No votes
i dont know
No votes
i dont know
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re: Shirahama Kenichi Vs. Saotome Ranma

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:14 pm

I have watched the anime, and let me tell you, I think it honestly gives Akane more respect as a martial artist then the manga does. The dojo destroyer, for example, is played as far more competent and wicked; the fact Akane managed to hold out on her own, despite having one hand injured to the point of being useless, was no casual thing, and in the end Ranma needed her help to take him down, rather than casually knocking him out with one backhand. The anime also gives Akane a pair of opponents she fights and wins all on her own - Tamari Kaminarimon has Akane lose, look back on her mistakes, realise what the key is to beating her, then come back and score a victory: just like Ranma, while in the second Ling-Ling & Lung-Lung episode, Akane takes the two girls on two-to-one and still manages to win without any interference from Ranma, despite their dirty trick of taking to the sky and dropping bombs on her.

Also, off topic, are you still interested in that project we were working on, Wyrd?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm

My computer has supposedly been fixed. I should be getting it back Sunday or Monday. Until then, I am limiting how much time I spend online as I am using someone else's computer.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Oh, I see, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware it was a hardware issue; I thought you'd simply lost interest or been offended and left.

Also, the reason Akane's skill might be looked down upon is because the anime shows a lot more opponents of at least Akane's skill showing up. Even in the manga, characters like Kodachi, Tatewaki, Mikado Sanzenin, Azusa Shiratori, Mariko Kuonjo, Sentaro Daimonji, that Martial Arts Takoyaki guy... they're all easily Akane's skill level, so it makes her look like she isn't really that special.

I'd weight in on the topic at hand proper, but I haven't seen Mightiest Disciple - it's not out in Australia, yet.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm

I don't dislike Akane but she is the weakest skilled supporting main character that actually knows how to fight. She has done allot of things to maintain and gain strength but compared to everyone else in Nerima she is seriously handicapped because she hasn't advanced her training in what is shown to be close to 10 years. When her Mother died. It has left her with basics and allot of strength. Its enough for her to easily handle the mob on the way into school because most of them are relatively untrained jocks. But really outside of strength its a high Dan ranking Vs a Brown belt training. Her personal fighting experience outside of the school brawls has 10 years of rust. Her dad didn't spar with her after her mom died otherwise she would be better.

But the question wasn't about Akane on the poll. I'm still having trouble finding enough incidents with her using a mallet to actually make the whole Hammer space nonsense tolerable.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:38 pm

She's used the "giant mallet from nowhere" twice in the anime, while in Happosai's demented dream world ("Into the Darkness") and during the opening of the first movie, and Kasumi hands her a little one to use on Kuno during the Legendary Phoenix OAV. As far as I know, she's never actually used one in the manga.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby toushin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Here is three analogies of kenichi vs ranma choose the one you think is best. The first two are from bleach the third is from one piece.

Renji Abarai vs Byakuya Kuchiki
Renji and byakuya are likened to two people on a track. Byakuya is not running he’s just jogging (saying he’s walking is insulting to renji) not a care in the world. Meanwhile far behind him is renji who is sprinting desperately trying to surpass byakuya but no matter how hard he tries byakuya just keeps getting further and further away. Eventually he stops trying and just beings to jog content with where he is and awed at his captains strength. Then ichigo comes along, someone who used to be far behind him is now just in front of him. What makes matters worse is that ichigo is running for the same reason he used to. So renji started training and then begins sprinting again. However this time he begins to catch up and finally after pushing his body to its limits he was able to grab byakuya by his garment. Byakuya didn’t start running, he didn’t move faster all he did was stop for a moment turn around acknowledge that renji was there then start jogging again.

Suì-Fēng vs Yoruichi Shihōin
Yoruichi once a captain that put awe in the heart of her allies and fear in the heart of her enemies and some times her allies as well. She is able to defeat entire armies in a matter of seconds with an ease that someone flicking there wrist. For over 110 years she has not trained that hard if at all. During that same time she former student sui-feng has been suicidally training herself to surpass yoruichi because she felt betrayed by her. However after 110 years when she finally faces off against her she finds out yoruichi is still stronger then her and all she has done is merely caught up.

Roronoa Zoro vs Juracule "Hawk-Eyes" Mihawk
Mihawk defeated a man who puts fear in the pirates, who has mastered a sword style that lets him use three swords at once with a knife.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm

toushin wrote:Roronoa Zoro vs Juracule "Hawk-Eyes" Mihawk
Mihawk defeated a man who puts fear in the pirates, who has mastered a sword style that lets him use three swords at once with a knife.

...and? :?
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 pm

None of the analogies fit. Closest match would require either Kenichi to be subservient to Ranma in some way or Ranma to lose his ability or will to think in a fight beyond relying on his strength. This is like asking me to compare a bowling ball and an orange by saying what comparison between a soda can and a Slinky toy fits best. It doesn't work out.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby toushin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 pm

i didn't mean there positions

kenichi cannot beat ranma the best he can do is reach a level where ranma is aware he's there and maybe not impress with the skill level itself. he's impressed with the fact that someone so unassuming could grow so fast and to such a high level.

the second one shows that kenichi is close to ranma but is still a long way from matching up with him.

it is a idiotic assumption to think kenichi would register more to ranma then a fly would.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:05 pm

The problem is none of the three really look at the characters in a way that takes their personalities into account. And really that is the critical part which I am having trouble getting my head around. Its one thing to say who could or would win a fight but this goes into the interaction and well neither one really has someone close enough to what the other is like around them to give an example to go on. Not on the personality plus ability combination.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Here is my take on this, first of all remember Ranma's 2 big fights, Herb and Saffron. In both of these fights there was massive collateral damage.

(Lets set the commedy mallets aside as despite them being assoiciated with Akane others have used them too, including Soun and Nabiki, and unless I remember wrong even Ranma used it once against Kuno)

Second Ranma is able to casually pickup and throw boulders that are weighed in Tonnes, not to mention that that amount of stregnth is applied to his high speed punching attacks (I refuse to use the name atm as I am too lazy to look up the japanese name and don't want to use the english) top that off that he regularry fights Ryoga who says that he gets smashed around with that force and hardly feels it, and Ranma usually wins.

On the other side of Ranma is Mousse who is physically weaker but Ranma doesn't usually hurt worse then Ryoga showing Ranma's control in a fight.

To further the point I am afraid I must use a DBZ example to this, when Goku and Gohan came out of the room of time as super saijin they had the hardest time just eating because they kept shattering chopsticks. Ranma who has that much stregnth in his hands and does not do this (granged he never had a power up but still there should be accidents.

Kenichi on the other hand seems like someone who has Ranma's potential, but started late and did not have something or someone driving him to become some martial arts god as it were. Perhaps if Kenichi started at the same time as Ranma then there would be room to compare the two in power but as it stands it looks to me to be like trying to do a fair Ranma 1/2 / DBZ cross. It took Ranma and Herb together to colapse a mountain even by accident, but in Dragon Ball, not Z but freaking Dragon Ball itself the old pervert took out the moon on his own casually. My point there is that Kenichi stands as much chance against Ranma going after him seriously as Ranma would taking on that Master Roshi....
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:04 am

WarGiver wrote:To further the point I am afraid I must use a DBZ example to this, when Goku and Gohan came out of the room of time as super saijin they had the hardest time just eating because they kept shattering chopsticks. Ranma who has that much stregnth in his hands and does not do this (granged he never had a power up but still there should be accidents...

As best as I can remember at the end of the Moxibustion Point arc, after learning the Hiryuu Shoten Ha and getting his strength back, he did get a little overboard celebrating and caused damage on par with what Ryouga has been known to do.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:09 am

Knight of L-sama wrote:As best as I can remember at the end of the Moxibustion Point arc, after learning the Hiryuu Shoten Ha and getting his strength back, he did get a little overboard celebrating and caused damage on par with what Ryouga has been known to do.
This damage wasn't caused by unknowing lack of control though. Ranma caused all that damage because he COULD do the damage; losing himself in the joy of having the strength and ability to do so.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:29 am

Konsaki you have to admit Ranma surprised himself throwing that grounds roller. For solid ones like that and that large it normally takes a few people to even be able to keep it rolling.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Polls