I am the Mailed Fist of the Emperor.

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

I am the Mailed Fist of the Emperor.

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat May 28, 2011 2:21 pm

I have done it. After almost 17 full years of trying and experiencing at least three nightmares because of this game, I have finally, finally beaten Space Hulk and its main campaign.

Here's the problem I was having. During the mid-to-late 90s or thereabouts, I'd gotten brave enough to play said campaign and had eventually worked my way up to this mission, the third from the last.

Amongst other things---taking out any Genestealers in my way, and what not---I was supposed to retrieve an object (in this case, a scroll) and take it with me to the finishing point. I searched through the entire level, from top to bottom, even double-checking places that I'd already been to, and guess what? ...I couldn't find the stinkin' scroll! You can probably imagine my frustration.

Several times over the years I checked around online to see if I could find a guide, but there weren't any. Finally last night, I tried again---and this time I found one. When I checked it out, I found out why I could never find the scroll I was supposed to get: the stupid thing was hidden up near a batch of four "genebanks" (the Genestealers' spawning points) in the upper right portion of the level, a place that no sane person would dare to go, myself included. ...Yeah.

Compared to that fiasco, the latter two scenarios (one being a gigantic showdown between my squads and the Patriarch's forces, and the other a search mission) were cakewalks. I'm glad to finally be able to put this game behind me; hopefully I won't have those nightmares anymore.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Re: I am the Mailed Fist of the Emperor.

Postby Vocaloid » Sat May 28, 2011 4:27 pm

WOW!!! 17 years to finally complete a game??? @_@ I would have shot the ting out a cannon into a black hole or small sun before the first 3 years were up.

*Hads a ccg card to Wildcat...'Game Machien...Holder of this card can rewind time to any point once every 10 years to reclaim time lost while gaming '*
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat May 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you, Vocaloid. I will use it wisely. ^_^

I have my brother to blame for it, actually. We'd gotten this new computer to replace our old Tandy 1000 back in April 1994. Around that time, he bought two games (Space Hulk and Star Wars: X-Wing) to satisfy his gaming needs. I watched him and one of his friends play it a few times, then started my own haphazard attempts not long after (I hadn't memorized the controls yet, and my brother was rather chagrined when he found out). If it wasn't for him, I probably would never have played the game at all.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat May 28, 2011 10:35 pm

God, I remember this game.

It was f***** hard. I think I just played up until the third mission... then just fooled around with it (the voice files are just .voc files, and text is just text -- I edited it so that the guy giving the briefing was saying nursery rhymes; didn't really work because some of his lines were random)

"Mary had a little lamb...
Its flece was white as snow.
The lamb was sure to go
And anywhere mary went"
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun May 29, 2011 9:32 am

I never did go as far as tinkering with the *.voc files, although I did discover that the briefing files could be messed with in MS-Edit. I kept the briefings intact but added a few extra lines to some of them for the humor value.

If you like, maybe I could see about uploading some videos of the game to Youtube.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Return to Games