Akane's Ill Timed Wish.

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Akane's Ill Timed Wish.

Postby LawOhki » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:51 am

Spica75 wrote:Oh that´s evil. :mrgreen:

I am not kind to characters.... sometimes. :twisted:

Ranma trying to master some technique, Kasumi already did it in a shorter time.
Ranma says screw it he'll cook something for dinner with a recipe he found the other day that looked amazing. It's Kasumi's recipe.
Ranma's first day at a new school. Nabiki's already sold him out to any sports teams or set him up for dozens of dates.
Nabiki helps Ranma study for a test. All wrong answers.
Ranma gets cursed at Jusenkyo, Kasumi takes it upon herself to be the best big sister to her new little sister possible. Teach her ALL the things that she'll need to know now.

Would take some work to squeeze that into a workable package, but it´s an interesting variation for sure. Might even be the one with best storypotential so far.

Would take some work and to work would require that it not just follow the general canon storyline so it actually did affect how Genma raised them. Unlike pretty much every other story out there where someone shoves another character under Genma's tutelage. Specifying that Ranma has to be the little sister seems like far too an obvious way to rewrite Ranma's character in a way that doesn't add much to a story.

Well, kinda problematic since i can´t recall the event from the anime at all. :oops:

http://www.mangareader.net/ranma-12/15/3
There ya go. Not like Akane ever had access to it, but that's the easiest thing to accomplish for the idea.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby phwise » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:51 pm

My thoughts on the idea:

- why does anyone need to go back to the canonical reality afterwards? The whole 'nothing actually changes as a result of all of this' seems really limiting to this idea, and seem to sidestep its consequences. Remember: Wishes come true, not free.

- Regardless of whether or not they go back to the canonical Ranmaverse afterwards, if growing up with all their previous memories would defeat the wish's wording, you could resolve this by having them all regain their previous memories when they get back to the moment in time where Akane originally made the wish. That would be a bit of a mindscrew to everyone involved, though. If any of them are much the same as they were prior to the wish, it wouldn't be too bad for them. It would be weird, but not "I just failed a SAN check" weird.

Ranma would probably have the hardest time. Just growing up as Ranma Tendo, Nabiki and Kasumi's little sister, would lead to a drastically different life and person than canon Ranma, even if the raw material for that person is otherwise identical. Growing up as a girl means Ranma would face different social pressures. She would be socialized differently. Parents may react differently to the same behavior displayed by a little boy than by a little girl. Societal expectations of her expected gender role will be a thing. She will grow up in a world that sees her as inherently imperiled. "MEN ACT, WOMEN ARE." She'll probably have internalized the notion of the Male Gaze and all the baggage that comes with it. Objectification is a thing for her, and this time she doesn't have the buffer of, "It's not really my body, it's just a curse I'm under". However she responds to it and whatever she makes of these experiences, all of this will seem totally normal to her. And all of that without any consideration of actual biological differences or of her potential sexuality (which is another thing: is girl-Ranma heterosexual? Gay? Bisexual?). What happens when girl-Ranma suddenly remembers boy-Ranma's life? Is the resulting person "boy-Ranma who suddenly remembers another life as a girl," or is it the opposite? And so on.
phwise
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Would take some work and to work would require that it not just follow the general canon storyline so it actually did affect how Genma raised them. Unlike pretty much every other story out there where someone shoves another character under Genma's tutelage. Specifying that Ranma has to be the little sister seems like far too an obvious way to rewrite Ranma's character in a way that doesn't add much to a story.

Agreed, even if they don´t remember their "real" lives during this, keeping it fixed means actions wont have consequences unless they were the "historical" actions.

This also relates to part of why i dont think they can be allowed to retain their "real life" memories, worst case, they "realise" that this is just a dream and do something stupid. Absolute worst case, they start gaming the system.

It would also greatly reduce the impact of the whole experience.

There ya go. Not like Akane ever had access to it, but that's the easiest thing to accomplish for the idea.

Any idea of where it is in the anime(if it is there at all i mean), i generally prefer the anime because it´s much faster to watch.
(but thx for the link anyway, i´ll get back to it sooner or later regardless)

Actually, forget that, i already read it through. :mrgreen:
Page 26 looks like a decent place for Akane to GET the sword at least, after that though...
Hmm, forget that as well i guess, she needs to be the Xth person to try getting the sword for it to work. Maybe as a sideeffect of one more plan to get rid of certain curses.

Well even if it turns out to be troublesome, you can always make it a mini crossover and borrow Anyanka to get the wish up and running. Akane counts as part of her clientel half the time anyway. :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 pm

You know, the funnyesr way for this to work, is the next day ranma gets somevpaperwork from the goverment. Ranma is no longer ranma satome, she is now ranma tendo and is the sister to nabs and kasime, of corse everyone to deal with the fallout this casues which could be quite funny. Kuno would be trilled since ranma can no longer marry akane and the pig tailed girl has a name now. The ractions of everyone else would also be fun since ranma is now a tendo little sister.....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:06 pm

And of course being a sister is rather gender specific. Goodbye curse even in there. No more "Foul Sorcerer" Akane destroyed him with a wish.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes