Pronouns and Ranma

Post any fanfiction related polls here

How do you determine which pronoun to use for Ranma?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 pm

It depends on which body they're using at the time.
34%
It depends on which body they're using at the time.
34%
It depends on how they see themselves, regardless of what body they're using.
9%
It depends on how they see themselves, regardless of what body they're using.
9%
I just refer to them as being an "it." That makes things so much easier.
No votes
I just refer to them as being an "it." That makes things so much easier.
No votes
I can't make up my mind.
7%
I can't make up my mind.
7%
I don't pay particular attention to this detail, so it's never been an issue.
No votes
I don't pay particular attention to this detail, so it's never been an issue.
No votes

Total votes : 44

Re: Pronouns and Ranma

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 pm

*Shakes head* Yes, it is one of the ways. I've illustrated that it works for all of them, whether it's you, them, past or present. I can't be any clearer than I already have been, so... Not that it matters, if you're going to ignore the thread. Ah, well.

On another note: it seems like a lot of people determine the pronoun according to which body Ranma's using at the time. I wish I could be that decisive. ;/
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:24 pm

It depends on the situation mostly, I usually refer to the current body, but will alter that depending on the situation such as Ranma is female and not in the room and someone like Akane refers to him as he, thus it becomes heavily impacted by how the speaker sees him. Also if Ranma is monologuing internally I have seen and done odd ones where he alternates both depending on body and mood.

Thus I summon the demon of the mighty "meh" to smite your question.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Eh? What's this about smiting? Sounds like I have another person who doesn't quite understand the question... ;/ (You're not a character, unless you're self-inserted. This must be the result of our failing school system! @_@)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby BonusPoints » Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

I go with 'at the time based on body'. In thought and speech, anything goes, but anywhere else I find things are much simpler with current-body based pronouns. Doing otherwise in fan fiction gives me real trouble visualizing scenes, as the pronouns are something I use as a cue for what I'm actually seeing when sex-specific descriptions aren't being near-constantly fed into the text.

In settings where a person's physical sex (and appearance) doesn't change quite so easily, definitely based on gender identity. In the case of Ranma 1/2 it has to be body at the time.
BonusPoints
Initiate

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 pm

For me, it's completely dependent on the POV. When I tell a strory (the author's POV) I use pronouns according the current body he's in.
When I write thoughts or speech of a specific character, it depends on how that character sees Ranma (obviously, always male in the cases of Ranma himself and Akane). Many of the Senshi could think of Ranko as a "she" despite knowing the truth.
When I write Ranma's speech, he always uses male speech patterns only reverting to female when he tries to disguise himself as a woman -- just the way it is in the Japanese original. English doesn't support this, though, so this little detail is always lost in translation.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Polls