Ranma gets a job...

Post any fanfiction related polls here

...but does he have to be a boy or a girl to perform it?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Boy! There's no way he'd settle for being a girl! Nope! *Nods sagely*
4%
Boy! There's no way he'd settle for being a girl! Nope! *Nods sagely*
4%
Girl! That's where most of his experience and references lay! ;p
29%
Girl! That's where most of his experience and references lay! ;p
29%
Both! He'll find a place where it doesn't matter, and the customers (if there are any) won't be surprised if he changes! *_*
18%
Both! He'll find a place where it doesn't matter, and the customers (if there are any) won't be surprised if he changes! *_*
18%
Neither! He's gonna be a bum and a moocher, or live off of the land! :O
No votes
Neither! He's gonna be a bum and a moocher, or live off of the land! :O
No votes

Total votes : 28

Ranma gets a job...

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:17 pm

I was just thinking that it would be funny if Ranma found his own school of martial arts waitressing, and this sort of came out of it. One can assume that Ranma's meant to teach at the dojo to make a living, but it could very well be that the only ones who would be taught are the children within the Tendo-Saotome family, and that Ranma -- like Soun -- will earn money elsewhere (and renting out the use of the dojo on occasion, I imagine).

...And please remember that what follows, "boy, girl, both and neither," is just an example/joke and is not to be taken as the literal answer. As I'm sure that people will come up with various reasons to choose either one of the four.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Ranma gets a job...

Postby Makoto » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Sounds like a lead-in for a possible Variable Geo crossover. :)

...though I'm not sure I want to know if someone would use the above as a means to cross Ranma with Pia Carrot... :shock:

:mrgreen:
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Well, Pia Carrot is more easily accessible and has been translated into English, so you never know. ;p
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Girl. That's just his twisted luck. :D
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:01 pm

You know Girl and Both are the only options with any votes.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:10 pm

That's not so bad. No "neither" means people don't think he's anything like his father. No "boy" might be a more realistic observation, since cold water is more plentiful and more places may be less accepting/believing of a change of gender. That, and he probably has better prospects getting a job as a girl, since at best he seems to be the type who won't bother with college unless some force/convincing is done. The attractiveness of his female form can open up various doors for well-paying jobs/careers that don't require proof of a higher education. (Model, idol, actress, and stuff like that.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Eric_Phail » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Depends, on when in the series you're talking about the earlier it is the more likely it is he'd go boy only.

I doubt canon Ranma would be willing to work as a girl long term (personal opinion) but short term maybe, but once you get into fanon anythings possible
Eric_Phail
Initiate

Postby three headed dog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Both is my vote though Japan being mostly male oriented with sexism being a major force (farther back in time you go the more it is) with males being paid on average 33 percent more than females doing the same job (As of 2009 - a decade earlier and it was closer to 50%) and females actively discouraged from getting jobs (they often quit once they become married) it is far more likely that Ranma would get a job as a male.

at best he seems to be the type who won't bother with college unless some force/convincing is done.

I don't agree with that statement. If Ranma were going to drop out of school he'd already have done so since Upper Secondary School is not required. I find it more likely that he'd go to college. His parents are both likely to push him to do so, if his fiancee (any of them really) goes he would as well (it would look bad socially for him to not go if they do), and the main reason I think he'd go: in Japan universities have Martial Arts degrees (even a few schools in the USA now offer degrees in martial arts). - Who doesn't see Ranma getting a PHD in martial arts if it is possible to do so? His ego would demand it of him.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm

He wasn't expecting to go to high school, thus why he questioned his father ("School?") when he brought it up, because no prior plans had been made. For all we know, his father only bothered with the idea so Ranma could spend more time around his fiancee (who was chosen before the subject came up). (Plus, Genma's answer to Ranma's question was that they were going to stay a while, which makes absolutely no sense since high school isn't mandatory.)

This part agrees with the snippet you quoted:

His parents are both likely to push him to do so, if his fiancee (any of them really) goes he would as well (it would look bad socially for him to not go if they do)

And this part assumes that he's going to teach martial arts to the public, rather than just pass it down to his children:

and the main reason I think he'd go: in Japan universities have Martial Arts degrees (even a few schools in the USA now offer degrees in martial arts). - Who doesn't see Ranma getting a PHD in martial arts if it is possible to do so? His ego would demand it of him.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 pm

He wasn't expecting to go to high school, thus why he questioned his father ("School?") when he brought it up, because no prior plans had been made. For all we know, his father only bothered with the idea so Ranma could spend more time around his fiancee (who was chosen before the subject came up). (Plus, Genma's answer to Ranma's question was that they were going to stay a while, which makes absolutely no sense since high school isn't mandatory.)

We don't know that no prior plans were made. When you consider that Ryoga knew the name of the school Ranma was going to go to it implies that plans were made beforehand (that Ranma was going to go to school there but the the fiancee part was not told beforehand) but Ranma thought that plans were now changed. Ranma was probably assuming that they were going to leave to find a cure for the curse. The statement made by Genma does make sense if looked at that way. Ranma doesn't mind going to school and when staying in an area for awhile standard procedure was to go to school but was not expecting to stay long.

And this part assumes that he's going to teach martial arts to the public, rather than just pass it down to his children:

Not really. It has to do with Martial Arts which pretty much guarantees that Ranma would have interest in it.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 am

three headed dog wrote:We don't know that no prior plans were made. When you consider that Ryoga knew the name of the school Ranma was going to go to it implies that plans were made beforehand (that Ranma was going to go to school there but the the fiancee part was not told beforehand) but Ranma thought that plans were now changed. Ranma was probably assuming that they were going to leave to find a cure for the curse. The statement made by Genma does make sense if looked at that way. Ranma doesn't mind going to school and when staying in an area for awhile standard procedure was to go to school but was not expecting to stay long.

We can both agree that Ranma wouldn't have expected it either way, but I highly doubt that Genma hadn't planned on sticking around to begin with. (He couldn't return home for an obvious reason.) Either way, there are three flaws with your reasoning. The first is that Ranma had no reason to expect to leave to find a cure, as it's shown from the very start that he's at odds with his father on that issue (because he's focusing on the engagement). The second is that, if Ranma had expected to go to Furinkan beforehand, thus allowing Ryoga to know about it far enough in advance (because overhearing Genma talking to himself instead of Ranma would simply kill suspension of disbelief, not that it wouldn't be in danger already from Ryoga happening upon them to hear it yet not confront Ranma), then Ranma wouldn't have needed to ask and would have been prepared for school. The last is that Genma's response still doesn't make any sense in the context you've presented. The key message of his response is concerning how long they would be in that area, which sounds more like an excuse he probably used often enough while Ranma had to attend school while they made lengthy stops during their training trip; it's not a response that in any way suggests they had a plan or abandoned one (since Furinkan is in Nerima). It's more likely that Genma fell back on the familiar to veil the real reason for why he'd want him in school, rather than as an excuse to go to a school that Ranma was going to go to in the first place. (Where does that leave Ryoga? Well, there's no real sense of the passage of time between Ranma's first day in school and Ryoga's appearance, so he could have been in the area while Ranma was going to Furinkan, asked someone who knew Ranma attended Furinkan, and then got lost on the way there.)

Not really. It has to do with Martial Arts which pretty much guarantees that Ranma would have interest in it.

I disagree. Whenever we see Ranma learning something new, it's hardly ever (if ever) because he up and decided to because he had free time and didn't know the martial art or technique. It was (almost?) always due to circumstances, as a response, usually in the form of some kind of challenge (personal or otherwise) or because he needed to resolve a problem (usually his own). (And was he enthused about learning rhythmic gymnastics? What about tea ceremony? His drive is his pride and ego, not his interest in martial arts: that's usually just a means to an end, as far as I can tell.) Plus, it's not to learn martial arts, but to attain something that proves he's qualified to teach it to the public; they're two very different things. And there's still the issue that he'd need it in the first place, since there's absolutely no evidence that the dojo was or ever will be used to train anyone outside of the family. Since I've never encountered a case where a family art couldn't be passed down to their children without first going to a school of higher learning for the legal right to do it (and I can't imagine Genma doing it, or having an opportunity even if he could afford it), I'm assuming that it's not an issue.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:21 am

I don't agree with you about the high school thing but seeing as to how I don't feel like arguing about it and it's not something that matters to me I'm going to drop arguing about that (I could argue more but simply don't care enough about it to bother - yeah apathy).

And was he enthused about learning rhythmic gymnastics? What about tea ceremony?

Rhythmic gymnastics not so much (having pretty much learned it by watching Akane practice) but he was pretty interested in tea ceremony when Sentaro's grandmother used a few moves on him.

Whenever we see Ranma learning something new, it's hardly ever (if ever) because he up and decided to because he had free time and didn't know the martial art or technique. It was (almost?) always due to circumstances, as a response, usually in the form of some kind of challenge (personal or otherwise) or because he needed to resolve a problem (usually his own).

If Ranma knew where to find martial arts techniques he would go pretty much instantly. This is shown pretty clearly. He tried to get Miss Hinako to teach him, he sat and watched Happosai make a potion to learn it, he let Happosai read the scroll for the firework technique so as to see it, he's gone through Happosai's things, etc. The thing is Ranma doesn't know of any place to go and find any new techniques. He is shown to train by himself fairly often (and gets upset when interrupted like when Nabiki did so when she switched to his fiancee, he's gotten mad at Genma for leaving when they were supposed to be training for example the story arc with the kid that pretended to be sick to stay in the house all the time, he's dragged Genma to train with him, etc.)

Plus, it's not to learn martial arts, but to attain something that proves he's qualified to teach it to the public; they're two very different things.

Not all the degrees in martial arts are teaching degree's you know. For example martial arts history or research since I know for a fact that a sports college (they got them in Japan) has a Department of Martial Arts that conducts research about ancient Japanese martial arts and traditional arts from both academic and practical aspects. There are also other non teaching degrees offered at the sports colleges such as Health Sciences or Sport science where scientific research about physical education and sports is conducted to create better players. I can easily see Ranma going to school at a sports college like: Nippon Sport Science University.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm

three headed dog wrote:Rhythmic gymnastics not so much (having pretty much learned it by watching Akane practice) but he was pretty interested in tea ceremony when Sentaro's grandmother used a few moves on him.

He wasn't interested in tea ceremony at all. He was curious, but had no enthusiasm. There's one main reason for why he stuck around to learn it: it was due to his ego in response to what Sentaro's grandmother had said. "I, Saotome Ranma, have never lost any martial arts anything contest!"

If Ranma knew where to find martial arts techniques he would go pretty much instantly. This is shown pretty clearly. He tried to get Miss Hinako to teach him, he sat and watched Happosai make a potion to learn it, he let Happosai read the scroll for the firework technique so as to see it, he's gone through Happosai's things, etc. The thing is Ranma doesn't know of any place to go and find any new techniques. He is shown to train by himself fairly often (and gets upset when interrupted like when Nabiki did so when she switched to his fiancee, he's gotten mad at Genma for leaving when they were supposed to be training for example the story arc with the kid that pretended to be sick to stay in the house all the time, he's dragged Genma to train with him, etc.)

It's not shown clearly. For one, while I don't know about Ranma searching through Happosai's stuff in the anime, I don't ever recall him doing so in the manga. And Cologne is practically a walking library. While the hiryu shoten ha may have been a closely-guarded secret, there's nothing that says she or any of the Joketsuzoku can't teach any of their techniques to someone they consider worthy to learn them. And lord only knows what kind of esoteric things Tofu has, in addition to shiatsu. (Which we see Ranma use... what, only one time because he needed to use it?) And why wouldn't Ranma want to learn Hinako's technique when it dropped Happosai in a single attack? Or why isn't there any evidence that Ranma learned the breaking point when he knows how to train in order to learn it? (Because being more resistant to attacks seems like too useful a thing to be ignored.) Whenever he trains, who's to say that it's for anything new, rather than for keeping in shape or improving a style or technique(s) he already knows?

No matter how you look at it, Ranma is the type who waits for these things to drop in his lap more often than not, either because he needs them at the time (for one reason or another) or they appear useful to him (usually due to the circumstances). He shows very little initiative in learning things for the sake of learning them, just because it has something to do with martial arts. And that makes enough sense to me because Ranma seems like a rather laid-back person when nothing's going on or no one's pressing his buttons.

Not all the degrees in martial arts are teaching degree's you know. For example martial arts history or research since I know for a fact that a sports college (they got them in Japan) has a Department of Martial Arts that conducts research about ancient Japanese martial arts and traditional arts from both academic and practical aspects. There are also other non teaching degrees offered at the sports colleges such as Health Sciences or Sport science where scientific research about physical education and sports is conducted to create better players. I can easily see Ranma going to school at a sports college like: Nippon Sport Science University.

I don't see him going to one for any of those reasons at all. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 am

Which we see Ranma use... what, only one time because he needed to use it?) And why wouldn't Ranma want to learn Hinako's technique when it dropped Happosai in a single attack? Or why isn't there any evidence that Ranma learned the breaking point when he knows how to train in order to learn it? (Because being more resistant to attacks seems like too useful a thing to be ignored.) Whenever he trains, who's to say that it's for anything new, rather than for keeping in shape or improving a style or technique(s) he already knows?

No matter how you look at it, Ranma is the type who waits for these things to drop in his lap more often than not, either because he needs them at the time (for one reason or another) or they appear useful to him (usually due to the circumstances). He shows very little initiative in learning things for the sake of learning them, just because it has something to do with martial arts. And that makes enough sense to me because Ranma seems like a rather laid-back person when nothing's going on or no one's pressing his buttons.

Didn't we have this discussion before? I think in a thread about how serious a martial artist Ranma is. I also disagree with you Ranma in my opinion would happily learn any thing about martial arts that he found out (if for no other reason than ego or its usefulness but generally doesn't know where to acquire them having picked up the majority of the ones that could be found prior to the manga even starting) but you do not have to agree with me the manga is open to interpretation with many possible views often equal (or close enough to equal) value (truthfully judging by fanfiction my interpretations differ quite a bit from most people - lot of reasons possible for that such as having actually read the manga in Japanese and having more knowledge on Japanese culture than the average English speaking reader but also things like different life experiences contribute). As for pressure points/weak spots as stated in another thread Ranma used them more than once. There was the time with Miss Hinako, but also Kuno during the battle in which Ranma hit a whole bunch of them faster than Nabiki could see in a very early volume, on the Dojo Destroyer when Shampoo put the fake cures on them, the attempt to hit Ryoga's sleep spot in the girls locker room, etc. The going through Happosai stuff was (going by memory here so not sure) during the Martial arts dining story arc or the one with Lucky (also can be seen in Happosai's room trying to learn something from Happosai at other points like during the time Happosai was making a rejuvenation potion). Most of the people such as Cologne or Happosai that could theoretically teach Ranma either don't want to or would only do so with strings attached that Ranma would not want to pay the price for (such as marry Shampoo or let himself be fondled). It also appears that Ranma does improve his techniques pretty much constantly since when do we ever see him use a technique in the same way multiple times? It is far more likely like with the Hiryu Shoten Ha or the moko takabishi (double version) that he'll use a new variant on further showings rather than use it in the same way and we do see him use techniques that he had not displayed before and the training for them was not shown at all on screen (like the time he cut a perfect hole in Ryoga's house we never saw him train to do that). The thing is most of his training is not shown so it is mostly conjecture (we see very little of his training usually only snippets sometimes only a single frame off a page before it gets to the story since the training is not important to the storyline). He could have trained in many techniques that simply weren't shown because they were of limited use, excessively dangerous (Ranma does not fight to injure his opponents), other techniques were simply more practical (for example Ranma has not been in a situation where the breaking point was useful to him the one time I recall where it might be useful Ranma decided to cut a perfect hole in the wall rather than use it), etc. Whenever he trains, who's to say that it's for anything new maybe true but other options are equally valid after all who's to sat that he isn't training to learn new things or that some of the training trips mentioned but barely shown weren't to find new things?
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 am

We can only gauge what's possible off-panel/off-screen by what we see on-panel/on-screen, but that's beside the main point. Do you know of at least one occasion where Ranma just up and decides to learn some martial arts technique or style without being compelled by circumstance, or inspired by an example by someone or something other than himself? (Aside from some training trips, as I don't recall their exact purpose being given. And in some cases whose idea they were.) Something like: "You know what, I feel like learning something new. I wonder if I can find anything or anyone that will teach me something." I'm not saying he's incapable of it, but the general lack of actually seeing it in light of how often we see him learn new martial arts stuff elseways should mean that it's far more likely for him to not take the initiative (want to learn something new and make an effort to find it himself) when it comes to learning martial arts. Plus, if not for the circumstances surrounding many of the times when he learned something new, he probably wouldn't have bothered learning them at all. Just take away the challenge, the dilemma, the petty revenge, the injured pride/insulted ego, the necessity, et cetera and he wouldn't have cared about learning most of the techniques and styles we've seen him come across.

I don't recall a topic concerning how serious Ranma is as a martial artist (that's my memory for you), but I'd like to point out that there's a difference when someone's serious about martial arts and when they're serious about winning or think it's important to prove themselves. To me, Ranma is one or both of the latter two, with martial arts being a means to either one of those ends. Anyway, to more specifics.

I also disagree with you Ranma in my opinion would happily learn any thing about martial arts that he found out

I've neither seen him happy in all cases nor try to learn everything he's been exposed to (being that he's never seen learning it or using the technique or style). Even for things that are useful and/or impressive, like the toughening that results from learning the breaking point technique (there's no, "my kick feels like a baby's foot? Well, so does yours!"), the hidden weapons technique (he just pulls out things like everyone else can because it's a gag manga), or even the legendary split-body technique that Konatsu shows off.

As for pressure points/weak spots as stated in another thread Ranma used them more than once. There was the time with Miss Hinako, but also Kuno during the battle in which Ranma hit a whole bunch of them faster than Nabiki could see in a very early volume, on the Dojo Destroyer when Shampoo put the fake cures on them, the attempt to hit Ryoga's sleep spot in the girls locker room, etc.

The weak spots appear to be basic knowledge that fighters are supposed to avoid hitting in an official match. As for the "sleep spot," that seems pretty handy yet I only recall Ranma trying to use it that one time, so it may not have been a sure thing (using a shiatsu technique) and may have simply been a focused blow toward a spot that can knock someone out. (I remember others attacking with two fingers like that, and it wasn't shiatsu. No specific time comes to mind, but I'm pretty sure that Ryoga did it a time or two. The koi rod story is probably a likely place.) As for Hinako, the circumstances required learning it, since he wasn't safe from her energy-draining technique either.

The going through Happosai stuff was (going by memory here so not sure) during the Martial arts dining story arc or the one with Lucky (also can be seen in Happosai's room trying to learn something from Happosai at other points like during the time Happosai was making a rejuvenation potion).

Ranma didn't go through Happosai's stuff during the martial arts dining story (he was stuck at the Chardin's mansion), and he didn't ask the others to do it. He only entered Happosai's room to fight Lucky. The youth potion wasn't for the sake of learning the youth potion, but to (supposedly) help Happosai, who had been trying to make it.

Most of the people such as Cologne or Happosai that could theoretically teach Ranma either don't want to or would only do so with strings attached that Ranma would not want to pay the price for (such as marry Shampoo or let himself be fondled).

In the case of Happosai, I can see Ranma refusing to ask simply because he wouldn't want to be associated with him (even though he's the heir). Cologne, on the other hand, is where you're wrong. Take the Phoenix pill, for instance. She didn't make it so he had to marry Shampoo in exchange for the Phoenix pill, but made it the option if he gave up on the fighting chance she gave him. There were absolutely no strings for the hiryu shoten ha. Nor were there any strings for any other time she got involved and offered her help (the Herb, dragon whisker, and Pink and Link stories come to mind). She may want him to marry Shampoo, but there's no evidence that she would ask him to marry Shampoo if he asked her to teach him something. I think she's smart enough to not go down the "you've got no other choice" route, because that would be the best way to ensure that Ranma would never find marrying Shampoo appealing. Oh, and she didn't try to force a love pill down Ranma's throat and make him look at Shampoo. I think that's telling enough.

And, really, there's no excuse to not learn something from Tofu. Considering that the only shiatsu Ranma's ever used may have only been used on Hinako (even though shiatsu appears to be very useful), I don't see the problem with him borrowing the same book that Kasumi had once borrowed.

It also appears that Ranma does improve his techniques pretty much constantly since when do we ever see him use a technique in the same way multiple times? It is far more likely like with the Hiryu Shoten Ha or the moko takabishi (double version) that he'll use a new variant on further showings rather than use it in the same way and we do see him use techniques that he had not displayed before and the training for them was not shown at all on screen (like the time he cut a perfect hole in Ryoga's house we never saw him train to do that). The thing is most of his training is not shown so it is mostly conjecture (we see very little of his training usually only snippets sometimes only a single frame off a page before it gets to the story since the training is not important to the storyline). He could have trained in many techniques that simply weren't shown because they were of limited use, excessively dangerous (Ranma does not fight to injure his opponents), other techniques were simply more practical (for example Ranma has not been in a situation where the breaking point was useful to him the one time I recall where it might be useful Ranma decided to cut a perfect hole in the wall rather than use it), etc. Whenever he trains, who's to say that it's for anything new maybe true but other options are equally valid after all who's to sat that he isn't training to learn new things or that some of the training trips mentioned but barely shown weren't to find new things?

You can't measure his interest in martial arts, or how seriously he takes it, if what we see him do is due to something he learned out of sight (unknowable time, reason and circumstances). We can only measure this by what is seen, and it's usually through necessity and circumstances not of his choosing. Even the changes we've seen him make to techniques that we've seen him learn were done spontaneously (with the possible exception of the double moko takabisha), not due to training on his own time and terms. And being a good martial artist doesn't necessarily make someone a serious martial artist. In much the same way that a smart student can get bored with their school work and lose enthusiasm/interest.

(And I think you mean that Ranma avoids maiming his opponents, seeing as injury in general is next to impossible to avoid when it comes down to physical blows. If Ranma went far enough to prevent injury, then he'd probably use shiatsu... but he doesn't.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Polls