Kasumi and human pressure points

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Why would she have a book concerning human pressure points?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:23 am

It was an attempt to attract Tofu's attention.
No votes
It was an attempt to attract Tofu's attention.
No votes
She was actually interested in learning about them, for one reason or another.
14%
She was actually interested in learning about them, for one reason or another.
14%
It was just a passing curiosity since Akane has to be treated with such methods, often enough.
7%
It was just a passing curiosity since Akane has to be treated with such methods, often enough.
7%
Takahashi used it as a meaningless plot device.
21%
Takahashi used it as a meaningless plot device.
21%
There's another reason for why she had it. (Feel free to share it. ;p)
7%
There's another reason for why she had it. (Feel free to share it. ;p)
7%

Total votes : 14

Kasumi and human pressure points

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sat May 16, 2009 2:23 am

It's just one of those mysteries left open for interpretation. So... Interpret away. ^^
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat May 16, 2009 3:18 am

My personal opinion is a mixture of two and three, with maybe a trace of some other reasons too. Kasumi is a fairly bright girl, if rather sheltered, and while doing housework would eat up most of her time, she would have some time to herself- and cleaning and cooking don't exactly give your brain much to do. Medical knowledge is very study extensive and it comes in handy in a house with someone like Akane- and probably more so after Ranma and his father move in (though I admit that I believe Ranma and Genma take care of most of Ranma's wounds). In fact, she might even have had ambitions of becoming a nurse or a doctor before she had to start running the house.

Personally, I don't think she would have been using it as a ploy to attract Tofu's attention. Outside of the "Red Shoe Sunday" ending theme for the last half-dozen OAVs, she's never given any sign of being interested in him. And given that he goes into hysterics at the mere mention of her name, coupled with her own naivety, I doubt she would even be aware of his attraction to her. Besides which, someone as responsible and dutiful as Kasumi probably wouldn't be attracted to an apparent goofball like Tofu anyway- her distaste for younger men in the first episode/volume likely stems from her belief that such a "candidate" would be terribly immature.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sat May 16, 2009 4:14 am

Since Kasumi doesn't show medical skills or shiatsu techniques at any point later in the series to my knowledge, I'll assume it was a pointless plot device in order to give Tofu a comedic quirk and prevent him from becoming a useful role model to Ranma that would make the plot more serious, as well as instill silliness in more main characters. Kasumi simply provided a foil to make Tofu loony in that arc, and later on, likely the only reason she didn't disappear from the story like Tofu did was because she was one of the Tendo sisters.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat May 16, 2009 5:37 am

Nekomata-sensei wrote:Since Kasumi doesn't show medical skills or shiatsu techniques at any point later in the series to my knowledge, I'll assume it was a pointless plot device in order to give Tofu a comedic quirk and prevent him from becoming a useful role model to Ranma that would make the plot more serious, as well as instill silliness in more main characters. Kasumi simply provided a foil to make Tofu loony in that arc, and later on, likely the only reason she didn't disappear from the story like Tofu did was because she was one of the Tendo sisters.

What he said. That's my opinion too.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 16, 2009 8:55 am

She was borrowing books from an acupuncturist, skilled in Moxibustion. And with how Tofu gets so silly around her she probably has repeatedly gone to borrow books asking for information on healing something simple and just happened to have had this book be one that survived the silliness to get into her hand for her to borrow it.

I figure she actually reads all the books she can get even if she knows Tofu is too silly to give her what she is actually asking for.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Polls