Cliched Fantasy 15

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or even fanfiction. All completed /ready-for0review longform creative writing allowed. No posting of individual scenes; that is what the Outlines and Scenes section is for.Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Cliched Fantasy 15

Postby HopeSeiketsu » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:31 pm

LawOhki: But I did post more of the chapter. :|

Ah right my bad( sheepishly rubs back of head) for some reason I didn't realize that was new... my bad heheh
Also THANKS for the extra bit it really is nice to know that ranma is going after Ladons Hoard I had almost forgotten about that
HopeSeiketsu
Senshi Cadet

Postby Munchkin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:57 am

Glad to see this is being continued!

One thing from this section caught my eye though:

LawOhki wrote:“Agreed. So what do we do first? I’ve never been on an adventure before.” Kasumi asked eagerly, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet in excitement.

She has hooves, so I'm not sure she has 'balls of her feet'. Not sure what the alternative could be though.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:29 am

HopeSeiketsu wrote:LawOhki: But I did post more of the chapter. :|

Ah right my bad( sheepishly rubs back of head) for some reason I didn't realize that was new... my bad heheh
Also THANKS for the extra bit it really is nice to know that ranma is going after Ladons Hoard I had almost forgotten about that

Genma will get nothing! :twisted:

Wanted to get some mention that there is still another of Ladon's kids out there as well as hint that there's still lingering effects of the mind control spell. Like with how Ranma lied to Favian about it never happening in the last chapter.
Munchkin wrote:Glad to see this is being continued!

One thing from this section caught my eye though:

She has hooves, so I'm not sure she has 'balls of her feet'. Not sure what the alternative could be though.

That's Kasumi bouncing. She's already on her first travel adventure, now she gets to go on her first adventure into a volcano lair?! A lair?! SQQQUUUUEE!
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:01 am

I had almost forgot about poor Kuno. Revised portion of the loot and the finishing of the scene.

------

Kuno Tatewaki fell heavily against a moss covered tree and slid lifelessly to the forest floor. How long had he been searching for his Goddess? Weeks? Months? It was impossible to tell, the sun never set here, instead it made a wide circular arc in the sky. The shadows were always dancing, making him weary of any darkness that would stretch too close. (1)

He hated to question her, but he could not fathom why Mico had tasked him with finding her in such a bleak and dark landscape. An endless maze of trees that he felt no closer to exiting then when he had arrived. If that wasn’t bad enough, the only sounds that filled the air was the rustling of leaves, and the creak of trees. Rarely he would catch sight of one of Mico’s attendants, fairies made of various colored light flittering about, beyond reach, and vanished before he could get closer.

He couldn’t keep his eyes open and only realized that he had dozed off when he awoke with a jerk. Calming down, he tried to get himself more comfortable before getting some sleep. Rubbing his arms together, he felt the results of his lack of food and water. When he had arrived he had been the picture of youth and manly vitality. Not now though, he was a weak and shriveled thing, kept alive by Mico’s mercy as he sought her out.

His hunger and thirst were cruel temptations that gnawed at him constantly but he dare not drink from the many ponds and streams that he came across. Kuno’s magical knowledge was quite limited outside of the spells Mico had given him but even he could tell that every drop of water was saturated with something he wanted no part of. Some time ago he had been ready to brave the consequences up until he had seen his reflection change in the water, becoming a grizzlybear.

‘Transformation magic.’ He would have laughed at the irony of facing the same danger that his brave friend Ranma had come across if he wasn’t dying from it.

zx

Ranma landed from her long flight heavily in a crouch, at the same time letting Kasumi out of her arms. 'I forgot how much that took out of me.' She grinned cockily at her former cargo to try and stave off any questions about how she was doing. It was easy to fly by herself but the added burden of carrying Kasumi had nearly made her drop from the sky.

"I'm tired, too." Pepa gasped and wheezed, collapsing onto a ledge of rock nearby. The fairy had decided to fly all the way by herself.

"But I'm not tired." She protested weakly, feeling the cool wind as it attempted to freeze the layer of sweat glistening on her face.

And then there was the harsh extremely hot winds that came down from the volcano along with all the noxious fumes it produced. Even with her enchanted cloak helping to regulate her temperature, she was stuck for the moment alternating between uncomfortably warm and dreadfully cold.

"Thank you, Ranma. That was amazing." Kasumi sighed and looked back the way they had come. "The airship was wonderful but that was--." The larger tiefling trailed off, unable to choose a word to describe her feelings.

"I do like having wings." She admitted with only the tiniest feeling of shame.

"Why did you want to come here, though?" Kasumi asked, looking around their place on the side of the volcano doubtfully. "It doesn't feel right at all."

"I know." Ranma nodded, feeling the lingering pressure of all the evil magic that had been concentrated in this one area. It would be a long time before Ladon's influence ever truly vanished, if it could be removed at all.

Pepa appeared at the corner of her vision to land on her shoulder, looking uncomfortable being so deep into the infernal aura, her bodies brightness fluctuating more than normal. Ranma pulled up her hood slightly to help with the wind, and to subtly create a little alcove for the fairy.

"I think its around here." She indicated an outcropping just a short distance away where the cave should be. There had been no time to leave a marker or memorize the way it looked in her desperate flight away from the volcano back to Lutansk. Easily finding spots to step, she made her way quickly to where only a small human sized tunnel was burrowed through the rock, its opening hidden underneath an overhang of sharp black stone. "Ah! Here!" She announced, looking back to see that Kasumi was having a far more difficult time with the crossing.

"Ooh! What's in there?" Pepa asked with intense curiosity, fluttering around the entrance without ever going inside.

"You doing alright, Kasumi?" Ranma tried to raise her voice but still couldn't get it much past her normal speaking level. 'Ugh! This is annoying!'

"I'm fine. I'm just not as-- sure footed as you are." The dragon tiefling smiled genially but Ranma caught her glance down at her hooves.

"Um, right." She nodded, shuffling her feet in the dirt somewhat embarrassed for even that amount of attention being given to their deformity. Holding out her hand, she helped Kasumi up onto the tiny platform just outside of the tunnel. “Maybe I should have had you change into something else. Forgot that we have to crawl a bit.”

“You’ve seen me gardening, I’m not afraid to get my hands and knees a little dirty.” The golden haired tiefling turned back toward the city far across the open plane covered in a fresh layer of snow. It was hard to see the damage to the exterior wall from this distance over the bright gleam of sunlight reflected off the white painted stone. “It really is pretty to look at.”

“Is it?” Pepa asked, back to hovering near Ranma’s shoulder. “There’s only one color, though.”

“How many colors doesn’t matter, Pepa.” Kasumi told the fairy patiently.

“Too bad it’s run by a bunch of morons.” Ranma answered, seeing nothing but the rot of corruption. That Dorik and several of his flunkies had met their ends at the hands of Ladon’s assassins during the siege was a small consolation after what he had done to her.

Ranma felt a tiny shiver run down her tail and the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, feeling like someone was watching from nearby. Her eyes quickly darted around the near vertical face of the mountain, searching for any signs of movement.

“Ranma, are you alright? You’re not having any problems breathing are you?” Kasumi asked worriedly and moved closer.

“I’m good-- just got the feeling like someone was watching.” Shrugging away the ridiculous thought, Ranma stuffed the front corners of her cloak into her pants so it would stay out of the way. “Ready?”

“Are you sure that it’s just a feeling? We still don’t know what happened to the last of Ladon’s children.” Kasumi’s golden eyes scanned the rocks as well. “Call out and see if they’ll give themselves up.”

“What?” Ranma looked at her former fiancee like she had grown a second head.

“Don’t they deserve a chance? Maybe they’re reasonable?” The blonde tieflings jaw was set tight, desperate for her statement to be true.

“Sorry, Kasumi. But his eldest hated him and she still chose to kill me over helping me against him.” She pointed out sadly, the nameless woman’s last moments flashing in front of her vision again. “Sides, If they were in any way sane they wouldn’t be skulking around here.” As if to punctuate her statement, the volcano rumbled loudly, and sent a tremor vibrating through the ground.

“Maybe we should talk about this later?” Ranma looked doubtfully up at the collapsed volcano, noticing Pepa nodding enthusiastically out of the corner of her eye.

“Agreed. So what do we do first? I’ve never been on an adventure before.” Kasumi asked eagerly, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet in excitement.

‘We were on an adventure just to get to Lutansk.’ Ranma mentally shrugged having long ago explained to Kasumi that the majority of an adventurer's life was boring travel. “Just follow me, at the end there’s a drop so I’ll need to carry you down.” Casting a light spell to hover in front of her, she crawled inside.

The tunnel was large enough to easily fit through but she still had to crawl on her hands and knees across the sharp stones, and her wings would occasionally bump against the sides. After approximately five meters the tunnel made a sharp downward angle that led to a drop down to the room fifteen meters below. Shuffling herself to sit on the edge, Ranma let Kasumi squeeze in next to her.

“Ready?” She asked and put an arm around Kasumi. The other Tiefling nodded somewhat hesitantly, eyes never leaving the floor below. “Hang on.” She instructed and pulled her over the lip. There was a brief moment of freefall before she could spread her wings and Kasumi nearly crushed her in panic before Ranma could begin to glide them gently to the floor. Landing she immediately cast a much larger light spell in the center of the room to illuminate the massive amount of precious metals and gemstones contained within.

"You can let go now." Ranma gently placed a hand on Kasumi's own when the larger girl remained locked onto her. The blonde nodded but didn't take her eyes off the gleaming treasure stretched out before them.

"This is--." Kasumi gasped, staggering from shock to lean on her shoulders.

"Ladon's hoard." Ranma summarized as Pepa left the inside of her cloak to float nearby.

"Neat." Pepa added and zipped forward and to the ground to poke at a blue gemstone nestled between coins. "What's a hoard do?" She asked cluelessly.

"It's money-- a lot of money." Ranma answered, her eyes lingering on several book shelves she had missed before hidden in a small alcove to the side. "And ancient knowledge which is even better than money." She left Kasumi's side, opening her wings to leap forward clearing the distance to the small library in a single bound. Feeling strongly that this was where something very important was kept. Something that she needed to have right now.

"Ranma, what's over there?" Kasumi called out in concern.

"Lots of books." She answered quickly and hastily dug out an empty bag of holding to start shoving the ancient tomes inside. As she was busy putting them away, she heard the jingling of Kasumi's steps as the older Tiefling made her way across the sea of gold.

"What are we going to do with all this?" The blonde asked, opening a smaller book bound in thick leather to pick through the pages. Pepa peaked over her shoulder to look as well. "Spells, but it's all in some weird language."

"I think grabbing as much as we can before the volcano gets any more unstable is a pretty good thing to do first off." Ranma answered giddily. She would be able to pay off any outstanding debts hanging over her head or her old man's. She could afford to speak to the most knowledgeable magic users out there.

"But there's so much." Kasumi stared doubtfully at her. "Nobody could need all this."

"I know, that's why I want you to have some, and then we'll give the rest to the Phoenix-- even Kiima if she apologizes." Ranma explained, having been thinking about what to do with all this wealth since waking up in the hospital. "The city can have some to help rebuild, your family, and I guess my Pop too."

“Do I get anything?” Pepa asked hopefully, having been quiet since her earlier question.

Ranma paused and regarded the spell creature, having completely forgotten that she may feel left out, or would even care. “Sure, what did you want?”

“I don’t know.” Pepa crossed her arms and put a single finger to her lips. “Can I think about it?”

“Of course.” Kasumi answered with an amused smile before turning to her. "You're really not thinking to keep it all for yourself?" The blonde Tiefling asked her incredulously, kneeling down to pick up handfuls of gold to let run through her fingers.

"That thought crossed my mind." She admitted and felt her cheeks heat up, feeling shame at being so monumentally selfish.

"Oh that's good, it's not just me." Kasumi sighed in relief before laughing nervously.

"Oh?" Ranma knelt down and glanced slyly over towards the taller girl.

"Well, I am descended from a dragon." She laughed even more awkwardly, tail swishing side to side through coins, and burrowing down as though to bury itself. Picking up a single coin, the blonde held it up to her ear in confusion.

“What is it?” Ranma looked at Kasumi quizzically.

“Can you hear that?” She held the coin out to her with one hand and picked up a second to hold to her ear with the other. “It’s like someone is singing. This one is doing it too. So pretty--.” The dragon tiefling sighed.

“Ooh, what is?” Pepa swung around next to Kasumi’s ear to try and hear.

“Hmm, guess it’s true what they say about dragons and gold.” Ranma chuckled, hearing nothing from the coin Kasumi was insistently shoving at her.

“They say what?” Kasumi asked quickly in irritation, finding offense at the comparison.

“I just meant--.” Ranma stuttered, realizing her faux pas, and how similar it was to Kiima’s earlier remarks. “It’s-- said that dragons hear gold singing. And since you have some dragon ancestry-- maybe that’s why you hear something. That’s all-- sorry.” She bowed her head in shame at her careless comment.

“I didn’t know that.” The blonde patted her on the shoulder before hesitantly putting one of the coins in a pocket of her skirt. “Sorry I snapped at you. I was always too embarrassed and scared to learn anything about Dragons.”

“I should have said it better.” She admitted and reached up to grab Kasumi’s hand. "Let’s find some more good stuff."

“Sure." Kasumi nodded eagerly.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:31 am

Oh yeah, Kuno. I completely forgot about him after all this time. Interesting to see some of Kasumi's dragon heritage coming to front when she sees all those riches.

Ranma found a lot of books. How about magical weapons and armor? Any of that there?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:00 am

Dumbledork wrote:Oh yeah, Kuno. I completely forgot about him after all this time.

He's been there since chapter 5, poor bugger he was better off never starting. :twisted: His real meeting with Mico is already 90% written, just need to do the conclusion where she gives him a blessing.

Interesting to see some of Kasumi's dragon heritage coming to front when she sees all those riches

Was Frice's idea to have gold sing to a dragon's ear. I liked it and it let's me get out some more details and show off more of Kasumi finding out more about herself, having spent her entire life avoiding the issue.

Ranma found a lot of books. How about magical weapons and armor? Any of that there?

Probably a few of them but armor/weapons are kind of a personal thing. Ranma is going to end up wearing some small unassuming pauldrons along with some little bits here and there all heavily enchanted so she can wear otherwise normal clothing but still get some kind of built in protection.

A small bonus, but here's a reasonably accurate representation of how I view a younger Favian.
http://kuremushi.deviantart.com/art/21046-800-437846936
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:37 am

Niceupdate. Totaly forgot, but what happened to kuno anyway?
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:05 am

ckosacranoid wrote:Niceupdate. Totaly forgot, but what happened to kuno anyway?

Due to the increase calling of power from her, activity that included the creation of Pepa, Kuno became personally known to his goddess Mico who has decided to use him for her own purposes. After he's gone through a trial and she fixes him.

After all, Mico is an embodiment of Temple's worse habits :twisted: When starting the story I did offer to give him input on the character that would have made Mico have a bigger part but he wasn't interested. So she's been relegated to a background influence up until this point. That and I'm really really bad at coming up with frilly dresses.

Pepa upon her original formation was actually directly powered by Mico, and was even used as a mouthpiece in chapter 5 to send Kuno to Mico's personal dimension. But after Pepa decided to go dream diving into Ranma in chapter 8, she lost that connection and is supporting herself/kind of became Ranma's familiar.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:07 am

Ok thanks.
Buy the way, whats up with the very weird anime thing in your sig anyway? Just very weird to the scouts reactions to something?
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:00 am

ckosacranoid wrote:Ok thanks.
Buy the way, whats up with the very weird anime thing in your sig anyway? Just very weird to the scouts reactions to something?

It's from episode 173, there's a crowd that they are jumping up to see above to catch sight of some celebrities.

Link to the scene, cause it's adorable.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Ok, now it makes sence for that gif you have, thanks.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:32 am

Still working on a scene with Ranma/Kasumi/Favian getting an invite to a big party to celebrate with some nobles but here's the first appearance of Mico.

-------

Tatewaki found himself staring at his reflection in a small pond. The image that he saw wasn't of his handsome self but an impressively large tiger with thick fluffy fur. While the creature was majestic and regal in appearance, he couldn't help but notice that it also looked more juvenile as though it was a large kitten.

'I could live with that.' He rationalized, his thirst overcoming his wariness towards the magical water. Most of the animals he saw reflected these days were quite cute and harmless. If he was to be cursed then it should be into a form he could be proud of.

Not for the first time he wondered if he had been tricked by some evil spirit, using the name of his beloved Goddess to lure him to this place. The warmth and light of Mico was not here. He would never find her in this place and would end up slowly going insane.

His eyes shifted to the left, seeing the sun's reflection in the tranquil pool, appearing as though peering over his shoulder. It was the only thing in this forsaken forest that reminded him of her. "I'm sorry, my Goddess." He sank to his knees in the mud, feeling so tired that he believed he would never rise again. "I fear I was not up to your task." He spoke upwards and squinted his eyes closed as he stared at the sun. It seemed as though the light grew in intensity as he acknowledged the glowing orb.

Dropping his head, he licked his parched lips, and bent forward to gather some of the cool liquid within his hands. 'Tis better to cut to the chase and not prolong the inevitable.' He rationalized and drew his withered hands up to his face.

Soft and gentle hands gripped his own stopping him from taking in the magic water. He stared in amazement and let the water slip through his fingers back to the pond below. Slowly he turned to the figure standing to his left with dozens of multi-colored light fairies hovering behind her creating a halo of light. Fiery red hair fell behind her like a cloak to dance along the forest floor, intricate braids wove through unbound sections creating a complex pattern he didn't recognize. Sprouting from her back and held high and alert were great bird wings with feathers that were a mesmerizing mix of iridescent blues and greens with round eye shapes at the tips. (?)

Dancing up a skin tight sheer shoulderless gown that trailed behind her were golden flowers, vines, and leaves that barely hid the exquisite form underneath. For an infinitely small time he thought he recognized Saotome's enchanted form before he was caught by the woman's purple eyes that glowed with a visible aura.

"My-- Goddess?" He hazarded to ask hopefully, his voice coming out in a harsh whisper.

“You’ve suffered much in your life.” Her voice was soft and sweet, with a subtle undercurrent of power emphasizing every word. She raised her left hand and magic sparkles swirled into her palm forming a golden chalice polished to a mirror shine.

“I’ll now bestow upon you a blessing for your efforts.” Several of the attendant fairies came forth carrying a gold pitcher to pour a thick honey colored liquid into the chalice. “Take.” She extended her hand forward halfway, expecting him to meet her halfway.

Tatewaki stared enraptured by the offered chalice, so transfixed by a gift from his Goddess that he only dimly realized that he had reached his hands out to take it from her. Mico’s purple eyes watched him expectantly, hyper focused on his every move. Raising the chalice up to his lips, he hesitated, unable to stop himself from being apprehensive over her intense clinical gaze.

The intoxicating sweet smell of the liquid erased all doubts and he raised the chalice. He almost fell backwards as the taste assaulted his tongue. Liquid fire tore through his mouth and set his throat ablaze as it raced downwards. Dimly he noticed that the cup was now empty but his hands clutched it so tightly that the metal was being bent. He felt so wonderfully calm as the intense warmth spread throughout his entire body.

More of Mico’s attendants arrived and featherlight touches accompanied them fluttering in to surround him. Their multi-colored forms began to glow brightly and filaments spread out to intertwine, cocooning him within. All at once, the weakness he had fought for so long caught up with him, and he fell to the side succumbing to his Goddess’ magic.

----

? - Peacock tail feathers

Obviously this does not end well for Kuno. I'm not sure if I want to do it or not but give Mico a little group of former playtoys she grew bored with who are either so enthralled with what she did to them that they are fanatically devoted to her, or just live in constant fear of not being seen as loyal. (Much like the twilight zone episode 'It's a good Life')

Mico is the "big bad" of this story so I'd like for her to be reasonably memorable anytime she's on screen.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:05 am

Don't remember Mico at all. In what chapter did she appear?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am

Dumbledork wrote:Don't remember Mico at all. In what chapter did she appear?

This is the first legitimate time where she has appeared. Been mentioned as the goddess that Kuno follows before. Chapter 3 has a hint when Pepa first pulls herself together and she starts drawing power from her that Mico turned her gaze at her.

I would have had her more active but since any god or their demon counterparts are so immensely powerful I can't have them be too active in the story. Mico especially is going to be very alien in how she interacts with others. She's a goddess who's surrounded herself with things she likes on a plane of existence just for her own whims and pleasures. And keep in mind she's supposed to be a combination of Temple's favorite tropes. So she enjoys her transformations, mind rape, and hedonism.

For a long time I've considered chopping Mico out entirely or turning her into a full on joke parody based on how Temple has seemed to have gone even further off the deep end. But I've decided that I won't cut out what's been a slow build up since the first chapter nor give him the satisfaction of having his lies that I'm just making the character to mock him be true.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 am

Genma crouched stealthily outside of Akane’s room, listening intently as his estranged daughter chatted animatedly with the youngest Tendo daughter. It hurt to know that he had missed out on Michiko’s entire life. Even if she was a Succubus, Nodoka could have at least mentioned that they had conceived a second child. He could have sent birthday gifts when he could afford it. Not like raising Ranma on his own had been easy, even when he did get help.

‘She must take after me, Nodoka never would have stood up to Happosai like that.’ He thought proudly and puffed up his chest before immediately deflating. He didn’t know much if anything about his daughter and his son had ran off without him. Some father he had turned out to be.

Slim arms gently encircled his neck from behind as a curvy form pressed into him. “Anything interesting happening inside?” Nodoka whispered in his ear, her gentle feminine perfume slowly invading his nose.

“They’re getting along.” He answered, reaching up to hold her hands.

“It’s wonderful that Michiko has made a friend but it will make things harder for when we return home.”

“So stay on this plane.” He gently rubbed his thumb against her smooth skin.

“Silly man.” Nodoka purred while nuzzling her head against his neck. “You know there’s no place for demons among mortals.”

“Then why are you here?” Genma stood up and turned around to face the Succubus.

Her beautiful blue eyes twinkled in amusement as she stepped forward to lean against his chest. “I was wondering if you would come over to enjoy the evening with me?”

‘Why can’t I ever say no?’ He sighed and nodded his head. Nodoka was using him in what would be the most pleasurable way possible. Maybe someday he would be able to decline but today was not that day.

zx

Akane purposely blocked out the mental image of Genma and Nodoka and the kinds of activities the two would be partaking in, having overheard the tail end of their conversation outside of her door.

(akane kind of summarizes michiko’s school system in moderate horror)

zx

Inside his library, Favian leafed through a book with complete disinterest in the content before roughly dropping it on the table to his left. Leaning back in his chair with a sigh, he stared forward blankly at the far wall. He had never thought that victory would weigh so heavily on his mind. Orchestrating the downfall of his brother, Ladon had consumed him and now he wasn’t sure what to fill his time with.

Soon enough his former students would leave to return home and he doubted that he could convince either to remain. Neither had enjoyed their time in Lutansk and at this point he was fed up with the city as well.

‘Preparations to move will be tiresome.’ He rubbed at his chin, irritated at the difficult and pricey process that he would need to endure with chartering an airship. ‘Not that an ocean going vessel would be any less expensive.’

Lutansk’s coastline was treacherous with jagged rocks lurking beneath the surface and unpredictable tides that often generated incredibly large waves. Adding to the difficulty of creating a dock for ships were the mountain ranges that surrounded much of the island. Few paths existed between the peaks and in winter were completely impassible. Not that this stopped someone from suggesting they attempt the momentous task of creating permanent roads to establish a port every summer.

‘I’ll have to start having my effects cataloged.’ He could probably have that done within a couple weeks but first he’d have to find a new residence. If everything went smoothly, he might be settled by summers end, hopefully in a much warmer climate.

A knock on the door broke him out of his considerations. “Come in.” He absently instructed and one of his maids stepped in, and came over to stand primly at his side.

“Lord Favian, Lady Ranma and Kasumi are here to see you.” She explained curtly.

“Of course, see them in.” He answered and nodded towards the young woman who left to bring the two to the library.

Sitting up straighter in his chair, he nervously picked at the fabric of his armrest. He trusted Kasumi but he remained worried she would tell Ranma about her ancestry. And considering Ranma’s interactions with his brother, he was rightly concerned with how she would react. Though the fact that she hadn’t barged in or blown up his house from the exterior made him feel reasonably safe. Even if he had ways of dealing with a Tiefling as powerful as Ranma, he would end up doing irreparable harm to her in order to do so. Something he couldn’t bring himself to do.

He was surprised at how happy the two Tieflings seemed as they came through the doorway. When he had last seen them, Ranma had been radiating a palpable aura of depression which had been affecting Kasumi. But now they were both all smiles. Even Pepa, who was perpetually positive seemed in remarkably good spirits.

“Has there been good news?” Favian asked in lieu of a greeting. More curious over what caused the change in attitude than simple pleasantries.

“There has.” Kasumi answered first, which was a tad unusual as she was the more reserved of the three.

“Today I get to pay you back for those bags of holding.” Ranma announced with a musical lilt to her voice, tail happily swinging side to side behind her.

“I really wasn’t that worried about repayment.” He slid to the edge of his chair, watching as Kasumi took a seat across from him, and Ranma knelt down at arms length away from his chair.

“Forty gold a piece, right?” She asked glibly and pulled out one of the bags of holding he had loaned her.

“Closer to fifty but yes.” He watched intently as she upturned the magical bag spilling gold out on the floor. Dozens then hundreds of coins clinked against each other, pooling into an ever larger mound of gold at his feet.

“Two hundred seems fair.” Ranma answered and sealed the bag back up before it emptied further and began to count.

“Hold-- hold on.” He leaned forward and stopped her by grabbing the redhead’s left hand, forgetting that she had said he wasn’t allowed to touch her. “Where did you get all of this?” There had to be over five hundred pieces of gold haphazardly spread out on his floor.

“Ladon won’t be needing it anymore.” The half succubus stated in a way that sounded both proud and sinister at the same time.

“You found his hoard.” Favian breathed out, remembering the vast treasure that he and Ladon had amassed in their long lives.

“It was incredible to see.” Kasumi added, reaching down to pick up a coin that had rolled next to her feet, and held it to her ear. “And because I’m part dragon, I can hear it singing.”

He smiled warmly at his great granddaughters enjoyment. There were many negatives to her ancestry so he was happy that she had found some small part to enjoy. “And what are you two to do with your newfound wealth?” He asked in amusement.

“I have a few ideas but nothing for certain yet.” Ranma answered, her hands blurring into motion as she started to count coins faster than he could follow.

“How should we handle it? Where should we store the coin? You know, to keep it-- safe?” Kasumi asked calmly even though her eyes darted nervously to the gold Ranma had finished counting.

“Since I know you’re going to be leaving within a month or two, I think you should be fine storing it in your apartment so long as it’s not out in the open. I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to break into your home to steal anything at this point. Though if you want, I do have some space here where it would be safe.” He offered helpfully, wanting to do as much as he could for one of his descendants.

"Please, tell me what it was like to see a dragon's hoard." He asked, feigning ignorance for Ranma's sake, already knowing full well what they would have found. He was just hearing about the small library of ancient books and scrolls that the two had come across when a soft knock at the door interrupted.

The same maid who had alerted him to Kasumi and Ranma took a step inside the door. “Lord Favian, there’s a messenger here to see you.”

He was tempted to send them away, not wanting to have this time with his granddaughter interrupted further. “Give us a minute.” He instructed and the young lady obediently stepped out. “Ranma, put that gold away.”

“But I just counted it.” The redhead whined and slumped her shoulders as she slowly started to shove the gold back into a bag of holding. Pepa began to giggle loudly in response, the fairy sitting on one of the largest coin stacks.

Ranma had just finished and taking a seat next to Kasumi when the door to the room opened again. Marching in purposefully was an immaculately dressed young man carrying a leather satchel tightly under his right arm. Stepping smartly up to stand between the seating, he came to an abrupt halt, and clapped his heels together.

“My lord.” The young man quickly bowed his head in Favian’s direction, completely ignoring the two Tieflings.

“Yes?” Favian asked casually and slouched backwards in his chair.

“I’m here on behalf of Lord Morri Seran.” The messenger introduced and pulled out an expensive looking letter from his satchel to hold out waiting to be taken. “This is his formal invitation for you to attend the gala he is holding to celebrate the death of the dread dragon, Ladon.”

“A celebration?” He leaned forward and took the waiting letter, his eyes drifting over to his granddaughter. Kasumi was sitting with her hands clasped in her lap, trying to look like she was waiting patiently for the young man to be done. Save for how the tip of her tail made quick tapping noises as it rapidly twitched back and forth against the floor. “I’m generally not one for such public forays.”

“But this is a very special occasion.” The messenger stressed heavily.

“So you say.” He remarked unimpressed, breaking the wax seal to break open the parchment and glanced at Ranma. “Will you also be inviting the one responsible for Ladon’s demise?” He asked.

“Of course, that is my next appointment.”

Pepa flew into view for the man and animatedly pointed behind him towards Ranma. “You don’t have to go anywhere, she’s right here.” The fairy happily announced.

“Thanks, Pepa.” Ranma grumbled looking away. The redhead had scrunched herself up making her look even smaller like she wanted to be overlooked and ignored. With her wings flattened against her back and her tail wrapped tightly around both legs.

“Welcome!” Pepa beamed, not picking up on the sarcasm. The spell creature then quickly flew over to sit behind Ranma on the back of the chair.

“Apologies, my lady.” The man stuttered, his face turning red in embarrassment, hastily digging into his bag. “I wasn’t expecting to see you. Obviously I should have been paying closer attention. Of course, here is your invitation.”

“Not interested.” Ranma answered plainly, making no move to take or push away the envelope.

“You’re-- not?”

“No, you assholes did your best to run me out of town. And now because I was useful you think I’m just going to forget?” The redhead scoffed and sat up straighter.

“Well-- um--.” The man’s mouth opened and closed as he attempted to form a response.

“Ranma, don’t be so hasty.” Favian butted in, quickly rising to his feet to take the invitation from the messenger, and purposely shove it into Ranma’s hands. “She’ll need some time to consider it.”

“Right, my lord. Stress I’m sure.” The man quickly nodded, giving Ranma further scrutiny but finding that she only glared at him defiantly.

“Stress-- yes. And does Miss Tendo also have an invitation buried in that bag of yours?” He asked, glancing towards his granddaughter who was waiting excitedly.

“Apologies Lord Favian, but I wasn’t given any other invitations.”

“In that case you can go tell your Lord, that neither Ranma or I will be attending without Miss Tendo.” He demanded, refusing to let Kasumi be left out.

“I will--.” The messenger quickly nodded his head. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll go relay your concern to him immediately.”

“Of course.” He answered, gesturing for his maid waiting patiently at the door to see his impromptu visitor out.

The moment the door closed, Ranma spoke up. “What do you think you’re doing?” She angrily snapped.

“Grandfather, if I wasn’t invited then I don’t want to go.” Kasumi added a half beat later.

“Grandfather?” Ranma turned to give Kasumi a questioning look while Pepa quickly flittered over to land on the arm of Kasumi’s chair.

“It’s a term of endearment.” The Tiefling answered uncertainly.

“Really?” The redhead asked cluelessly before shaking her head rapidly. “Whatever, I don’t want anything to do with these people.”

“This kind of thing isn’t really about what you want--.” He started while trying to sound as calm and collected as he could. “It’s an opportunity for you to make connections. They aren’t inviting you to be nice, it’s all politics. You should be taking advantage of this, there isn’t going to be a better opportunity to use all the goodwill you have from killing Ladon to ingratiate yourself to influential people who have influential friends back on the mainland. I know there is a brain underneath all that hair, use it.”

“I guess that makes a tiny amount of sense.” She remarked in half concession and crossed her arms irritably before instantly reaching up to brush back her long bangs. “And leave my hair out of this.”

“He has a good point, Ranma. And it would also be good for me to get out more.” Kasumi conceded to the red head and nervously tugged in her ponytail.

“I’ll think about it.” Ranma admitted weakly, clearly just wanting to be difficult and drag her hooves.

“If I have to suffer through it, both of you do as well.” He teased while returning to his seat. “Let’s forget about that unpleasantness, tell me about this hoard.”

Two hours later, Favian watched as his three guests took their leave while idly tapping his fingers on the armrest of his chair. In his other hand he held one of the gold coins Ranma had given to him in repayment for the bags of holding. If he was reading the coin properly it was gold from three hundred years ago, taken from a country called Clastos. Which if he recalled correctly had been a small nation off the far southern coast of the continent that had been destroyed by a hurricane.

It had been so long since he had heard the siren song of gold calling to him that he had almost forgotten. Staring at the coin for several minutes and hearing nothing from it, he carefully put the piece down. “I’m too old for dreams of gold.”
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Stories and C&C