Do you save Fanfiction to your hard drive?

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Do You save fan-fiction to your hard drive?

Yes - If I think I'll read it again
20%
Yes - If I think I'll read it again
20%
Yes - but only for offline reading
9%
Yes - but only for offline reading
9%
Yes - not only do I save it but I've even printed some out
11%
Yes - not only do I save it but I've even printed some out
11%
No - I only read online
9%
No - I only read online
9%
What's Fanfiction?
1%
What's Fanfiction?
1%

Total votes : 148

Postby Vilkath » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Plus there is an added benfit some times, I don't know about any one else but I often correct spelling errors and such in stories I really like on my personal version. If I like the story enough to save it, no reason to leave a glaring mistake in it when it could be corrected and it saves me the trouble of every time I re-read the story to see them again.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby dogbertcarroll » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Heh, I've done that too.
--------------------
I was given the choice between sanity and creativity.

I chose waffles.

-dogbertcarroll

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/284419/
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/a ... rroll.html
dogbertcarroll
Senshi Cadet

Re: Do you save Fanfiction to your hard drive?

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:23 pm

as for hearts of ice, chapter 25 and 26 where up for reveiw and CC on the FFml a few weeks ago.

I have saved lots of stuff. I will go though and download lots of fics for reading offline, if i like i save it, if it sucks i wipe it off the drive.

my daved files are up to 178mb right now, i have 7.51mb that i am going though and reading right now as i get the chance. i have saved lots of dead fics and others i try to keep up with though it does get hard to keep track of stuff all the time of storys you might like.
some of my fav writers are
troy stanton
biles
hosmer
the writer of boy scouts 1/2(a ranma drowned spring fic with out the cast except ryoga and the guide)
the writer of made of stone
FIRE
the writer of the satome gambit(battletech/ranma cross)
the bgc SI of burt
the writer of drunkards walk
daveis
and lots of others i can not think off the top of my head
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Oh, definitely! I'm almost up to a gigabyte of stored (and backed up) fanfic now. Link-rot is a fact of life, and some stories are so good I cannot help but want to read them again. And who knows what I'll want to read next week or next year? So I save them all.

Since bookbinding is one of my hobbies, I've proofread a number of stories, printed them out, and bound them as hardcover books. Make a copy for the author(s) too, as a way of saying thanks.

I'm not sure what I'll bind next -- the most likely candidates are Till Our Lives Burn Out or a collection of Sailor Moon yuri. Probably the latter, as Phoenix2772 has told me he's in the process of rewriting the former. Maybe Hearts of Ice, when/if it's done.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby talonhunter » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I myself have allot of Fanfiction on my hard drive, as well as on several jump drives and on cd's somewhere. I know that on one of those locations are some loost jems that are no longer arround...the only problem is I forgot where I put them at. :(
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am

I'm starting to keep fics on my HD, but it's mostly stuff not available at FF.net. This is especially since the site which has Sailor Moon: Millennials (fanfic.net) no longer seems active, and links to Linda Shen's Fragments seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

I'm currently considering finding something open source to do layout so I can create a PDF copy of the entire Shadow Chronicles and Destiny's Child. I don't think LaTeX is the right tool for that job.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Kilich » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:31 am

I saved only a few fics, either because I was afraid that they'll dissapear or to read them in a more comfortable reader.

All of Thy Outward Part related fics.
Ranma & Akane: A Love Story.
Onslaught of the Red Haze.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Does it count if it's your own? <_<;

Otherwise, no. Maybe I would have several years ago, if I thought about it, but I didn't and I rarely read fan-fiction anymore.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 am

I've been archiving fanfics since the early 90s. :D
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:30 am

Absolutely... for both Anime/Manga Fanfiction, and AMV's, including the less preferred and normally streamed ones.

Part of it is to save them, since I've been burned once or twice where I started to read a story and the author removed it on me.

Part of it is that I prefer to read off-line.

Part of it is my listing and tracking system.

I actually keep most stuff I do on-line. I've almost never lost anything more than a few minutes of stuff. As I back up very often. I also organize and categorize everything, so practically nothing gets misplaced.

Current statistics...

Currently:

Anime Fansubs
- 3 partial series across 981mb in 7 files / 3 folders (this gets cleared out a lot, as a series finished, I burn it off to DVD or CD).

Anime Media
- 472 AMV's & tons of picture/music files across 22.4gb in 4,468 files / 584 folders of ASF, AVI, BMP, FLAC, FLV, GIF, ISO, JPG, MID, MKV, MOV, MP3, MP4, MPC, MPG, PNG, RM, SWF, WAV, WMV.

FanFiction Related - non-lemon related
- 3636 stories across 3.32gb in 40,721 files / 2,889 folders (inflated due to images directories and Doujinshi/Scanlations)

Currently, there is one downloaded series, one partial manga, and around 7 updates not accounted for in the above.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I mainly read it online. I also write some myself.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ariolander » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:40 pm

I save just about everything worthwhile thats not hosted on FF.net... and most of the stuff on FF.net too ever since I found a simple ripper app. Its become a habit of mine ever since my fav. author sites started disappearing. Beyond my parenoia though there is a practical reason for DLing everything to my HD too. I use ebook readers so having fanfiction on my HD in .txt format makes it super easy to load them up for some reading on the go.

Likewise I even printed and binded some of the more epic ones. My record for longest fic I have a hardcopy of is all 181 pages of "The Bitter End". I have an elaborate binding and even made some covers for it. (I go to the office at night an abuse the equipment) Whenever I want to get depressed or just re-watched some of my anime box sets and wanna remind myself why I hate Akane I always break that one out.
Ariolander - Neko (Mimi) Mode
Anime, Manga,
And Video Games, Haiku
Of My Pastimes
Ariolander
Senshi Candidate

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I've honestly never saved fanfiction to my computer. I tend to read it online, and that's it.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:07 am

Oh, I save'em allright, and sometimes even whole fic sites. I'm thus less affected by Anifics Down than most. Btw.. if anyone hasn't found out yet, TheGrum has moved to thegrum.com.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Té Rowan wrote:Oh, I save'em allright, and sometimes even whole fic sites. I'm thus less affected by Anifics Down than most. Btw.. if anyone hasn't found out yet, TheGrum has moved to thegrum.com.

Ehhh... he has been there for years...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Polls