Would you like to register? Read this first!

This folder is for must-read topics such as the site rules and instructions for people who'd like to sign up for membership. Posting here is for administrators only.

Would you like to register? Read this first!

Postby lwf58 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 am

Because of past problems with spammers creating bogus accounts - a problem every online forum has to deal with - new accounts must be approved by an administrator before they become active. When you register, an email notification is sent to us, and we review the account looking for signs that it's legitimate. This means that there is often a delay after you register before you can post messages or use any of the features of the site. This kills spontaneity since a person cannot sign up and immediately post a message, but you can blame the bad guys for that.

Every so often, spam accounts still get past us because we err on the side of the new member when there is doubt about the validity of a new registration. Because of that, we occasionally prune zero-post accounts to get rid of ones that got in by our mistake. For that reason, new site members should post at least one message so that we know you're a real person. A hello topic in the "Introductions" folder is best, but a reply in any topic will also do, as we just want something on the posts count in your profile. Accounts with at least one post are never deleted.

Lastly, we have a link to the forum rules at the beginning of every folder. Read them, because they are enforced - even the ones that people think are silly.
lwf58
Site Master

Re: Would you like to register? Read this first!

Postby lwf58 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Some time back, we installed a more advanced CAPTCHA system to try and curb spambots from initiating bogus accounts. For the most part, it worked and I only had to deal with a few somehow getting through.

This week, that changed. Evidently someone figured out how to crack the security provided by that service, and I was inundated with accounts generated by spambots. We're talking over thirty bogus sign-ups a day for a week, and I had to deal with each and every one of them manually.

Because of this, I have to change the sign-up procedure again. The automated process for new account sign-ups has been disabled. That means that to become a member, you will need to contact me directly and request that I add you to the forum.

You can contact me by sending email to l w f 58 at h o t m a i l dot c o m. (remove the spaces and use the appropriate symbols in place of the words "at" and "dot".

For the subject of the email, write "New Fukufics Account Request".

In the body of the message, tell me your name, email address, and the username and password you would like to have for your account.

Sorry about the inconvenience, but I'm at my wit's end because of those mental defectives who have nothing better to do than ruin the internet for the rest of us.
lwf58
Site Master

Return to Rules and Regulations