Top Gear

Talk about various Western Media Here.

Re: Top Gear

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:07 am

Had somebody told me ca. 20 year ago that Chevrolet would sponsor a sports league in Russia, I'd have wondered what they were smoking and why they weren't sharing.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:49 am

I, for one, don't even drive and yet I love Top Gear.

Mainly because the sight of three middle-aged men cocking about is immensely amusing. Though it did take several episodes for me to really "get" the humor; and sometimes I'm still not sure if they're serious or just yanking my chain with typical straight-faced and understated British humor.

Some of my favorites was the Lorry episode (I almost wet myself laughing when Jeremy pulled up with the trailer on fire) and the "Buy a Supercar for less than a Mondeo Challenge" (I think that was it, with Hammond's Dingo, Jeremy's Maserati, and James' Lamborghini). I was also immensely fond of the "British Supercar Challenge" and the frequent "picnics" along the way. :lol:

I'm eagerly awaiting Series 17 starting.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 am

I don't drive, either. XD

Some of the ones I'm fond of:

Reliant Robin

Campervan challenge

I'd've had one or two more, but I'm having connection problems. ;/
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Whoever saw them can ever forget the Top Gear space shuttle or the TG Winter Olympics?
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:27 pm

The Reliant Robin episode was my very first Top Gear. It was the sight of Jeremy sliding the car along on it's side through the BBC affiliate "news cast" that one: had me laughing like a hyena and two: convinced me that there was something interesting about this show.

And the Reliant Space Shuttle was actually pretty awesome. Too bad the explosive bolts on the fuel-tank didn't work. I loved the Winter Olympics, particularly the car hokey game.

Another favorite was the episode that had their Mums on it. And wow, all three really take after their mothers don't they? Just one look and you could tell who was who's Mum. The absolutely gobsmacked expression on James' face when his Mum started talking about how she didn't like low-profile tires because they were loud is one of the best. As was finding out she had two speeding tickets!

Interestingly, Jeremy's mother created the first Paddington Bear toy for her daughter and son. She and her husband then made more and it eventually became wildly successful. She even wrote a book about it. Note the little blurb at the top of the book.

But if you like the presenters, all three have also done non-car shows. Jeremy has done at least two World War II documentaries focusing on the Victoria Cross (he had a personal connection to someone who had been awarded one) and has appeared on a show that explored a guest's family history. Hammond has done one on Omaha Beach; he's also done two kids science shows, one of which stars Oliver the Opal Cadet he used in the Africa special. Yes, he brought it back to Britain and payed like 10k pounds to have it restored. James has done series about toys and a series about wine. He also totally pwned Gordon Ramsey in a friendly little challenge they had on one of Gordon's shows; "I'm disappointed in you Gordon," while Gordon hurked into a bucket.

When you look beyond Top Gear, you see that all three are actually damn good presenters. The written articles they each do are also worth the read.

And I totally freaked out when I found out that Top Gear had been filming the third American Challenge special at a racetrack near me. They filmed it last summer, but I didn't get into Top Gear until that September. :cry:
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Agree 100% on the explosive bolts. Really wanted to see the thing in free flight.

Incidentally, I got a set of TG discs for Christmas. The only thing that's matched my grin since then was when I finally got to meet the Eternal Factory Girl again in my dreams.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

wow, many of your guys are top gear fans.....i am a very hard core car guy and i found it from a message board and the us edit a few years ago on the discoury channel. then it went away and and then we got the bbc america and have been watching it and seeing some of the past things are very amusing.....try watching the peal p50 eps for something very funny.
for a fav eps, can be fore sure but they are very very cool. i have to say the travel eps are very cool. vettnam was cool. the crawl across the south was amsuing...scary at one point for the booys when they had to run for it from the bible thumping rednecks...sigh....
but it is really amsuing to see how many non car people get into top gear, they really hit something with that format with the brit seies cause a lot of you watch ad you admit you could car less about cars....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Uldihaa wrote:Another favorite was the episode that had their Mums on it. And wow, all three really take after their mothers don't they? Just one look and you could tell who was who's Mum. The absolutely gobsmacked expression on James' face when his Mum started talking about how she didn't like low-profile tires because they were loud is one of the best. As was finding out she had two speeding tickets!

That's one episode I missed. Nuuuu! Must find it!

He also totally pwned Gordon Ramsey in a friendly little challenge they had on one of Gordon's shows; "I'm disappointed in you Gordon," while Gordon hurked into a bucket.

Yeah, I thought it was funny how James won a taste contest against him.

ckosacranoid wrote:try watching the peal p50 eps for something very funny.

The episode with the Peel P50 is one of my favorites, too.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Here you go for the parts with the Mums.

The whole episode is here.

And I also loved the Peel P50, particularly when you can see it drive past in the background of a new cast. They did something similar with a small RC car that can drive on windows.

One of the things that I wish BBC America would do would be to show the full episodes more often. I realize that means they'll run for over an hour, but some of the best stuff was during the "News" segments; and those are usually cut in the BBC America edit.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the link!

I like the news segment, which is why I gave up watching it on BBC America (aside from the episodes not being the latest of the series) to find the complete episodes on the Internet. Though the last series (as it was released) of Top Gear was a bit harder to find and I hope the trend doesn't continue.

EDIT: I just realized that we've gotten this far without even mentioning the Stig. XD I like that part of their show, too.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:26 am

The new Stig.

Yeah, I liked the idea of a faceless racing driver that never talks. I thought it was funny when guests see the lengths they go to in order to hide who it is.

Of course now people can have fun speculating as to who the new Stig is. Though I admit to hoping for a different color, I understand why they went with white again; at leas until they've sold all the White Stig merchandise :wink: .

EDIT: New episodes start Sunday the 25th! Yay 8)
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Some say it's a totally nutty sitcom. Some say it's a ballsy hot car show. All we can say for sure is that it's called... Top Gear.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:26 pm

It's heeerrreee.

Also, a Marauder is a must-have for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Also also, Star in the Reasonably Priced Car was awesome.

And finally, Jeremy flirting is hilarious.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:09 pm

I think they pulled a fast one when they tried to blow the Marauder up. Unless it was the streaming video that made it look like there was a switch when the plastic explosives went off. Still, it was fun watching Hammond going about town like he owned the place. XD

I didn't expect him to be a guest. It was a shame that he came on such a rainy day.

Jeremy can't seem to resist whenever there's a pretty girl around. And with that spare tire of his... Well, it is a car show. ;p

I'm waiting for the episode with the electric cars. That's bound to be amusing, especially since Jeremy is as much for petrol-powered vehicles as he is against riding motorcycles.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Western TV/Movies/Books