R and A Setting idea

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

R and A Setting idea

Postby TattooTheDL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 am

This idea came about because I started reading the story "Worm", and about 5 minutes into thinking up a way to plausibly have Ranma get involved, a thought occurred to me. A set up that, I'm not quite sure has been done before.

SPOILER - Show Spoiler
Ranma introduces himself to Taylor, the main character of Worm after one of her 'typical school days' of being bullied mercilessly. They walk to his place and Akane answers the door. Akane frowns/scowls and Ranma realizes he screwed up by bringing a 'new friend' home who happened to be a girl, but Akane doesn't snap. Instead, Taylor comes in and Ranma/Akane explain that they're sorta-not really engaged, but want to explore other options rather than be forced into something.

To sum up, Ranma and Akane are sick of being told what to do with their own lives, and while they keep saying they don't want to get married, Akane at least acknowledges that she can trust Ranma to help her out.

With that in mind, the two of them run away from Nerima together, NOT to elope, but to find a place where they can both discover what they want out of life without the hassle of overbearing/idiotic parents and crazy rivals/fiances. End result, you have Ranma and Akane living together, rather awkwardly but able to be civil or even nice to each other on a regular basis.

Of course, this just leaves things open for when the rest of the wrecking crew show up.

Thoughts?
TattooTheDL
Senshi Candidate

Re: R and A Setting idea

Postby Spica75 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Something in that line probably works as a basic idea, but beware that Worm isn't just grimdark, it's BLOODY STUPID grimdark, and it will not be easy to mix with Ranma if you keep the Worm world, and without it, the reason why Taylors school is so -ing useless is removed ( Sophia being a ward which means money and some tiny little extra influence bonus that they want to keep at any cost(here's where the BS grimdark part pops up, as the level of idiocy is unreal) ).

It all depends a lot on how you're making the crossover and where exactly you want to move the story towards.
Unless you have them meet early, when Taylor is 13-14, she's suicidal and probably not really sane, or at least mentally coherent.
Not an easy thing to write.

You also need to figure out how to handle the backstory, the gang problem in BB is beyond ridiculous extreme due to Cauldron's experiment, it's definitely not realistic for that situation to happen without either the canon worm background, or something equally drastic, and i somewhat doubt that Ranma&Akane would decide to go to such a crappy place, if nothing else because the use of lethal weapons of the kind that their skills dont really protect much against is so common.

It's an interesting premise, but you're probably going to have to work to make it a plausible world and backstory.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 pm

It's the same usual "Ranma (+ Character the Author Likes) leaves Nerima" crossover setup I've seen countless times. I really doubt that Ranma and/or Akane really feel that out of control over their lives. Ranma in particular has always shown that if he really hates a situation he will work to fix it. So if the status quo was so awful to him he would have ditched the place long ago.

Spica75 wrote:Something in that line probably works as a basic idea, but beware that Worm isn't just grimdark, it's BLOODY STUPID grimdark, and it will not be easy to mix with Ranma if you keep the Worm world, and without it, the reason why Taylors school is so -ing useless is removed .

The obvious answer is to have the insanity Ranma and Akane deal with on a regular basis get involved to take the piss out of the grimderp.

Ranma 1/2 is a comedy, use that in a crossover. Make it a joke.

Edit: Also I'd like to point out that a Ranma/Worm Crossover is, perhaps, the Legendary Crossover Singularity.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby TattooTheDL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm

...Okay, now that I've read MORE of Worm, it would take an epic skill in order to mix Ranma 1/2 into that and not have it suck a$$. There's a level of grim-dark in certain stories that, right out of the gate, just don't freaking work and there's too much of a tonal shift to credibly mix the two as far as I can see.

Regarding a conversation a buddy and I had about 40k that TOTALLY applies to Worm on some level
The took Grim-dark to the point of Derp! It's Grim-dark-derp!

....It's Darp...DAAARRRPP!!!

Not the most intellectual response, but you get the idea.

---
Anyway, the MAIN point was how, as a concept, a person who thinks of Akane/Ranma as a good pairing (There are plenty who don't and I get that) could use the above set-up as a simple jumping off point into why they are in a different area...and gives a valid reason for the rest of the Wrecking Crew to come knocking.

I think it works as a very simple jumping off point that could reasonably be slotted into a lot of possible different crossovers. (Who knows how many anime's, DC, Marvel, other shows, etc...)
TattooTheDL
Senshi Candidate

Postby Pata Hikari » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 am

Honestly you don't need a "Ranma leaves Nerima" plot to facilitate some wacky crossover or adventure out of Nerima

Ranma goes on training trips. He's brought Akane with him on some. Have him and others end up involved in the crossover event while doing that, with increasingly flimsy justifications as to why they're training there. More then one Ranma 1/2 arc involves Ranma running into some weirdness on a training trip.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am

Pata Hikari wrote:More then one Ranma 1/2 arc involves Ranma running into some weirdness on a training trip.

They all do, for reasonable definitions of weirdness. Bearing in mind that "reasonable" is not a Nerima trait.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Pata Hikari » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:They all do, for reasonable definitions of weirdness. Bearing in mind that "reasonable" is not a Nerima trait.

Nah, most of the arcs are the weirdness coming to Ranma, or Akane, or just being there. And it's not a "Nerima" trait, it's the whole bloody world in Ranma 1/2 that's weird and silly.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Sorry - when I said "all" I meant "training trips", not arcs. Imprecise terminology there; my bad.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes