing happens (sorry its been about a year and I can't QUITE remember what happens when they appear) And it is a witch that is just too powerful/swift for kyoko to handle and ranma decides to 'help the kid out' and fires off a moko takabisha from a range and distracts it long enough for kyoko to kill it. Afterwords kyoko would probably ask what ranma did and ranma would want to know "what the HELL just happened" and then Kyubei would probably show up because it can sense the ENORMOUS potential within ranma for energy (seeing as how ranma is likely "destined for great things" what with kikling a godling, defeating a draon prince, asura, kirin, and of course the orochi he would HAVE to be able to have great potential) and from there thing happen. Its late so that is all I got for now but that could be turned into a prolog easily enough.
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Postby windstorm » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:56 am

You can set up the situation without Ranma being the one to get the wish pretty easily as well. I could see Homura finding out about the Nerima martial artists and trying to lure them to Mikihara as ether extra firepower against Warplugis or simply as an experiment in one of the timeloops to see how they might unbalance Kyubey's plan and the usual progression of events (basically what happens if you introduce a newer, chaotic element into things).

--------------

I had a fairly dark idea a few years ago which quite a few people would probably get mad at me for.

Akane was feeling depressed about being relegated to the bottom of the martial arts totem pole and gets the wish from Kyubey. She winds up getting a confidence boost from fighting witches since she feels is something only she can do among the Nerima cast and other random martial artists. Later on she discreetly uses some of her PM abilities (I'm assuming she can 'hack' it a bit in civilian form) in the random martial arts competitions of the week (which often include the other fiances). Akane has been staying out late more and more frequently and Ranma notices something is up with how Akane wins. He subsequently remembers cases like the battle dogi or super soba where Akane got a 'free power up' (of course somewhat ignoring he wasn't a very gracious loser) and is concerned Akane is misusing whatever new power to cheat (his definition of 'cheat' is fairly liberal but basically boils down to using something which isn't tied to your own personal abilities and training, using the environment around you or 'clever' strategies).

Ranma tails Akane hoping to find out the source of this new ability and sees her going demon hunting as a magical girl. He observes the fight and winces a few times when Akane has a few close calls (just barely enough to keep him from jumping in). He is more concerned now since Akane is facing extremely lethal opponents on her own and despite the magical girl power up she doesn't seem to have the training to properly utilize her new abilities (particularly her speed and strength).

Ranma confronts Akane later asking her to stop using her PM abilities in competitions and trying to be somewhat diplomatic offers to help with the demon hunting and to train her to use her abilities better. Akane takes it the wrong way, she is mad Ranma followed her and sees his offer as a slight on her skills. Subconsciously she is concerned about him intruding on her witch hunting activities because it is something which has made her unique among the Nerima cast. She also feels she has earned the PM abilities via witch hunting and has not mentally differentiated between them and her real life abilities.

The two get into a heated argument and Akane challenges Ranma to a fight (fully intending to use her PM abilities), and if she wins he will leave her alone and won't do anything to interfere with her witch hunting. Ranma accepts seeing it as the only way to get her to see sense. During the fight there is a verbal exchange where Akane yells at Ranma for never taking her seriously as a martial artist. Ranma both wanting to win and trying get a point across shakes Akane up a bit by pointing out that she is way below his level and has never put in the type of effort that would let her come close to catching up with the other Nerima martial artists. Akane ultimately loses and Ranma backs off for a bit wanting to give her some space to cool off.

Akane has just burned a fair bit of magic fighting Ranma and her mental state over the next few days will not be the best to say the least. And we know what the danger of a PM in that situation can be.
What is the true purpose of life?

WASTING TIME!!
windstorm
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:17 pm

on her own and despite the magical girl power up she doesn't seem to have the training to properly utilize her new abilities (particularly her speed and strength).

Seriously, she may not be a powerhouse compared to the Ranma cast overall, but compared to any normal/average person(like ALL the Madoka cast) she is extreme overkill. Homura survived despite having zero personal powerboost, and she´s the only one shown not getting something(its a bit more hazy about this in the movies, but to me those are AU anyway).

Only way to get Akane to be UNDERpowered compared to other PM and their targets would be to have whatever power she gets to outright conflict with her martial arts so that she can only use one thing or the other, and that doesn´t work at all with the rest of your description.

That doesn´t make "witchhunting" less dangerous anyway so your storyline can pretty much still work.

Although if she goes all out with magic against Ranma, unless whatever power/ability she got is really crappy, i think the odds on that matchup can be just about anything.

Still, i would say LET her be powerful, maybe even make it obvious that Ranma is being his classic chauvinist arrogant jerk(usually with a bad foot in mouth problem), and let her loose against Ranma only because he gets under her skin verbally, something that could also get Ranma to sit up and take notice a bit, which could lead him to investigate how the heck someone can give out these powerups, and let him find Kyubei this way instead. Or it could lead him to find Homura. With Akane being comparatively overpowered, this could lead to problems as if she was a Madoka lite. :twisted:

In the end(literally), the worst case could then become having TWO hyperpowered witches appearing at the same time. :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby windstorm » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 am

Relatively fair points. Still I would like to rebut them to some extent.

Spica75 wrote:Seriously, she may not be a powerhouse compared to the Ranma cast overall, but compared to any normal/average person(like ALL the Madoka cast) she is extreme overkill. Homura survived despite having zero personal powerboost, and she´s the only one shown not getting something(its a bit more hazy about this in the movies, but to me those are AU anyway).

While Akane is certainly a lot stronger than the average person, in this scenario she feeling jealous specifically because she is comparing herself to the general Ranma cast. It is a bit like the regional sports champion comparing themselves to an Olympic athlete and feeling kind of jealous.

Homura, Madoka and Sayaka in the first and second timelines had the advantage of having several other magical girls around and Mami, a veteran, to help train and explain things to them. Akane is still fairly new and has been hunting solo. Also after becoming a PM and getting the hang of her ability, Homura's timestop power is pretty strong on its own. I realize I didn't say it before but I was assuming Akane would get a mainly physical based power since she wanted to be stronger and was comparing herself to other, more powerful, martial artists. Possibly something a bit like Sayaka or Kyouko with a weapon along with a speed and durability boost and the ability to jump higher and do aerial maneuvers. (Granted if another person wanted to use a similar idea they could choose a completely different powerset).

Spica75 wrote: Only way to get Akane to be UNDERpowered compared to other PM and their targets would be to have whatever power she gets to outright conflict with her martial arts so that she can only use one thing or the other, and that doesn´t work at all with the rest of your description.

I think it is likely that the attrition rate for new PMs is pretty high (pre-Madokami). Akane could very well be significantly stronger than the average Puella Magi, especially for a beginner, but Ranma doesn't exactly have a way to know this. He is comparing her to his experience and knowledge of where someone with that kind of ability should be (he also probably has way higher personal standards). The main thing here is that since Akane is still fairly new to the artificial PM power boost she hasn't learned to use it to maximum effectiveness. Ranma as someone who has trained to get there sees several things off, like miscalculated jumps and inefficient movements, and in a fight with a witch those miscalculations could be fatal.

The witch she was fighting that time could also be stronger than average or have an ability that somewhat trumps hers. Like you said though fighting witches is still going to be pretty dangerous regardless.

Spica75 wrote: Although if she goes all out with magic against Ranma, unless whatever power/ability she got is really crappy, i think the odds on that matchup can be just about anything.

Agreed it does depend on the power, and since I didn't specify at the time, it is a fair point. If the characters in the Madoka series and spinoffs are anything to judge the typical PM by though I would say Ranma can probably beat most of them, especially if they have physical based abilities or just general attack abilities. It is more likely he would lose against a kind of trump or reality altering power like Homura's timestop. The main advantage Ranma has on Akane here is more fighting experience, particularly against equal or stronger opponents, and in a fight he is probably a much better strategist.

Spica75 wrote: Still, i would say LET her be powerful, maybe even make it obvious that Ranma is being his classic chauvinist arrogant jerk(usually with a bad foot in mouth problem), and let her loose against Ranma only because he gets under her skin verbally, something that could also get Ranma to sit up and take notice a bit, which could lead him to investigate how the heck someone can give out these powerups, and let him find Kyubei this way instead. Or it could lead him to find Homura. With Akane being comparatively overpowered, this could lead to problems as if she was a Madoka lite. :twisted:

Fun idea. I could easily see this happening in the fight, but for a few more reasons than just Ranma putting his foot in his mouth. Using verbal insults to psyche out an opponent is a perfectly acceptable strategy to him and he would probably be trying to avoid physically hurting Akane too badly if he could avoid it (he likes her and doesn't want Soun ticked at him for hurting her).

To be fair I never said Ranma was going to have a very easy time beating Akane in PM mode, just that he manged to win. The end result I personally want is that with the PM power up Akane has probably gotten within striking distance of Ranma power-wise, but he is ultimately still a better fighter mainly due experience and skill. Akane is too shaken by the loss and doesn't have the mindset to look at things that way though.
What is the true purpose of life?

WASTING TIME!!
windstorm
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:57 am

Also after becoming a PM and getting the hang of her ability, Homura's timestop power is pretty strong on its own.

I meant that she did not get any personal/physical "upgrade".

I realize I didn't say it before but I was assuming Akane would get a mainly physical based power since she wanted to be stronger and was comparing herself to other, more powerful, martial artists. Possibly something a bit like Sayaka or Kyouko with a weapon along with a speed and durability boost and the ability to jump higher and do aerial maneuvers.

And if that´s what she gets, then because she´s already far above where other PMs started, she will effectively be a high powered PM from the start.

While Akane is certainly a lot stronger than the average person, in this scenario she feeling jealous specifically because she is comparing herself to the general Ranma cast. It is a bit like the regional sports champion comparing themselves to an Olympic athlete and feeling kind of jealous.

That doesn´t change the "threat level" of witches.

but Ranma doesn't exactly have a way to know this

That was part of my point yes. :D

The witch she was fighting that time could also be stronger than average or have an ability that somewhat trumps hers.

Of course.

If the characters in the Madoka series and spinoffs are anything to judge the typical PM by though I would say Ranma can probably beat most of them, especially if they have physical based abilities or just general attack abilities. It is more likely he would lose against a kind of trump or reality altering power like Homura's timestop.

Pretty much yeah. However, add that kind of boost to someone that ALSO starts out as a highend martial artist of the Ranmaverse(even if lowend compared to much of the cast), and you get a PM that could easily end up just about anywhere on a scale when comparing to Ranma. Depending on what kind of ability/power she ends up with.

And face it, IF she does get fighting abilities that meshes directly with martial arts, then she will likely end up extremely capable in that regard, simply because the boost then would add to what is already there. The PMs that seem to rely most on physical boosts are definitely not strong compared to Ranma, but add that boost to someone who is already partway there on their own...

More importantly though is whether she gets any abilities of the more "interesting" kind.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby kazenoryu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:16 pm

windstorm wrote:I had a fairly dark idea a few years ago which quite a few people would probably get mad at me for.

Akane was feeling depressed about being relegated to the bottom of the martial arts totem pole and gets the wish from Kyubey.

Well, if you were going for dark we could have Ranma end up witnessing Akane turn into a witch then having to kill her. He then swears to stop the incubators and all that they stand for. Years later appears a Witch Hunter that is taking out many witches and PM...

Anyway, I haven't paid attention to this thread for a while, though I was glad to see that there was at least some discussion going on.
kazenoryu
Senshi Candidate

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes