Do you like action with your MMORPG?

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Do you like action with your MMORPG?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I do. I like using controllers, damn it! And I think it's dumb when your character just stands there attacking mindlessly and repetitiously with stats determining if you get hit, dodge or block. Using your own skill makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately, to date, the only game remotely like that, that I've played, was Dragonica. Now I'm waiting for Tera Online to come out, and I hope it doesn't disappoint because I'm getting sick and tired of waiting for a new Tales title that isn't on a bloody handheld. ARGH! >_<
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Do you like action with your MMORPG?

Postby frice2000 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Controllers? In an MMO and thus likely a PC game? Ick, although my favorite control method for FPS was a 3D ball called a Panther XL but literally almost no one else liked that method at all :P. Anyway, I really don't like something as inactive as WoW's system (though that was until Wrath arguably the best MMO put out at least in my opinion), but something overly active and positional isn't my thing either. Have you tried DC Online? Controller based and pretty active as well. Lots of input commands and combos as well you'd probably enjoy it. Free to play now as well.

If one or two of the M's and possibly the O doesn't need to apply you might enjoy a more actiony RPG. Maybe something like Torchlight, D&D Daggerdale, or other Diabloish clones might sate your interest?
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 pm

DC Online, huh? From the look of it, I might look into playing it. I'm not into PvP, though.

As for the others? Not so much. Along with the gameplay, the theme, character choice and character creation need to resonate with it. And I tend to favor the anime-like 2D sprites or cel-shading for 3D (though I've yet to find a 2D MMO that I cared for, and most 3D games have left me wanting in a number of areas).

As for Tera Online, I wonder how one can aim, move and attack at the same time with a controller or a keyboard. O.o
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 am

There are two main reasons for so many MMOs being Stat based:

1: Design, Stats do somehow eventually have to come into it, even if it is only hit points. It is impossible otherwise. And once you stert to add more stats or use an existing base (Like D&D) it is a slippery slope to becoming all stats.

2: Latency, it is very hard to program around this problem if your target moves and you don't see it, it is not the server's fault you didn't aim right, might not be your problem, but is still a problem. (Although this is becomming less of an issue)
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Return to Games