Touhou Project

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Touhou Project

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:08 pm

I started playing these games recently and they're fun even though they're challenging. The only real problem I have with them is that they require an amount of focus I usually don't have at my disposal.

Due to the aforementioned focus problem, I prefer using characters that have some homing or spread attacks, since I have trouble following the enemy's location and bullets/stuff around me at the same time (even in the case when a boss has an indicator at the bottom). I do use Marisa, at times, but I play a lot more aggressively and take more risks when I do. It's actually a bit more fun that way, when I'm not really trying to accomplish anything but survive.

The only ones I've finished so far: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Imperishable Night, and Mountain of Faith. The only one I've finished without using a continue was Imperishable Night; that one seems to be the easiest to me, followed by Mountain of Faith.

The only boss I dislike are the Prismriver sisters. The fourth stage of Perfect Cherry Blossom in its entirety usually chisels away at least half of the lives I have by that point. I've yet to play the game enough times to really figure out how to defeat them without losing so many lives.

Of course, if I had more of a mind to take advantage of my bombs, I probably wouldn't lose so many lives. For some reason it just doesn't occur to me to use bombs all that much. I guess I just get too involved in dodging, if I still see a way that I might avoid getting hit. Most of the time I die because of a mistake on my part, so of course running into something unexpectedly doesn't give me time to use a bomb.

I've tried the hard and lunatic difficulties a few times, just for fun, but I mostly switch between easy and normal difficulties. I'll probably never play the hard and lunatic difficulties seriously unless I'm able to put more time into playing the games and improving enough to do that since, like I said, I have trouble getting started and playing them in the first place.

The only downer about these games is that I have to "kill" so many faeries. ;/

I can't say whether I have a favorite character or not; most of them pretty much act the same way (making witty remarks and such). I can see what those manzai videos could have been inspired by. There aren't any that I particularly dislike, so far...

Hmmmm... Well, to end this, maybe anyone else who plays these games would like to join in a friendly competition, where we post images of our scores/overall statistics and see who gets the top spot in several categories. My skill at these games are rather novice, so no one should feel discouraged by me. ;p
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Touhou Project

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Novice, huh? That's better than me: absolute zero. The only Touhou-type game that I've ever played, whether the original series, a fangame or something else, was Megamari. I've seen a few videos for the series, and I have to say that my experience with the NES's Life Force doesn't even come close: I'd get shredded in no time, tiny hit box or not.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm imagining an old, funny-talking, green midget with long ears having a lot of mixed-up words to say about that. :P
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Well, I'll just say to him what Weird Al did: "Just stick it in your pointy ear. :P "
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I doubt he'll bother to try.

Wait.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:54 pm

My my. I can't even get through the Triceratops Stamped in the Jurassic Park NES game without spending a day at it each time. These games are for masochists seeking the day their spirit dies.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Touhou's not that bad!

...Well, in some parts of the games they are. Especially if you're playing the hard and lunatic difficulties.

I honestly don't find it that hard, and I only have experience with these kind of games over the past few months, not a year or years. If I could actually devote more time to it, I can see the normal difficulty being a cinch.

I think you two should try one of the games first. They have reply features, so you can share files of your gameplay with others. Then you can show me/us just how bad you really are. I was going to share the one I made, but the forums don't allow the extension.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I linked you ones I downloaded them to test thought they worked and went...Noooo not my thing and ran far away. They are now sitting on one of my three external drives gathering digital equivalents of dust waiting for the day I go, "Let's cause self pain now yays!"
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:40 am

I think you two should try one of the games first. They have reply features, so you can share files of your gameplay with others. Then you can show me/us just how bad you really are. I was going to share the one I made, but the forums don't allow the extension.

Here's a reply feature of my own: I shake my head repeatedly and say that causing myself heart problems isn't my thing.

I linked you ones I downloaded them to test thought they worked and went...Noooo not my thing and ran far away. They are now sitting on one of my three external drives gathering digital equivalents of dust waiting for the day I go, "Let's cause self pain now yays!"

Nicely put. :)
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:22 pm

(Should have been replay instead of reply, but eh.)

Hey, I might actually have a heart problem, and I'm fine. :?

frice2000 wrote:I linked you ones I downloaded them to test thought they worked and went...Noooo not my thing and ran far away. They are now sitting on one of my three external drives gathering digital equivalents of dust waiting for the day I go, "Let's cause self pain now yays!"

Oh, noes! Melodramatics! My only weakness!
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Bah.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Humbug?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Scrooge McDuck???
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm

No Ducktales is a fun and challenging game. Not a nearly impossible torture session.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Says someone who hasn't played any of the games, I bet. You can make your exaggerated claims afterward. :P

I mean, sure, to each their own. But I find it fun and challenging; torture never comes into the equation. In part I think it's due to it being, in its own way, a puzzle game. I like games like Tetris, or Columns. As the difficulty increases, so too does the demand to maneuver your pieces quickly enough into the right place, which takes skill and quick-thinking. Touhou's danmaku games aren't any different, since you have to figure out where to place your character to avoid being hit. It's actually a bit easier than Tetris and Columns, in one sense, since most of the bullets follow patterns that can be memorized (as opposed to the pieces and jewel combinations being random).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Games