Breath of Fire (The Series)

Talk about Video and Tabletop Games here.

Breath of Fire (The Series)

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 am

My first and my favorite RPG. I started by watching my friend play Breath of Fire II, and I thought it was a fun game. After that I started playing the first when ever I visited that friend. It didn't take me too long to beat it, but it was fun.

Then I got to play the one I wanted to play, Breath of Fire II. Breath of Fire II was a lot more fun playing that watching, it was the first game of the series to let you build a town. Also you could collect Shamans to fuse with your characters.

Breath of Fire III was on the Play Station vs the first two being on the SNES. The graphics were pretty cool and now you had masters you could train under. These masters helped certain stats and gave you certain skills.

Sadly I never finished Breath of Fire IV, and the fith game changed a lot of the mechanics and it was a little less fun.

I know this is childish but.... "I got the first topic in this subforum!"
Last edited by Lioconvoy on Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: Breath of Fire (The Series)

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 25, 2011 1:08 am

I liked the series up until the third one. Four was eh and five was bleh.

Breath of Fire 2 is my favorite of the series, of course. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's the only one in the series to have a proper female woren in it. I'm not sure if I prefer the second or third game's town (the latter because of the faeries), but I wished that they had implemented the shamans in future games (it could have been a series staple).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed May 25, 2011 1:22 am

Well II wasn't the first game with Fusion. It was in the first game in the form of Karn, and in the third in the form of a dragon, but yeah I like II's version best.

From III on they had the fairies. I guess the Fairy towns were kind of better because you could always change what you wanted in each shop, but I liked you could choose what your houses looked like in II.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby DCG » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Nya~

Wow now here's a flash back.

Love/loved these games. I remember playing 1 soo long ago.

Had to rent it over and over again while staying at my dads place and would spend 3 to 4 days in a row on it. Exploring, fighting, learning every thing. There was so much to do and no internet to show you how.

I all so like how that game let you stay a dragon the hole fight once triggered. Lots of fun there.

Number 2.. I got that as a x-mass present one year. And the opening blew my mind. So far only Choron Trigger has some close to that one in epic openings.

And i mean epic in a way that gets you playing for 12 hours before you notice your starving and gota run to the bathroom. The town building, the fights, the story line. Just wow. Flirting with kate and Ninja, (no blu love? =\ ) was a first for games around that time i think.

I remember getting a crappy ending where you had to go full dragon and sleep on the entrance to keep the evil sealed. Leaving kat and nina to walk off alone. Decided that shit isnt staying and redid it. Next time finding the that your city f'in FLY's. Nice suprise there.

Any one else rage at nina's little sister and spend far to many hours looking to fix her?

3 was ok.. but thats when it started going down hill for me.

4... ug. Thats about when capcom took the story line and went "Meh"

Dont get me started on the newer ones.. pissed me off so much when i looked at them. Damn shame.
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Them? There's only one after four...isn't there?

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm

As far as I know, but I wouldn't mind if there was more than one.

But only if it has a female woren and the shaman system, damn it!
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 am

What about a male Woren who turns female when shamanized?

Basically I'd love II's machanics with a new story. I really enjoyed just about everything in II. Heck a remake of II with modern graphics and maybe more Shamen forms would be great too.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:30 am

Because hoping for a sex-change element is putting one's hopes too high. :P

I agree. Breath of Fire 2 is actually one of the few games I thought of to inspire what I thought would make an RPG game to end all RPGs.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:45 am

What about Spar? They've done it with him they can do it again.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:31 am

Spar is debatable, though. If I remember correctly, he's genderless, so it's not like he's changing from one gender to the other. (Never mind my use of the male pronoun, since that's more for convenience than anything else.) Plus, it's only one of the three shaman forms that distinctly shows him being any one gender (female). And even then, Spar may still technically be genderless.

Still, the mushroom girl form was so cute that I always used Spar in that form. (I wish there were more mushroom girls out there. I think the only other one I know of, that comes remotely close, is Mel from Luminous Arc.) Of course, I had all of the girls in my party, with each of them in their shaman form. :3
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Games