PSP, UMD, and other portable stuff...

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Re: PSP, UMD, and other portable stuff...

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:22 am

My personal favorites for the PSP:

God of War: chains of olympus -- eye bleedingly good graphics and stellar gameplay.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max -- in my opinion, the best 2d fighter for the PSP.

Tekken 6 -- in all honesty, I dislike the franchise, but its a good port.

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 -- the genre is hard to place. Its a card game/tactics type game

Disgaea 1 and 2 -- similar to the PS2 versions, with some additions (Etna playthrough, for example)

Persona 3 -- awesome RPG

Jeanne D'Arc -- very nice tactics game.

Gradius collection -- if you like gradius, that is. Based on the arcade versions of the games, not the home version. Very, very hard even on easiest level.

Macross Ace Frontier -- bad controls and camera angles and stupidly hard EX missions... but still, you're piloting a veritech!

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep -- Aqua's hot. Good gameplay, but a bit too easy in the action sequences and the board game is dull. Tip: don't play easy mode (despite what it says, its the hardest mode to get the true ending)

I suggest against:

Darkstalker chronicles -- bad controls. Well, not BAD, but certainly worse than SF Alpha 3.
Guilty Gear XX Reload -- worse controls; after two months playing it I still couldn't do a lot of moves with consistency.
Viewtiful Joe -- horrible, horrible graphics and an AI that cheats up the wingwang
EA replay -- god, I regret this. "It has SYNDICATE and Wing Commander!" Yes it does. The SNES versions of those games, which are horrible. And the controls are just bad.
Final Fantasy Tactics -- while this is FFT, which is an ok game, the PSP port is sloooooooooow. I'm talking about an attack taking 5 seconds or so to animate, worse with spells. Simply rotating the screen makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:40 pm

My personal favorite on the PSP: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar Eternal Blue Complete. Last two come from PS1 rips from Modding it (all clean tools in this handy link). This is really something you should do. Makes it an emulation powerhouse of a system. Requires nothing other then running a program or two. Do it you won't regret it. It doesn't mean you have to pirate stuff either, just lets you grab the stuff you used to have if you want to be ethical about it.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:14 pm

I just finished the main story of ZHP: Unlosing Ranger X Darkdeath Evilman.

I have this to say:

It was AWESOME.

Seriously, during the story mode scenes I was in a state of manly, manly tears most of the time. There's so much hot blood it scalded. It is bar none my favorite Nippon Ichi game story-wise. Humor is top-notch.

Game is a bit too easy and simplified, though (compared to most roguelikes). Some people, especially those use to regular JRPGs might find it too punishingly difficult (if you die or reset the PSP, you lose all your items and gold and go back to level 1). Check out the 1/10 review in GAMEFAQS, which is fairly accurate. Once I was in a dungeon after a couple of hours of exploring, walked into a shop, picked up a few things, stepped on a _hidden_ log trap which booted me out of the shop, then got swarmed by level 9999 dragons and promptly died (remember, dying or resetting means losing all your items and gold).

But for a rogue-like, its one of the _easiest_ I've played. Sure, you lose stuff, but items drop like rain anyway and you retain your buffs (you're level 1, but you're a pretty mighty level 1). Too much farming (for XP and items needed) -- to assault a high level dungeon, you have to farm items from lover level dungeons.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Games