How do you like your fukufic served?

Post any fanfiction related polls here

When I read a fukufic, I like it when...

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 pm

Ranma has no reservations about becoming a senshi. If it's for a good cause, what does being a girl (permanent or otherwise) and wearing that getup matter?
6%
Ranma has no reservations about becoming a senshi. If it's for a good cause, what does being a girl (permanent or otherwise) and wearing that getup matter?
6%
Ranma has some reservations. The uniform or being a girl (permanent or otherwise) is a bit much, but tolerable.
6%
Ranma has some reservations. The uniform or being a girl (permanent or otherwise) is a bit much, but tolerable.
6%
Ranma is reluctant, but becomes a senshi when it's needed. He knows not to risk being a liability, or endangering someone else because he wasn't prepared.
10%
Ranma is reluctant, but becomes a senshi when it's needed. He knows not to risk being a liability, or endangering someone else because he wasn't prepared.
10%
Ranma is stubborn, and tends to be an idiot by fighting normally, despite what the situation might be. He won't transform until he's exhausted his other options, or beaten into submission.
2%
Ranma is stubborn, and tends to be an idiot by fighting normally, despite what the situation might be. He won't transform until he's exhausted his other options, or beaten into submission.
2%
Ranma is adverse to the idea of becoming a senshi, to the point where he won't do it unless his or someone else's life is literally on the line, or the choice is taken away from him.
5%
Ranma is adverse to the idea of becoming a senshi, to the point where he won't do it unless his or someone else's life is literally on the line, or the choice is taken away from him.
5%
Ranma has little to no real problem fighting enemies without being a senshi, and only transforms when the going gets tough.
5%
Ranma has little to no real problem fighting enemies without being a senshi, and only transforms when the going gets tough.
5%
Ranma finds it a challenge to fight the enemy, and needs to transform to be able to handle them, once he decides that he had tried his best as he is. (Perhaps he hopes to one day beat them without transforming.)
6%
Ranma finds it a challenge to fight the enemy, and needs to transform to be able to handle them, once he decides that he had tried his best as he is. (Perhaps he hopes to one day beat them without transforming.)
6%
Ranma can't fight the enemy normally, because they're too tough/strong/good, unaffected by his ki, drain his ki, or a combination thereof. Transforming is necessary to deal with them.
3%
Ranma can't fight the enemy normally, because they're too tough/strong/good, unaffected by his ki, drain his ki, or a combination thereof. Transforming is necessary to deal with them.
3%
Ranma becomes a senshi through no choice or awareness of his own. He's doomed regardless of the situation.
6%
Ranma becomes a senshi through no choice or awareness of his own. He's doomed regardless of the situation.
6%
Something that wasn't listed here, such as... (Ten-option limit strikes again!)
3%
Something that wasn't listed here, such as... (Ten-option limit strikes again!)
3%

Total votes : 104

How do you like your fukufic served?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I decided to take a short break from writing, and thought of this when I considered the fact that what I'm writing isn't exactly what I prefer in a fukufic.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: How do you like your fukufic served?

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Wow dark spins on so many options. If Ranma ends up permanently a girl it should be harder than situations where Ranma can still change. Really the only reason to have allot of trouble is family related and environmental. Its not like Ranma hasn't gone girl when there was a less noble purpose already. AKA Scamming treats.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:39 am

I wasn't looking at "negative," but existence. I've seen authors portray Ranma, and set up circumstances, in all of those ways. I have a tendency to add qualifiers and examples, but they're essentially negligible, more for elaboration on the idea than adding requirements.

The first five options, for instance, basically covers how he feels about being or becoming a senshi, regardless of the circumstances. The four after that are circumstances that often affect what Ranma decides to, not taking into account his feelings.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:53 am

I don't really have a preference as long as the story isw interesting and it makes sense.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:25 am

I really have no preference as long as it's an excellent story.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Ranma has no reservations about becoming a senshi.
I love Sailor Ranko, yet Ranma complaining about the costume is such an OOC. Really. He wore a (very similar) cheerleader outfit for a much lesser cause. As for his attitude towards the cheap power-ups... Remember the battle dogi arc.
Ranma's vain and shady enough to grab at the opportunity to be a Sailor warrior with both hands.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 pm

But Cheb wouldn't there be hesitance if it also required being a girl permanently?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Permanently -- hell, yes. That's a good basis for a serious drama.
In all other cases there wound be none.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 pm

I think it'd be OOC depending on the circumstances, but I generally agree with your assertion. I won't complain, though, since there are plenty contradicting examples, to the point where it's believable for him to act either way. I prefer excuses that don't stem creativity, so long as it's at least loosely based on something existent. It probably also depends on whether the basis being considered is from the anime, manga or both.

Heck, you could draw a basis from the cheerleading outfit alone. He could have looked annoyed, casual, focused, angry, bored, or a host of other damning things while he was practicing. He didn't have to look like he was having fun.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I just thought of something. What if Ranma ends up not being able to turn back immediately because the Senshi transformation purges the curse energy even though it doesn't cure it. So every time Ranma goes Senshi its at least a full day before she can return to being male. Talk about a panic attack thinking that the curse may be locked or gone the first time that comes to light.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I just thought of something. What if Ranma ends up not being able to turn back immediately because the Senshi transformation purges the curse energy even though it doesn't cure it. So every time Ranma goes Senshi its at least a full day before she can return to being male. Talk about a panic attack thinking that the curse may be locked or gone the first time that comes to light.

Oooohh, that's wicked and evil and real low down! I hope somebody writes it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Wyrd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am

Spokavriel wrote: I just thought of something. What if Ranma ends up not being able to turn back immediately because the Senshi transformation purges the curse energy even though it doesn't cure it. So every time Ranma goes Senshi its at least a full day before she can return to being male. Talk about a panic attack thinking that the curse may be locked or gone the first time that comes to light.

I've used something similar with Ranma as Neptune. Since the powers of Neptune are linked to the deep ocean, he is effectively always in contact with cold water until he learns enough control of his Senshi abilities. This makes my story the only one I am aware of where becoming/accepting being a Senshi is part of the process of becoming unlocked.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Wyrd wrote:I've used something similar with Ranma as Neptune. Since the powers of Neptune are linked to the deep ocean, he is effectively always in contact with cold water until he learns enough control of his Senshi abilities. This makes my story the only one I am aware of where becoming/accepting being a Senshi is part of the process of becoming unlocked.

Hmmm...

The Ranma/Girls Brao/Sailor Moon triple crossover has Ranma unable to change back for a short time after changing into sailor form IIRC.

Also... In Relatively Absent, Ranma's locked curse and the Guardian powers I think cause the lock to slowly degrade, I think it was mentioned that it would be a bit over 5 years unless Ranma trained to accellerate it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Polls