Import or Domestic...which is the best way to play

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Import or Domestic...which is the best way to play

Postby Vocaloid » Sun May 29, 2011 4:08 pm

I'll admit I have bought a few games over the years from over seas, but that was when I had more time to play games and the game I wanted wasn't available in the US...Ever!!!. But with so many new games finding their way stateside long before a import/translation can be decided on, I wonder if it is worth it to wait any more. Currently on my list is Virtual Diva 2, and with the Vocaloid base growing in the US, I don't know if I will have the patience to wait this one out. What are some of the video games you currently are waiting on or have imported and what did you go thru before doing so? Just curious about it and also looking to start expanding my game library again so suggestions and playability experiences would be appriciated
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Import or Domestic...which is the best way to play

Postby Makoto » Sun May 29, 2011 4:24 pm

If you have the spare change, a decent understanding of Japanese, and either systems that can play games from other regions with little difficulty or a Japanese version of the system, I'd say go for it. There are still a lot of Japanese games that aren't translated and released in English (and many of those still aren't likely to be); plus, there's always the chance that an English re-release may change things (features, etc.) or leave them out, have considerable script changes, questionable voice acting, etc.

I've imported games for quite some time; it was easy to do with my SNES, TG-16, Genesis - and the GB/DS play import games without any need for modification. The more recent disc-based systems will require either a hardware mod or a full Japanese system, though.

(I used to frequent the Japanese game stores (including one that sold used Japanese games) in San Francisco, but I haven't been to those in a while, so I don't even know if they're still there. :( )
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun May 29, 2011 4:26 pm

It depends on the game. But original nation release is almost always better than a localization that takes liberties. There are many fan translations of games that are superior to the games originally sold in foreign markets.

Just like with books. Or movies. If you can train yourself to know the language go to the original sources. They are almost Always the best.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 pm

If I'm going to play something, I'd like to be able to understand it.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Return to Games