Nyanniichuan mishap: who's the best target?

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Who should get splashed with the runaway Nyanniichuan?

Mousse
11%
Mousse
11%
Ryoga
11%
Ryoga
11%
Genma
11%
Genma
11%
Soun
17%
Soun
14%

Total votes : 35

Nyanniichuan mishap: who's the best target?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:27 pm

This vague scenario has come to me recently, though at this point I don't know whether I'll use it as a oneshot on its own or as a component in an ongoing serial. Anyway, the basics are that Mousse overhears Cologne and Shampoo talking about a delivery that is about to arrive/which has arrived; a barrel of real -not Instant, not Powdered, the real deal- Jusenkyo Water. Immediately reasoning that this can only be Nanniichuan, brought from China as a bribe for Ranma, he immediately steals it. During the course of his escape, others promptly join into the fray as they try to steal it for their own selfish desires (Ryoga & Genma want to use it themselves, Soun wants to use it to bribe Ranma to marry Akane)- in fact, the only one who doesn't get involved in the chase is Ranma himself.

Why? Because Cologne sends Shampoo after Mousse and goes to head off Ranma herself, to warn him that the cask is not Nanniichuan, the Spring of Drowned Boy, but Nyanniichuan, the Spring of Drowned Girl. She and Shampoo intended to use it to cure Shampoo, so Ranma would stop fleeing from the mere sight of her. Unfortunately for the dimbulbs, they only discover this fact after their fighting causes the cask to break and spill the water over someone.

Just so folks know, I ascribe to the theory of 'curses overwrite each other unless the second curse is mental only, or only a small amount is used on the victim', so keep that in mind.

Oh, and I suppose that Happosai is a viable candidate (he'd want to destroy the barrel so that Ranma never loses his curse), but would anyone really want to see him with a girl curse? Either he'd be an ugly old woman, perhaps more hideous than Cologne, or he'd have the body of a sexy young woman... which means not only would you have a girl who has Happosai's exact personality (squick), but Happosai would possibly have an infinite supply of ki, making him something like ten times more powerful, at least (run for your life!).
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:38 pm

There are a lot of things that I could have responded to in that post, but I'm going to move right along to which of the four listed would get splashed.

I'd say that Soun would. At least, if I had to assume that Takahashi was behind the scenario, either he or no one would get cursed. The reason why I went with Soun is because, simply, he's not cursed, and him becoming a young girl has more peculiar roads of comedy to explore than had the others gotten splashed, who more or less wouldn't offer much beyond what had already been explored by Ranma himself.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Why isn't Tatewaki Kuno in that list? You'd think with his two timing Misogynistic ways he would be actively targeted by that cursed water.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 pm

I don't suppose you'd mind sharing your thoughts on what comedic possibilities Soun being cursed offers? I'm not being sarcastic, mind, I'm genuinely curious.

Likewise, what were the other things in my post you felt you could have responded to?

EDIT: two reasons, really; one, I forgot about him, and two; I didn't see how he could have gotten involved in the pursuit of the Nyanniichuan, as he has no knowledge of Jusenkyo and, even if he did, no reason to want the "Nanniichuan". Should I edit the first post to add him as an option, though?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm

I won't respond to them because they'd just derail the topic. And I don't feel like doing something pointless since, for the most part, it'd just be a clash of opinions. So... Back to Soun. :P

I can't say I've put much thought into the possibilities, but I know there would be instances with his daughters, at the very least. One or more of them could tease him about being their mother, or sister, depending on the age the nyannichuan bestows on him. It'd be funny if Nodoka got the wrong idea about her husband spending so much time with Soun, if he spent enough time in his female form. Hinako's reaction might be interesting. And I'd wonder what it'd do for Soun's and Ranma's relationship, since they now have something in common. You know, would it bring them closer, spend more time together, or get into the usual hijinks together? Stuff like that. Also, if he were to become young, and he'd no doubt get splashed often enough in public, how does he act around others that age. Does he happen to attract girl friends when he's a girl? Does he humor them and end up getting sucked into friendships he can't abandon so readily?
Last edited by Crescent Pulsar on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm

It's been shown in a few runs through Nerima. All either of the Kunos have to see is Ranma on the Run and they will join in trying to capture or attack for their own personal reasons no matter what the true point of the chase is.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Yeah, you might as well add Kuno. A Happosai is fine, too.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Alright, if anyone can tell me how to edit the poll, I'll add those other options.

Spokavriel: problem is, Ranma isn't part of the parade this time. I specifically said that Cologne forsaw his desire to participate and went ahead to warn him that this wasn't a situation where he'd want to get involved.

Crescent Pulsar: you're talking about the curses overwriting, aren't you? Then I thank you from refraining mentioning it- I don't like the vehemence such arguments tend to install.

On the girls teasing him... while I could see Nabiki doing that, wouldn't Akane (and maybe Kasumi) be horrified and/or terribly upset by their dad getting a curse that, in their own words, makes the one who has it seem like a freak? Wierd thought: might Kasumi, in one of her borderline-vapid moments, ask if Soun-chan is going to get them a new sister/brother? That would probably make Soun faint and squick out the others beyond all belief though...

Ranma and Soun's relationship? Probably nothing, really; Ranma would be able to sympathise (or at least empathise), and might give "her" some advice, but just because Soun has the same curse it doesn't mean Soun experiences the same circumstances. Not to mention that the idea of being around and/or accused of being attracted to a girl he knows is really a man (and a man old enough to be his father, no less) would probably freak Ranma out as much, or even more so, than the idea of being attracted to another guy.

As for how Soun would act in girl form... to be honest, I'd think he'd take it even worse than Ranma, partly because of his personality, partly because of how overdramatic he is. So he absolutely refuses to allow himself to act in any way other than what he does as a man, regardless of how weird/silly he makes himself look.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Alright, if anyone can tell me how to edit the poll, I'll add those other options.

Been too long for me to know how it works, or if it works, here.

Crescent Pulsar: you're talking about the curses overwriting, aren't you? Then I thank you from refraining mentioning it- I don't like the vehemence such arguments tend to install.

Not exactly. It was part of it, but not the bulk. It wasn't such a big deal.

On the girls teasing him... while I could see Nabiki doing that, wouldn't Akane (and maybe Kasumi) be horrified and/or terribly upset by their dad getting a curse that, in their own words, makes the one who has it seem like a freak? Wierd thought: might Kasumi, in one of her borderline-vapid moments, ask if Soun-chan is going to get them a new sister/brother? That would probably make Soun faint and squick out the others beyond all belief though...

I'm sure that Akane would. She has teased him and offended him before, regardless of how he might react to it. I don't think she'd be terribly sympathetic, much like Nabiki probably wouldn't be. Kasumi... I couldn't say. Probably not intentionally, though.

Ranma and Soun's relationship? Probably nothing, really; Ranma would be able to sympathise (or at least empathise), and might give "her" some advice, but just because Soun has the same curse it doesn't mean Soun experiences the same circumstances. Not to mention that the idea of being around and/or accused of being attracted to a girl he knows is really a man (and a man old enough to be his father, no less) would probably freak Ranma out as much, or even more so, than the idea of being attracted to another guy.

I was afraid you'd assume "relationship" to mean more than acquaintanceship/friendship. ;/

As for how Soun would act in girl form... to be honest, I'd think he'd take it even worse than Ranma, partly because of his personality, partly because of how overdramatic he is. So he absolutely refuses to allow himself to act in any way other than what he does as a man, regardless of how weird/silly he makes himself look.

It's part of his personality that would make him fit in so well, since he's so emotional. ;p However, while he tends to act strongly against something at the start, he usually caves in in submission. Regardless, if a girl his own age (as a girl) approached him in the street, and struck up a conversation, I don't think he'd immediately run, ignore it, or something like that. He's the kind of guy would be considerate and, perhaps, come up with an excuse to leave, and hope they don't meet again under the same circumstances (he being a girl). But I can see him getting drawn into a friendship with a girl who happens to be present often enough when he's out (and what with how often the cursed tend to get splashed by cold water), and start to angst over hiding his curse since he'd be more concerned about the girl's reaction than his potential loss of friendship. But that's just me. I consider him to be a kind and considerate guy, for the most part. Though that's just an arguable opinion.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:32 pm

If I remember correctly to edit the Poll you edit your first post and have options for the poll after the main text box. It's been a while since I edited a poll after I had made the first post so I'm a bit uncertain.

As for how Tatewaki could be there without being part of the chase maybe they could run across him just before the Nynanichuan cask gets broken? It's not like people haven't come out of stores or other buildings in Ranma to end up the unwitting target of misfortune before.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Yarrow » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Tatewaki would be an interesting choice. While everyone would expect him to finally realize the truth about Ranma, he'd instead fall in love with his reflection, at first not realizing it's himself but eventually deciding foul sorcery has cursed him and his kendo goddess so they are always together yet always apart. I wonder if his trial separation from reality is so far advanced that he'd actually develop a separate persona for his female form.
"When she was born, wolves came to try to raise her as one of their own. Sometimes we wonder if we were wrong to stop them."
Yarrow
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:59 pm

Talk about a twist on the Tale of Narcissus. But I think Tatewaki would still end up realizing the truth after attempting to go to the bathroom. He may be delusional enough to ignore it most of the time but there are some things even he can understand loud and clear.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Yarrow » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:08 pm

That's when he'd start thinking that the two of them have been cursed so that attains his new love--but only her body, and not in the way he desires. Or the shock could push him fully over the edge, making him believe he actually is the new girl he's fallen for.
"When she was born, wolves came to try to raise her as one of their own. Sometimes we wonder if we were wrong to stop them."
Yarrow
Senshi Candidate

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Has Takahashi ever once mentioned anything, or hinted in the use of, a toilet? XD

But, yeah, Kuno would be an interesting case, if he got the nyannichuan curse.

One way that he could deal with it, is compare his condition to Ranma, remember how the pigtailed girl was Ranma's in body and soul, and decide that he had been the victim of the same curse. But just as he tells Ranma that, which makes it seem like he finally gets it, Ranma is proved wrong when he says how he (Ranma) cursed an innocent girl to be under his (Kuno's) full control, like Ranma had done with the pigtailed girl, and now thinks of him as even more vile and perverted than ever.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Unfortunately, polls can't be edited, so I'm afraid I can't add Kuno to the official list up there. But please, continue with this fascinating discussion (no, I'm not being sarcastic- and if you wonder why I keep saying this, it's because the written medium doesn't convey sarcasm or lack thereof the way vocal medium does, and I don't want to tick anyone off who takes a comment of mine the wrong way).

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Polls