Gashapon - Anime capsules outside Japan

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Anime Gashapon dispensers - available in your area?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
25%
No
25%
what's gashapon?
5%
what's gashapon?
5%

Total votes : 20

Gashapon - Anime capsules outside Japan

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:36 am

As the question asks are there Gashapon Anime capsule dispensers in your city?

In case anyone went for the third option -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashapon

Three weeks ago I was in a mall in Vancouver (Richmond, B.C. actually) when I came across one of these capsule toy dispensers standing in front of a candy shop. Usually these dispensers have Hello Kitty, Winnie the Pooh in cosplay, various cheap plastic medalions, rings occasionally Simpsons or DC & Marvel comic characters. On this particular day as I passed I noted that this dispenser had Haurhi Suzumiya capsule figures.

Given my recent spate of Crossover pictures using such trading figures I put some money in the dispenser and turned the handle. and in the capsule was:

Now I didn't have quite enough money to buy more than one so I planned to come back and get another one. However, when I returned a few days later I found a scene worthy of Haruhi: not only was the dispenser gone, so was the candy store. ( well the spot the store had been was still there - but the store had shut down and moved out).

Today I was in a different mall, in Burnaby B.C. visiting an Anime/Manga store and in front of a different store specializing in plushies and Hello Kitty related type stuff was a capsule dispenser with Evangelion capsules. So I bought one:

Now Vancouver has a large Asian population so this may be why these Anime capsules are available here, but I am curious to know if they are available in other parts of the world outside Japan.

So, if you've answered yes to the question, where are you (general area) , what was being offered and did you buy any?
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Re: Gashapon - Anime capsules outside Japan

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:14 am

We have some. Several years ago there was a large selection of anime gashapon available like Saint Seiya or Dragon Ball Z (mostly series that have had a larga fan following in France) but lately the only anime related gashapon left are Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon, Digimon and Hello Kitty.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:35 am

One of the malls I regularly visit in my area (Northern California) does have them, though I haven't checked it, lately, to see what's in it - I think the last time I checked it, there was only one anime-related series of toys in the machines... if Hello Kitty does have any anime series. ^_^

I haven't checked the other two malls I often visit (such as the one in Sacramento) to see if they have any, though.
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:22 am

Yes, there's a Hello Kitty anime.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:23 pm

They use to be around town more back in the 80's and its smaller than the ones you've been getting. There are still a couple grocery stores I know that have a few next to the Candy dispensers. Also.. Wait no they closed when Obama signed that overtime for any work after 8 hours in a 24 hour period policy... um Well there are 2 grocery stores left in the entire city I know of that still have them but they are having trouble avoiding shutting down too with how fine print of the Economic Stimulus is effecting them.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Seeing I wasn't clear in my opening post I'm not interested in if you have the toy dispensers where you are, rather I'm interested to hear if you have seen any non-kiddy aimed anime toys in the dispensers - i.e.: based on Haruhi, Evangelion, Lucky Star, Coyboy Bebop, Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin, Oh My Goddess, Trigun Gundam, etc. (pokemon, digemon, Yu-gi-oh Dragonball, Hello Kitty etc is not )

So so far we have

Makoto in Northern California

Spokavriel in Nevada ( if I recall correctly from your references elsewhere)

Dumbledork - somewhere in Europe?
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Reno Nevada. And the Grocery Store had some explicit items in one of the dispensers. Fuzzy hand cuffs and inflatable phallus for tamer examples. But most of the places that had them are having allot of trouble surviving. But they also had character toys that I couldn't identify if I wanted to. Some with removable clothing as a highlighted feature.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:14 am

You got Europe right. Luxembourg to be precise.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 pm

"To be precise" a phrase I always associate with Thomson & Thompson (Dupont et Dupond) from The Adventures of Tintin

The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Return to Polls