Genma's Daughter spinoff..

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Genma's Daughter spinoff..

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Also room for questions of what you are now and if you can even face others from your past or worries about how they will feel about what turns out to be the truth for you. Even though you only see but don't really know the truth of yourself yet.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Fair enough...

Way Im thinking of it going is a story being told largely from RANMA's (E.g. not Ranko's) POV

finding out that "You never existed" Is bound to be a HORRIFIC experience... ever seen what Dawn did on Buffy the vampire slayer?

She burned her diaries, and tore up her room, then ran away

I know Dawn was a 14 year old girl, and Ranmas a 16 year old boy, but thoughts?

The only way to get it to the same level of that comparison would probably be to have the Ranma that left Jusenkyo be a total and complete fake, ie, the REAL Ranma could potentially still be left at the bottom of the nyannichuan.

Or as someone used the twin cursed pool for some fic, the moment the curse activated, the one cursed became two, and instantly both started to become its own person, but when the curse was reversed, they never knew which of the 2 twins would disappear...

Not saying you should just ditch the idea or something, just that it might not be nearly as big a thing as you might have thought.

As i noted in some earlier thread, gender isn´t remotely as digital as we often categorise it as. That´s just a convenient oversimplification. There´s some quite good reasons why there are some arguing that legal gender should have the addition of "3. Other".

And, unlike how some writers portray it, i have never been able to see that Ranma´s personality seriously changes when he changes gender, meaning that it´s always "just" him(or her in this case), singular. Meaning that there´s no case of anyone actually and truly disappearing.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Knight of Ranko » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 am

I'll admit I am going with the curse having a degree of psychological impact

You are right though, that it isnt QUITE the same degree, but it may SEEM like it to Ranma especialy with his father having ran off.

enough to provoke a nightmare if nothing else

Remember in Genma's daughter Ranko did EXPLICITLY refer to Ranma as "dead"

A curious note on Ranma 1/2?

Why is it that it seems, to me at least, to be a series that MANY fanfic writers, have NEVER read or watched the original source material or that it plays a small part in things for them

Not that im one to talk ive spent years without watching an episode...
Knight of Ranko
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 am

I guess you haven't read older fanfiction or missed the works by the better Fanfiction authors. The series came out decades ago. It might actually be the case on some of the newer authors works that they have not gotten to the source material. Unlikely but not impossible.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am

It might actually be the case on some of the newer authors works that they have not gotten to the source material. Unlikely but not impossible.

Or at least not much of it.

On the other hand, i´ve seen some excellent fanfiction where the authors specifically apologise that they haven´t actually had a chance to see/read it themselves(or not much at least).
So it´s not just a negative it least.

Why is it that it seems, to me at least, to be a series that MANY fanfic writers, have NEVER read or watched the original source material or that it plays a small part in things for them

Because it´s probably true to some extent. Myself included to a certain extent, i´ve only seriously watched the first 2 seasons of the anime(although i´ve seen those twice), but only gone through much of the rest at turborate and only read some small bits of the manga.

Thing is that Ranma gets too drawn out for its own good, and it is definitely at its best early on, with much of the latter parts giving a forced feeling as well as the usual dreadful shone style "level ups".
The series is effectively one of my favourites, but despite that, my rating of it over at anime-planet is still just 3/5, reflecting it´s flaws.
Inuyasha, by same mangaka, has pretty much the same problem, even if it´s less obvious as that series had so much more ground to cover(and play with), to make up for the story sometimes slamming into a brickwall.

Not that im one to talk ive spent years without watching an episode...

Occasionally i watch an episode, still want to get through the whole series without rushing.
*checks* Mmm, seems i´m on ep 73 in regards to "fully watched", so just another 90 or so to go. :mrgreen:

enough to provoke a nightmare if nothing else

Oh definitely that.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Nightmares and night terrors even are easy to have happen. Total personality switches due to changes in what your form happens to be... Not so easy to hand wave.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby phwise » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Nightmares and night terrors even are easy to have happen. Total personality switches due to changes in what your form happens to be... Not so easy to hand wave.

This, basically. Yes, there will be changes to a personality if a person's body is transformed. However, the changes aren't THAT huge. Although I can't say I've ever encountered someone who found out that because of a magical transformation, they were never the gender they thought they were in the first place, and then got stuck as their original biological gender when the spell broke, I do know three people who have Transitioned - two from male to female, one from female to male. Speaking as an outside observer, none of the people involved seemed that different afterwards personality-wise. There were changes, yes, but they weren't fundamental changes. Sometimes, the same trait was expressed in a slightly different way, but you could see how it got there from where it started. They were and are still basically the same people; the biggest change that I noticed in all three besides 'the context' (which is a big thing, admittedly, but not a change of personality per se) was just the sense that they had become more comfortable inside their own skins. I'm sure any one of them could probably list plenty of things that had changed about themselves, but since I can only look at them from the outside, all I can relate is what I have seen, which is, "basically the same person, but happier and more comfortable in their own skin."

Of course, all that is assuming that changing gender is a thing the person desired and sought out. For Ranma, her current situation is effectively identical to having been permanently transformed from a man to a woman against her will. You can argue that she was always biologically female, and that being male was a lie in the first place, but if Ranma's gender identity is male, then that argument doesn't actually amount to anything. It just means Ranma isn't a cisgendered woman.
phwise
Senshi Candidate

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Actually a better comparison would be of Xion's situation rather than Roxas. Xion was 'just a puppet' created by the organization. She wasn't real, in fact she was never meant to exist in the first place. Her entire life was a lie. She was 'born' solely because someone else had a need for a fake keyblade wielder. She was in fact born from someone else memories. In the end she was forced to realize that it would be better for everyone if she didn't exist. But not before running away from home and everything and everyone she ever knew. All her friends, the people that worried about her, even herself.
Though I at least would be interested in reading this type of story
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes