how many members play rpg's or war games?

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

how many members play rpg's or war games?

Postby ckosacranoid » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:18 pm

i have to ask what games does anyone play in person face to face or with a group in a chat room style gaming or war gaming at all. not worried about card games or online muitl player stuff.
i do many rpg's over the years with besm being the longest i think for the last 10 years or so i think with the same group and pretty much the same sytem. many war games with battletech being around and folling for the longest time.
uncharted seas and the steampunk game from sparten games, naval thunder being new one i just found, car wars for really old school. shadowrun, cyberpunk, heavy gear, playing in the streets for a game noone has heard about.
i have given up and really dont like AD+d much for many ages....if i do play now and then its 1st or 2nd ed mixed.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: how many members play rpg's or war games?

Postby camk4evr » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:01 am

I've played Dungeons and Dragons, AD&D 2nd Ed., Rifts, Marvel Super Heroes, (twice), Robotech (also twice) and Cyberpunk (once at a con) around a table. Rifts and AD&D were for the most time (largly) the same group (about six years) before we had to break up due to conflicting schedules.

I've also been in numerous, play by post, forum based RPG's. Namely, five different Mekton campaigns, one Robotech campaign, AD&D 3rd Ed., Elf Quest (no system), Dragonriders of Pern (no system), two Sailor Moon campaigns (no system), four SDF Macross campaigns (three of which used the Palladium System), 1.1 BESM campaigns here (the .1 was a campaign that Pale Wolf was putting together that didn't get past the character generation phase (stupid site crash) which looked like it would have been interesting), the Ellf's Fukucon campaign, and Rei-chan's Demon's Door (unfortunately, I stopped posting after not being able to catch up afer being offline for a few days. Sorry everyone) and Multiverse campaigns.

I've also been in one IM based Sorceror Hunters campaign (when I was a member of Collegeclub.com) but had to stop because the rediculously obsolete computer I had at the time couldn't handle it and it was hard to be on at the same time as the GM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 am

I used to regularly play and GM D&D ("Basic" D&D, 1st and 2nd ed AD&D; that should give you an idea on how long ago that was), as well as MSH. I tried running a CoC Campaign, but couldn't get the tone right (some players were treating like D&D and expect to hack and slash their way through). In college I used to regularly play BattleTech, as well as board games like Kings and Things and Civilization. I've had at least one session of Star Wars and shadowrun.

Besides actually playing, I used to collect RPG rulebooks. I had nearly every 1st and 2nd ed AD&D rulebook and campaign, In Nomine, Twilight 2000, Street Fighter, photocopies of Mechwarrior, Battletech, and Shadowrun, Mekton, a couple of core books for Palladium games (Robotech, Rifts), photocopies of the Sailor Moon RPG, Call of Chtuhule (both d20 and the one by Chaosium), StarWars, plus a few others.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:05 am

Let's see...RPGs...dungeons and dragons 1st Ed thru 3rd...( 3.5 is ...well...) shadow runner as a d6 d10 and d20, Legends of the 5 Rings as a precoception and d20, city of Heros/Villand, Car Wars, Star Wars darkness campaign, rebel alliance, Vampire, cities of darkness, GRUPS, and a couple others I can't disclose due to beta testing/release pending stuff. I am currently writing a Steampunk/Vampire by Gaslight/HG Wells Time Machien LARP...(which I have played in many campaigns in from vampire, werewolf, sorcerers blade and Cthulu.) did the hero clicks stuff and age of empires stuff as well as CCG FROM magic:the gathering, L5r, original PokeMon, car Wars and a couple others as well
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Scratx-chan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Umm.

DnD 3e (3.5 and Pathfinder especially), BESM (both tristat and d20), Exalted (just a bit) and Wheel of Time d20 are the ones I either do or did play. Can't exclude having forgotten one or two along the way but I don't think I did.

Oh, almost joined a Call of Cthulhu game but it never launched, too.

Edit: Oh, and did play DnD 4e but I don't really like it... and it's NOT DnD as far as I'm concerned, no matter what WotC wants us to believe.
Guy: "Is this a nerf gun? You gave me a freaking nerf gun?"
Radio: "Sorry, somebody must've shipped the wrong box to me. Now go and kick ass, marine."
Guy: "How can anyone get this wrong? It's a nerf gun! What else are they going to do? Send chainsaws to Mars?"
Radio: "Careful with that, you are on Mars."
*whirrrrr*
Guy: "Aww, HELL."
Scratx-chan
Senshi Cadet

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Far as war games go, I played Star Wars Miniatures for a few years. I stopped playing in 2007 due to the lack of available opponents (read: I moved away), even though I still try to buy new miniatures whenever they come out.

To further clarify, the SWM matches I played didn't always have us stick with a specific faction (ex. the Rebel Alliance and what not). They usually became Light Vs. Dark; one such match had a Clone Wars-era Anakin Skywalker on the same team with a New Republic trooper, for instance. When I matched up against my brother, the teams had anywhere from 300-600 point values and thus took most of the evening (if not the entire evening) to complete if there were additional people playing.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:21 am

Oh, almost joined a Call of Cthulhu game but it never launched, too.

CoC's tone is too different from other RPGs. The players have to be the type to want to build up a character, but not complain (or be jaded) when something eats their character. Its a line that's almost impossible to define, as players who care about their character don't want to play in an RPG with such a high mortality rate, and those that treat characters like chaff tend to be too analytical to be appreciate the horrors of the setting.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:13 am

For many years, I played Dungeon, a locally-originated version of D&D, back in the days when we'd heard about it but not seen it. After a while, we changed over to Champions. The characters I did up using the first edition always were the strongest - they closed a lot of loopholes in later editions, but the gamesmaster let us keep the stats, powers, and workarounds as originally detemined. Mira and Captain Mercaptan had staying power. Rocketking (and his faithful cat Puff) did okay. Innocenzia deMure was good enough to survive, but not flourish, so she became a costume-maker to the Super community. And then there was the Invisible McSnoid the leprechaun, who was in the game for chaos, not victory.

We had a spectacular gamesmaster. He built scenarios, but let the people around the table play both heroes and villains. That way we had individual ingenuity on each side. I still have the logs from our adventures, profusely illustrated, kept on my laptop NEC minicomputer. It's always nice to be the one that writes the histories, and I was fair and honest enough that none of the other players complained. (The computer used DOS 3.1 and WordPerfect 4.2, with two floppies, for those of you interested in the paleosilicic.)

But then the gamesmaster had a bad accident involving a fall and a week in a coma. He recovered, but never was able to scale the gamesmasterly heights he'd occupied so effortlessly before. He tried to keep things going, and so did others, but it just wasn't the same. We all slowly drifted apart. I haven't played since, but I find writing fan-fiction to be a reasonable substitute.

You can find the stories of some of my characters at Supers. There is a fanfic air about many of them.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby ckosacranoid » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:32 pm

thanks for the sharing of memories are cool and things that happen in games are always cool to remeber about what happened in a game one time or its just like vets talking about their old war stoires.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Ever hear of Star Trek the RPG from FASA? I have books that have been used and abused but never got to play.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby truedemonicfire » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 am

I play both RPG's and war games. Current games I'm playing include Pathfinder roleplaying game and Rise of Nations
truedemonicfire
Senshi Candidate

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 pm

star trek from fasa..talk about very olds school...wowow...
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:03 pm

RPGs over here. IRC's a damn good medium for play, you can pretty much assemble play groups from across the world.

Presently in... six games. One BESM Tristat (the Crystal Tokyo campaign - DCG started it, but at some point early on it basically switched over to Yarrow's GMing), a D&D game that switched over to Pathfinder for its second arc (our party's sorta nuts in this one, we originally started off with a 'Firefly' theme for the characters - mine being the River who picked up some Solid Snake elements - and the interaction tends towards the 'yes, we're facing cosmic horrors from beyond the veil of reality as we know it, we can't afford to take it seriously' side), a Pathfinder lv 1 game (basic gist, magic is considered teh ebilz in setting, guess what awoke in our PCs in the first session? Though mine still hasn't actually done anything magical yet and is sort of taking it on faith), a D&D with some elements of BESM d20 mixed in (I joined this one fairly late, the DM wanted some extra players and I got a character idea), a Pathfinder adventure path, and one Not-Sure-What-System (the GM handles the crunch side and I think it's got some fair relation to Unknown Armies, players are basically running pure RP from their perspective).
Couple board RPGs as well - two superhero-themed ones, and one Pathfinder game running as Pokemon (creepy part is that it works).

Former games: One Super Robot Wars one in BESM d20 Mecha (it was entertaining and my character from that is still one of my favourites, but the game itself was... well, the plot/setting/NPCs were sort of slapdash, the mechanics were painful and really didn't fit together at all - one player kept on making ridiculously overpowered attacks and the GM wasn't really good enough with the system to keep up, and it ended up crashing and burning).
Three previous iterations of Crystal Tokyo (DCG ran the last two but his health issues kicked off and brought them both to abrupt ends, the first one was with Strat but only lasted one session - the DMing was sort of... well, in hindsight it looks like the intended tone wasn't quite communicated, most of the PCs brought 'relatively serious' characters and Strat was apparently planning on running a Paranoia-like game). The first DCG one with that was mostly with the characters we'd built for the Strat game, second was with a new set of characters and lasted a ways longer, until the GM crashed out.
Alathon Crystal Tokyo (yes, we're getting sort of a collection over there - I'm even considering running one just to work towards the hat trick), which was pretty good. My first character sort of got NPCed around the end of the first arc, and I ended up coming back with a (much more long-lived) character.
D&D system game set in ancient Rome, under Strat (thus why the raised opinion of his DMing), though my character died and the game did shortly thereafter (to the best of my knowledge the factors were unrelated).
Mutants and Masterminds game set... somewhere in the DC universe? I'm not actually a comic fan so I couldn't tell you jack about the relationship between that game and canon (apparently superheroes had more or less disappeared until around when our game started), though this one actually came to its appropriate end (or at least arc break). We had a lot of influences in that game from the Protomen (a band portraying the Megaman games, yes seriously), and I think the last arc we ran was covering the material of 'Blackest Night' or something? (Mostly what I remember about that arc involves my somewhat-unstable cop character working out a few issues by smacking the incarnation of death in the balls with an electrokinetic chainsword...)
First game was a BESM d20 one under Tarou, though I lost internet a ways into it, came back months later with another short-lived character, and then a third who was interesting, but wasn't really integrated well into the group.
Former board RPGs, there's the aforementioned BESM one (I totally forgot about that, I don't even remember what I had in mind...). A handful of Fukufics ones actually, most of which died off.

And two games run (one presently, one formerly). The old one was a multicross universe based in 'military starting to get involved in and hiring the supernatural', though the mechanics only barely held together and I didn't do a great job pushing the plot along (it also might have been too big, I had Nanoha, a Zerg invasion, the Third World War, a Japan conspiracy, Harry Potter, and more running concurrently, oh wow I forgot about the Nazis for a second there). Current is a Pathfinder one set in a custom setting (you can find it in the RPGs section of this board, though I seriously have to update those things at some point) which, barring some hiccups, seems to be holding together fairly well.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby camk4evr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 am

Pale Wolf wrote:Former board RPGs, there's the aforementioned BESM one (I totally forgot about that, I don't even remember what I had in mind...).

All I can remember was that the characters were supposed to be based on us. Rather loosely as most of the characters ended up with special powers (as I'd just seen ROD I used the system to create a paper master version of me. Unfortunately, I never saved a copy of the character...)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:55 am

besm....my group has been together for the better part of 10+ years right now and that is the one system we keep playing..tryed a few ohter here and there but keep coming back to it for some reason. even got to playtest the third ed before it come out and my name is in the playtest list for it...
we have done elhazzard, bgc showwhat, a couple of horror games, sevral street racing games, a very coolo setup with the chiagco setup for the ex-drivers anime, a fansty setup, a macross one right now, a supers hero also, a car wars/besm crossover...dont ask i am working something out for it. there have been a few other games for campains also i think including a zoids game.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Games