Ukyo
No votes
Ukyo
No votes
Shampoo
No votes
Shampoo
No votes
Two of the above (please post and specify which two)
No votes
Two of the above (please post and specify which two)
No votes
All three of the above
13%
All three of the above
13%

Total votes : 8

Who should I give a Familiar to?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm

As people may know from other polls I've brought up in the past, I plan on writing a Ranma/D&D fanfiction in the future. With the release of the Arcane Power sourcebook, the prospect of Familiars has arisen... and as the only prerequisite is an Arcane class, that means all three of the Neremites are eligible (Ranma: Swordmage, Ukyo: Wizard, Shampoo: Sorcerer). I wasn't sure which character(s) would work best with one, so that's part of the reason why I'm here.

The second reason is simple; there's a fairly large number of Familiars, and I'm not certain which ones would best "mesh" with any given member of the trio. If you cast a vote, or even if you don't, would you mind leaving a post with your nominations for which Familiar you think would work best with which character? For the curious, Heroic Tier Familiars can be taken pretty much straight away, Paragon Tier Familiars won't show up until "Book 2" (we've functionally divided the story into three "books", each of which covers a different time in their "campaign"), and Epic Tier Familiars are only availible in "Book 3".

Additionally, or alternatively, I could use advice on making whatever Familiars show up in the story unique. There are four areas for this; Appearance, Personality Quirks, Passive Mode, and Passive/Active Transition. That is, what they look like, any personality quirks, what they look like in Passive format (I'll explain that in a second), and what happens when they transition from one mode to another.

You see, Familiars are magical spirits called into being by and bound to service of an arcanist, so they have two "modes". In active mode, they materialise in the corporeal world and can act independently of the arcanist- in this state, though, they are vulnerable (though destroying them merely banishes them for a time). In passive mode, they mostly phase out of existence, so they cannot be attacked in this state, but they grant only a lesser boon and must always remain close to the wizard- this usuall results in them transforming some way. Appearance, in both forms, can be quite spectacular; these are beings of pure magic, so something like a bat made of living metal or a skull carved from a solid piece of quartz is quite viable. As is a bound demon that normally exists as a tattoo on its master's chest, or a spider that transforms from a palm-sized jet bead.

For an example, here is Geryon, a Book Imp. It looks like a multitude of writing-covered pages wrapped and twisted together to form a (mummy-like) diabolic humanoid form. It has the quirk of being deeply afraid of fire, even though it's not inherently flammable. In passive mode, it looks like a book. When activated, the book shudders and shakes before springing open as a storm of pages fly from it and wrap together into Geryon. When returned to passive mode, it comes apart and flies back into the bindings.

I welcome any and all posts to this topic: I want to hear from you, so please respond? And here is the complete list of availible Familiars. Oh, and if you want an explanation on what a given type of Familiar is (like the [Colour]Spawns, for example), then just post your query here and I'll answer the minute I see it.

Heroic Tier
Arcane Eye
Badger
Bat
Book Imp
Bound Demon
Canine Construct
Cat
Crafter Homunculus
Disembodied Hand
Dragonling
Falcon
Fire Lizard
Ooze
Owl
Lightning Lizard
Parrot
Rat
Raven
Rootling
Scout Homunculous
Serpent
Skull
Spider
Toad
Weasel

Paragon Tier
Air Mephit
Arcane Wisp
Beholderkin
Blackspawn Darkling
Bluespawn Nimblespark
Earth Mephit
Fire Mephit
Greyspawn Shortfang
Greenspawn Banespike
Ice Mephit
Rakshasa Claw
Redspawn Spitfire
Stone Fowl
Whitespawn Snowstepper

Epic Tier
Blazing Skull
Chaos Shard
Gibbering Pet
Shadow Incarnate
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Who should I give a Familiar to?

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 pm

You know without reading everything or voting I could kinda see Ranma with a Raven. He's not book smart but he is cunning and annoys the heck out of people. I've seen ravens do that.

I see Shampoo with a Tiger She often comes out of no where and for tigers you find in the wild you see the females are extremely devoted to family.

The only thing in the list (And there are many of them I don't know enough about to say on) I can see Ukyo with is a sealed daemon and then only if it is sealed within her spatula.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm

I agree with Spokavriel on Ranma and Shampoo, but I see Ukyo with a Chaos Shard as a wizard.
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Bound Demons are basically very minor demonic spirits, just barely Imp level. In older editions, the Quasit would be an example. And the name just means that they are bound to obey the arcanist, not that they are sealed up in something, just so you know.

Hmm... a proper Tiger would be an Animal Companion, but I could use the Cat familiar and reflavor it, both in appearance and in personality, as a miniaturized tiger.

A Chaos Shard, if you're curious, is a floating, shifting mote of light or crystal, rumored to be a portion of its master's very mind given physical form.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:39 pm

there is always the idea od the bound demon for ranma for which kuno becomes the one person who makes it that way though...with kuno always going off about the foul sorcerour ranmas though....

badgers...we dont need no stinking badgers....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 pm

or the idea from one of the fics i read this past week....

the cat on ranmas head, its not a cat. its a grey furry thing that loves nuts....and a bushy tale(just to get around the cat thing he is so scared of)
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Polls