Does the man amongst men protest too much?

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Why does Ranma dress up and/or act as a girl so much?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Anything goes. It's as simple as that.
18%
Pride of being a winner surpasses his pride of being a man. What he wouldn't do to win or get his way...
27%
His pride is such that he's even willing to look and/or act good as a girl when the opportunity arises.
18%
Whether conscious or unconscious of it, he's rebelling against his father.
9%
Since girls seem to get their way or seem immune to being wrong or punished, he wants that kind of advantage.
No votes
Being a girl doesn't bother him (but the inconvenience and disasters with the curse's trigger does).
9%
He's actually a bit curious or interested in at least some aspects of being a girl.
9%
He likes being a girl as much as he likes being a guy, but he still has an image/reputation to upkeep (and eventually a mother looming over him with a sword).
No votes
Whether he's aware of it or not, he likes being a girl more than a guy, and he just can't help himself despite what others think (even with his mother back in his life).
9%
Something that I failed to think of. I'm such a fool!
No votes

Total votes : 11

Does the man amongst men protest too much?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:04 pm

There are a lot of fics out there that explore the reason(s) why Ranma dresses up and acts like a girl as often as he does. In particular, why he has such access to things that girls wear, including various costumes and uniforms girls don't normally have or carry with them except under certain circumstances. Obviously, some things are easily explained with goal-oriented reasons, and other occasions are circumstantial, but other times aren't so easily explained and putting it all together can create quite a puzzle. It did for me, anyway. I mean, it's a gag manga, so why various outfits are pulled out of nowhere can otherwise be explained; but that still leaves the reason for why they're used.

So, I was wondering what you thought. We could even discuss some of the occasions where Ranma dressed up and/or acted like a girl. (Some of the options may not be exclusive, and if so choose the reason that would have the greatest influence.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Does the man amongst men protest too much?

Postby frice2000 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Why does he have the outfits? In terms of what Rumiko probably wrote them in the vein of: Comedy and mild fan service reasons. That's as far as it goes. In regards to what that means not considering the creators perspective: Lots of it revolve around him having immense pride and confidence in everything he does. He makes a really cute girl he knows that. Someone denies he makes a cute girl gets his pride and anger up. What all that leaves is the fact that really I think he's curious about being a girl. He likes the advantages it gives him, really doesn't understand woman, etc. So he kind of wonders and has a ready made body to try to understand that perspective. He wears it on occasion for that, but if he could get rid of it would do so without hesitation.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 am

What frice2000 said. It is a good, easy to apply disguise as well, which goes well with several of his plots. If Genma could turn into a girl he'd spam the hell out of it, too, like he does his panda form.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 am

What about the time when he dressed like the mirror clone and tried to teach her how to pick up guys? Do you think it can be explained with the same reasons? Since he risks affecting his reputation/image negatively whether he helps her or let's her do it her way, what could he gain from it? Would pride really explain it? I mean, he can be rather shameless when he's aiming to win, and his original goal had been to stop her from trying to pick up guys, not help. It's one of those occasions where I'm not sure what to think.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:39 am

Honestly, I don't think it really matters. He changes his mind to whatever is necessary for a story arc. It's simply impossible to determine his real feelings, which also makes it easier to write stories since there's almost always an example you can give as to why it's possible.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Polls