Cliched Fantasy 15

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or even fanfiction. All completed /ready-for0review longform creative writing allowed. No posting of individual scenes; that is what the Outlines and Scenes section is for.Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Cliched Fantasy 15

Postby LawOhki » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:07 am

Ranma woke up with a small gasp, crawling slightly out of the covers before she realized her dream hadn’t been real. Sighing in partial relief, she tried to focus her mind away from the memory of the mute Tieflings death. Shifting her wings about, she drew her covers back up over her body.

‘At least Saffron isn’t burned into my head.’ She thought hollowly, remembering how the Phoenix had imprinted him on someone else this morning.

“You okay?” Pepa asked, the fairy had been sleeping on one edge of Ranma’s pillow, and had been jostled awake.

“Yea, just a bad-- memory.” She answered, her voice still a whisper, and girlishly cringed as something shifted next to her side. Lifting her blanket up, she rolled her eyes at Hana, the weasel now twisted into an uncomfortable looking position, and still sleeping soundly.

Letting her blanket fall back into place, Ranma found another familiar problem. Pepa was laying on her stomach at the edge of pillow with her head propped up in her hands watching Ranma intently. “Pepa-- I get that you’re-- concerned about me. But you don’t have to stare at me all the time.” She felt touched over the spell creatures desire to watch over her, it just felt too weird to show or voice that.

“Okay.” Pepa smiled brightly at being acknowledged and fluttered her wings to rise up off the pillow to drop back down in a crosslegged sitting position. “What should I do then?” She asked, tail curled upwards vertically and twitching back and forth in anticipation.

“I don’t know, isn’t there anything you want to do?”

“I was doing it.” Pepa answered with several confused blinks of her large eyes.

‘That’s depressing.’ Ranma slowly thought back and realized that Pepa didn’t really do anything for herself. The fairy was always waiting to help someone else or just fluttering around watching. “I meant you.” She pointed towards the tiny girl. “What do you like to do?”

“I don’t understand.” The fairy answered truthfully.

“Alright, how about this--.” Ranma sat up, giving up on spending more time under the warm blankets. “If no one else was around, what would you want to do?”

Pepa crossed her arms and stroked her chin in thought. “Find out where everyone has gone?”

“It doesn’t matter where they went, they’re just not there.”

“But shouldn’t I be worried about where they went? They could be in danger.”

“No danger, everyone is perfectly alright, they’ll all live long happy lives-- okay?”

“Okay--.” Pepa agreed slowly and uncertainly. “But why can’t I be there too? Would that make them unhappy?” She asked as her wings and tail drooped.

“Ignore them, this isn’t about anyone else. What I want to know, is what would make you, Pepa, happy?”

“I’d certainly be happier knowing where everyone is. That’s just not normal, so obviously there’s some nefarious plot going on.” Pepa scrunched up her face in deep thought and crossed her arms.

“Just nevermind.” Ranma sighed, deciding that she had been asking a question beyond the spell creatures reasoning abilities. It could be easy to forget that Pepa was created by a freak occurrence and even though she was intelligent, there was no guarantee for how much.

“Ranma, are you going to spend all day in bed?” Kasumi’s voice came out of nowhere.

Ranma eeped and slipped back under her blanket in embarrassment before she realized that she was having such a stupid reaction. But then she buried herself underneath the covers completely upon further realization of how bad that first reaction had been.

“Kasumi help!” Pepa shouted desperately. “Ranma wants to make everyone vanish, that sounds bad, could you stop her?” Ranma peaked out from her blanket to see Kasumi was actually barely over a meter away reading from a scroll.

“I don’t think that’s what Ranma meant Pepa.” Kasumi gave the fairy a patient smile.

“Ungrateful fairy, I was just going to do something nice for you.” Ranma’s voice fluctuated from normal volume to a whisper as she popped up into a kneeling position.

“Really?” Pepa spun from her place hovering in front of Kasumi with her hands clasped under her chin, and eyes sparkling with tears. “I knew you liked me!” The fairy flew in an erratic path to slam into Ranma’s chest next to her collarbone and hug her.

“It’s just cause you saved me.” Ranma protested, looking to Kasumi for assistance. “I mean helped me, I could have got back to town on my own.”

“Nuh uh! You said I saved you, you wanted to do something nice for me, so you must like me, no take backs!” Pepa happily nuzzled against Ranma’s neck.

Seeing that Kasumi wasn’t going to back her up in anyway, Ranma reached up and lightly patted Pepa. ‘I’m never going to get rid of her now.’ She thought without conviction.

“What’s going on?” Hana asked sleepily, slithering her way out from underneath the blanket.

“Ranma said she liked me.” Pepa haughtily told the familiar and stuck out her tongue.

“So?” Hana rolled her head to one side. “Wasn’t that obvious?”

“No fighting, you’ll--.” Ranma was about to say that they would wake Saffron but he was gone. “Just no fighting.” She finished softly.

“Okay.” Hana spun around to face her. “Did you have a message for me yet?”

“I guess I do.” She nodded. Ranma didn’t know if it was a good one but she didn’t think she would come up with anything better. “Ready?” Hana nodded rapidly in response.

------

Looking for some thoughts on a character i'm developing. In a previous chapter, Favian indicated that Ladon had six children, but only five are accounted for. I want to bring in the last one. This would be a son who Ladon only kept around to torment. His mother would likely be a succubus who didn't do as instructed when Ladon used her. Since they do have control over how their young are conceived, she was supposed to make him as dragonlike as possible, like Raxus. Her son came out much more succubus like with no wings and all the aggressive dragon traits toned down. Couldn't get rid of everything because the dragon part was too strong but he was completely unacceptable for his plans. The mother expected he'd just be left for dead or killed but instead Ladon kept the two alive to torture them but primarily to make him watch his mother be slowly killed.

Since he was purposely raised to be weak and dominated he doesn't know how to live on his own. Now that Ladon, his siblings are all gone he doesn't know what to do, so he tracks down Favian to at least something will be familiar. Thanks to a certain green eyed woman's intervention he ends up meeting ranma, who doesn't immediately vaporize him. Ranma/Kasumi take pity on him and want to help him out. Supposed to be a possible love interest for Kasumi though there are too many issues with how he's so used to being mistreated that he has no idea how to be treated normally.

Any suggestions on him?
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Re: Cliched Fantasy 15

Postby Konsaki » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:44 am

Looks like a great introduction to a chapter, with some hooks into the next sections for easy transitions. Didn't really look at your work for technical problems, but the flow worked well.

Any suggestions on him?
Um... not sure exactly what your looking for here. Looks like you have his background rolling around in your head right now, so what exactly are you asking for from the gallery?
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Konsaki wrote:Um... not sure exactly what your looking for here. Looks like you have his background rolling around in your head right now, so what exactly are you asking for from the gallery?

Thoughts on it, would a character like that be interesting enough? Do you want to have more backstory on Ladon and the kids? Does Ranma's reaction to watching him and Kasumi get romantically closer seem like a good sub plot?

It'd be impossible for you to know but he does work as well to show how the Succubus queen handles it when her people are taken and the limitations she has to deal with. As was indicated at the beginning of the last chapter, Gods/Demons are purposely limited on the influence they can have on the mortal plane. I'll just confirm that she is the green eyed woman and she is a huge badass that Ranma is going to idolize.

Edit
And because she'll be going away, have a picture of Hana.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 am

There will be a scene with Akane and Michiko shoved in before this.

-------------

Kiima listened absently as Masara relayed to her what had happened while she had been recovering. She felt little joy upon learning the news that Raxus had met his end, or that his Demonic sire had also fallen, or even that her Lord Saffron had been recovered. Her hands had not been the ones to mete justice upon the monstrous Tiefling.

Trying to raise her left arm to silence the male Phoenix, she was instantly reminded of yet another piece of her that Raxus had taken. Closing her eyes and taking an emotionally pained breath, Kiima reached up with her one remaining arm to cover her barely movable stump. “I’ve heard enough.” She interrupted, silencing the other Phoenix.

“Would you like me to bring your dinner?” Masara asked as though he had done something wrong and wanted to placate her. “The doctor said that you should try to keep something down.”

“Thank you.” She nodded, not feeling up to pointing out that she had been here when the doctor had explained that it would be difficult to eat any food for some time. A consequence of her organs having been almost completely liquefied by the force of Raxus’ blow.

“I’ll go inform the staff.” Masara bowed his head and left quickly to retrieve her food.

Left alone for the first time since waking, her eyes slid lazily over the simple hospital room she had been moved to in order to be monitored. Simple and utilitarian, but obviously a room for a richer patron by the quality of the limited furniture, and the nicely polished stone floor. It was the quality of the room she had had at her true home, back before it was taken.

‘He may as well have taken my wings.’ She squeezed her eyes shut and groped awkwardly at her stump of a limb. Groomed her entire life to protect her lord and people, she had failed utterly when called upon to fulfill her duty. She had consoled herself that she would have her chance, that she would avenge her people. But now that was forever out of her reach, leaving nothing but a hollow ache in her heart for what should have been joyous news.

A light rapping on her door followed by the creak of the metal handle made her once more aware of the room around her. Watching the wooden door to her right open, the corners of Kiima’s mouth curved upwards into the barest hints of a smile.

Ranma was not so reserved, walking in with a bright smile spread over her face. “Kiima, you’re up!” The redhead exclaimed in a hoarse voice, she took two confident steps into the room before her hoof slipped mid step on the polished floor. Yelping in alarm, she fell flat on her face with her wings making one pitiful spreading motion before drooping to drape over the floor.

‘It’s like nothing happened for her.’ Kiima thought morosely.

While she didn’t feel in a particularly joyful mood, she couldn’t stop herself from smiling at the redhead’s flub. Though she did notice that both of the Tieflings seemed to have a distinct and stronger presence to themselves upon entering that she hadn’t noticed before.

“Our savior.” The dragon tiefling, Kasumi affectionately introduced as she stepped around Ranma’s prone form.

“Did that hurt? It looked like it did.” Pepa asked worriedly, hovering over Ranma’s head.

“Only my pride.” Ranma mumbled into the floor.

“How are you feeling?” Kasumi asked in concern as she sat down on a wooden chair next to the bed. “You’ve been out for some time.”

“I’ll live, but I’m not well.” She answered, trying hard to face her future with bravery. “Not that being a cripple will hinder my future tasks.”

“You’re not a cripple!” Ranma declared, suddenly hopping up to her feet, before dropping down on the bed close to her. Pepa fluttered over to sit on the girl’s shoulder as soon as she had settled. “You’re just--.” The redhead trailed off while searching for the right word.

“What?” Kiima snapped and clutched at the stump of her arm. “I’ve done nothing but fail my people. The only thing they’ll have left for me is to lay on my back and push out eggs until I’m all used up.” She snapped angrily, the intensity of her feelings beginning to overwhelm her.

“Eggs? Really?” Ranma carelessly asked and blinked down owlishly towards her stomach.

Kiima’s face twisted into an angry scowl at the unthinking response, the feathers on her wings ruffling.

“What do eggs have to do with anything?” Pepa asked in confusion.

“Why did you save me?!” She screamed and backhanded the redhead across her face, her talons leaving four shallow cuts on her cheek. Kiima’s hand exploded in pain, the deceptively soft looking Tiefling barely budging from the blow. “I could have died with honor instead of living in shame!”

“Kiima?” Ranma asked in shock, gingerly raising a hand to touch her cheek. Pulling away enough to confirm that the wetness was blood. “My face.” She mumbled in horror.

“Why are you being such a meanie?” Pepa moved to hover partially between them to glare at her with her arms crossed.

“Get out!” She snarled, holding her stinging hand to her chest. “All of you get out!”

“We should go.” Kasumi quickly grabbed Ranma by the shoulders to try and get her to leave.

“You cut me.” Ranma’s eyes watered slightly in betrayal, allowing herself to be pulled off the bed.

“And you destroyed me!” Tears burned her eyes as she screamed at the red head. “I fell for your charm and you took everything!”

“I didn’t charm you!” The tiefling shouted in denial, her voice catching at the end leading to a violent coughing fit that nearly brought the girl to her knees. “I never.” She wheezed, struggling to catch her breath.

“It’s what your kind does.” She remarked coldly.

Kiima should have been helping her people, being the leader that she was born to be in their time of need. Not wasting her time on personal pursuits with some deviant demon. For a very brief instant she locked eyes with Ranma and felt the sharp presence of her demonic aura wash over her and suddenly she was falling. Tumbling endlessly down into a lightless void, unable to catch herself as she flailed about helplessly towards darkness from a black sky. And then the moment had passed and she was once again a cripple in a hospital bed, unsure if anything had happened at all.

Across from her, Ranma struggled to keep her composure. “Fine.” Her shoulders shook as she slowly turned to leave the room, passing by Masara who was peeking his head in through the doorway.

“I hope you feel good about yourself.” Kasumi gave her a smoldering glare as she quickly followed after the red head.

The last one to leave was the little scowling fairy girl. Pepa breathed in deeply as though she might start yelling but chose to dart off after the other two without a word.

Masara watched them go before slipping back into the room. “Was that wise? She did save Lord Saffron and the elder has given her a place of high honor.” He asked timidly, fearing her rebuke.

Kiima didn’t even bother to look at him. “As if your opinion matters.” She replied sardonically.

The other Phoenix winced and stared down at the floor without a word. He flexed his wings once before taking a position next to the door waiting for an order.

‘I shouldn’t be so dismissive of him.’ She made a tight fist with her one remaining hand. Masara had always been a loyal subordinate and as close to a friend as she had had before Ranma. Not that she would really need him now. She better get used to being around Samosa, Eiriasa, Dahana, and even Cassia since she may as well be a wingless groundling now.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby ranmas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:59 pm

ouch, looks like Kiima is in need of a bit of a attitude adjustment. Too bad she decided now was a good time to try and take it out on Ranma.

Anyway, its good to see some more of this.
ranmas
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:36 pm

ranmas wrote:ouch, looks like Kiima is in need of a bit of a attitude adjustment. Too bad she decided now was a good time to try and take it out on Ranma.

Anyway, its good to see some more of this.

I still haven't decided how much the remaining Phoenix leadership wants to bring the blame down on Kiima's head for everything now that they are no longer under threat from Ladon.

But I have decided that this'll finally be the thing that gets Kasumi pissed at both of their treatment by the mortals. Let a little of her inner dragon come out. :twisted:
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:23 am

But I have decided that this'll finally be the thing that gets Kasumi pissed at both of their treatment by the mortals. Let a little of her inner dragon come out

Huh? Isn't Kasumi mortal too?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 am

Dumbledork wrote:Huh? Isn't Kasumi mortal too?
Mortal just describes races that come from the mortal plane.

Anyone with Divine or Infernal heritage is automatically considered plane touched and therefore 'not-mortal.' The Tendos kind of sit in a weird grey area. It's known that they got some demon blood floating around in them but it's not expressed so they'll be accepted as mortals but not Kasumi where she's visibly not.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Ah, okay. To me mortal is someone who can die of old age while an immortal can't.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Ah, okay. To me mortal is someone who can die of old age while an immortal can't.

That's kind of what it's based off of. Mortal plane is where the mortal, dying of old age, races exist.

The others aren't immediately just for immortals. The succubae for instance don't live that much longer than normal humans, their queen on the other hand is immortal. But there are other races who are actually immortal.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Partial snippet that goes in after Hana gets her message from Ranma. Bit hung up on it due to Happosai since he needs to be in it somehow and I'm not sure how he should be reacting to being able to do none of his usual activities in the slightest.

------

Nerima

Kneeling on the wood floor, Akane scrubbed at a stubborn stain that Happosai had created with enough force that the protective coating was being worn off. “Kasumi is going to kill me.” She groaned and settled back on her heels to see that the stain had soaked so deeply that even taking away a layer of wood hadn’t removed it.

The situation felt so hopeless. Her house was falling into squalor by her inability to perform simple everyday tasks, her father and Genma leaving their messes all over, and Happosai destroying anything the moment he was reminded that he could no longer bother women.

‘Kasumi always makes it look so easy, why is it so hard for me?’ She tossed the rag back into a bucket filled with soapy water dejectedly.

It wasn’t even noon yet and she could hear Happosai berating Genma about the spell Michiko had put on him. Demanding in drunken slurs for him to force his daughter to remove it. Genma had halfheartedly talked to Michiko about the issue but the tiefling had stood firm. ‘Too bad she couldn’t make him crawl back into whatever hole he crawled out of.’

A light and awkwardly paced knocking on the front door was a welcome distraction from her failures as a woman. ‘Why didn’t the bell chime?’ Her question was answered as she slid the door open and felt the blast of cold air come rushing in.

“Michiko?” She asked hesitantly, barely being able to see the tiefling’s black eyes as her head was wrapped completely in a red scarf. Thick layers covered her body, making her nearly three times as large as she normally was. A black cloak was draped over her wings and the girl’s tail was covered in a sleeve.There was a muffled response and a nod from the girl.

“Do you want to come in?” Akane asked and stepped aside. An emphatic nod was Michiko’s response as she quickly tottered inside, her legs unable to bend properly due to the bulky clothing. The temperature had taken a nose dive to below freezing and with it came several centimeters of snow but it wasn’t anything that warranted the clothing Michiko now wore.

Closing the door behind the tiefling, she watched as Michiko struggled to bring her mittened hands up to pull away her scarf. “Let me.” Akane offered and unwrapped the girl’s face.

“Thanks.” Michiko smiled brightly as her face was revealed.

“Why are you dressed like this?” She asked with a barely restrained snicker, pulling off the cloak to hang off to the side.

“Cause it’s so cold outside!” The younger girl animatedly waved her arms about. “And all that-- frozen white stuff! How do mortals deal with all this?”

“Not like this.” She answered in amusement and began to help Michiko remove her outermost layer. “Not even when we get over a meter of snow.”

“No way!” Michiko exclaimed dramatically and fell into her, causing Akane to automatically catch the girl under her arms. “That doesn’t happen does it?” She asked in horror, staring up at her with wide eyes.

“Every few years it does.” She smiled nervously at the contact and pushed the girl back into a standing position before helping her remove the extra layers. Michiko was wearing a thick long sleeved green tunic fitted to her form and a darker green set of slacks. “So you do wear normal clothes.” Akane joked, having only seen the tiefling wear overly skimpy outfits.

“Mom didn’t want me to freeze.” Michiko backed away a step, while rapidly running her hands through her hair to try and straighten out the frizz. “I look good though, right?” The dark haired girl asked in concern, tugging worriedly at the bottom of her tunic.

Akane wanted to fume at Ranma’s sister who made anything she wore look cute or sexy, except she seemed genuinely worried about looking unattractive in her new garb. ‘Can definitely tell those two are related.’

“Why is there a bucket on the floor?” Michiko asked before Akane could form a thoughtful response, the girl leaning slightly to the side to see down the hallway.

“Happosai made another mess. I was trying to get it out.” Akane admitted, immediately trying to think up ways to direct Michiko away from her failed cleaning attempt.

“Are you practicing something? I mean, shouldn’t your men take care of this?” The tiefling asked curiously.

Akane didn’t immediately realize what Michiko had meant but eventually she realized what had been implied. “My father and uncle Saotome aren’t-- my men.” She explained. ‘It would make things significantly easier if they were though.’

“But you all live together, shouldn’t they at least earn their keep?” Michiko asked in confusion.

“Yes but-- well-- I volunteered to take care of the house for Kasumi. It’s my responsibility.” Akane answered, agreeing that the two who made the mess should really be the ones to clean it up.

“I could help.” The younger girl offered helpfully and clasped her hands behind her back, with her tail playfully flicking back and forth.

“If you know how.” She gestured towards the hall, chewing on her lip uncertainly. Akane had found out that Michiko was excellent in the kitchen for her young age. But it seemed quite odd for someone raised as a succubus to also be good at something requiring physical work.

“Sure do.” The dark haired tiefling chirped, excitedly clapping her hands together before skipping over to where that particular stain had embedded into the floor.

“So you know how to cook-- and clean?” Akane frowned as she watched Michiko kneel down to rub her hands together.

Michiko nodded and whispered a chant under her breath. Lowering her right hand to hover just over top the wood, she made wiping motions from left to right, the stain vanishing as she went. “I don’t know anything that can fix the wood, though.” She added hopping up to her feet. “Mom always says that a Succubus must know how to take care of herself. But a proper Succubus should never ever need to.” The half demon explained glibly.

“That’s a nice choice to have.” Her shoulders slumped, whenever she finally found someone to marry she would be expected to take care of the home.

“What’s that mean?” Michiko asked without comprehension to Akane’s cryptic statement, pure black eyes looking into her own for an answer.

“Well--.” Akane looked away from the inhuman eyes, uncomfortable with how Michiko reminded her of her sister. “It’s complicated.”

“You can tell me, if you want.” Michiko came in close to grab Akane’s left hand tenderly. “I came to spend some time with you today, is that alright?”

“Of course.” She nervously blushed and pulled her hands away from the younger girl.

LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:19 am

Maybe Happosai could try the crouch of the wild tiger or try and bribe Michiko to remove the curse. I'm more surprised the house is still standing when I remember all the annoying things he did in the anime when he was angry with Ranma.

A question about the prvious snippet. Aren't there any spells that could restore Kiima's arm?

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 am

Dumbledork wrote:Maybe Happosai could try the crouch of the wild tiger or try and bribe Michiko to remove the curse. I'm more surprised the house is still standing when I remember all the annoying things he did in the anime when he was angry with Ranma.

Well he can't go out and get any gropes in so he's more like himself during the woman repellent arc since he's cut off. Except the moment he even looks at Akane or Nabiki with any kind of ill intent he gets zapped by the spell.

A question about the prvious snippet. Aren't there any spells that could restore Kiima's arm?

If there are, it'd be well beyond anyone on the islands ability to do. And the island is basically her whole world so... impossible. The rules on healing I've left mostly indistinct aside from it being a traumatic process that gets worse depending on the severity of a wound. Healing her internal injuries would have been walking an exceptionally fine line, trying to force a limb back into existence would have been too much of a shock to her system.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Darn I was hoping for a new chapter or atleast part of the chapter but at least ots good to see that you ARE still there
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm

HopeSeiketsu wrote:Darn I was hoping for a new chapter or atleast part of the chapter but at least ots good to see that you ARE still there

But I did post more of the chapter. :|

Oh well, have some of the scene i'm working on. Ranma getting her fat loot.

--------

Ranma landed from her long flight heavily in a crouch, at the same time letting Kasumi out of her arms. 'I forgot how much that took out of me.' She grinned cockily at her former cargo to try and stave off any questions about how she was doing. It was easy to fly by herself but the added burden of carrying Kasumi had nearly made her drop from the sky.

"I'm tired, too." Pepa gasped and wheezed, collapsing onto a ledge of rock nearby. The fairy had decided to fly all the way by herself.

"But I'm not tired." She protested weakly, feeling the cool wind as it attempted to freeze the layer of sweat glistening on her face.

And then there was the harsh extremely hot winds that came down from the volcano along with all the noxious fumes it produced. Even with her enchanted cloak helping to regulate her temperature, she was stuck for the moment alternating between uncomfortably warm and dreadfully cold.

"Thank you, Ranma. That was amazing." Kasumi sighed and looked back the way they had come. "The airship was wonderful but that was--." The larger tiefling trailed off, unable to choose a word to describe her feelings.

"I do like having wings." She admitted with only the tiniest feeling of shame.

"Why did you want to come here, though?" Kasumi asked, looking around their place on the side of the volcano doubtfully. "It doesn't feel right at all."

"I know." Ranma nodded, feeling the lingering pressure of all the evil magic that had been concentrated in this one area. It would be a long time before Ladon's influence ever truly vanished, if it could be removed at all.

Pepa appeared at the corner of her vision to land on her shoulder, looking uncomfortable being so deep into the infernal aura, her bodies brightness fluctuating more than normal. Ranma pulled up her hood slightly to help with the wind, and to subtly create a little alcove for the fairy.

"I think its around here." She indicated an outcropping just a short distance away where the cave should be. There had been no time to leave a marker or memorize the way it looked in her desperate flight away from the volcano back to Lutansk. Easily finding spots to step, she made her way quickly to where only a small human sized tunnel was burrowed through the rock, its opening hidden underneath an overhang of sharp black stone. "Ah! Here!" She announced, looking back to see that Kasumi was having a far more difficult time with the crossing.

"Ooh! What's in there?" Pepa asked with intense curiosity, fluttering around the entrance without ever going inside.

"You doing alright, Kasumi?" Ranma tried to raise her voice but still couldn't get it much past her normal speaking level. 'Ugh! This is annoying!'

"I'm fine. I'm just not as-- sure footed as you are." The dragon tiefling smiled genially but Ranma caught her glance down at her hooves.

"Um, right." She nodded, shuffling her feet in the dirt somewhat embarrassed for even that amount of attention being given to their deformity. Holding out her hand, she helped Kasumi up onto the tiny platform just outside of the tunnel. “Maybe I should have had you change into something else. Forgot that we have to crawl a bit.”

“You’ve seen me gardening, I’m not afraid to get my hands and knees a little dirty.” The golden haired tiefling turned back toward the city far across the open plane covered in a fresh layer of snow. It was hard to see the damage to the exterior wall from this distance over the bright gleam of sunlight reflected off the white painted stone. “It really is pretty to look at.”

“Is it?” Pepa asked, back to hovering near Ranma’s shoulder. “There’s only one color, though.”

“How many colors doesn’t matter, Pepa.” Kasumi told the fairy patiently.

“Too bad it’s run by a bunch of morons.” Ranma answered, seeing nothing but the rot of corruption. That Dorik and several of his flunkies had met their ends at the hands of Ladon’s assassins during the siege was a small consolation after what he had done.

Ranma felt a tiny shiver run down her tail and the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, feeling like someone was watching from nearby. Her eyes quickly darted around the near vertical face of the mountain, searching for any signs of movement.

“Ranma, are you alright? You’re not having any problems breathing are you?” Kasumi asked worriedly and moved closer.

“I’m good-- just got the feeling like someone was watching.” Shrugging away the ridiculous thought, Ranma stuffed the front corners of her cloak into her pants so it would stay out of the way. “Ready?”

“Are you sure that it’s just a feeling? We still don’t know what happened to the last of Ladon’s children.” Kasumi’s golden eyes scanned the rocks as well. “Call out and see if they’ll give themselves up.”

“What?” Ranma looked at her former fiancee like she had grown a second head.

“Don’t they deserve a chance? Maybe they’re reasonable?” The blonde tieflings jaw was set tight, desperate for her statement to be true.

“Sorry, Kasumi. But his eldest hated him and she still chose to kill me over helping me against him.” She pointed out sadly, the nameless woman’s last moments flashing in front of her vision again. “Sides, If they were in any way sane they wouldn’t be skulking around here.” As if to punctuate her statement, the volcano rumbled loudly, and sent a tremor vibrating through the ground.

“Maybe we should talk about this later?” Ranma looked doubtfully up at the collapsed volcano, noticing Pepa nodding enthusiastically out of the corner of her eye.

“Agreed. So what do we do first? I’ve never been on an adventure before.” Kasumi asked eagerly, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet in excitement.

‘We were on an adventure just to get to Lutansk.’ Ranma mentally shrugged having long ago explained to Kasumi that the majority of an adventurer's life was boring travel. “Just follow me, at the end there’s a drop so I’ll need to carry you down.”
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Stories and C&C