Touhou Project

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Re: Touhou Project

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 pm

I got to wondering about those eyes you see when Yukari opens up those "portals." I just recalled that nine-tailed kitsune can purportedly see (and hear) anything around the world, so I was thinking that maybe Ran's contract with Yukari grants access to that ability.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Well, I finally got my controller to work with Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, and I just finished clearing all of the stories. It gave me a nice idea for a fan-fic, though it'll probably end up being an orphan.

I will say right now that Alice didn't work for me at all. Yukari's first spell card was the most annoying one, followed by Youmu's first spell card. For me, anyway. Between making time between Yukari's bullets and having enough coordination to get an attack in before the attack is canceled by said bullets or her attack hits, some characters were especially difficult to work with. And moving to a location that puts Youmu in line with an attack after avoiding the second slash, where neither the first or second slash cancel the attack, or managing it before or after she moves, had me cursing Youmu many times.

I think Suika was my favorite character. I keep thinking, "weeee," every time she moves. I think I'm totally moeing out on her. XD

Now I just need to find an English patch for Hisoutensoku.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:49 pm

While conducting my search (which is still ongoing), I came across a game called Moedan. Apparently, it's a fan-made game created to train those who wish to do better at Touhou games. It seems the character used is Flandre. (She should be used in the official games, too, damn it!)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I will say right now that Alice didn't work for me at all. Yukari's first spell card was the most annoying one, followed by Youmu's first spell card. For me, anyway. Between making time between Yukari's bullets and having enough coordination to get an attack in before the attack is canceled by said bullets or her attack hits, some characters were especially difficult to work with. And moving to a location that puts Youmu in line with an attack after avoiding the second slash, where neither the first or second slash cancel the attack, or managing it before or after she moves, had me cursing Youmu many times.

Yeah, Alice takes some getting used to. I haven't really started to get the hang of most of her attacks until recently.

I've had the same problem with Yukari. After multiple attempts at beating Remilia's storyline, I finally decided "Of course you know, this means war" and decided to save my strongest spellcards specifically for her. Except for a bit of trouble with Reisen and Reimu, this worked out reasonably well.

I think Suika was my favorite character. I keep thinking, "weeee," every time she moves. I think I'm totally moeing out on her. XD

Now I just need to find an English patch for Hisoutensoku.

My favorite's probably always going to be Patchouli. Suika's cool, sure, but I think my props have to go to the One Week Wizard.

Here's a list of the English patches for the games. Most of the ones I downloaded already had the English patches installed, but this was where I found the one for Hisoutensoku.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 pm

I rarely used the spellcards. It would have made some battles easier, to be sure. XD

Patchouli is up there, as her story was one of the easiest for me to complete, but Suika's like the Fourth of July version of her. :P

Oh, I should have mentioned this about the patch. Apparently I need the 1.10 version of the game, and that's what I'm having trouble finding. So far I've run into removed files from places like megaupload, or dead torrents. The search continues...

In the meantime, I'm thinking of trying Immaterial and Missing Power. Hopefully I won't have any trouble with the controls.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 am

Opposite problems: you don't use them as much, and I use them too much. Heh. 8)

Suika's one of those characters that's fun to play as, but an absolute pain to beat.

It's out there somewhere. Hope you're able to find it.

I still haven't put any effort into IamP. Compared to the later games, well... I just haven't able to adjust to the controls, and I still haven't been able to get any of the spellcards to activate for the characters despite following the instructions.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

I just find it troublesome recognizing the spellcards while I'm paying attention to my opponent, and dealing with them makes me focus on using the other buttons instead of the one that shuffles through them. Usually I find a lull in the battle, find the spellcard I want, then keep it there in case I need it later. But I get caught up in beating them the conventional way and often forget it. XD

Suika's one of the easiest for me to beat. :O I only have a bit of a problem with her final spellcard.

It's bound to be out there somewhere... Though I might use translated scripts of what's said by the characters from a site instead...

For the spellcards in IMP, that requires a button combination instead of a single button, right? I don't remember from when I last fiddled with the game some odd months ago. It was like: down, down plus/then a shoot button? Confounded memory!.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Congrats! I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it with Marisa, at least for EoSD. It'll likely be with Reimu, whenever I get back around to playing it. Right now I'm going between Subterranean Animism, Mountain of Faith and Undefined Fantastic Object. And sometimes I swing over to Fairy Wars. But, man, UFO is brutal.

So, how many lives and bombs did you have left?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:04 pm

UFO keeps stalling me at Stage Three. That boss scares me. :cry:

For my latest run last night, I had just one life and three bombs left. There were three goals I was trying to accomplish for this playthrough: #1, not waste my entire first batch of bombs against Cirno. #2, remember to collect the 1-Up left behind by mid-boss Sakuya (on a previous playthrough, somehow I missed getting it and ultimately lost to her employer). #3, reach the 60 million point mark so that I could have enough lives to outlast Remilia. Reaching those goals won me the day, so to speak; if I hadn't collected that Stage 5 1-Up, I wouldn't have managed a victory.

(Funnily enough, I had less points on this run [around 62 or 63 million] than I did on my last run, which I'd lost [and had around 68 or 69 million].)

Most of my earlier runs had me using Reimu, but I just couldn't make her survive long enough to do anything. Theoretically I could probably win using her, now that I know that Sakuya is survivable, but I decided that if I were going to win at that game for the first time, I needed heavy firepower.

--EDITED at 4:09p.m., CST--

I'll see if I can post a replay of the levels on Youtube tomorrow.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm

It doesn't have to be all of the levels. I do want to see how you fared against Sakuya, though.

Say, now that you've overcome this hurdle, why not Fairy Wars? It's pretty fun and interesting. Well, to me, anyway. With the ability to freeze bullets, there's a bit more strategy to it, and since freezing bullets helps to increase your lives and attack power, there's also some skill required in learning how to freeze the most amount of bullets all at one time.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:29 am

What I have is version 1.02 of the game (with an 0.8 English patch, but I don't think that counts). I don't know what the differences between the versions are.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I don't care! I just want to know I can do it, and only then might I be ready to go for the gold! *_*
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Puma Girl? Alright, Gotcha.

I've been practicing the 5th and 6th stages a little bit, and I think I've found a way to survive the final boss's more annoying spellcards (although her 4th one, and the wave of knives preceding it, are both Grade-A pains). In theory I should be able to beat the game with some bombs left over, but I'm not anxious to try it for myself.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm

The funny thing with my Reimu run-through on easy is that I technically only died twice, rather than five times. That's because I ran into a boss (the third and fifth) twice, and an enemy once, rather than by an attack. If I avoid those mistakes I don't see why I can't make it in normal mode. It's just that... Youmu... Her second attack troubles me so. And unlike with Cirno in Fairy Wars, I have a hard telling when she's charged up for her attack. ;/
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm

It's not really all that hard. Far as I can determine, it's ready as soon as the accompanying sound peters out.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Games